Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
When you only have a pike, everything looks like a protestant Saxon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

pike is the measure of all things

I will henceforth always refer to sewing needles as picopikes. :colbert:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWINsaEpnw
Cav song. Point of order: 'twas Blucher's Prussians what routed Bonaparte at Waterloo. Otherwise p accurate.

edit: "I's the fustest with the mostest when I fought for Bedford Forrest" that's why the CSA has sympathizers today. Sort of like how the Nazis had the best tanks, the CSA had good cavalry.

Edit: I have another complaint, it's "do AND die" not "or" with the Light Brigade.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 28, 2016

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

We need the pikiest pike as a standard to measure all other pikes by.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Hazzard posted:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ask Us About Military History: Stroke the butt fore to aft

An actual post, though:

I'm curious about that; apart from stabbing horses, when would infantry tend to use bayonets against other infantry over shooting at them (mostly I'm curious about the musket days)?

It takes a significant amount of time to reload a musket. If your side charges with fixed bayonets, its likely the enemy runs for it and gives up the ground. The problem is convincing your dudes to do it themselves, since no one wants to be in hand to hand combat where you can get stabbed from any side. There are stories of dudes blasting away at one another, inside of buildings, with black powder single shot muskets instead of just charging.

If you shoot the other man, he is dead/out of action, and his friends might run away. If you stab him, he still may stab you back before he dies, or his friends might stab you, even if your side wins. Also the officers/some infantry have swords and are much better at hand to hand combat then you probably are. The all of nothing approach of sticking to guns is a pretty powerful psychological force.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Tias posted:

Why is he carring around a bunch of sticks?
Juggler?

"Landsknecht! Or, Jester?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tias posted:

Why is he carring around a bunch of sticks?

They're the training daggers used for the lessons. They also have swords, and when I upload the videos of the session you'll see them teaching a pair of very young children how to hit a post with a full size sword.

Delivery McGee posted:

Video or it didn't happen. I've been near six-pounders and I ain't deaf. (the ACW-reenacment arty set off all the car alarms tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXIYWnqSyLY

He mentioned earlier that this lanyard is the reason why he has no hearing in one ear (and that's why his wife sleeps on that side). I was sitting in the front row for the best view, so this isn't zoomed in.

I also have video of a reproduction 1830 Tower dragoon pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTJHGjmcJXY

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

When you only have a pike, everything looks like a protestant Saxon.

I'm not one to look a gift pike in the mouth! :haw:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hazzard posted:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Shilling for another thread: For those of you looking for a dose of American History, History nerd QuidProQuid is having goons vote on every presidential election in history. I've learned a poo poo-ton. (It also makes you feel a bit better about how politics rolls in the states now, since everything has happened before.) We're on the election of 1848 now; one of the parties is so desperate to avoid controversy (that would likely rip the national party to shreads) they've nominated a very popular guy so far outside the political system he's never even loving voted before. And his official platform is "no platform."

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks for that, very interesting! Bookmarked.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

P-Mack posted:

"Why are you Spartan women the only ones who can rule men?"

"Because we are also the only ones who give birth to men."

Plutarch (I think?) records my favorite lady Spartan one-liner, delivered while handing her departing husband or son his shield:

"With it, or on it."

Meaning, return alive and victorious with your shield, or dead and carried by your comrades on your shield, but don't you loving dare come home without it after throwing it away and fleeing.

The Athenian poet Archilochus was a little more...pragmatic:

"Some Thracian exults in my shield—a faultless weapon—which I left beside a bush against my will. But I saved myself; what do I care about that shield? To hell with it! I’ll get another one that’s just as good."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anyone else going to the SMH conference in Ottawa this year?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Apparently Austro-Hungarians were taught the wrong way to rifle butt

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Anyone else going to the SMH conference in Ottawa this year?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Verdun continues slowing to a German halt; General Petain rearranges French logistics for greater efficiency; a poilu heading up the line tells us about one of the great French running jokes of the war. In Africa E.S. Thompson engages in a little casual hypocrisy about some compatriots; Edward Mousley is trying to keep his pecker up as the river begins to rise again; Neil Fraser-Tytler visits some French trenches and walks about on some dead bodies; and the Sunny Subaltern is due to go up the line for the first time very soon.

:golfclap:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ensign Expendable posted:

What was it? 12 different language versions of the training manual?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

:eyepop:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Koba posted:

what is asbestos but nanopikes stabbing our lungs up

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Delivery McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIWINsaEpnw
Cav song. Point of order: 'twas Blucher's Prussians what routed Bonaparte at Waterloo. Otherwise p accurate.

edit: "I's the fustest with the mostest when I fought for Bedford Forrest" that's why the CSA has sympathizers today. Sort of like how the Nazis had the best tanks, the CSA had good cavalry.

Edit: I have another complaint, it's "do AND die" not "or" with the Light Brigade.

The Union cavalry shaped up pretty nicely and were a big reason for Lee's surrender.

Also lol Brandy Station.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
For an explanation, Brandy Station was a battle where Jeb Stuart had his famed cavalry prance and flounce around in front of Lee to stroke his ego and show how awesome he was, in a supposedly safe rear area, and they were surprised by a huge force of very businesslike Union cavalry appearing out of nowhere and cutting them to pieces.

The part of the army that was supposedly the elite, which was responsible for scouting and recon, getting surprised during a demonstration of how great they were.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was rewatching my videos of the landsknechts explaining some of the philosophy of defending against a dagger (such as "The dagger won't kill you, the guy holding it will" and "You've never heard of anyone being cut to death. Always stabbed"), and his codpiece is incredibly distracting.

I also found my 2015 photos of the same dagger fighting lessons with a different crowd. The general emphasis is on (obviously) gaining control of the weapon and keeping the blade away from your body, to the point of even grabbing onto the blade to redirect it instead of fighting over the grip. It's even demonstrated in the 2015 photos how one can grab the dagger out of the wielder's hand by the blade and reach around to stab them in the back while drunkenly wrestling.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 29, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's impressive that they are being shown one of the roughest ways to handle a rifle that was renowned for beaing easy to break and something of a maintenance queen. :cryingaustria:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Once you beat someone to death with your rifle you just take their rifle. Sheesh.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Lone Badger posted:

Once you beat someone to death with your rifle you just take their rifle. Sheesh.
how do you reload then, you've still got your bullets

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Ask Us About Military History: his codpiece is incredibly distracting

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So here's a question - circa the Napoleonic wars, being good with a bayonet / sword / melee in general is still a valuable skill for your average soldier / NCO / elite unit. At what point is that skill superceded by being a fast / good shot (moreso than it was already in 1800) and at what point did it become completely irrelevant?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I was rewatching my videos of the landsknechts explaining some of the philosophy of defending against a dagger (such as "The dagger won't kill you, the guy holding it will" and "You've never heard of anyone being cut to death. Always stabbed"), and his codpiece is incredibly distracting.

It always terrifies the clergy!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the clergy of the time would almost certainly have been fine with that

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, I just combined all three videos I shot into one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06mOURz_x-w

Make sure to watch the children in the background.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xander77 posted:

So here's a question - circa the Napoleonic wars, being good with a bayonet / sword / melee in general is still a valuable skill for your average soldier / NCO / elite unit. At what point is that skill superceded by being a fast / good shot (moreso than it was already in 1800) and at what point did it become completely irrelevant?

Well it's never completely irrelevant, since there's always going to be a chance that you'll end up in close quarters where a sword/bayonet comes in real handy if you've got one. It was much more irrelevant around WW1, since between rifles, machine guns, artillery, grenades, and the horrible immobile stalemate of trench warfare there was a drat lot keeping enemy combatants from ever becoming close to each other, but you still get situations like the story of the German Sapper where people are stabbing each other in the trenches.

Theoretically, melee was supposed to become totally irrelevant in the nuclear age when all wars could be fought with guided missiles and everybody will be burned to ashes before they even see the whites of of somebody's eyes, but as it turns out, there's diminishing returns from just trying to bomb everything into oblivion and you can't just blow everything up when there's lots of delicate civilians and buildings that you don't want to utterly annihilate.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well it's never completely irrelevant, since there's always going to be a chance that you'll end up in close quarters where a sword/bayonet comes in real handy if you've got one. It was much more irrelevant around WW1, since between rifles, machine guns, artillery, grenades, and the horrible immobile stalemate of trench warfare there was a drat lot keeping enemy combatants from ever becoming close to each other, but you still get situations like the story of the German Sapper where people are stabbing each other in the trenches.

Theoretically, melee was supposed to become totally irrelevant in the nuclear age when all wars could be fought with guided missiles and everybody will be burned to ashes before they even see the whites of of somebody's eyes, but as it turns out, there's diminishing returns from just trying to bomb everything into oblivion and you can't just blow everything up when there's lots of delicate civilians and buildings that you don't want to utterly annihilate.

When hand-to-hand combat has come up in the WW1 and WW2 memoirs I've read, soldiers almost universally preferred using a shovel or entrenching tool as a weapon instead of their bayoneted rifle. And since pretty much every soldier is issued a spade of some kind anyways for digging foxholes and trenches, they all have it on hand for use.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

gohuskies posted:

When hand-to-hand combat has come up in the WW1 and WW2 memoirs I've read, soldiers almost universally preferred using a shovel or entrenching tool as a weapon instead of their bayoneted rifle. And since pretty much every soldier is issued a spade of some kind anyways for digging foxholes and trenches, they all have it on hand for use.

Reminds me of some british lieutenants anecdote of fighting with a sword in the trenches. He's face to face with a german and realizes, oh poo poo I don't know how to fight with a sword and kicks the german in the balls. He then talks about trench warfare weapons.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chillyrabbit posted:

Reminds me of some british lieutenants anecdote of fighting with a sword in the trenches. He's face to face with a german and realizes, oh poo poo I don't know how to fight with a sword and kicks the german in the balls. He then talks about trench warfare weapons.

That's how you fight with a sword, kick the other guy in the sack and then stab him.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

how do you reload then, you've still got your bullets

Why do you need bullets if you have a perfectly good rifle to club someone with?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well it's never completely irrelevant, since there's always going to be a chance that you'll end up in close quarters where a sword/bayonet comes in real handy if you've got one.
There are different degrees of completely irrelevant. When you're unlikely to get more than a day at base camp dedicated to thrusting your long gentleman's weapon around, and anyone trying to design a brand new sword is met with "what the gently caress is wrong with you, you absolute tosser", we can safely say that particular era had passed. The question is - what exactly marked its passing?

The ACW was still largely fought with single action weapons (if far faster to fire than Napoleonic muskets) - and yet bayonet charges were considered to be just about plausible. I'm thinking... either level of training given specifically to sword combat, or the frequency of close combat skirmishes during a regular action?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

On a subject related to ACW weapons: At what point in the development of firearms did line battles stop happening?

My understanding of why people fought in lines to begin with was that muskets were horribly inaccurate, and in order to put them to good use, you had to group up and fire them in formation in order to hit things. But by the time of the ACW at least, my understanding is that most soldiers were now armed with rifles which actually could be aimed and reliably hit things; but they still used line formations anyway, for the most part? At least in that war.

I guess my question is:

1) Why did armies continue to use line formations even after accurate weapons became prevalent, and

2) Is there a particular point/reason where/why they stopped?

It happened some time between ACW and WWI at least, but my knowledge of the wars between that period is fuzzy at best. My best guess would be that advancements in artillery made standing together in a tight cluster of unprotected manflesh an increasingly unpleasant idea? And obviously if I'm wrong about any of my base knowledge, please correct me. Maybe there's more logic behind the line formation beyond "this is the only way we can figure out how to hit things."

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Xander77 posted:

I'd think it was superseded by marksmanship around the time metallic cartridges became a thing (so it takes 2 seconds instead of 15 to reload) and completely irrelevant (outside of extreme cases as has been mentioned; modern militaries still teach hand-to-hand combat, just in case) around the time every man was issued a bolt-action rifle and could fire as fast as he could shove 5-round clips into it.

FAUXTON posted:

That's how you fight with a sword, kick the other guy in the sack and then stab him.
Pretty much.

Swords:

Yeah, I own a katana. But my grandfather either killed a Japanese officer or won it in a poker game from the Marine who killed the officer, so it's legit handmade and poo poo. Also a delightful little artillery saber (the cav version is 3" longer) left over from when Japan tried to be like the West (Type 32, 1899).

Never did figure out the maker's signature on the katana:

(Filled in the lines in Photoshop because I didn't have a camera/lighting setup with enough contrast last time I had it apart, here's the original: )

Ainsley McTree posted:

On a subject related to ACW weapons: At what point in the development of firearms did line battles stop happening?
When smokeless powder was invented, so IIRC 1880s? Sure, rifles were more accurate than muskets, but with black powder, after the first volley you can't see poo poo unless you have favorable winds, and thus can't aim.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If it's a WWII era officer's katana, it's quite likely not *that* legit, honestly.

• Locked thread