Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Darn. I was envisioning a non-ranged Dark build with the Dark Fume Sword and some Dark Greatswords for coolness points.

It's still viable enough it make work if you really want to go for the style points, with stuff like this follow your heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want there to be a farmable Item I can use in invasions to warp to different fog doors, so that if someone runs from me constantly I can be like the villain in Scooby Doo.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
There's a platform near sanctum walk that has loot (+7 longbow?!) on it but once you roll onto it there's no way off without dying or boning. At least it appears to have no way off... am I just dumb or is this just Stupid

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

whalestory posted:

There's a platform near sanctum walk that has loot (+7 longbow?!) on it but once you roll onto it there's no way off without dying or boning. At least it appears to have no way off... am I just dumb or is this just Stupid

The longbow is how you get off the platform. Try shooting the stone pillars, there's one in view from the platform you're currently on

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ToxicFrog posted:

Wow, gently caress the Iron Keep.

The knights are easy to kill, at least, but they aggro from ~infinity meters away. The level is full of instakill fire and lava traps, and the archers (who will also aggro from well outside sight range, but not, apparently, outside archery range) are armed with greatbows that will knock you into the lava. Half of the loot is on burning rocks that, even with Flash Sweat running, will kill you faster than the "pick up an item" animation can play.

iron keep is one of the few areas of the game where having a 100% physical resist shield and taking your time slowly like a turtle is not a bad idea - at least up to the second bonfire. the whole outdoor section right before smelter demon has a ton of ways to die and if you don't know exactly where each enemy starts, you can get boned pretty fast.

sinh is the first boss where i realized that summoning more people doesn't actually trade that well with the increase to boss hp unless the people are super competent at what they're doing. 90% of the time the people i summoned would die 30 seconds into the fight, and then i'd be facing sinh with jacked-up health by myself.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

with stuff like this follow your heart

The best Dark Souls builds usually go this way :allears:

I call it... "Dark Horse"

I also want to give Katanas a try but man do they suck. The Uchigatana is out because it's Not Cool™ but the Washing Pole, Berserker Blade and Bewitched Alonne Sword are all swords that I want to like, but I'm still not sure how to actually use them.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

multijoe posted:

The longbow is how you get off the platform. Try shooting the stone pillars, there's one in view from the platform you're currently on

That was like the first thing I looked for... I guess I didn't look hard enough :(

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Havel The Rock smirks, dropping his dragon tooth to the ground. "I bow to your skill... let me show you my 'true power'." Havel unsheathes his chaos blade and cartwheels forwards.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

whalestory posted:

That was like the first thing I looked for... I guess I didn't look hard enough :(
I am relatively sure there are two or three places you can drop down to (even with item incentive) and then not get back from in Shulva. It's never been an issue for me because there is very little chance you end up there without Bones, still kinda strange. Or I am blind, could be.

Otoh why would you go platforming around while carrying souls you don't want to lose?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Darn. I was envisioning a non-ranged Dark build with the Dark Fume Sword and some Dark Greatswords for coolness points.

So basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW2zjOHBa4c

Your Computer posted:

The best Dark Souls builds usually go this way :allears:

I call it... "Dark Horse"

horse,
but
hole ahead

quote:

I also want to give Katanas a try but man do they suck. The Uchigatana is out because it's Not Cool™ but the Washing Pole, Berserker Blade and Bewitched Alonne Sword are all swords that I want to like, but I'm still not sure how to actually use them.

PVE or PVP? PVE just spam r1s and use the wide-hitting r2s (for the katanas that have those) for groups and the thrusting r2s for narrow places. Also with enemies you can stun in one hit, hit them as they're about to attack to benefit from their sweet 130-150 counter bonus.

For PVP you want to fish for counter hits, especially since r1->r1 and r2->r2 are guaranteed combos. Wide-hitting r2s are great for punishing people that try to roll past you or bs fish. R1 spam is solid versus people that don't parry (i.e. 90% of the player population).

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Almost first-tried Elana on my SL1 run. She summoned pigs. I had her at one hit and one of those god drat pigs interrupted my finishing blow and she one-shot me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

PVE or PVP? PVE just spam r1s and use the wide-hitting r2s (for the katanas that have those) for groups and the thrusting r2s for narrow places. Also with enemies you can stun in one hit, hit them as they're about to attack to benefit from their sweet 130-150 counter bonus.

I don't care for PvP in the slightest, so it's 100% PvE. I can't seem to stun anything without the Stone Ring but unfortunately the Bewitched Alonne Sword pretty much requires the Bracing Knuckle Ring (as well as a good stash of Repair Powders). Why do all the coolest weapons break if you so much as look hard at them. :(

Maybe I should just give up and spend another Soul Vessel to get enough ATN and INT to use Repair.

Going for that post-apocalyptic neo-samurai style

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I should just give up and spend another Soul Vessel to get enough ATN and INT to use Repair.

Can't you spice down Repair and use the southern ritual band ring to do that without a respec?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OxMan posted:

Can't you spice down Repair and use the southern ritual band ring to do that without a respec?

I've got 3 INT and you can't spice below 10. I also already lack ring slots :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You're effectively singleplayer. May as well level up.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I've been wanting to try doing a Fake Fume Knight setup with the ultra greatsword and the fume sword. A shame they probably didn't give them a unique power stance. Being able to crib from fume's moveset would be incredible.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I just entered Brume Tower, but I'm wondering if maybe I should take a break from Iron Keep/Brume Tower bullshit and go try another area. There's no lava, but the enemies here can kill me in two hits and spawn in packs of three or more at a time. I can also kill them in two hits, but when there's a bunch of them all I can do is kite them around the room forever until all of them finally give me an opening at once and I can get a single hit in.

E: holy poo poo, I just got invaded by someone who dissolved into mist, Dracula-style, every time they rolled. Where can I learn to do that?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 28, 2016

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
it's a ring that makes you invisible during your rolls iframes. It's in brume tower but I forget where.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
man trying to choose a weapon is infuriating. I had been using the great lance for a while and it's fun, but fast enemies punish the poo poo out of me and it's stupid easy to dodge in pvp.

I remembered the claymore being good, so i ran to vengarl in shaded woods and bought it. quickly upgraded it to +8 (ran out of titanite). immediately regretted my decision. it's just not fast enough and the damage isn't as good as my lance.

anyway, i'm stuck trying to decide what to build. I kind of want to try curved greatswords, but I don't know which one. the flextralife wiki loads incredibly slowly which makes finding that stuff out just painful.

I kind of also want to try a dual wield build (maybe even curved swords or great swords?) since I've never done it, though i'm level ~84 and my str/dex are only 22/18, i'd have to invest pretty heavily to be able to powerstance practically anything good.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is the Belfry Luna a PvP free for all zone? I was constantly invaded while re-trying the gargoyles. However, each time I was invaded I had Masterless Glencour up. Each time some shithead would invade Glenny would have at them while I poked them with a +8 Heide Spear. I wound up with 5 titanite chunks that got my Heide Spear to +8 and like 4 effigies. poo poo owns I think I'm going to just camp that belfry with Glen at my back.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tabletops posted:

man trying to choose a weapon is infuriating. I had been using the great lance for a while and it's fun, but fast enemies punish the poo poo out of me and it's stupid easy to dodge in pvp.

:words:

PvP weapons make things difficult to negotiate, because where a lot of weapons on paper share movesets, they're not all equal. Example, Smelter Sword and Zwei have the same moveset, but the Smelter Sword has a ton more control on it's R2 attacks, on top of the fiery explosion special effect.

The same holds true for a lot of other weapons, often making those boss soul weapons far better than they often appear at first glance.

It goes the other direction with some of the more underwhelming and unassuming weapons, like the Bastard Sword. In that case, it's something of a one trick pony, but despite it's low damage, short range, and rather unimpressive moveset, it has extremely low stamina consumption, and -vs the uninitiated- a hugely powerful 4 hit combo. The stamina cost can be a really big deal, though and most weapon classes have something similar.

So now that you're thoroughly confused, the "trick" is to just pick a weapon and stick with it for a while. Just make progress. gently caress around excessively once you hit the credits and have access to purchasing all upgrade materials. Once you have a handful of preferences, enter NG+ and put it all to through the wringer.

The only reason you should agonize over this stuff is if you really want to limit yourself to the ~150 soul level bracket, but even then, SM fudges it all up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tabletops posted:

anyway, i'm stuck trying to decide what to build. I kind of want to try curved greatswords, but I don't know which one. the flextralife wiki loads incredibly slowly which makes finding that stuff out just painful.

The wikidot wiki is missing most of the SOTFS-specific stuff, but loads way faster. Try it out.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I just killed a ratbro host while doing my sl1 run.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Real talk, does anyone have Heide legs on PS4? It's all I need.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

ToxicFrog posted:

The wikidot wiki is missing most of the SOTFS-specific stuff, but loads way faster. Try it out.

i'll try it out!

what level do you guys suggest tackling the DLC? I just found the entrance to one of them (I think, under the primal bonfire after the iron king, wasn't there in the base game). i'm lvl ~90 something, have a +8 weapon and some other +6/5 ones. i should infuse something

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 28, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is durability still a huge issue in SotFS?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I'm pretty sure they fixed the 60fps bug, so it shouldn't be a huge issue. Some items (Washing Pole I'm looking at you) still have a hilariously low durability but that's by design.

That said... does anyone know if there's a special effect of the mobs or even the snow in Eleum Loyce that drains durability faster, like Sinh does? I couldn't even get to the second bonfire without repairing my Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe and I never had this problem in any other area (well, other than against Sinh).

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Your Computer posted:

I'm pretty sure they fixed the 60fps bug, so it shouldn't be a huge issue. Some items (Washing Pole I'm looking at you) still have a hilariously low durability but that's by design.

That said... does anyone know if there's a special effect of the mobs or even the snow in Eleum Loyce that drains durability faster, like Sinh does? I couldn't even get to the second bonfire without repairing my Dragonslayer's Crescent Axe and I never had this problem in any other area (well, other than against Sinh).

The first area in Eleum Loyce has 2 issues: the first is that it's a long way to the second bonfire and the second is the frozen dudes seem to have very high armor, so you're probably hitting the equivalent of a turtle knight or a drakekeeper so it's wearing down your stuff faster. You can run through much of Eleum Loyce without killing much, don't bother picking up items until you defrost the zone

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah i think it's more that there's a looot of stuff between you and the second bonfire

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Should I be playing souls games on the console or PC? I think I can still take this PS 4 back.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tabletops posted:

i'll try it out!

what level do you guys suggest tackling the DLC? I just found the entrance to one of them (I think, under the primal bonfire after the iron king, wasn't there in the base game). i'm lvl ~90 something, have a +8 weapon and some other +6/5 ones. i should infuse something

You're about right. DLC can be tackled relatively comfortably just about any point after hitting Shrine of Winter/Drangleic Castle (talking to the queen, I think), since that's the point you're guaranteed large shards; you can get gear to at least +6. I'd still recommend trying to scrape up the chunks to +9 your weapon.

Jose posted:

Yes, and no.

The 60fps 'bug' is still there, but corpses no longer cause durability drain, nor does hitting friendlies (attacking NPCs in Doors of Pharros didn't seem to cause any wear to Santier's Spear) So in some cases your heavy weapons will break in a few swings, when the NPC is still living while your weapon is clipping their hitbox. In other cases, when you smash them dead in a single hit -even if your swing lingers in their model- it shouldn't cause any more durability damage than the initial swing.

So it's better, but still has some problems where you're picking any choosing attacks based on how much wear it is going to impose on your weapon. For the most part, it's pretty well balanced with casters, so get some repair powders ASAP, and keep at least one weapon in reserve. It is certainly playable and almost feels appropriate, outside of the overhead Greathammer smash attacks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tabletops posted:

i'll try it out!

That's the entrance to the Old Iron King DLC. I just went in there -- SL 100, +10 claymore, +8 armour -- and Brume Tower is proving tough but doable, although there's a few areas that I've skipped and plan to go back to later. The Iron Passage, the area immediately after Brume Tower (which I found before the B.T. boss, which I'm still looking for) completely kicked my rear end, though.

It's definitely harder than either Iron Keep or Brightstone Cove, though.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Kiggles posted:

You're about right. DLC can be tackled relatively comfortably just about any point after hitting Shrine of Winter/Drangleic Castle (talking to the queen, I think), since that's the point you're guaranteed large shards; you can get gear to at least +6. I'd still recommend trying to scrape up the chunks to +9 your weapon.

You get unlimited large shards way before Drangleic. Just past the first bonfire in Huntsman's Copse is that pit with the poison butterflies. There's a giant Basilisk at the bottom who drops 3 large shards every time you kill him. Finding that out was a game-changer for me.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Should I be playing souls games on the console or PC? I think I can still take this PS 4 back.

Well, Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive, and the first Dark Souls has a very lazy PC port. I'd stick with the PS4 if either of those interests you.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Jose posted:

The main time I noticed durability was when I did a full level then did the full level again in co-op without resting at a bonfire, and when I fought Sinh I needed to use the bracing knuckle ring +2 and I still needed to switch weapons, but that is kind of his gimmick. I was using a greatsword though, there were times when I figured I would have run out if I was using a weaker weapon that required more hits. I ended up upgrading both a meat cleaver and a greatsword but I almost never had to use the cleaver.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

ponzicar posted:

Well, Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive, and the first Dark Souls has a very lazy PC port. I'd stick with the PS4 if either of those interests you.

OTOH DS1 is at least moddable for QOL fixes (tone down the eye searing lava, up some textures, DSfix etc.). DS2 I don't know if it'd make much of a difference except maybe in load times? We can only hope DS3 is as big a jump of quality from DS1 to DS2 or at least on par with DS2 as a port minus being extremely susceptible to being soft-banned.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I mainly just want to some serious tweaks to covenants. I figured Dark Souls 2 would improve upon the issues of 1 but they kinda hosed that up and the end result was somehow worse. I can only hope that they get it right with 3.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tabletops posted:

I remembered the claymore being good, so i ran to vengarl in shaded woods and bought it. quickly upgraded it to +8 (ran out of titanite). immediately regretted my decision. it's just not fast enough and the damage isn't as good as my lance.

I kind of also want to try a dual wield build (maybe even curved swords or great swords?) since I've never done it, though i'm level ~84 and my str/dex are only 22/18, i'd have to invest pretty heavily to be able to powerstance practically anything good.

a lot of basic weapons are really good both pvp and pve. often people want to use the cooler weapons from boss souls, or just the more unusual weapons, but many of those are either a one-trick pony, or only really useful on a very specific build.

off the top of my head:

basic longsword is loving baller. one hand or two-hand, it has a really good move set, and can be used pvp or pve

basic mace is legit. it deals strike damage, which really helps against armored foes (things like turtle knights or alonne knights). i don't like the mace as much for pvp because its reach is too short for my taste, but it is a pro-pick for pve

basic dagger has one of the best (if not the best) critical multipliers in the game. if you backstab or parry > attack with the dagger, you can one-shot a lot of people at equal level pvp. you can only do critical hits with your main hand, but there's enough time after a parry to switch to a dagger in the 2nd right hand slot and knife a dude, even if dagger isn't your main weapon

basic scimitar has a fairly uncommon move set which can trip some people up. if you put the scimitar in your left hand and dual-wield (but not power stance) the L2 turns into a parry, so you get a weapon that can parry. it's good for mix-ups with pvp, but i don't like the reach on the scimitar for pve

bandit axe is one of the best STR scaling weapons that isn't a great or ultra-great weapon. good for pve or pvp, thing deals a lot of damage fully upgraded

of course uchigatana is great for DEX builds. people will bitch until the end of the world if you kill them with it in pvp, but it is hated so much for good reason. really generous reach (like, beyond what the game looks like the hitbox should reach) and solid damage

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how much agility do people normally get? trying a calculator it seems once I hit 99 it takes huge amounts of adaptability in order to get it to the next point for iFrames

also what are some good, strange, dex weapons. In other runs of DS 1/2 i've used katana's, ultra greatswords and great hammers. I got the channellers trident from trading the starting item. anything good powerstanced or 2h

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

how much agility do people normally get? trying a calculator it seems once I hit 99 it takes huge amounts of adaptability in order to get it to the next point for iFrames

I always just get 20 ADP, but I hear some people swear by at least 100 AGI.