Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm ready for Laurel and Oliver to come back together now. I blew some of my friends' minds when I told them that Green Arrow/Black Canary used to be a thing, like they shared billing on the book and everything. I guess knowing that made me kinda biased against Olicity from the start. Same with Sara as the Canary. Not that those ideas are objectively bad or that either actress did a poor job, but I looked at them as filler. Like I know (even though I don't at all) where we're going, so the stuff in the middle is just a way to spin some wheels. At this point though, Felicity is 110% insufferable. She made everything about her in the same way that the show writers have made everything about her and it's only to her detriment. I can't imagine that anyone could watch this show and cheer for her or sympathize with her in that moment. Oliver just got done coming to terms with not knowing his son for the next like...I dunno, 10 years or something. Not being able to care for and love his child. It killed him inside and instead of trying to comfort him at all through the entire episode, all Felicity can do is take potshots at him and then literally walk out of a wheelchair to get away from him. I felt bad for Ollie. Every other character (who matters, sorry Alex) sympathized with him. Look at Diggle's reaction "Oh, wow, I didn't know. Here's some advice, man, good luck." Look at Laurel's "Well, I took it, but it kinda hurts. No time for that though, we gotta save a kid." Samantha's bitchy rear end even managed "Hey, he's trying. I didn't give him any slack, but you should." Nope, not Felicity Smoak.

And fuckin hell, I liked the lady who played Vixen, but her character got on my nerves. Stop unloading your backstory on me, please. You're laying it on just too thick. Also you told Oliver to abandon his kid and I think that's a really weird thing to tell someone. Even if you believe it to be true.

Felicity for grave, Oliver was talking to his guilt made visible in the limo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Felicity was the worst part about this episode, followed closely by Vixen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ShakeZula posted:

Why would they be sharing a car at all if they're in the midst of an emotionally-taxing breakup?

They're embracing the soap opera. That's actually Oliver's evil twin brother. And Felicity's pregnant. With Nyssa's clone.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
All you motherfuckers know that Laurel will immediately become as bad as Felicity the actual second they put her with Oliver. Felicity's badness has nothing to do with Felicity the character; it's because these writers have no idea how to write romantic drama, but feel like they need to have it anyway for some reason.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

enraged_camel posted:

Felicity was the worst part about this episode, followed closely by Vixen.

I dunno, Vixen actually did stuff, never sulked, and the only meh thing was half her dialogue being expository, which was kinda needed for those who never watched that CWSeed thing or knew who she was.

Plus, that "don't tell Barry" bit was great.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spergatory posted:

All you motherfuckers know that Laurel will immediately become as bad as Felicity the actual second they put her with Oliver. Felicity's badness has nothing to do with Felicity the character; it's because these writers have no idea how to write romantic drama, but feel like they need to have it anyway for some reason.

The issue isn't that they have no idea how to write romantic drama, but that they believe every romantic relationship should have drama and that it must be openly featured in every single episode.

That's why I think Oliver and Sarah worked so well as a couple: it was a mature, drama-free relationship. They kicked rear end and slept together and got along really well and that was it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

enraged_camel posted:

That's why I think Oliver and Sarah worked so well as a couple: it was a mature, drama-free relationship. They kicked rear end and slept together and got along really well and that was it.

That relationship had plenty of drama. It was just outsourced to Laurel!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to every romantic comedy ever made, a full quarter of which star Katherine Heigl, their relationship was doomed if it continued.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well he's fresh out of secrets now so it's not like he can keep a secret anymore.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I really want this show to take a Redshirts-esque twist.

"Sometimes I just say things - make crazy decisions - and I don't even know why! All it does is create more relationship drama!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spergatory posted:

Agreed. Heck, Felicity's issues aren't themselves bad, it's that the only way the writers (and by extension her) can think of to react to them is with extremes. There's no discussion, compromise, self-realization, it's all ultimatums and teary-eyed apologies.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
What's hilarious is that Oliver and crew would be 50 times likeable if they literally did what every other CW show does and just have the main characters sleep around a ton with random background characters without being invested into relationships. No stupid drama, no time wasted. It seems like a hella simple fix given that the writers cannot write a simple relationship plot without a character becoming just dead weight emotional baggage.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I miss Tommy.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I just miss Manu Bennett speaking with pure vitriol. At least he's on Shannara

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PFlats posted:

I really want this show to take a Redshirts-esque twist.

"Sometimes I just say things - make crazy decisions - and I don't even know why! All it does is create more relationship drama!"

Just put the poison in this microwave box and push that button. Your anti-venom will be ready at exactly 10 seconds before they die.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
The more I think about Oliver just absolutely chumping Malcolm last episode, the more I realize that he's pretty much outclassed every single enemy we've seen thus far. Which makes me really hope that we get like Lady Shiva or Cassandra Cain or someone else extremely talented at fighting so he'll actually have some trouble again. Doubt it'll happen, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sir Potato posted:

The more I think about Oliver just absolutely chumping Malcolm last episode, the more I realize that he's pretty much outclassed every single enemy we've seen thus far. Which makes me really hope that we get like Lady Shiva or Cassandra Cain or someone else extremely talented at fighting so he'll actually have some trouble again. Doubt it'll happen, though.

And then they can train Laurel so Black Canary can be a good fighter like she's supposed to be.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Tommy sucked.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sir Potato posted:

What's horrible is that he's an archer, yet in every single combat encounter he shoots a few arrows and then runs towards his enemies instead of trying to "kite" them like you would expect from someone who excels at bow and arrow.

They really should have made him more like a glass cannon: pwns people at range, gets pwned if anyone closes in. Right now his combat scenes are boring as gently caress since he basically has no weaknesses.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My favorite fight scene was when Oliver and Rhas Al Ghul swung wildly at each other in the dark, wearing black outfits.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Even Amell thinks we need to bring back Slade.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dead Snoopy posted:

Even Amell thinks we need to bring back Slade.

Fortunately, we have Shado's twin to satiate him.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I'd be okay with throwing money at Manu Benett for cameos and/or flashbacks :)

hell, I really want to see Slade and Malcolm interact . :D

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

enraged_camel posted:

What's horrible is that he's an archer, yet in every single combat encounter he shoots a few arrows and then runs towards his enemies instead of trying to "kite" them like you would expect from someone who excels at bow and arrow.

They really should have made him more like a glass cannon: pwns people at range, gets pwned if anyone closes in. Right now his combat scenes are boring as gently caress since he basically has no weaknesses.

His only weakness is running a mayoral campaign.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WastedJoker posted:

His only weakness is running a mayoral campaign.

He's good at pulling out of mayoral races, not so much for anything else.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sir Potato posted:

I feel like we're not watching the same show. I always feel like Oliver doesn't win as much as he should given his background. He got obliterated by Ra's Al Ghul. Fuckin Anarky beat him up. Double Down beat him up. Vandal Savage beat him up. Hell, it was 2 episodes ago that Captain Lance shot the demolition dude so Oliver could finish defusing the bombs, right? Him trouncing Malcolm was catharsis for me. The actual realization of "Yeah, a guy who's been ninja training for 8 years and is younger and healthier should probably win."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ded posted:

Just put the poison in this microwave box and push that button. Your anti-venom will be ready at exactly 10 seconds before they die.

That book was way better than it had any right to be. It out-trekked Trek.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I feel like we're not watching the same show. I always feel like Oliver doesn't win as much as he should given his background. He got obliterated by Ra's Al Ghul. Fuckin Anarky beat him up. Double Down beat him up. Vandal Savage beat him up. Hell, it was 2 episodes ago that Captain Lance shot the demolition dude so Oliver could finish defusing the bombs, right? Him trouncing Malcolm was catharsis for me. The actual realization of "Yeah, a guy who's been ninja training for 8 years and is younger and healthier should probably win."

This is also known as the Batman Problem, where the needs of the story require Batman to be evenly matched against a random plot critical mook.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're filming a funeral scene this weekend, and it looks like it gives away who dies.

And the internet is freaking out about it.

Katie Cassidy has only been on set with brown hair, with Blackthorne in a wig, so it's a flashback. She's apparently not there in the present day funeral scenes, but Laurel and Sara's mother is. Nyssa too.

Obviously there could be more to it than that, but if they are actually tossing 3 years of making her character into Black Canary because of Tumblr shipping, I might just laugh forever.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 29, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They're filming a funeral scene this weekend, and it looks like it gives away who dies.

Katie Cassidy has only been on set with brown hair, with Blackthorne in a wig, so it's a flashback. She's apparently not there in the present day funeral scenes, but Laurel and Sara's mother is.

They killed River Song. Those bastards!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Katie Cassidy has only been on set with brown hair, with Blackthorne in a wig, so it's a flashback. She's apparently not there in the present day funeral scenes, but Laurel and Sara's mother is. Nyssa too.

Obviously there could be more to it than that, but if they are actually tossing 3 years of making her character into Black Canary because of Tumblr shipping, I might just laugh forever.

Good lord I loving hope this isn't true.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If the spoiler above is true I hope he fucks her the night before it happens so it can be proven, his dick is toxic

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've seen the photos so the general facts there are definitely true, they just might not be what they seem.

The episode only airs sometime in early April, so there should be more filming in the meantime that might give more clues.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
That casket is pretty small for the salmon ladder...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He was too good for this show.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If that spoiler is true, I think I may consider dropping the show. That's just so stupid that it hurts. I get that they don't know what to do with her character right now, but come the gently caress on.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

There's always Lazarus Pits and, if that doesn't work, use the two other methods that Ollie already used to come back to life.

This show just kind of sucks now. The action sequences are really lame. This last one you could clearly see the motorcycles going about 5mph and the mooks never actually firing their weapons despite the heroes standing in place 20-30 yards in front of them. All the stunts just seemed really half assed this episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

oh my god this would be amazing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I would be pretty much done with this show if that turns out to be true. gently caress all that time we spent turning her into a good character, her planet needs her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
You know, Felicity's walk-again chip was an early wedding present, so she really should be returning it to Mr. Terrific. Keeping it would just be so tacky.

• Locked thread