Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The new force of will is fine but doesn't have enough abs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

cheetah7071 posted:

The new force of will is fine but doesn't have enough abs.

:agreed:

It's a bit hard to make iconic art for a card that already has iconic abs art

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"Let's redo the art of one of the most iconic cards ever and not include the sweet abs it has" -- some dingus at wizards

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

cheetah7071 posted:

"Let's redo the art of one of the most iconic cards ever and not include the sweet abs it has" -- some dingus at wizards

Imagine a Jojo force of will. :allears:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

standard.deviant posted:

This is only true if the director is better at composition than the artist is. While that is likely true on balance, it is not a safe assumption in all cases. For what it's worth, it's the same reason micro-management makes sense in fast food but not higher-skilled jobs.

The director's skill is actually completely irrelevant because they're the ones making the request, if they request a puce and mauve spiral vomiting bright red suns towards the upper right corner, that will be hideous but it will be what they want, and work for hire design is about giving them what they want. If the wanted that spiral but didn't specify any of those colors, it would be a loving nightmare to try to please them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chill la Chill posted:

Imagine a Jojo force of will. :allears:
You thought it was a spell, but it was me, Dio!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lord Psychodin posted:

I only read here once in a while, but I must post this terrible tragedy I have spotted.
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/703728132247912448
How could anyone do that to a black lotus even if it was Unlimited?

Everyone else already covered these but they're not beta, they're unlimited with blacked borders.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Star Man posted:

My favorite thing about this thread is a bunch of non-artists talking about how art direction should be done. lol

im an artist

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Lord Psychodin posted:

I only read here once in a while, but I must post this terrible tragedy I have spotted.
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/703728132247912448
How could anyone do that to a black lotus even if it was Unlimited?

Because it's their own cardboard with wizards on it, so they can do whatever the gently caress they want with it? Just a thought. (I find it butt ugly, mind you, and probably will not play Magic with someone who shows up with these, but I am not particularly angry about their existence, since what's the use? It's someone else's property).

Star Man posted:

My favorite thing about this thread is a bunch of non-artists talking about how art direction should be done. lol

I'm an artist. I don't claim I'm particularly good or anything, but I am decent enough to sustain myself off of commission work. Mind you the "make it iconic" bit on the art direction is, without a doubt, the dumbest thing on that whole bit. The actual description for the piece is fine.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jenx posted:

Because it's their own cardboard with wizards on it, so they can do whatever the gently caress they want with it? Just a thought. (I find it butt ugly, mind you, and probably will not play Magic with someone who shows up with these, but I am not particularly angry about their existence, since what's the use? It's someone else's property).

I'm an artist. I don't claim I'm particularly good or anything, but I am decent enough to sustain myself off of commission work. Mind you the "make it iconic" bit on the art direction is, without a doubt, the dumbest thing on that whole bit. The actual description for the piece is fine.

Not only am I an artist, but I manage outsource artists and literally write these kinds of briefs :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jenx posted:

Well the level of detail might be fine. The actual description leads to a piece that doesn't actually look iconic or like force of will.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Dysgenesis posted:

I was thinking of going, did you go to the Manchester one?

Yep it was great. Well organised and had the same big tournament feel as the old style ptqs.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The decision on what the art should depict is just worse, generally, than the two already extant pictures, of abs man living through being seared and of a woman using her will to literally block flames.

I think the error is in trying to use the same general aesthetic for the art, because if the color scheme and general concept is the same, the new art will be subsumed by the old one in terms of recognition/iconicism.

The level of detail isn't a bad thing, it's the actual art direction, not the process, which is at fault.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Pauper chat: I'm gravitating towards Soul Sisters because that deck gets into my reptilian brain and I want to play it in every format, forever. There's a G/W list going around, but it seems to trade a bunch of tempo for a chance at a quick combo win. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Don't splash green for wardens 13-16 in Pauper. You're fine with mono-W. Soul Warden + Soul's Attendant + Suture Priest is plenty. Throw in some Raise The Alarm, Squadron Hawk, and Gather the Townsfolk and you've got your early curve covered. Triplicate Spirits & Cenn's Enlistment/Battle Screech for the late game drops.

suicidesteve posted:

I mean you listed the 3 reasons why using a paper legality list is really stupid so glad we agree?

Uhhhhhhh, no. While it's probably a good thing CK banned the cards they did for their tournaments, paper legality works just fine at my shop:

http://imgur.com/a/9IvkA
10 folks showed up for Pauper today. Despite the internet's insistence that paper commons like Hymn to Tourach and High Tide absolutely must be banned, we do just fine using the paper list and MTGO banlist. I think it has something to do with the regularity and payouts: weekly and low. We don't have modern staples, or an Underground Sea/Tropical Island like another local shop awarded, as prizes so the incentive to play the most busted deck just isn't there. You get a pack just for playing and there's a bonus pack at 1-1-1 and 3-0 if you showed up the previous week.

Decks I saw today:

2x Burn
White Weenies
Suicide Black
Acid Trip
Stompy
Bogles
Homebrew deck I forgot to check out
GB something I didn't catch. Red Shirt in the gallery is playing it if anybody wants to take a guess.
MBC
Angler Delver (just for fun, played Burn in the tournament)
WURG something (kitty/kuldotha?) (for fun, vs UB Delver)
White Tokens (just for fun, I also played Burn in the tournament and got paired against the Suicide Black deck)

Delver made a poor showing today; I normally see 2 or 3 with a turnout like this. Nice change of pace! 0 in the tournament is pretty remarkable.

Guy I've mostly seen play MBC was on Burn today and played a friendly UB Delver. Looked like he was running the most recent Leagues deck, I'm on a pre-Leagues version with a buncha bad substitutes I haven't bothered to replace (I run stuff I found in the 3/$1 boxes. Volcanic Hammer looks awesome, but it's a sorcery speed Lightning Strike. Found the Scouring Sands in the bulk boxes, kinda like them as "overloaded Electrickery" 3&4)

The "aggro" player decided to build Acid Trip for some drat reason. It's a neat deck but not one I'd ever expect him to play. Apparently Curse of the Pierced Heart is really annoying to play against in paper and if you make the mistake of telling me it annoys you, well, I'm going to keep the risky hand with 2 Curses and 1 land. A bunch of people have told me it's annoying and I've made great use of it. I'd play more than 4 if I could. Both of us played our first ever Pauper match against each other; he was on mono-r heroic aka "draft leavings, the deck." W-L-W with the "burn combos off for lethal" finish. He bounced his lifegain land a few times and used a flicker effect that +1/+1'd his Lone Missionary and Hydroblast something and Reality Acid on a Curse the match he won.

GB Dredge dude has all of his commons sorted in a box so he can put something together a few hours ahead of time. Still kicking myself for not seeing what he built. He's not running Pulse of Murasa yet in his dredge deck, thank god. Apparently he's solved the Eldrazi modern problem with homebrew GW hatebears: recurring land destruction.

Went Loss-Loss to White Weenie. I've been meaning to buy some Flaring Pain and just never get around to it. Fireblast, Fireblast, Shard Volley, Needle Drop is not what you want to see in your hand with a COP:R on the field...not that you'd like to see that in your hand any other time. Dude sleeved up Affinity for his first Pauper tournament, switched to WW because he wanted something more straight forward. Pretty sure I've drawn no-land hands like the above against him before. Mull-to-4 is basically a scoop when you're playing Burn.

Burn Vs "Suicide Black" with white splash? Uhhhhhh. We've got 35 minutes left want to play some friendlies against my tokens deck? T1 War Falcon, T2 Loyal Cathar. I Searing Blaze'd the Loyal Cathar 'cause I didn't RTFC.

http://universegames.com/store/index.php?main_page=index

https://calendar.google.com/calenda...xml#eventpage_6

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cernunnos posted:

Went to my LGS for FNM today since work called me in last week and I missed out. Found out they were scheduling a Pauper event for the middle of next month. :toot::toot::toot:

Apparently one of the guys last week wanted to make it printed-at-common-in-paper only (Battle Screech :saddowns: ) but I think I've convinced the owner to go with Paper + Online with the ban-list that Card Kingdom was/is using (Online list + Goblin Grenade, High Tide, Sinkhole, and Hymn). Hopefully it goes well and we can do it again.

Does anyone think anything else needs to be banned or is the CK list good enough to keep things under control? It's a fairly small shop so I don't exactly expect everyone to show up with some insane deck if something is broken but I'd hate for someone to show up with cards-i-own.dec, get completely :fuckoff:-ed because the "usual suspects" (3 guys who are pretty cool most of the time but probably wouldn't hesitate to do it) realized something busted got overlooked, and then completely abandon the format. It'll be bad enough for them going up against any actual Pauper decks when their deck is built out of just Standard-cards-from-the-last-few-years/whatever-the-shop-has-lying-around (not much more than that honestly) let alone some busted thing.

You should probably use the CK banlist despite my earlier post.

Jenx posted:

So what cards actually get lost if you just play with common-on-paper cards? Battle screech is one, but what else?

Chainer's Edict is the other big loss. Arrogant wurm. Paper gains like 400 basically unplayable cards, many of which have strictly better versions printed, some Conspiracies you'll only see in brews and a "split 2 damage any way you choose" duel deck card for burn I haven't seen played. There's like 1 white Conspiracy and 1 black Conspiracy that are interesting. The black one is "edict or take 4 damage" iirc with "edict" as the tiebreaker. It's... not great.

You can play Desert if you use paper commons. Gorilla Shaman is a massive gently caress YOU to affinity in the sideboard ("R, destroy all your lands" 'cause Pauper affinity actually plays Affinity cards and full playsets of the artifact lands). Kird Ape. Goblin Grenade.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 28, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gorilla Shaman is modo legal for pauper, dawg

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My LGS now has a weekly FoW event, and a poster and poo poo. How long before the FoW company becomes a target of Wizards legal? Or does the fugly look sufficiently mask any similarities?

(Regardless of whether Wotc has any grounds for a complaint)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Rinkles posted:

My LGS now has a weekly FoW event, and a poster and poo poo. How long before the FoW company becomes a target of Wizards legal? Or does the fugly look sufficiently mask any similarities?

(Regardless of whether Wotc has any grounds for a complaint)

Considering Hex just had to change starting life total and a couple of names, I think FoW is probably safe

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Considering Hex just had to change starting life total and a couple of names, I think FoW is probably safe

As long as they weather the legal battle.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

You should probably use the CK banlist despite my earlier post.

Chainer's Edict is the other big loss. Arrogant wurm. Paper gains like 400 basically unplayable cards, many of which have strictly better versions printed, some Conspiracies you'll only see in brews and a "split 2 damage any way you choose" duel deck card for burn I haven't seen played. There's like 1 white Conspiracy and 1 black Conspiracy that are interesting. The black one is "edict or take 4 damage" iirc with "edict" as the tiebreaker. It's... not great.

You can play Desert if you use paper commons. Gorilla Shaman is a massive gently caress YOU to affinity in the sideboard ("R, destroy all your lands" 'cause Pauper affinity actually plays Affinity cards and full playsets of the artifact lands). Kird Ape. Goblin Grenade.

Tyrant's Choice (the black Conspiracy you reference) is 1B for 4 damage nontargeting, so it is at least a good rate for burn decks that want to play black.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To my understanding most of WotC's patents have expired, so ripping off the mana system is now fair game. I don't know where the line is exactly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So that game right there is why I hate jitte.

Edit: Also god drat van meter and his buddy are awful.

Edit 2: did I just hear correctly that some idiot pro player buys sheets of cards to have them miscut of purpose? Wtf

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 28, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So that game right there is why I hate jitte.

Edit 2: did I just hear correctly that some idiot pro player buys sheets of cards to have them miscut of purpose? Wtf

Lots of people do that, it's really dumb.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Lol.

:can: paging Judas

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Someone on these forums either does this, or collects misprints knowing this. Probably common in the miscut community.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Just heard for the 14th time in the 2 hours I've watched them: "It looks like he won't be able to do *thing*." The guy does this thing immediately afterwards.

And yeah, Eli Kassis has the stupidest looking cards I've ever seen.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

Just heard for the 14th time in the 2 hours I've watched them: "It looks like he won't be able to do *thing*." The guy does this thing immediately afterwards.

And yeah, Eli Kassis has the stupidest looking cards I've ever seen.

Yeah it's really bad. And then they go off on stupid tangents about nothing then tell you what happened like 45 seconds ago that you already saw played out.

Also looking up Eli he is the idiot who left 50k of cards in his car and got them all stolen.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what this is about? "Serious technical difficulties" at GP Houston. Anyone know what this is about?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Anyone know what this is about? "Serious technical difficulties" at GP Houston. Anyone know what this is about?

Well there was a twitch stream ~1 hour ago (and all of yesterday), when I went to watch it on a larger screen it was down. It's still down

e:Someone (Rich Hagon?) is doing live text play by play commentary in the twitch chat. It's pretty pointless.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 28, 2016

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

God I miss Patrick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Well there was a twitch stream ~1 hour ago (and all of yesterday), when I went to watch it on a larger screen it was down. It's still down

e:Someone (Rich Hagon?) is doing live text play by play commentary in the twitch chat. It's pretty pointless.

It's back.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

LightReaper posted:

God I miss Patrick

gently caress at this point I miss Matthias

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
2 creatures on the battlefield, both have +1/+1 counters, player plays Avatar of the Resolute.

Marshall: "Why does Avatar of the Resolute have 2 counters?"

Chat: "Because that's what it does, Marshall"

Marshall: "oh thanks chat"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've been out of the Standard loop for a while. Why the Hardened Scales decks all of a sudden?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lossett just never loses with Miracles...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Lossett just never loses with Miracles...

Tom Ross on infect is always more impressive to me because of just how little anyone else is capable of doing with it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I've been out of the Standard loop for a while. Why the Hardened Scales decks all of a sudden?
There are just a bunch of decent 1/1 counter guys in standard. The most recent one is Nissa.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

UberJew posted:

Tom Ross on infect is always more impressive to me because of just how little anyone else is capable of doing with it.

Yeah but at least recently Lossett has been winning more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but at least recently Lossett has been winning more.

Did you find a spare Eye?

• Locked thread