Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

We do have a UV light for looking for where he sprayed, but we haven't checked the outside, no. What would we even do about that if they are spraying around the outside of our house?

I assume a stray wouldn't be spraying a lot, but since it never gets cleaned up the smell sticks. Just clean it up to get rid of the smell and that might help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

It's probably been addressed several times in this thread, but I only checked the first few pages and the OP.

Any recommendations on a water bowl? I'm looking for something that's easy to clean, stainless steel or ceramic, and moves the water like a drinkwell.

Any recommendations? I currently have a drinkwell but it's several years old, plastic, and a pain in the rear end to clean.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

What the heck does this behavior mean: https://gfycat.com/SlowPresentFurseal

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Manslaughter posted:

is a cat; wontfix

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Manslaughter posted:

Your cat accidentally traded places with the mirror-cat and is now trying to return home.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Manslaughter posted:

My cat does this with every single mirror she sees. Equal parts cute and annoying.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Isaac has decided that despite their being two perfectly fine waterbowls 3 feet away from it, he prefers to drink from the toilet.

This morning he fell in

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Isaac has decided that despite their being two perfectly fine waterbowls 3 feet away from it, he prefers to drink from the toilet.

This morning he fell in

Does he like moving water?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Terrified of the sink and shower, so I dont know?

Hes been happy as a pig in poo poo with the waterbowls right up to this moment!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Ferremit posted:

This morning he fell in

This is how I got into the habit of closing the lid a few years ago.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
You should always close the lid before you flush anyway because microscopic poo poo and piss droplets can spray out up to 6 feet from a flushing toilet with the lid open. Hope you don't have your toothbrush nearby!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
One of our cats isn't eating as much as she should, and she's pretty skinny.

Two months ago we took her to the vet because she wasn't eating at all, and she was diagnosed with cystitis(?). When we got her home, we bought a couple of different bags of dry food, and some wet food. She only wanted the wet food and one of the dry foods.

We serve her the food pretty often, and she only eats a little each time. We have another cat who's fat and always hungry, so we have to take the food away, or else this cat eats everything. Sometimes it looks like the fat cat is threatening and pushing the other cat away from the food, so we've started serving it in another room with a closed door.

We're worried that she still doesn't seem to be eating enough, and it's annoying having to serve the food all the time. Any ideas here?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ferremit posted:

This morning he fell in

My cat loves drinking running water (playing with/watching it too). When I'm around she mostly ignores her water bowl and instead follows me to the bathroom or kitchen sink and drinks from the faucet when i turn it on. So yesterday she hopped up on the bathroom sink, and i turned it on for her, and she starts drinking like normal. I come back a minute later and what she is doing? Drinking out of the toilet....what the hell, cat.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

kaworu posted:

Hey guys - my beloved Jackie-Cat has another UTI right now - her second in like 2+ years. She went to the vet yesterday, but they couldn't get a urine sample from her. However, as she is peeing on any and every dark-colored fabric or flat object that is left on the floor, I have managed to obtain a urine sample very easily. It's horrifying though, her urine is so dark yellow its almost red >_< The vet knew this already though when I brought in her in yesterday, and all I can do for now is give her antibiotics and use this dermal spray for her dermatitis around her genital area (which they thankfully shaved the fur off of at the vet).

Poor Jackie looks like she's in pain though :( I can tell. Especially at the vet when they were pressing around her abdomen and pressing on her bladder and she was clearly uncomfortable and shot me a *really* angry and hurt glare like "HOW CAN YOU LET HER DO THIS TO ME?!".

But she is getting a little better now, even though it's only been two days. Pilling her ranges from easy on a good day to downright traumatic and horrible. Jackie cannot be tricked into eating a pill in any way, so I basically have to do it the old fashioned way. And it's hard when you've got an extremely resistant cat who is kicking and fighting and trying to run away and hide.

So to pill her, I basically get her between my legs/knees when I am crouching/sitting so I have her locked down and have effectively taken her front and back paws our of the occasion, but she still squirms and fights like crazy. So I literally have to hold her entire head with one hand to keep it steady, while I pry open her jaws with the other hand as gently as I can even though she is resisting, and place the pill or half-pill in her mouth, then forcibly hold her mouth shut as I continue to hold her head up until she swallows.

It is really and truly a godawful procedure and I feel like this absolutely horrifically evil monster throughout the entire ordeal. And she really fights - it is *not* easy and it does *not* make me feel good.. It wasn't as bad today though, I got them in pretty quickly and it wasn't such an ordeal. So that's good..

This is fairly universal though, right? I mean... I don't know how else to pill a cat. I am envious of those people who can just use pill pockets and have them work.

I know this is a bit old, but:

My cat had to go on steroids and I was having a really hard time pilling him twice daily. I'm pregnant and full of hormones and felt like I was an evil monster every single time. In the past he found pills every single time I tried sneaking them into food.

My husband made me try treats more, even though they never worked, and after a few iterations we got a solution:

Sink the pill into a soft treat- doesn't matter what kind, but as small as can possibly accommodate the pill. Put some spray-cheese on a paper towel and pick up a small amount on your forefinger. Apply a very thin film of cheese so that the pill is just covered, but not so much that the treat is hard to pick up all at once.

Bam. The unpillable cat is now taking meds twice a day like a champ!

If that doesn't work, keep a syringe of water with you while you restrain the cat, then shoot ~1ml of water into the mouth after the pill to encourage the cat to swallow more reliably.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Flying Leatherman posted:

I'm looking at getting a second cat.

My wife and I found a lovely, affectionate shelter cat whose blurb claims that she's very affectionate and loves multiple-cat households, but decided to hold off on an immediate adoption until we got a Feliway diffuser and got the house set up to accommodate a second cat. We also have some concerns.

- Our current cat (also a shelter cat) has never been in a multiple-cat household, so we're not sure how the cats will get along. I've got a socialization plan set up based on things I've read in this thread, but if things don't work out after a couple weeks, do shelters usually take cats back? Is this something that I should even be worrying about right now?

- Where should we put the Feliway? Should it be on the "new cat" floor or the "existing cat" floor? Our resident fuzzball doesn't go upstairs very often (read: once a month or so).

- We have a litter box upstairs and a litter box downstairs. Should we get second upstairs and downstairs litter boxes or are cats typically pretty okay with just one per floor?

I can't think of anything else that I really, really wanted to ask about, but I wanted to get those out of the way immediately. Does anyone have any advice for these?

So, um.

Second cat arrived at house. Existing cat started growling, arching, hissing, etc. Second cat curled up and fell asleep in a cat bed. :\

What does this mean? Like, how is it possible for one cat to be this uncomfortable and the other to be really, really chill? Is this just another example of ? Feliway's probably arriving tomorrow anyway, so things might be okay after all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Basically yeah, they're just cats. Keep em separate but let them see/smell each other for a few days etc .

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dopaMEAN posted:

I know this is a bit old, but:

My cat had to go on steroids and I was having a really hard time pilling him twice daily. I'm pregnant and full of hormones and felt like I was an evil monster every single time. In the past he found pills every single time I tried sneaking them into food.

My husband made me try treats more, even though they never worked, and after a few iterations we got a solution:

Sink the pill into a soft treat- doesn't matter what kind, but as small as can possibly accommodate the pill. Put some spray-cheese on a paper towel and pick up a small amount on your forefinger. Apply a very thin film of cheese so that the pill is just covered, but not so much that the treat is hard to pick up all at once.

Bam. The unpillable cat is now taking meds twice a day like a champ!

If that doesn't work, keep a syringe of water with you while you restrain the cat, then shoot ~1ml of water into the mouth after the pill to encourage the cat to swallow more reliably.
We did this with my old kitty Amber, who had to take medication every day. The procedure was to embed it in some cottage cheese. At or near the appointed times, she would actually run to the kitchen and vocally demand her tablet.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

So, um.

Second cat arrived at house. Existing cat started growling, arching, hissing, etc. Second cat curled up and fell asleep in a cat bed. :\

What does this mean? Like, how is it possible for one cat to be this uncomfortable and the other to be really, really chill? Is this just another example of ? Feliway's probably arriving tomorrow anyway, so things might be okay after all.

First cat has a stranger in its territory, second cat has a sweet new bed.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

It's probably been addressed several times in this thread, but I only checked the first few pages and the OP.

Any recommendations on a water bowl? I'm looking for something that's easy to clean, stainless steel or ceramic, and moves the water like a drinkwell.

Any recommendations? I currently have a drinkwell but it's several years old, plastic, and a pain in the rear end to clean.

Anything?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

Anything?
There's a handful of ok looking ones on Amazon if you search for "pet fountain steel", but I haven't tried them myself

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's pretty cheap to stick a low flow aquarium filter in an existing steel or ceramic bowl for your own DIY pet fountain at a fraction of the cost. Well there's a bit of fiddling to set it up, but it's an option.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

So, um.

My guess is the new cat, having come straight from the shelter, is pretty used to smelling different/new cats all the time and isn't phased by it. Your other cat, however, is going into "oh poo poo another cat red alert" mode. Things should settle down soon if you stick to the plan.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Boz0r posted:

One of our cats isn't eating as much as she should, and she's pretty skinny.

Two months ago we took her to the vet because she wasn't eating at all, and she was diagnosed with cystitis(?). When we got her home, we bought a couple of different bags of dry food, and some wet food. She only wanted the wet food and one of the dry foods.

We serve her the food pretty often, and she only eats a little each time. We have another cat who's fat and always hungry, so we have to take the food away, or else this cat eats everything. Sometimes it looks like the fat cat is threatening and pushing the other cat away from the food, so we've started serving it in another room with a closed door.

We're worried that she still doesn't seem to be eating enough, and it's annoying having to serve the food all the time. Any ideas here?

Are you in the room with her when she eats? Two of our dummies seem to eat a lot more if I sit down with them and keep them company when they eat. Also, they like it when I put the food bowls on the bed and will eat more there. Does she have a favorite spot where she might feel more safe?

So, um.

This is great. Cats don't usually make instant best friends like dogs. The fact that the new cat was comfortable enough to sleep around the first cat and that the first cat didn't attack the sleeping new cat are both great signs.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've seen cats I've had when I was a kid be picky, but my current cats approach any can of wet food I give them as the best food they've ever eaten in their lives regardless of brand or flavour. I've given up on trying to figure out their food preferences and started just buying cans based on amusing myself with the dumbest food names possible. Shoutout to Merrick for making cowboy cookout, grammy's pot pie and turducken, among others.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

attackmole posted:

I've seen cats I've had when I was a kid be picky, but my current cats approach any can of wet food I give them as the best food they've ever eaten in their lives regardless of brand or flavour. I've given up on trying to figure out their food preferences and started just buying cans based on amusing myself with the dumbest food names possible. Shoutout to Merrick for making cowboy cookout, grammy's pot pie and turducken, among others.

My jerk cats won't eat poultry and they throw up beef. I'm pretty much relegated to seafood. They just walk up to chicken/turkey wet food and try and cover it up like poop.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

attackmole posted:

Mine often howl and dance for half an hour before feeding time, follow me to the kitchen while I get it ready, prance around like madcats while I bring it to them - then take two bites and walk away, leaving the rest to rot.

cats

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

- Age - 4 years
- Sex - male
- How long have you had your cat? -about 1 month
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? - neutered (as of mid january)
- What food do you use? - Blue Buffalo Wilderness wet food twice a day, and Blue Buffalo dry food left out.
- When was your last vet visit? - 4 days ago
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? - indoors
- How many pets in your household? - just this cat
- How many litter boxes do you have? - 1

Hello cat thread. I am having some trouble with mushy cat poops.

He's been having these soft poops the entire time that I've had him (which is about a month), and he always has a little drop of poo left on his butt when he's done. He'll eventually clean himself, but not before walking around and sitting down a few times. I'm wiping his butt after every poo because I don't want him to sit on the bed or carpet with his messy butt.

At the shelter and the first week of bringing him home, he was eating exclusively Taste of the Wild food. After about a week I started giving him Blue Buffalo wet food in the morning and at night, in addition to his Taste of the Wild that's just left out all day. A few days ago I started mixing in Blue Buffalo dry food into his Taste of the Wild, and he's still getting his wet food. His poops have been the same throughout.

He's been de-wormed at the shelter. I've taken him to the vet, they checked his stool sample and overall health- found nothing, and they are not concerned and say he is healthy and doing well. He is energetic, plays, cuddles, eats and drinks well, and uses his litter box regularly, and his coat is silky and smooth.

Any suggestions on what to do to get his poops to be harder and not leave a poopy mess on his butt? I don't want to wipe his cat butt every single day forever.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think some goons said adding pumpkin helped their cats poop issues?

Also, based on their unwillingness to release information as basic as carb/protein/fat breakdown by calorie I personally avoid Blue Buffalo.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
Anyone with an outdoor cat who lives near a road, knock it off. Right now. No more. Don't do the "only during the day" poo poo or "but she's been OK before".

Please just stop. Believe me.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Funosaurus posted:

mushy cat poops

Try a different food or add some fiber, either canned pumpkin or a pinch of the powder kind once a day (whatever sort of fiber citrucel is but not flavored). My cat had IBD and had soft poops but extra fiber cleared it right up. You may have to do this forever but his guts will thank you.

It's sad that most of my cat advice is about poop.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Grimshak posted:

Anyone with an outdoor cat who lives near a road, knock it off. Right now. No more. Don't do the "only during the day" poo poo or "but she's been OK before".

Please just stop. Believe me.

My apartment is next to a freeway (and plenty of feral cats) and I have a formerly indoor/outdoor cat. She used to spend entire days in the backyard, lounging in the sun/bushes and hunting mice/bugs, so it feels like it's a bad thing to keep her inside 24/7 (cat AIDS/angry raccoons/cars are infinitely worse of course), but she's been handling it fine. She is interested when I open the front door, so most days I'll open it for a while and she'll chill between it and the security door, smelling the smells and getting fresh air, and I think that satisfies her need to explore. But she'll still take the chance to go outside if she gets it. The other day i forgot to check if she was there when I opened the security door, she darted outside and I dive-tackled her to keep her from getting away. She hissed, but forgave me 10 seconds later and remains safe and fuzzy.

Other people in the building let their cats wander around outside, which is pretty dumb in this area. Come to think of it, one of the regular outdoor cats hasn't been around for a few months, hope he didn't get flattened.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rah! posted:

My apartment is next to a freeway (and plenty of feral cats) and I have a formerly indoor/outdoor cat. She used to spend entire days in the backyard, lounging in the sun/bushes and hunting mice/bugs, so it feels like it's a bad thing to keep her inside 24/7 (cat AIDS/angry raccoons/cars are infinitely worse of course), but she's been handling it fine. She is interested when I open the front door, so most days I'll open it for a while and she'll chill between it and the security door, smelling the smells and getting fresh air, and I think that satisfies her need to explore. But she'll still take the chance to go outside if she gets it. The other day i forgot to check if she was there when I opened the security door, she darted outside and I dive-tackled her to keep her from getting away. She hissed, but forgave me 10 seconds later and remains safe and fuzzy.

Other people in the building let their cats wander around outside, which is pretty dumb in this area. Come to think of it, one of the regular outdoor cats hasn't been around for a few months, hope he didn't get flattened.

Have you tried harness training her and taking her on walks? Could be a good way to give her safe and supervised outside time.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
My buddy is sick - he has a large hematoma in his left ear that has basically swelled shut. We were in the Vet on Friday, but his surgery isn't until Tuesday. I'm getting a little worried because it seems to be getting bigger and he's obviously in a lot of discomfort and/or pain.

The vet didn't make things seem too urgent, so I'm not THAT worried, but he's miserable. Is there anything I can do for him?

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

I have started taking my kitty on walks. She's gradually getting used to wearing the harness, is gradually understanding that the leash means we're actually connected, and isn't as scared of everything as she used to be. But she really doesn't like to move -- she'll dash sometimes, but then she sits down and just watches things. As a result, instead of her walking with me, I end up carrying her. This isn't a big issue, but I'd like her to get some exercise too. How do you train a cat to walk with you? She doesn't respond to gentle tugs or anything, and she doesn't really like kitty treats, so it's not like I can positively reward her for the few steps she does take.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah for my cat the leash and harness is more so they can go out and do their own thing safely- Freya doesn't really walk, she just likes to explore a bit, eat some catnip from my garden, swat at a few bugs, and roll in the grass. I've never gotten to the point where I could actually motivate my cats to walk like a dog, and they prefer to get their exercise from chasing laser pointers above walking anyway so I didn't bother.

Citrus Sky
Sep 30, 2012
Hello cat expert goons,

Have any of you had any experience training an adult cat to tolerate bathing? My husband's allergist insists that if we get a cat, we need to bathe kitty twice monthly. I've been longing for a cat for years, but the idea of bathing a cat is ... slightly terrifying. We looked at some great kitties at the shelter today, but I asked about bathing them and the staffer just gave me a blank look. I'd rather have an adult cat if possible.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Citrus Sky posted:

Hello cat expert goons,

Have any of you had any experience training an adult cat to tolerate bathing? My husband's allergist insists that if we get a cat, we need to bathe kitty twice monthly. I've been longing for a cat for years, but the idea of bathing a cat is ... slightly terrifying. We looked at some great kitties at the shelter today, but I asked about bathing them and the staffer just gave me a blank look. I'd rather have an adult cat if possible.

It is exceptionally rare for a cat to actually enjoy a bath. Most will tolerate it if you keep the water warm. They'll howl and try to jump out constantly, but a firm grip will keep them in place. Some will fight like tigers forever and bathing them will require long sleeves and leather gloves.

That's the way it is. Twice a month isn't too bad if your cat isn't a bad fighter. The odds are very high that it won't be easy, however.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

You can always take your cat somewhere that will bathe them for you. Some places even have automated pet spas to make it easy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VfSl0iGAus

alternatively, you can do non-water related cleaning methods like beating your cat like its an old carpet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiVyueMFyqU

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 28, 2016

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I use allerpet on my cats based on my allergist's recommendation and it works for me. It's easier than bathing them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Dudes, i'm watching a cat for a fair few months, it's my first cat with long hair and he came with a lot of knots on his belly and peenor area that i can't brush out. It's not my cat, but i feel like i should do something about it and the owner agreed also, but didn't have any input on what to do.

So i went to the vet like the OP says, and she says to "forget about it and that it doesn't matter". But i'm not totally convinced cause it's this gnarly hateful woman with a horrible reputation that nobody get's along with and out here in the wild where i live there's nobody else. She especially has it in for me cause i choose to keep semi-indoor cats (there's wild animals around that hunt them and a freeway within kitty adventure distance) and she feels they should be outdoors all the time.

Sooo before i start calling vets I've never spoken to before, i thought i should come here for input.