Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mullitt posted:

Our brave and proud gun owners :downsgun:

Jesus.

He's going to have to update his profile picture when she's shot to death because she went to take a midnight poo poo and knocked over a lamp or something and made a scary burglar noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Otisburg posted:

Is there any context for the Aardvark Comic Strip Man thing? I'd like to decide who's the idiot.

probably everyone

Definitely Dave Sim (if you want to read his creepy nonsense about women, here you go), maybe the other people as well.

Note: The site I linked above is pro-Sim, commending him on his misogyny, so it's not a "SJW attack."

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mullitt posted:

#everynewgunownerever

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scarf posted:

#everynewgunownerever

#notasheepbutscaredtodeathofanynoise

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Mullitt posted:

Clearly not a cat owner. An intruder would have to speak for me to not assume it wasn't just my cats being assholes. I mean, I get that they're nocturnal, but goddamn, can't they find a game that doesn't involve crashing around?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Definitely Dave Sim (if you want to read his creepy nonsense about women, here you go), maybe the other people as well.

Note: The site I linked above is pro-Sim, commending him on his misogyny, so it's not a "SJW attack."

:stare: that's a lot of words saying that women are just mindless parasites dragging the poor intelligent manly men down.

Yes how can one possibly BELIEVE Sim is a misogynist.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

AlbieQuirky posted:

The constant Capitalization of Specific Words makes the whole thing sound like a profoundly schizophrenic or autistic manifesto. Or an Enhydra lutris post.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Mullitt posted:

I've heard at least one story of a guy shooting a member of his own family, who was up getting a midnight snack.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

EvilGenius posted:

I've heard at least one story of a guy shooting a member of his own family, who was up getting a midnight snack.

I'm pretty sure this happens more often than home invaders getting shot.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Kajeesus posted:

I'm pretty sure this happens more often than home invaders getting shot.

Something like 16 times more often, if I remember the statistic correctly.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

EvilGenius posted:

And also the woman who shot her adult daughter that was visiting, and that guy that just shot his son who skipped school.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Karma Monkey posted:

Clearly not a cat owner. An intruder would have to speak for me to not assume it wasn't just my cats being assholes. I mean, I get that they're nocturnal, but goddamn, can't they find a game that doesn't involve crashing around?

I recently let my cat go out back on a leash, where he discovered there are rats in the backyard. Now he WILL NOT SHUT UP AT NIGHT!!!

So, I think my point is that I probably wouldn't mind mistaking my cat for an intruder right now.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

cash crab posted:

How much of political discourse in the US, do you think, can be reduced to "Didn't even have to read it. One word, Obama"?

I was in my Unis Criminal Justice class yesterday and we were having a discussion about US prison reform. One woman went on an anti Obama tirade saying that things like Obamacare(!) are why the prison system is broken. When I pointed out that :viggo: the President has almost no power over the prison system she just said that everything will get fixed once Obama is out of office. :psyduck:

It amazes me that someone attending class could be that seperated from the reality of the subject of said class.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I'm sure feminists everywhere would be relieved when creepers stay in their basements constantly loving a robot instead of harassing women on the street/internet.

The only problem I have with this is when the fuckbots become self aware and are effectively sex slaves. Seems like a good way to antagonize Skynet imo.

What I am saying is future generations will know me as an active campaigner for robot abolition.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TheKennedys posted:

The constant Capitalization of Specific Words makes the whole thing sound like a profoundly schizophrenic or autistic manifesto. Or an Enhydra lutris post.

Oh Sim was a bona fide IOSM before there WAS social media. He's loving certifiable and a terrible human being by all accounts.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

AlbieQuirky posted:

"SJW attack" is more often than not "I have horrible opinions and got called out for it". See also: people claiming 1st amendement on social media.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

EvilGenius posted:

Statistically, gun owners and their families are more likely to die violently then non-gun owners precisely because of poo poo like that. A gun is a useful thing to have when armed robbers come into your home, but the likelihood of committing suicide, accidentally shooting a family member, or committing a crime of passion are much higher. These people live in a fantasy world.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I mean, they might be embellishing a tad, but they aren't wrong...

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/lavender

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Who cares if it cures headaches, that poo poo sounds delicious.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Otisburg posted:

Is there any context for the Aardvark Comic Strip Man thing? I'd like to decide who's the idiot.

probably everyone

Well, here's an interview with Dave Sim:

Dave Sim posted:

It's introduced to balance the number of women and men getting into university. More women than men are getting into university, but no effort is being made to achieve a state of balance now that women are winning. The reaction to that on the part of male and female feminists is to stop thinking. If you thought about it, you would have to do something about it or admit that there's—let me be charitable—something of an inconsistency there? Feminism, like the Marxism that spawned it, demands that you ignore things like that. If the facts don't fit the program, comrade, then the facts must be mistaken.

. . . .

Leftist reactions are always histrionic. If it becomes necessary to renew my attack, I'll renew my attack. At this point, I think history will do most of the dirty work. Feminists are in an untenable position, defending something they no longer believe in, and which history will force them to recognize was destructive of most of the central pillars of civilization. I'm just the first one to point it out publicly. Everyone ignored Winston Churchill's warnings in 1937, but the question for Churchill wasn't, "What are you going to do to convince people you're right in 1938, 1939, and 1940?" If you perceive reality accurately—and I think I perceive reality a lot more accurately than feminists do—then ultimately, history will prove you right.

. . . .

It's caused what I would guess is pretty much a universal reaction, which ranges across the narrow spectrum from clinical denial to clinical shock. Arguably, over the next year or so, it will probably result in a Cerebus version of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder for those sorts of people who would rather collapse themselves around a lie than face the possible existence of an alternate truth which suits the given facts. That is to say, leftists. It's very dangerous to pretend to be open-minded when you're the exact opposite. I think feminists are only making it worse by blocking out all other viewpoints but their own, only reading their own propaganda and only associating with each other. There's this resulting exponential upsurge in quasi-scientific jargon—"content-challenged streaming issues," if you will. Quasi-scientific jargon is the underground bunker of leftist ideology. The only thing after that is the cyanide capsule or the revolver.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

cptn_dr posted:

I may not know anything about medicine, but I have lived long enough to realize that if the government says something is safe, then it certainly isn’t going to be any good for my health. I may know nothing about epidemiology, but if all the doctors are saying that I should get inoculated, then I drat well need to keep away from their hypodermics.

You don’t know what is in their serum. You don’t know where their needle has been.

Even if the theory behind vaccination is medically sound, there is a hidden agenda. Something has got to explain why public health officials go to such lengths to require that everyone is inoculated. Why would the bureaucrats care if a small number of children remain unvaccinated? (Logically, if the scientific principle is valid, there would be no one to give the occasional unvaccinated kid an infection – and there would be no other child to infect.) Do you really believe that a politician cares if some brat comes down with an infection? Do you really think anyone gives a poo poo about some bastard dying of measles?

I look at politics from one obvious perspective have culled over a lifetime: government exists only to control the citizens. Whatever politicians might put into law is not designed to protect the civilians, but to benefit the people in power.

When a stockyard vaccinations its animals, it is not done to protect the herd, but to maximize profits for the slaughterhouse. That very same principle is behind human vaccination. The government wants you to get injected for the exact same reason that the stockyard doesn’t want its sheep to come down with foot-and-mouth disease.

Vaccination is what the rancher does to his property. The government is determined to get every child inoculated not to keep them from getting some disease, but to demonstrate ownership. The bureaucrats want you vaccinated so they won’t get infected when it comes time to do the slaughtering.

When the government goons come after my hide, I’m going to make drat certain that I’m contagious. I’m making sure that some of them are going to feel the virus.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Scarf posted:

I mean, they might be embellishing a tad, but they aren't wrong...

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/lavender

Lavender is relaxing and delicious, sure. Claiming it gets rid of anxiety and headaches by drinking it is stupid. Even the link you pasted seems iffy in its efficacy as real medicine taken orally (as opposed to the listing for example, ginger), and mostly expounds on its use in chiropracty and aromatherapy. The only one they even bother going into any detail about is an alopecia study, and won't give an oral dosage recommendation.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I may not know anything about medicine, but I have lived long enough to realize that if the government says something is safe, then it certainly isn’t going to be any good for my health. I may know nothing about epidemiology, but if all the doctors are saying that I should get inoculated, then I drat well need to keep away from their hypodermics.

You don’t know what is in their serum. You don’t know where their needle has been.

Even if the theory behind vaccination is medically sound, there is a hidden agenda. Something has got to explain why public health officials go to such lengths to require that everyone is inoculated. Why would the bureaucrats care if a small number of children remain unvaccinated? (Logically, if the scientific principle is valid, there would be no one to give the occasional unvaccinated kid an infection – and there would be no other child to infect.) Do you really believe that a politician cares if some brat comes down with an infection? Do you really think anyone gives a poo poo about some bastard dying of measles?
:psyboom: Oh my god. Asked and answered within a sentence of itself. Whichever person you're quoting hit that godawful threshold of being so close to getting it that the left turn into crazytown is just that much more jarring.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

subpar anachronism posted:

Lavender is relaxing and delicious, sure. Claiming it gets rid of anxiety and headaches by drinking it is stupid. Even the link you pasted seems iffy in its efficacy as real medicine taken orally (as opposed to the listing for example, ginger), and mostly expounds on its use in chiropracty and aromatherapy. The only one they even bother going into any detail about is an alopecia study, and won't give an oral dosage recommendation.

It's cool, the author is

quote:

Steven D. Ehrlich, NMD, Solutions Acupuncture, a private practice specializing in complementary and alternative medicine, Phoenix, AZ.

There's one referenced study there that would be interesting to read (other than the one linking lavender oil to gynecomastia, whoops), but I don't have journal access.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

subpar anachronism posted:

Subjunctive posted:

It's cool, the author is

There's one referenced study there that would be interesting to read (other than the one linking lavender oil to gynecomastia, whoops), but I don't have journal access.

It's me. I am become IOSM.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When the government goons come after my hide, I’m going to make drat certain that I’m contagious. I’m making sure that some of them are going to feel the virus.

I'm the government goon. Come to give your child the cuck vaccine.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dreddout posted:

I'm the government goon. Come to give your child the cuck vaccine.

Seems like the appropriate vaccine for a goon to be administering.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Elderbean posted:

Statistically, gun owners and their families are more likely to die violently then non-gun owners precisely because of poo poo like that. A gun is a useful thing to have when armed robbers come into your home, but the likelihood of committing suicide, accidentally shooting a family member, or committing a crime of passion are much higher. These people live in a fantasy world.

If you go to YouTube, there are dozens of compilations of Gun Fail videos that are pretty nail-biting to watch, even though no one actually dies in them. It's more terrifying than entertaining to watch them, and I'm a huge fan of fail compilations in general.

cptn_dr posted:

Lavender lemonade is freaking awesome. Lavender syrup is also amazing in black tea. And I've made lemon and poppyseed cakes with lavender in them, also super delicious.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

Seems like the appropriate vaccine for a goon to be administering.

Like cures like.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

quote:

Leftist reactions are always histrionic

quote:

Arguably, over the next year or so, it will probably result in a Cerebus version of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder for those sorts of people

quote:

The only thing after that is the cyanide capsule or the revolver.

:aaaaa:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Something like 16 times more often, if I remember the statistic correctly.

Do you have a citation for this? I'd like to show it to other people.

Scathach posted:

And also the woman who shot her adult daughter that was visiting, and that guy that just shot his son who skipped school.

Do you have links to the news articles? I hope it's not a bother.

Nebrilos has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Feb 29, 2016

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

Do you have a citation for this? I'd like to show it to other people.

I don't have anything on the ratio of murders to self-defense, but this report shows a significantly higher risk of suicide, and an increased risk of homicide during a domestic dispute. I mean, it SHOULD be common sense. Violent armed robberies are rare, people getting emotional and making poor decisions is not.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full.pdf

Unfortunately the research is limited, the CDC for instance, virtually had no money allocated for research on violence due to legislation passed in the 90's. They were also not allowed to make statements based on their research that promoted any kind of gun control.

Elderbean has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Feb 29, 2016

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Nebrilos posted:

Just Google "Florida" plus the synopsis of the news story.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I think people take "[smell] is soothing, smells nice in a bath" to mean ":byodood: CURES ANXIETY!!" because it's easier than admitting that maybe anxiety is a life-long condition that needs to be dealt with daily through appropriate avenues, all of which involve a lot of work.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Otisburg posted:

Jesus.

He's going to have to update his profile picture when she's shot to death because she went to take a midnight poo poo and knocked over a lamp or something and made a scary burglar noise.

This is kind of late, but at least when called on it his response is "I dunno, didn't see anybody" so maybe she has a chance as long as she's in a different room.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

cash crab posted:

I think people take "[smell] is soothing, smells nice in a bath" to mean ":byodood: CURES ANXIETY!!" because it's easier than admitting that maybe anxiety is a life-long condition that needs to be dealt with daily through appropriate avenues, all of which involve a lot of work.

If they just said "temporarily helps alleviate symptoms" then they might have a leg to stand on. If curing my anxiety was as simple as drinking stuff with lavender in it, I'd be all better now. :smith:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
For all of these SIMPLE, NATURAL CURES for various conditions there sure are a lot of people that still seem to have them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Dreddout posted:

I was in my Unis Criminal Justice class yesterday and we were having a discussion about US prison reform. One woman went on an anti Obama tirade saying that things like Obamacare(!) are why the prison system is broken. When I pointed out that :viggo: the President has almost no power over the prison system she just said that everything will get fixed once Obama is out of office. :psyduck:

It amazes me that someone attending class could be that seperated from the reality of the subject of said class.

What country are you in that has people who are that deeply unhinged about a foreign healthcare plan? "Uni" usually means the U.K., Australia, or New Zealand, so it would be pretty weird for this lady to get that upset about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What country are you in that has people who are that deeply unhinged about a foreign healthcare plan? "Uni" usually means the U.K., Australia, or New Zealand, so it would be pretty weird for this lady to get that upset about it.

Most first world countries have universities actually.