Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

bull3964 posted:

Can you show me where you download the front IR sensors?

Same place I downloaded that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So I'm overdue for an upgrade and I currently have a Droid Maxx. I was looking at what's out there that is basically the same size and the field is almost non-existent. I'm thinking of just going with the Turbo which was released last year because it's so similar in size/weight to the Maxx I have now. It still looks pretty solid compared to what's out now unless I'm missing something. Are there any other alternatives I should consider?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

On Terra Firma posted:

So I'm overdue for an upgrade and I currently have a Droid Maxx. I was looking at what's out there that is basically the same size and the field is almost non-existent. I'm thinking of just going with the Turbo which was released last year because it's so similar in size/weight to the Maxx I have now. It still looks pretty solid compared to what's out now unless I'm missing something. Are there any other alternatives I should consider?

The Galaxy S7 is a bit taller, but it's also narrower, thinner and lighter. No removable battery, though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Do you constantly have 20 notifications on your shade or something?

lol come on, don't defend this garbage (though LG is worse than Samsung). This is what an LG G2 looked like when you turned it on:

Definitely only horrible for nerds with 20 notifications, not literally unable to display more than 2 notifications!

Also I thought Samsung was supposed to have made a bunch of progress in their aesthetic design, but here's an S5 vs. an S6 (randomly googled images, so no idea if this is old software versions [just kidding, of course they're on old software]):

sourdough fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 28, 2016

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

sethsez posted:

The Galaxy S7 is a bit taller, but it's also narrower, thinner and lighter. No removable battery, though.

I cannot stand touchwiz and the design of the galaxy series. That button is an abomination.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

lol come on, don't defend this garbage (though LG is worse than Samsung). This is what an LG G2 looked like when you turned it on:

Definitely only horrible for nerds with 20 notifications, not literally unable to display more than 2 notifications!

Also I thought Samsung was supposed to have made a bunch of progress in their aesthetic design, but here's an S5 vs. an S6 (randomly googled images, so no idea if this is old software versions [just kidding, of course they're on old software]):

You're not being quite accurate. Here's what my Note 5 looks like right now:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I think some one said Best Buy had demo Galaxy S7 in. Is that true?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not being quite accurate. Here's what my Note 5 looks like right now:

I love the toggles that you'd never ever have to click. Oh and the autobrightness slider I've never touched in six years of smartphone use. I'm sure I can just remove both of those?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
This is what my G4 looks like after about 30 seconds of configuring:

That said, at one point I managed to get it looking like this after I first had it, so the ability to ruin things does exist.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I love the toggles that you'd never ever have to click. Oh and the autobrightness slider I've never touched in six years of smartphone use. I'm sure I can just remove both of those?

Yes, I agree? I've never said otherwise, in fact I've repeatedly said in this thread that the notification tray and memory management are the only parts of Touchwiz I really don't like (memory management has gotten a lot better in the last update).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, I agree? I've never said otherwise, in fact I've repeatedly said in this thread that the notification tray and memory management are the only parts of Touchwiz I really don't like (memory management has gotten a lot better in the last update).

The thing I don't get is the why? Why train users to do something they shouldn't? Why clutter the most important UI element to do it? Just give it a lovely color scheme, allow it to be themed, and call it a day.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RVProfootballer posted:

The main issue I had with my G3 was the system DPI is set completely inappropriately - this meant that even the notifications that can display through all the clutter get cut off.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

The thing I don't get is the why? Why train users to do something they shouldn't? Why clutter the most important UI element to do it? Just give it a lovely color scheme, allow it to be themed, and call it a day.

Well the way I see it they aren't users- they are consumers. That distinction is exactly why you don't see power options easily accessible in the "public-promoted" Galaxy phone line. Because literally nobody cares about these things you care about as judging by the millions of sales Samsung continues to do with your perceived issues with the phone still in the ecosystem, it's not a huge deal. They've started theming which, while the themes are mostly lovely, addresses like 95% of the UI issues people have with the phone. The other 5% are the turbonerds that think the notification shade is sub-optimal, which it is - but it doesn't bother me to call it a "con" on the phone.

I guess my point is - the problems of the Galaxy S4 i/r/t touchwiz have been mostly rectified at this point by the S7 line.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Is there an app/hack to download a file from my local network every hour or two?

I've got the Syncthing app set up and syncing with my local network when I have WiFi turned on and it's all good, but it seems a little convoluted for what I want to achieve.

I only want to refresh a single, small file while I'm on local net. It's a password container, so I don't fancy using Dropbox or Google Drive: just copy over NFS or Samba in a kind of cron job fashion.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think some one said Best Buy had demo Galaxy S7 in. Is that true?

One near me does, so I went to play with it a bit.

One thing Samsung does right is the screens. I mean, it's so beautiful. It shits all over everything else; every Nexus, every Moto, every LG, every Sony. Whatever. Just, all over.

Marshmallow Touchwiz is interesting; they turned everything white and dark grey instead of blue and yellow, which I guess is easier on the eyes but an odd choice considering the amoled screens. I guess there's the theme store, though. It seemed very snappy and just as responsive as any Nexus I've used. The back is a lot less ugly in person. I hated it in the leaked images, but it's very S3-like, in a way, in real life. Camera is great and focuses extremely quickly to things moving in front of the lens.

I checked the Android version; it was on 6.0.1 with the Feb security update. I wonder if that means that Samsarng is actually intending to keep up with the monthly patches. Looking at the app drawer, yeah there was some Samsung stuff in there but the bloat seems actually quite dialed back from the S4/5 days.

Can't comment on battery life; phones were plugged in and sitting at 100%.

Gold is a lot more subdued and tasteful than I thought it would be, and seems to hide fingerprints very well. Black is very 'luxurious', though, for lack of a better word.

I'm sorely tempted by the GearVR deal for preordering, too; Samsung seems to want to make VR the Next Big Thing and honestly, maybe it is.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

vyst posted:

but it doesn't bother me to call it a "con" on the phone.

I understand that, and it doesn't bother me THAT much either, but I do software UI/UX and QA for a living. It's the little things that show a lack of polish and subtlety degrade usability. It shows a lack of understanding or caring about a user's experience, to instead favor adding some flashy features. You're right in saying that most people don't notice that sort of thing when using it, but the whole point of good design is that it makes someone's interactions with a device subtlety better.

There's tradeoffs to every phone, and if TouchWiz isn't a big enough tradeoff for you, great, buy one. The S7 Edge looks awesome from a hardware perspective. I might even buy one myself. But it's disingenuous to dismiss everyone complaining about the notification shade or the settings being crapped up or whatever as "people with 20 notifications open all the time" or turbonerds. It's not like I'm sitting here twitching in rage every time I pull down the notification shade, but the fact that Samsung makes that very important part of Android worse AND that doing so makes their phones less secure is annoying to people who are paid to care about that sort of thing.

Granted, people in this thread can go overboard in talking about how crappy it is, but people go overboard defending Samsung too. It's sort of par for the course for a thread where we've voluntarily signed up to talk about our smartphone's OS.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Ordered an S7 from Vodafone UK, got a deal I couldn't pass up. I've never had a Samsung phone before and I'm a bit nervous about UX jank coming from my Xperia Z3 Compact with the Concept ROM.

Anyway, was wondering if there are any recommendations for a wireless charging pad for the S7, preferably one with the faster charging. Also, will my regular Anker micro-USB cables support fast charging?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Grumpwagon posted:

I understand that, and it doesn't bother me THAT much either, but I do software UI/UX and QA for a living. It's the little things that show a lack of polish and subtlety degrade usability. It shows a lack of understanding or caring about a user's experience, to instead favor adding some flashy features. You're right in saying that most people don't notice that sort of thing when using it, but the whole point of good design is that it makes someone's interactions with a device subtlety better.

There's tradeoffs to every phone, and if TouchWiz isn't a big enough tradeoff for you, great, buy one. The S7 Edge looks awesome from a hardware perspective. I might even buy one myself. But it's disingenuous to dismiss everyone complaining about the notification shade or the settings being crapped up or whatever as "people with 20 notifications open all the time" or turbonerds. It's not like I'm sitting here twitching in rage every time I pull down the notification shade, but the fact that Samsung makes that very important part of Android worse AND that doing so makes their phones less secure is annoying to people who are paid to care about that sort of thing.

Granted, people in this thread can go overboard in talking about how crappy it is, but people go overboard defending Samsung too. It's sort of par for the course for a thread where we've voluntarily signed up to talk about our smartphone's OS.

I think an issue here is that many of the people attacking TouchWiz are basing their experience, if any, on TouchWiz from Samsung's Android 4.x and earlier phones. We're talking about the Galaxy S7 series, and that means Marshmallow TouchWiz, and that means

Daily Forecast posted:

they turned everything white and dark grey instead of blue and yellow, which I guess is easier on the eyes

CLAM DOWN posted:

memory management has gotten a lot better in the last update

Daily Forecast posted:

It seemed very snappy and just as responsive as any Nexus I've used.

Daily Forecast posted:

Looking at the app drawer, yeah there was some Samsung stuff in there but the bloat seems actually quite dialed back from the S4/5 days.

So what is there, really, to complain about in TouchWiz? Making quick controls available after a single swipe down instead of two?

LastInLine posted:

First of all, let's admit that these users are already trained. Nexus phones have never done huge sales numbers and Moto has also failed to achieve massive success. Did the Moto X Pure(Style) even get into US carrier stores? For most Android users their previous phone was a Samsung or LG. That means they are already trained that this is where the quick settings are located. If you hide them behind a second swipe (or two-fingered swipe), is that discoverable? It may be visually cleaner, but -- for the average user -- is it better enough to be worth re-training them?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rastor posted:

So what is there, really, to complain about in TouchWiz? Making quick controls available after a single swipe down instead of two?

First of all, let's admit that these users are already trained. Nexus phones have never done huge sales numbers and Moto has also failed to achieve massive success. Did the Moto X Pure(Style) even get into US carrier stores? For most Android users their previous phone was a Samsung or LG. That means they are already trained that this is where the quick settings are located. If you hide them behind a second swipe (or two-fingered swipe), is that discoverable? It may be visually cleaner, but -- for the average user -- is it better enough to be worth re-training them?

People learned to push buttons instead of rotating a dial. If the improvement is worth it, people will learn the new way. Now follows the tricky question: is the double swipe an improvement?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Isn't it soon about time for the Android N developer builds?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not for another three months.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Rastor posted:

I think an issue here is that many of the people attacking TouchWiz are basing their experience, if any, on TouchWiz from Samsung's Android 4.x and earlier phones. We're talking about the Galaxy S7 series, and that means Marshmallow TouchWiz, and that means
I want to acknowledge that at least for me this is mostly true. The differences between, say, that picture of the G2's out of box notification screen is way different than say, this:

That's a big improvement, but as for "So what is there, really, to complain about in TouchWiz?" I think I mentioned in my first post at least 2 reasons.

1) Having Quick Toggles visible on the second most important screen of Android suggests to a user that they should be used. This is what leads people to toggle WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth. One of the most important principles of design is that you should subtly suggest to a user how a device should be used. Toggling stuff like that on and off is very much a thing normal Android users have been trained to do by having the settings so readily available (I'm basing this on people coming in to the thread who aren't regulars, and the user testing I've done at work). The notification screen space is among the most valuable resources on the phone now since you can perform actions on notifications. Having 1/4 of that taken up rather than 1/2 is a huge step forward, but less is still better.

My only point about all this is, after a long time of being in the woods on this, I believe Android finally understands good design. I think every change that Samsung makes to go away from good design (I'm sure there are changes they make that are just as well designed or better, I just can't think of any at the moment) are bad on their face, and they make it harder to update.

Which brings us to:

2) With monthly security updates being a thing now, updates should matter, even to normal users. I'm not suggesting normal users should know about and demand their monthly security updates, I'm suggesting vendors should care about user data and experience enough to make that a priority. Samsung clearly doesn't. You could argue that Google doesn't either, since they hoover in as much user data as possible, but I'd suggest that is wrong. They jealously secure their user data, since that's their real purpose behind the Android project.

I know that these two things are likely never coming up when normal people use Android. I completely acknowledge that noticing and valuing these things makes people in this thread spergy or turbo nerds or whatever. I reject on it's face the suggestion that these things don't matter to normal users, even if they don't consciously think about them ever. Security and good design are important on a device people use constantly and where they store their life, and should be called out when deficient.

Does this mean everyone who buys a Samsung device is a moron like some people in the thread say? No, life is full of tradeoffs. After writing two huge effort posts about this, I should disclose that my daily driver is an LG G2, and I like it. I bought it knowing the downsides (I won't go back into that whole decision, read back my history in this thread if you really care about it for some reason). However, does this mean that everyone who brings up problems with TouchWiz is a moron? No, of course not, for the reasons discussed above and others.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I have no idea what's best for everyone when it comes to design but I love the quick toggles in the TW notification shade on my Note 5. Especially since if you press and hold something like bluetooth it'll take you to the bluetooth menu which is pretty great in a pinch. Between putting the phone on vibrate/mute, turning on power saving mode, turning on the flashlight.. you don't need to be a power user to appreciate the toggles.

It actually really annoys me that on my Pixel C I have to tap twice to get to that menu. Embarrassingly, I didn't know about the two finger thing until this discussion, but it doesn't really make itself apparent anyways. On a big screen like that I'd rather have toggles anyways.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Anyone who complains about touchwiz these days still thinks it's 2012 and is severely out of touch. Shits fine now.

Sorry losers, Samsung won :smuggo:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anyone who complains about touchwiz these days still thinks it's 2012 and is severely out of touch. Shits fine now.

Sorry losers, Samsung won :smuggo:

It's not fine, it's just fixable. Parts of it are still unbearably ugly until you make it better.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

DeaconBlues posted:

Is there an app/hack to download a file from my local network every hour or two?

I've got the Syncthing app set up and syncing with my local network when I have WiFi turned on and it's all good, but it seems a little convoluted for what I want to achieve.

I only want to refresh a single, small file while I'm on local net. It's a password container, so I don't fancy using Dropbox or Google Drive: just copy over NFS or Samba in a kind of cron job fashion.

Bit torrent Sync owns

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not until I/O.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Android Central briefly got their hands on a N build so they're floating around somewhere.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Grumpwagon posted:

Having Quick Toggles visible on the second most important screen of Android suggests to a user that they should be used.

Well, why not? Beauty of Android is that it doesn't just werk and you can do whatever the gently caress you want to it.

Hi, I'm the guy who has to turn on his GPS every time he wants to use it because he habitually keeps it off.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Hi, I'm the guy who has to turn on his GPS every time he wants to use it because he habitually keeps it off.

This illustrates my point.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Well, part of the reason I do it is tinfoil hat shittery so I'd probably do it ANYWAY, regardless of how easy or hard it was to do.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Well, part of the reason I do it is tinfoil hat shittery so I'd probably do it ANYWAY, regardless of how easy or hard it was to do.

I mean, that's cool, I just think maybe you should have to download an app or turn a setting on to do that, and the default should be to insulate the user from having to make those choices.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011

withoutclass posted:

Bit torrent Sync owns

Yep. I tried BTsync and it worked well on my home server running Ubuntu but on this laptop running Fedora it maxxes out a CPU core for some unfathomable reason. Oh well, cheers for the suggestion anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Grumpwagon makes two of the most accurate and well-reasoned posts ever made in the Android thread and people who disagree with him are defending TW because of confirmation bias or just didn't understand his point.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 28, 2016

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
FWIW: I think I found a cheap and cheerful solution to syncing a password file with my local samba share: SyncMe Wireless.

I've pointed it to a r/w directory on the server and set it to check every 2 hours. It's done the original sync and I then added a few files. Will check if it has autosynced in a couple of hours.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thermopyle posted:

Grumpwagon makes two of the most accurate and well-reasoned posts ever made in the Android thread and people who disagree with him are defending TW because of confirmation bias or just didn't understand his point.

No, I don't understand his point, because stripping out basic functionality so that you then 'need an app' is extremely stupid and backwards and exactly what nobody should ever want.

Also I use a Moto G, so

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Daily Forecast posted:

No, I don't understand his point, because stripping out basic functionality so that you then 'need an app' is extremely stupid and backwards and exactly what nobody should ever want.

Also I use a Moto G, so

By this logic, every single use case (no matter how stupid or fringe) should not require an app to accomplish.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lowen SoDium posted:

By this logic, every single use case (no matter how stupid or fringe) should not require an app to accomplish.

Quick toggles as they exist now are certainly not 'fringe use cases' and if you think so well then here I found you a better thread.

This is exactly like all the people who think that the death of removable batteries and SD card slots were a good thing, as if less choice in how you use the $800 phone you bought could ever, ever be an improvement.

edit: It's also why I will never consider a phone without at LEAST an SD card slot, and while I'm a bit sore that only LG does removable batteries anymore, at least there's a lot of phones out there (Samsung's, for one) where the battery is easily serviceable. I had a Nexus 6P for a week that I bought off Swappa but I sold it on Craigslist almost immediately because they buried the battery in there in such a way that it's nearly impossible to replace either that or the screen without breaking the fucker. The screen I could live with - I've never broken a screen, just be careful with your phone - but the battery is the ONE THING in ANY phone that will degrade, 100%, guaranteed, over time, so making it so hard to service with the expectation of "oh lol just buy another phone in two years" is literally built-in obsolescence and pretty much everything wrong with the mobile industry. It made me extremely uncomfortable to know that if anything ever happened to my 6P, awesome a phone as it was, I was pretty much turbo-hosed out of my $500 purchase.

Oh look, the thread cycled back around the removable batteries again, sorry guys

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 28, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

He owns a Pebble and plays Ingress, how can we trust anything he says?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Whizbang posted:

He owns a Pebble and plays Ingress, how can we trust anything he says?

That's my phone :(