Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

It's amazing the work that goes into moving these things safely. I imagine that even with all the care in the world, there will be a fair number of repairs needed when they get to their new home.

Yeah, that's the cost of moving. Even one of the curators snapped off an antenna by mistake, so I can only imagine how much havoc the movers wreaked.

This is one of the other models I got access too after the glass was removed. I apparently forgot to take on of the entire model, but I've posted it in this thread once before I think. This is the armoured cruiser VALKYRIEN (the Valkyrie if you couldn't guess), built just before 1900. The model was built at the same time as the ship, so it should be fairly accurate. I just love all the metal and chrome-looking parts. It weighed a ton so we couldn't even lift it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I stumbled across this, too. I was wondering how real-live super-heavy vehicles arrange their drivetrain. (I was thinking about silly supertanks, natch.) Turns out the biggest self propelled mover is the crawlers NASA uses for moving rockets - and they did what the Maus did, have engines drive generators to make electricity, then use many electric motors to actually drive the tracks.

Apollo Crawler at 1/72 scale

Been going 2 years and he hasn't finished yet. He also has some interesting views about space.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Unkempt posted:

Been going 2 years and he hasn't finished yet. He also has some interesting views about space.

"When I started building this 1/72 crawler out of paper and plastic, they called me mad...!"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Unkempt posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a while, trying to sate my reawakened desire to make plastic planes or rockets, and you do this to me. I don't even get his process for designing his model let alone the lengths he went to do it. And then he builds it. :psyduck: I'm struggling to think about going and doing proper airbrushing maybe if I get one of the Apollo rocket kits.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

He's individually casting like 500 pieces of the track that the thing moves on. He says it takes him 15 minutes per piece. :psyduck:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

ewe2 posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a while, trying to sate my reawakened desire to make plastic planes or rockets, and you do this to me. I don't even get his process for designing his model let alone the lengths he went to do it. And then he builds it. :psyduck: I'm struggling to think about going and doing proper airbrushing maybe if I get one of the Apollo rocket kits.

Well, he got the design from This card kit which he scaled up and used as a template, so he didn't really design it. But yeah.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

:siren: Double posting because I am the crapkit king! :siren:

Right, we've done tanks, planes and robots. I know nothing about ships and the dinosaurs look a bit limited, so I'm going for cars. Well, civilian vehicles, anyway.

The bucket loader and aerosan are unfortunately out. I was thinking of something from Jordan Highway but they're apparently US only which is a pisser. The fishyard forklift I've always wanted is too expensive, and, well, I'd kind of like to have you all do this:

-but I think it might be a bit... limited?

So, this month's CrapCar (unless anyone has serious objections) is this magnificent beast:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI20219/Aut

Works out at $11.58 inc. postage to me and I'm on the other side of the planet so that should be OK. Lots of things you can do with a flatbed; it's 32nd scale, so close enough to 1/35 that any spare weaponry you might have should go nicely.

Or, you know, get a dinosaur too and get them to gently caress. Whatever.

OK?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Unkempt posted:

OK?

I wish I didn't know that that was actually a thing, and more importantly, I wish I didn't know it was a thing prior to now, but I was aware of it years ago. :(

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Antifreeze Head posted:

He's individually casting like 500 pieces of the track that the thing moves on. He says it takes him 15 minutes per piece. :psyduck:

Eh if he's got multiple molds it wouldn't take that long.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm almost done ballasting, even though it's like my 5th layout I've always been bad at this (most people are and hate it) but every time I think I get a touch better.

Next I'm going to weather things up a bit more. Add oil stains and all that. For the sidings I'm going to hand-paint the ties to look older and less uniform before I ballast.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

So, this month's CrapCar (unless anyone has serious objections) is this magnificent beast:

I'm guessing that there were a few orders from people here between when you posted that and now since it currently reflects as backordered with a 4-6 week timeframe to get it shipped out.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

:siren: Double posting because I am the crapkit king! :siren:

Right, we've done tanks, planes and robots. I know nothing about ships and the dinosaurs look a bit limited, so I'm going for cars. Well, civilian vehicles, anyway.

The bucket loader and aerosan are unfortunately out. I was thinking of something from Jordan Highway but they're apparently US only which is a pisser. The fishyard forklift I've always wanted is too expensive, and, well, I'd kind of like to have you all do this:

Works out at $11.58 inc. postage to me and I'm on the other side of the planet so that should be OK. Lots of things you can do with a flatbed; it's 32nd scale, so close enough to 1/35 that any spare weaponry you might have should go nicely.

OK?

quote:

Backordered
Usually ships within 4 to 6 weeks

:(

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm guessing that there were a few orders from people here between when you posted that and now since it currently reflects as backordered with a 4-6 week timeframe to get it shipped out.

gently caress

... including my order which now says 4-6 weeks as well.

OK, if you click on the 'Owners Club Series' link there are like four or five little 3-wheel truck things on there, so let's just say any of those.

edit:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI20207/Aut

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI20218/Aut

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI20217/Aut

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI20245/Aut

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI20251/Aut

One of these. Maybe some other Japanese stores would have them too, I'm not that familiar with those guys.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 27, 2016

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Some poor purchasing agent is going to make some very bad decisions soon about the popularity of three wheeled 1/32 scale models and the North American market.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Some poor purchasing agent is going to make some very bad decisions soon about the popularity of three wheeled 1/32 scale models and the North American market.

"The only way that the retro consumer tri-wheel vehicle model market can go now is up uP UP! Look at the numbers, Tanaka-san! Numbers never lie!"

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Though, looking at the links, some of them are pretty cool indeed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

Congratulations, thread! You're market makers.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm just gonna order it backordered. Get my son one of the 1/100 zvezda tanks he likes while I'm at it. My car is gonna be late.

edit:

Gentlemen:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI20224/Aut

!!!

!!!

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 27, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's Jackson time!

This is an old, old Tamiya model, probably the earliest one of theirs that I ever assembled. It's hilariously simple, to the point where the tools stowed on the rear plate are actually molded in one piece with the plate itself. This is likely the simplest kit I've ever built, including the crew parts.

Since the hull is hollow for battery placement, the fighting compartment floor was clumsily moved onto the bottom of a turret basket which the M36 didn't actually have. Thankfully, Tamiya included a sprue of crewmen to cover up their shame. Even though it's marked "US Tank Crew", only the commander is wearing a tanker's uniform. The others are wearing infantry uniforms. That sprue also includes a clip of 37 mm rounds, a 57 mm round, and a 75 or 76 mm round, as well as a Thompson and a Grease Gun. Mysteriously, there are also two Garands, even though tank crews did not use them (tank destroyer crews did have M1 Carbines though, maybe Tamiya got confused). Thankfully, the kit includes two 90 mm shells and two empty casings for the loader to hold. Strangely enough, the ammunition ready rack in the turret is modelled completely empty, and neither the spare shell not casings fit into it.

The gun breech and two seats take up most of the turret space, making it hard to stuff the three crewmen into it. For some strange reason, the loaders seat is flipped down, making it even harder to fit the crew in. The gunner's electric traverse pedals are modelled into the floor, but no elevation mechanisms are present.

Aside from the turret basket, the only other major fuckup in the kit is the M2 Browning, which was presumably designed by someone who has never actually seen one and only had it described to him. This was seriously the worst M2 that I've ever seen, including the Revell-Monogram one that had a solid triangle of plastic for handles. I replaced it with a much less embarrassing Italeri M2 that I had left over from the Chaffee. The vehicle is also noticeably longer than the Italeri Sherman I have, even though it was something like 10 cm longer in real life.

The decals included in the kit are basic, but decent quality: five whole white stars and three serial/unit numbers for various tank destroyer units. Sadly American tanks are probably the most lacking of all when it comes to visually interesting paint jobs/markings.

I tried that hair spray technique again, but I think I overdid it with the amount I applied. You can see what I was going for in the lower hull, where not that much hairspray landed, but the upper hull turned into a hideous mess. I decided to clean it all off, but a thin white film kept re-appearing no matter how much I scrubbed. Thankfully it vanished when I hit the model with gloss Tamiya spray. The decals, covered by a layer of the same spray, were not damaged even though I used alcohol to clean off the whitewash, aside from that one on the front, which suffered some damage. The result looks actually pretty decent, and I'm glad I didn't gently caress up an expensive model with my experiments.

Overall, this is a basic kit, but a good one. I scored it for under ten bucks in the chaos of a boxing day sale where I didn't have much time to examine it closely, but I'm happy with what I paid for it. Naturally, these days if you want a Jackson you'd go for the AFV Club version, but this is a good kit for a beginner or something to experiment with.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unkempt posted:

OK?

This would make a bitchin ISIS battletruck. I'm totally down even though I haven't finished crappire. gently caress it, finishing crappire tonight.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Hah, a dinky li'l .50 cal? I have a Neberwerfer lying around, I wonder if that will fit into the truck bed...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This would make a bitchin ISIS battletruck. I'm totally down even though I haven't finished crappire. gently caress it, finishing crappire tonight.

Shipping from Japan is going to take at lease a month, plus it's another month for them to get the order in. This is absolutely a summer build type thing. Finish your Crappire, but enjoy it man.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm just gonna order it backordered. Get my son one of the 1/100 zvezda tanks he likes while I'm at it. My car is gonna be late.

edit:

Gentlemen:

http://www.hlj.com/product/ARI20224/Aut

!!!

!!!

drat, that's the one I liked the most as well!

Someone is scratching their head tomorrow morning.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Mazda T2000 is already appearing as Low Stock, we're clearing these guys out.

Edit: hah, I snatched up the last one, suckers.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 27, 2016

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
My first ever tank build has been completed!

I created some damages on the track guards with some pliers, otherwise it's straight out of the box. First I painted the turret and body with grayish black, than hairsprayed it all. After that I covered it all in light brown and freehanded some mud brown and dark green camo streaks. Then I chipped away at the paint, painted some of the details before giving it a coat of Humbrol clear (gloss). Last steps was to put decals on, a light acrylic pin wash and just covered it with brownish gray weathering and some rust color I mixed up myself. Not too shabby if I may say so myself.

One if your american quarters for scale. It's 1:72.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks great! The only thing wrong with it is that the chipping is kind of random and not in places where wear would naturally occur. Also German tanks had a coat of rust red primer underneath their paint, not gray. Gray under yellow would only be seen on vehicles shipped to Africa early on and then painted in the field.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks great! The only thing wrong with it is that the chipping is kind of random and not in places where wear would naturally occur. Also German tanks had a coat of rust red primer underneath their paint, not gray. Gray under yellow would only be seen on vehicles shipped to Africa early on and then painted in the field.

Thanks! I didn't do any research, just figured dark gray would look good. But now I know! :)

I also jumped on the crap car thing, I got the Mazda K360 which was in stock. But I think shipping will be at least a couple of weeks.

makka-setan fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 28, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

makka-setan posted:

My first ever tank build has been completed!

I created some damages on the track guards with some pliers, otherwise it's straight out of the box. First I painted the turret and body with grayish black, than hairsprayed it all. After that I covered it all in light brown and freehanded some mud brown and dark green camo streaks. Then I chipped away at the paint, painted some of the details before giving it a coat of Humbrol clear (gloss). Last steps was to put decals on, a light acrylic pin wash and just covered it with brownish gray weathering and some rust color I mixed up myself. Not too shabby if I may say so myself.

One if your american quarters for scale. It's 1:72.

Nice. Dragon 1/72?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm almost done ballasting, even though it's like my 5th layout I've always been bad at this (most people are and hate it) but every time I think I get a touch better.

Next I'm going to weather things up a bit more. Add oil stains and all that. For the sidings I'm going to hand-paint the ties to look older and less uniform before I ballast.

You need to fire your landscaper, they are doing a terrible job of weed control. :v:

It's Jackson time!

Now you need to make 4 more. :colbert:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
1:35 doesn't really allow for multiples of the same tank until I become a millionaire and buy a mansion.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

1:35 doesn't really allow for multiples of the same tank until I become a millionaire and buy a mansion.

Oh come on man, it's like ABC.

As easy as 123!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's bad! And you know it!

It's not even my joke...

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 28, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonny Nox posted:

Oh come on man, it's like ABC.

As easy as 123!

That's bad! And you know it!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Next project! Moebius' "Bela Lugosi as Broadways Dracula".

This should be a fun one!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It was a terrible Jackson Five joke. :negative:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Can't wait to see this one!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

1/8, drat, that's pretty big. Looks like fun!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Locator posted:

It was a terrible Jackson Five joke. :negative:

It was a good bad joke too. A++ would snerk again.

Unkempt posted:

Well, he got the design from This card kit which he scaled up and used as a template, so he didn't really design it. But yeah.

I'm not sure I'm more relieved that he didn't design it but wanted to improve on it.

What are people's views on rocket kits? I'm trying not to rush out and grab one of the Airfix sets, but New Ware's collection looks good too, anyone built one of them?

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nice. Dragon 1/72?

T(h)anks! Revell actually.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

ewe2 posted:

It was a good bad joke too. A++ would snerk again.

I'm not sure I'm more relieved that he didn't design it but wanted to improve on it.

What are people's views on rocket kits? I'm trying not to rush out and grab one of the Airfix sets, but New Ware's collection looks good too, anyone built one of them?

Not an expert but I believe Dragon are the new hotness in Apollo kits. They only do the Saturn V in 1/72 though and it's stupidly huge and expensive. No idea about New Ware, looks like they do resin kits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Just a wee bit late for Valentine's Day, it's a Bronco Valentine Mk.IX! I've been working on this thing since mid-January, it's the most complicated and (at $70 CAD) the most expensive kit I've put together to date. Prepare for lots of pictures and lots of words.

This fucker has a lot of hatches, and thankfully, enough interior detail that you might want to show most of them wide open.

Driver's compartment, probably the most detailed part of the tank. You get the seat, all the levers, two Mk.4 periscopes, and the control panels. Looking at actual reference photos, there are still bits missing, but this is easily good enough. Sadly I can't get a good photo of the driver's station despite the deceptively large hatches. The driver's viewport also opens up, but you can't really see anything through it.

The turret is less detailed. It contains the gun breech, three periscopes, and the radio set. The hatches here are smal, so it's harder to see. The turret ring is fully detailed, and the turret clicks into it and rotates freely, but the fit on the two locking pins is tight enough that I couldn't get it out again to show off the underside. Interestingly enough, one of the three turret periscopes is listed in a separate instruction step than the other four, but I can't tell the difference.

Sorta artsy shot through the pistol ports. The pistol ports look like they can open and close after assembly, but I glued them in the open position since I doubt I could get them open again if they closed. This shot also shows off the excellent casting texture on the turret.

You can see the tracks here, easily my favourite part of the kit. They click together and remain movable after assembly, although the pins are a wee bit too weak and the track can tear due to handling. Thankfully less than a dozen pieces broke during assembly, and a few glued in links scattered throughout the flexible track aren't that noticeable, I hope. Also, the springy suspension works very well with these tracks if you want to display it on some kind of rough terrain diorama.

Trying to get a closer shot of the smoke grenade ammo box. The kit includes a decal sheet for these boxes, with these incredibly tiny and annoying to apply labels. I had to get them out of my water bowl with my left hand, since the shadow cast by my right made them impossible to see.

The transmission compartment, the only completely detailed part of the tank. For some reason, reviews claimed that the engine compartment is fully detailed, but the engine compartment is actually completely empty, without even a firewall to separate it from the fighting compartment. This was kind of disappointing, as all of the engine hatches can be glued in the open position and have interior details.

I have one complaint about the assembly process here: the fuel tank that has to be aligned with that hole on the right side is glued in about a dozen instruction steps prior, with no hint that it has to be aligned with anything or any markings on the compartment floor where to put it. Thankfully you can't really see it behind the radiators anyway, but it's a bit annoying. I decided to slap on a few figures for a "gently caress it, not again" mechanical breakdown scene.

The other side's smoke grenade box. For some reason it's a different shape.

Side view to complete the set:

Now, for the overall impressions. The kit has a shitton of parts, but not all are used in the assembly. There are four painting variants (two Soviet, two British in the desert) and each one has its own set of fenders. There are also two gun barrels included, two variants of upper front plates, two transmission cover options, two headlight options, and a bunch of optional bits to hang off the sides. You really need to study the manual carefully and figure out what your desired tank looks like, since a lot of the time there are zero hints in the manual as to which option matches what variant. This is probably heaven for Valentine enthusiasts that want a very, very specific kind of Valentine Mk.IX, but I'd rather they eliminate all this extra stuff and use the parts that freed up to spice up the interior a little more. At least put in a firewall or something so the interior doesn't look so barren.

The decals come in two sheets, one with the tiny stencil marks for the smoke grenade boxes, and one with ones for the tank. Since I was painting my tank to be a specific unit (16th Independent Tank Brigade) I used my own. The Soviet decals provided are rather uninspired anyway: one Guards unit (with improperly done Guards insignia, I might add) and "Unknown Unit" with a small and boring white tactical number. As always, the British desert options are much more visually interesting, both in terms of camouflage patters and markings.

The aforementioned manual is very high quality, printed on gloss paper in colour... but contains a ton of typos throughout. Bronco's English is not their strong point, unfortunately. Thankfully all the typos are in words instead of part numbers, and assembly is, for the most part, painless. The box also comes with a small poster of the box art included in the kit.

Coincidentally, I built another Valentine somewhat recently, and it ran me exactly half of what this kit cost, so a comparison is mandatory!

The other kit is a VM Valentine MkIV. From the front, you can see the superior detailing on the headlights, far better gun barrel, and better tracks on the Bronco version. The VM version also has a much more basic driver's cabin with no interior details or opening hatches.

Despite the lack of movable suspension, the VM Valentine's wheels are just as nice as the Bronco, aside from the drive sprocket. The VM muffler didn't have an opening, and also no photo-etched grille, but you can't see it on the Valentine anyway, since it's covered by a solid sheet of metal. The VM Valentine's engine hatch handles were also ridiculously brittle and all shattered when I tried to get them off the sprue, so I covered it up with all the extra track links. Seriously, they give you a ton of track links. The Bronco kit has like 6 spare links. Here you can also see the one thing that the VM kit does better: the shovel. The Bronco kit covers it up with a fuel tank, anyway, but I really like the molding on the VM one.

If you look closely, you can also see that the Bronco turret has a subtle rough casting texture, whereas the VM turret is perfectly smooth.

Rear of the tanks. You can see the simpler engine compartment cover of the VM kit. The entire top comes in one piece, like we're all used to, compared to the Bronco one that has almost a dozen separate assemblies that make up the top of the hull, making painting the interior a bit of a pain. You can also see the added value of the Bronco kit here, as it comes with two fire extinguishers.

Other side, showing off more of the tools that are omitted in the VM version, and also the pistol port in the turret, which does not open.

General side by side comparison. The two tanks are a slightly different colour for some reason, even though as far as I remember they were both painted with P3 Battledress Green, the closest colour I've ever seen to Soviet 4BO.

The verdict: is the Bronco kit better than the VM one? Definitely. Is it twice as good? I don't think so. Too many fiddly bits and the pain in the rear end multi-part upper hull makes me think that I should have gone for the slightly simpler MiniArt Valentine. The kit actually made me burn out a little bit, so I put together the Tamiya Jackson while making it. On the other hand, this is a Mk.IX, which I don't think anyone else makes.

With this, my British Lend-Lease collection is almost complete. Sadly my local hobby shops have a bunch of Tamiya Churchill VIIs and AFV Churchill engineering tanks, but not a single Mk.II, Mk.III or Mk.IV in sight, which were the only versions shipped to the USSR. And yet there are like 50 Tiger variants in ever store, there is no justice in this world :ussr::hf::britain: