Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Danger Mahoney posted:

You know, it's a little irritating that so many of these mods gate their really cool stuff behind end-game challenges but then don't add any reason to use the cool stuff afterwards. Yeah, you can have this super sword, but the thing you have to beat to get it is harder than anything else in the game, so you probably didn't need it anyway. Yeah, you can have this diamond-detecting mega pickaxe but the resources required to get it are way more than you would ever need otherwise, so you're probably pretty well stocked anyway. Here's a great way to move mana around but getting it is literally the only thing you need to move so much mana around for.

Well, most of the authors who actually have a basic grasp of balance and progression leave the scene to become devs on their own projects. The rest, do stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think Thaumcraft's gotten a lot better about it. I really do feel golems should be pre-infusion, since infusion necessarily requires an essentia smelter and storage system, and from there, most likely, a Thaumatorium. You have to go through all that to unlock infusing, then get biothaumic minds to get golems that can do almost anything worthwhile, and any golem that can break things needs 2 diamonds.
Otherwise, though, they've really improved -- wand foci and their upgrades are more affordable early on, the new aura system means you don't have to search for a bunch of nodes (or one "perfect" node) and then convert it to a Centivis system before you can really do any spellcasting worthwhile, spells on the fly are much simpler, and once you have an air-transfer system, which is surprisingly affordable, essentia management becomes really easy. Even research doesn't require much of a grind. If you have ink and paper you can do nearly all the research as soon as you get the thaumonomicon itself, and from there just branch out into what you want to actually do.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

How do I set molten fluid filters on Pneumo Servo attached to a fluiduct? I tried left/right/middle clicking the blank space and dragging stuff from NEI but the only thing that I got to happen was burning myself when I right-clicked some cheated molten gold I was carrying.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bouchacha posted:

How do I set molten fluid filters on Pneumo Servo attached to a fluiduct? I tried left/right/middle clicking the blank space and dragging stuff from NEI but the only thing that I got to happen was burning myself when I right-clicked some cheated molten gold I was carrying.

Try using a bucket of the fluid

http://ftbwiki.org/Filter_%28Thermal_Dynamics%29

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
So I've been playing on a FTB Infinity server with some people. Hadn't been on in a week or so, and I log on to find this;

...Some bozo had activated a Blood Magic demon village not-at-all far away from spawn. Now it's overtaken a friend's base (blue) and is nearly at mine (red). :stonklol:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've noticed in my mucking around in the BFSR beta that I wind up crashing the client side fairly often when I am rummaging through NEI. If it doesn't outright crash, sometimes things hang up for a few seconds. I haven't made sense of the crash dumps yet, and I don't think I'll get enough information to explain the performance hiccups. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and if there's some trick to it.

Aside from that, I'd be curious if somebody could itemize some RFTool stuff I should check out other than the interdimensional stuff and the signal emitters. I discovered the latter yesterday when I needed a basic pattern generator. They are good things.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Jetamo posted:

So I've been playing on a FTB Infinity server with some people. Hadn't been on in a week or so, and I log on to find this;

...Some bozo had activated a Blood Magic demon village not-at-all far away from spawn. Now it's overtaken a friend's base (blue) and is nearly at mine (red). :stonklol:

Wait, is that spreading?! Are the demons expanding their town?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Thyrork posted:

yeah -- blood magic demon towns grow over time

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

That is amazing and things can only get better (for a lovecraftian value of better) if more mods did this.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the 1.7 version of blood magic also had a pretty nice little instruction booklet that was presented in journal form, though it suffered from a lot of spelling mistakes

if he got someone to edit the copy on that it'd be really cool, i wasted a lot of time idling on a server just reading the journal / instruction book

it might exist in 1.8 but the GuideAPI dependency hasn't made it over yet

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've noticed in my mucking around in the BFSR beta that I wind up crashing the client side fairly often when I am rummaging through NEI. If it doesn't outright crash, sometimes things hang up for a few seconds. I haven't made sense of the crash dumps yet, and I don't think I'll get enough information to explain the performance hiccups. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this, and if there's some trick to it.
NEI in general is not very good at coping with broken recipes that don't otherwise break Minecraft. If you haven't already it's worth installing and tuning INpureCore, unless there's an alternative that's still being updated, to heavily trim recipes.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Aside from that, I'd be curious if somebody could itemize some RFTool stuff I should check out other than the interdimensional stuff and the signal emitters. I discovered the latter yesterday when I needed a basic pattern generator. They are good things.
The screens are pretty great and worth a thorough look, I've heard the builders are great but haven't used them myself, and the redstone tools in general are good.

Threep fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 29, 2016

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Thyrork posted:

Yep. After the first one, you learn very quickly to never summon one anywhere near anything you care about.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The beta has been a lot laggier for me than the original bfsr, to the point of sending my laptop into disk swapping due to ram being full. On top of that, my world spawn is in a cave, so first thing I had to do was go into creative and bust my way out.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

taiyoko posted:

The beta has been a lot laggier for me than the original bfsr, to the point of sending my laptop into disk swapping due to ram being full. On top of that, my world spawn is in a cave, so first thing I had to do was go into creative and bust my way out.

Other than the tutorial world stuff, I have not done too much else with the pack. I am unsure if RFTools was in a previous release, but I never heard of any problems with it. I did replace the Realistic World Generator with the Realistic Terrain Generator, but that only matters if you specified to use that terrain generator. ATG is the default, and it has been frozen at the same version; there hasn't been a new release over the lifetime of the pack for me to use as an update.

Could you do me a favor and try a science project for me? The tutorial dimension portal area has a chunk loader underneath it in order to keep all the teleporters I intended to put overhead accessible. That is always going to be resident. I can't see how that could be so bad, but hey, maybe it is. If you beat that up, the tutorial dimension should no longer be ticking at all when you are not in there. If everything seems to magically speed up afterwards, then I will have to junk the teleporter room thing.

If you spawned in a version that didn't start in the tutorial dimension, then all bets are off on what was going on. However, I suspect whatever seed you used would still work. Could you tell me which worldgen you used and what seed it was? Also, what were the spawn coordinates? Between all that, I can see if I wound up with the same thing as you. It could just be tough luck.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Seed is -9028300663504607499, overworld spawn is at 176,82,248 (NBTEdit says it's y=64, though, so it may have shunted me to the nearest valid spawn height) and I used ATG. And that world did start me in the tutorial dimension, it's that when I went to the overworld via the command block that I was stuck underground. Trying to see if removing the chunkloader helps, but it certainly wasn't immediate...but it may need me to restart the game instead so trying that. Ideally I'd dump another 2 gigs of ram in here to take it up to 6, but that's money I don't have at the moment.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

taiyoko posted:

Seed is -9028300663504607499, overworld spawn is at 176,82,248 (NBTEdit says it's y=64, though, so it may have shunted me to the nearest valid spawn height) and I used ATG. And that world did start me in the tutorial dimension, it's that when I went to the overworld via the command block that I was stuck underground. Trying to see if removing the chunkloader helps, but it certainly wasn't immediate...but it may need me to restart the game instead so trying that. Ideally I'd dump another 2 gigs of ram in here to take it up to 6, but that's money I don't have at the moment.

I reproduced it. I don't think there is any tricks I can do about it. I have had that happen with ATG in similar circumstances. It generated a really steep mountain there. What I have seen sometimes is it picks a spawn point that is at the low end of the height, but then when it picks a place for you to appear, it winds up being a spot inside a mountain. That stuff happened before I even got into it with stuff.

I guess technically I could come up with a half-fix for that. I could find the highest block before I hit sky stuff and have the player pop out there, but that would only apply for when players hit the Overworld button. If you die and respawn at the Overworld spawn, anything goes.

Other stuff: So what should I do to profile how the pack is running? I have noticed things have slowed down a little too, but I've tried to explain it away as here and there, like me running a test server on this computer.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Other stuff: So what should I do to profile how the pack is running? I have noticed things have slowed down a little too, but I've tried to explain it away as here and there, like me running a test server on this computer.

Add otis to the server and the pack

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Add otis to the server and the pack

Alrighty. So I'll try to push out a new beta tomorrow with Otis, and meanwhile get Discord on the server.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

EricFate posted:

Yep. After the first one, you learn very quickly to never summon one anywhere near anything you care about.

And in this case "anywhere near" is a thousand blocks. Apparently the demon city can go about that far in any direction.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Alrighty. So I'll try to push out a new beta tomorrow with Otis, and meanwhile get Discord on the server.

discord is a simple to use Chat program that does audio and text chat, you just create a group and then post a discord invite
like this https://discord.gg/0rIIczxhaJcQLzC0

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Any word on whats happened to the Painterly Pack website?

When I switched to 1.9 I lost my hella sweet visual pack :(

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Does 1.8.9 have different mob spawning rules? I'm playing sky magic and I was waiting for some skeletons to spawn but 1) things are taking ages to spawn and 2) they keep despawning while I'm not paying attention.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So, was that Otis, or Opis? All I get searching for Otis is random Minecraft duders.

Sure hope it's something that isn't Opis. MobiusCore (Opis dependency) is imploding on me because it cannot find net.minecraft.world.World for some reason.

code:
[19:07:25] [main/INFO] [MobiusCore/]: [MobiusCore] Found net.minecraft.world.World [ ahb ] with checksum 693494A6C142B4A8C3A74F71577C8B71
[19:07:25] [main/INFO] [MobiusCore/]: Found World.updateEntities()...
[19:07:25] [main/ERROR] [LaunchWrapper/]: Unable to launch
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/world/World
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:72) ~[Main.class:?]
	... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.world.World
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:191) ~[launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_74]
	... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Pattern not found while trying to inject into h
	at mcp.mobius.mobiuscore.asm.CoreTransformer.transform(CoreTransformer.java:89) ~[MobiusCore-1.2.5_1.7.10%20(1).jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.runTransformers(LaunchClassLoader.java:279) ~[launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:176) ~[launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Pattern not found while trying to inject into h
	at mcp.mobius.mobiuscore.asm.transformers.TransformerBase.applyPayloadBefore(TransformerBase.java:209) ~[MobiusCore-1.2.5_1.7.10%20(1).jar:?]
	at mcp.mobius.mobiuscore.asm.transformers.forge.TransformerWorld.transform(TransformerWorld.java:156) ~[MobiusCore-1.2.5_1.7.10%20(1).jar:?]
	at mcp.mobius.mobiuscore.asm.CoreTransformer.transform(CoreTransformer.java:37) ~[MobiusCore-1.2.5_1.7.10%20(1).jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.runTransformers(LaunchClassLoader.java:279) ~[launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
	at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:176) ~[launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
I'd ponder that my Forge is too old, but this release of MobiusCore claims to be from April of last year.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 1, 2016

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything in any mod that will grow a nice flat plane of blocks for me? Like if I wanted a large flat platform made out of something solid and didn't want to place the blocks manually.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is there anything in any mod that will grow a nice flat plane of blocks for me? Like if I wanted a large flat platform made out of something solid and didn't want to place the blocks manually.

psi if you like vectors

similsax transtructors let you build bridges really easily

thaumcraft 5's builder focus is good at filling in frames

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Danger Mahoney posted:

There's also the extra utilities builders wand.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

senae posted:

Does 1.8.9 have different mob spawning rules? I'm playing sky magic and I was waiting for some skeletons to spawn but 1) things are taking ages to spawn and 2) they keep despawning while I'm not paying attention.

Nope, the rules are the same as always. 1) Make sure that your mob spawning room isn't near your spawn point (build it out a bit, not at your home island - at least 24 blocks away). 2) If you're actively trying for mobs to spawn and not despawn, make sure that you are between 24 and 32 blocks away from the room, and that the room is as totally dark as you can manage.

If you can manage it, a good way is a proper mob tower - if it's at least 24+ blocks up, you can just sit at the bottom while they drop, then they can't despawn because you're too close, and they'll take damage so you can kill them easier (using less durability + hunger).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I didn't know about the spawn point thing. Does that 24 block rule count vertically? Also, is it the world spawn point or where your bed is?

I ask because, like a smart guy, I built my mob tower smack dab near the spawn point of my skyblock, though it goes up 22 blocks. It doesn't work very well, so I'm thinking I might have screwed up by not building it out a ways.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

taiyoko posted:

There's also the extra utilities builders wand.
Which unfortunately is not in 1.8.9. Neither is OpenBlocks. Two very handy Miscellaneous Mods that I find myself sorely missing.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
I've found a modpack that's the best and the worst thing I've ever seen. It was created surgically by people with programming experience and wield MineTweaker as a weapon of terror. It's designed around a mod that's likely notorious around here, :siren:GregTech:siren:. But that’s only the beginning.

I present to you:

GT New Horizons

At a very basic level, it’s a large modpack with mods more typical of generic kitchen sink modpacks but MineTweaker has been used abused extensively to provide almost everything with a GregTech recipe. For example, here is the recipe for Carpenter’s Blocks:

It needs 4 wood screws, 4 wood frame boxes, and a GregTech screwdriver.

Just to make the wood screws, you need 2 short wood sticks and a GregTech file.

To make short wood sticks, you need a GregTech saw and an ordinary stick.

For more information on GregTech’s crazy tools, there’s this wiki page. If you think “what’s the big deal, iron is plentiful anyway” then I suggest you read up on GregTech’s ore generation.

You'd think that'd be bad enough, but here's some other highlights of the mod pack:
  • Spice of Life is in it so food has diminishing returns after 10 uses.
  • IguanaTweaks is in it and is configured to disable all non-TiCon tools (except for GregTech) on top of the mod's default restrictions.
  • Hunger Overhaul is in it, so vanilla food is only useful for making better things from Pam's Harvestcraft and can even get you killed because...
  • ... there's a custom mod installed called AngerMod that makes pigs attack if you eat pork near them, cows attack if you eat beef, etc.
  • AngerMod also makes Endermen angry with you if you mine GregTech ore blocks near them.
  • There's another custom mod that allows potion effects to be applied when certain items are in your inventory. It's mostly used to set you on fire if you're holding lava.
  • It has Lava Monsters, Ender Zoo, Natura, and Special Mobs all of which have a chance of spawning via Infernal Mobs so you can be sure that the Overworld and the Nether are extremely dangerous.
  • Zombie Awareness is in it so Skeletons and Zombies are made more dangerous in a variety of ways. Zombie invasions are possible because of this.
  • They also wrote a custom mod to allow GregTech machines to be used in MineTweaker.
  • It uses a fork of Nodal Mechanics that changes the recipes to use Forbidden Magic items and aspects that require you to go into the horrific Nether.
  • Random Things is in the pack and configured to make it pitch black at night.
  • Bloodmoons are also enabled and are terrifying due to an amalgamation of the previously mentioned mob additions and changes.
  • Oddly, this is the only GregTech modpack I've found that extensively makes use of HQM. It's got that going for it...

That's all I've found so far. This is by far the most concerted effort I've ever seen to make modded Minecraft miserable. I'll at least give it an A+ for effort due to the sheer amount of work that's gone into it.

:psyboom:

EDIT: Made a mistake with the recipe example. You only need a saw to make 4 sticks instead of 2.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 1, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh hey, I think I'll just phone it in and replace the BFSR beta with this. Ship it!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

I didn't know about the spawn point thing. Does that 24 block rule count vertically? Also, is it the world spawn point or where your bed is?

I ask because, like a smart guy, I built my mob tower smack dab near the spawn point of my skyblock, though it goes up 22 blocks. It doesn't work very well, so I'm thinking I might have screwed up by not building it out a ways.

It's spherical, and it's any player spawn point. So both world spawn and your spawn count. So, yeah, having it directly above you is almost certainly interfering. You need to either make it taller or move it.

Vib Rib posted:

Which unfortunately is not in 1.8.9. Neither is OpenBlocks. Two very handy Miscellaneous Mods that I find myself sorely missing.
I miss the builder's wand, myself. And I'd add OpenBlocks just for the Elevator if I could. (Also for XP storage, one thing I don't really have a way to do yet in Sky Magic - I wish Automagy was for 1.8.9 too.)

CoreDuo posted:

I've found a modpack that's the best and the worst thing I've ever seen. It was created surgically by people with programming experience and wield MineTweaker as a weapon of terror. It's designed around a mod that's likely notorious around here, :siren:GregTech:siren:. But that’s only the beginning.

I present to you:

GT New Horizons

:eyepop:

GOD no

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

quote:

Some passive mobs explode on death
Wait, what?

Sooooo, how good are the HQM quests exactly? Do they give decent rewards? Are they just tutorial nonsense or do they involve some kind of overarching goal?
Also how do I even install the thing? I don't see what launcher it uses. Or is this some kind of weird server-only modpack?

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Wait, what?

Sooooo, how good are the HQM quests exactly? Do they give decent rewards? Are they just tutorial nonsense or do they involve some kind of overarching goal?
Also how do I even install the thing? I don't see what launcher it uses. Or is this some kind of weird server-only modpack?

Here. It's technically hidden and they use their own Solder instance so I didn't know whether to link it or not. But it's easy to find on Google. You just have to put the URL into the search box in the launcher. I had to make the server pack myself. I only looked at a few of the quest lines in HQM which were mostly tutorial stuff. It had like 23 quest lines so I didn't look through all of them.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 1, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

CoreDuo posted:

I present to you:

GT New Horizons

At a very basic level, it’s a large modpack with mods more typical of generic kitchen sink modpacks but MineTweaker has been used abused extensively to provide almost everything with a GregTech recipe. For example, here is the recipe for Carpenter’s Blocks:

It needs 4 wood screws, 4 wood frame boxes, and a GregTech screwdriver.

Just to make the wood screws, you need 2 short wood sticks and a GregTech file.

To make short wood sticks, you need a GregTech saw and an ordinary stick.

Do you think they left the recipe for making sticks alone? Of course not! That requires two wooden planks and the aforementioned saw.

So what about wooden planks? Yep, that requires a saw too.

For more information on GregTech’s crazy tools, there’s this wiki page. If you think “what’s the big deal, iron is plentiful anyway” then I suggest you read up on GregTech’s ore generation.

You'd think that'd be bad enough, but here's some other highlights of the mod pack:
  • Spice of Life is in it so food has diminishing returns after 10 uses.
  • IguanaTweaks is in it and is configured to disable all non-TiCon tools (except for GregTech) on top of the mod's default restrictions.
  • Hunger Overhaul is in it, so vanilla food is only useful for making better things from Pam's Harvestcraft and can even get you killed because...
  • ... there's a custom mod installed called AngerMod that makes pigs attack if you eat pork near them, cows attack if you eat beef, etc.
  • AngerMod also makes Endermen angry with you if you mine GregTech ore blocks near them.
  • There's another custom mod that allows potion effects to be applied when certain items are in your inventory. It's mostly used to set you on fire if you're holding lava.
  • It has Lava Monsters, Ender Zoo, Natura, and Special Mobs all of which have a chance of spawning via Infernal Mobs so you can be sure that the Overworld and the Nether are extremely dangerous.
  • Zombie Awareness is in it so Skeletons and Zombies are made more dangerous in a variety of ways. Zombie invasions are possible because of this.
  • They also wrote a custom mod to allow GregTech machines to be used in MineTweaker.
  • It uses a fork of Nodal Mechanics that changes the recipes to use Forbidden Magic items and aspects that require you to go into the horrific Nether.
  • Random Things is in the pack and configured to make it pitch black at night.
  • Bloodmoons are also enabled and are terrifying due to an amalgamation of the previously mentioned mob additions and changes.
  • Oddly, this is the only GregTech modpack I've found that extensively makes use of HQM. It's got that going for it...

That's all I've found so far. This is by far the most concerted effort I've ever seen to make modded Minecraft miserable. I'll at least give it an A+ for effort due to the sheer amount of work that's gone into it.

:psyboom:

So how do you make the saw to make planks and sticks?

You need iron which you need a pick to get and you cant make a pick as there are no saws to make the sticks for the handle, Way to go greg....

Minecraft where you can't do anything

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

TheresaJayne posted:

So how do you make the saw to make planks and sticks?

You need iron which you need a pick to get and you cant make a pick as there are no saws to make the sticks for the handle, Way to go greg....

Minecraft where you can't do anything

I think you're supposed to use flint tools. The recipe to craft 3 gravel into 1 flint is enabled in IguanaTweaks and there's a quest in HQM for it. I'll check on it sometime next week when my client has finally loaded.

EDIT: I was wrong and missed the regular recipe for sticks since it was like 3 pages down in NEI for some reason. It just gives you two instead which is a normal GregTech nerf. Oops.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 1, 2016

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I can understand making things incredibly hard on yourself for the challenge, but I don't get nerfing carpenter's blocks since they're entirely cosmetic

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Heffer posted:

I can understand making things incredibly hard on yourself for the challenge, but I don't get nerfing carpenter's blocks since they're entirely cosmetic

Well, at least bookshelves still have the normal recipe. For now.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Heffer posted:

The philosophy behind Gregtech seems to be "make recipes more realistic, even (and especially if) it's more expensive that way"
It's not QUITE as bad as it seems, because ore veins are so huge in Gregtech now. Really the worst part about Gregtech 5 is the bronze age. It loving sucks. You need SO MUCH ORE to get past it and get functional machines.
The second worst part of Gregtech 5 is all the goddamn intermediary steps in recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

The philosophy behind Gregtech seems to be "make recipes more realistic, even (and especially if) it's more expensive that way"
It's not QUITE as bad as it seems, because ore veins are so huge in Gregtech now. Really the worst part about Gregtech 5 is the bronze age. It loving sucks. You need SO MUCH ORE to get past it and get functional machines.
The second worst part of Gregtech 5 is all the goddamn intermediary steps in recipes.

I remembered an additional thing I read about when I was playing Infitech 2. New Horizons comes with GT5 Unofficial and has a nerf where the solar boiler slowly calcifies over time and reduces its output the longer you leave it active. Because I guess that was a thing that needed to happen.