Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Two Hondas. So that's the world's largest manufacturer of two-wheeled vehicles that lets the engine crank with the killswitch off, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's a shame, if it had been a GSXR, then your username would have delivered in this situation.

Dick. :mad: Not all of us GSXR owners are squidbros.

But gently caress, we're definitely in the minority :negative:

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Many (most?) bikes will still crank with the kill switch off. Mine certainly does. It just disables the ignition system.

Are you sure the spark is good and strong? How did you test it? You can verify that it's strong enough by pouring some gasoline in a bucket, putting the spark plug down in there on its lead, and cranking the motor for a while. If it blows up, you're good to go.

Took one plug and started it with it grounded against the engine. Nice blue spark and a little flame out of the hole, I presume from the others

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

So last week I asked about my DRZ's trip meter appearing to be different than the odometer. This week, to see how crazy I was, I took a picture before and after my ride.

:psyduck:

Some quick googling shows that I can calibrate the trip meter until it matches the odometer, and that this isn't abnormal at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:psypop: I had no idea the trip meter could be calibrated on the drz and/or could ever measure distance differently than the odometer.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Set it to record furlongs :horse:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deeters posted:

Some quick googling shows that I can calibrate the trip meter until it matches the odometer, and that this isn't abnormal at all.

This seems like a very Suzuki thing to do.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Two Hondas. So that's the world's largest manufacturer of two-wheeled vehicles that lets the engine crank with the killswitch off, anyway.

Is this to help it flush something out of the engine without spark, or some other useful purpose? Or is it *Just Honda Things*?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I crank the engine over with the killswitch off for about ten seconds after changing the oil, aiming to get the oil pump primed before I actually fire it up.

Don't know if it actually helps but it doesn't seem to hurt.

If you do it with the throttle open, it's a good way to get a nice BANG out of the exhaust when you do turn it on, too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's actually a very nice reason to have that "feature". I never think about oil pressure after changes. For the bang, I am afraid that killswitching like that will blow up my exhaust.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Deeters posted:

So last week I asked about my DRZ's trip meter appearing to be different than the odometer. This week, to see how crazy I was, I took a picture before and after my ride.

:psyduck:

I was just reading through the manual for my WR250R and saw that you can switch modes on the dash to show something they called a distance compensated trip meter. It's a trip meter you can calibrate for use in rallys. You run a section and calibrate the meter to the distance that the rally map says it is to make the bike reading match the maps. Perhaps yours can be calibrated separate from the odometer for the same reason?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ChaosReaper posted:

How much wind is it just unsafe to ride in? I know it's probably a whatever l feel is safe answer but I had probably the worst riding experience of my 8 months experience yesterday in winds that were gusting to like 35. I ride a Ninja 650 and felt like I had to hard lean just to try and stay on a straight path and even then I was still getting blown all over the road. The Harley riders I was with basically thought it was funny and that I was just being a pussy since I'm still so mostly new. I've ridden in sort of high winds before but I usually keep it to cities or short rides during that time. Is it just an experience thing or will winds that high just be a problem for a bike like mine?

Harleys excel at riding in side-winds. The massive wheels and chassis are a great advantage for their stability, so yeah it's gonna be funny to watch you get blown around. I've come across some high plains thunderstorms and the Columbia gorge with heavy gusts on a few different bikes (Vulcan, Vstar, Ulysses). It's kind of a pain but it didn't seem too unsafe. Keep loose, keep low, don't death grip the controls, accept the notion that it's gonna blow you around. The faster you're going, the stabler you are...

Worst wind I rode through was near Moorcroft, WY on I90 with wind blowing every direction. Leaned into a gust from the right and then a gust from the left pushed me right over into the other lane. Good thing I try not to ride beside traffic.

Sagebrush posted:

I crank the engine over with the killswitch off for about ten seconds after changing the oil, aiming to get the oil pump primed before I actually fire it up.

Don't know if it actually helps but it doesn't seem to hurt.

If you do it with the throttle open, it's a good way to get a nice BANG out of the exhaust when you do turn it on, too.

My wife's Magna manual said to do it that way. Sometimes think about doing that with my Ulysses after it's been sitting for a while and all the oil is at the bottom of the crankcase but I'd have to pull a EFI fuse and the manual doesn't specify doing that so I figure it's ok.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 29, 2016

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Day Man posted:

I was just reading through the manual for my WR250R and saw that you can switch modes on the dash to show something they called a distance compensated trip meter. It's a trip meter you can calibrate for use in rallys. You run a section and calibrate the meter to the distance that the rally map says it is to make the bike reading match the maps. Perhaps yours can be calibrated separate from the odometer for the same reason?

Well look at this guy, reading the manuals, finding cool stuff. I don't have a manual, so if you find any other cool stuff feel free to chime in in ping me. That's a pretty neat feature. So does this mean that rally maps are usually that inaccurate?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Pretty sure that's most bikes, for that matter, which is why going along flicking killswitches off is such an effective an funny thing to do at any big biker meet.

Personally, my last two Superior Italian Motorcycles have had the starter integrated with the killswitch (pull out to kill, press in to start on Aprilia, kinda awesome missile-switch- kinda thing on Ducati). Presumably this is because too many people just assumed their bikes electronics had died and sold them to buy a Honda.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That is an awesome feature and would have saved me more stressed mornings than I'd like to admit (caused by flipping the killswitch the night before and then forgetting it even exists come morning. Cue pulling the seat off to check fuses while swearing under my breath for five minutes before even thinking to check all the buttons :downsgun:)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Dog Case posted:

Don't do this on parts that aren't chromed!

How do I actually know if something is chromed or just shiny metal (yes I am a moron).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Can you see yourself in it? Yes: chrome.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is there a guideline year age at which tyres ought to be replaced regardless of mileage? Or is it just a case of, if I can't see any signs of dryness or fatigue then they're fine until the tread goes?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think I'm the only person in the world who shuts off the killswitch, ignition and fuel petcock every time I stop the bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
People who don't shut off the fuel valve hurt my brain. Vacuum petcocks scare me.

Tires: I try to replace them every 3 years, but I don't usually make it that long before I wear them out or ruin them on something sharp.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I do the petcock because if I don't the garage stinks of petrol. :justcarburettorthings: :arghfist::saddowns:

clutchpuck posted:

People who don't shut off the fuel valve hurt my brain. Vacuum petcocks scare me.

Elaborate?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 29, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Vacuum petcocks fail over time, especially on older bikes. The diaphragms and fiddly bits inside break down, and they eventually turn into an always on petcock, since they don't have an off setting.

Both a failing vacuum petcock or a non-vacuum petcock that gets left on can lead to flooded cylinders, depending on the condition of your float valves and the amount of fuel in the tank.

Attempting to start on hydrolocked cylinders can lead to a grenaded starter gear inside your crankcase.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Vacuum petcocks are fine. Except when they're really old and they stop working. And then you never know what they're doing behind your back. You never know how much time you have. It might be the end of the road for you. You never know.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Vacuum petcocks fail over time, especially on older bikes. The diaphragms and fiddly bits inside break down, and they eventually turn into an always on petcock, since they don't have an off setting.

Both a failing vacuum petcock or a non-vacuum petcock that gets left on can lead to flooded cylinders, depending on the condition of your float valves and the amount of fuel in the tank.

Attempting to start on flooded cylinders can lead to a grenaded starter gear inside your crankcase.

Common problem on my first bike is it just flowing through the carb, down the intake, into the cyls, and diluting the oil.

"why does it smell like gas? why is the oil so overfilled?"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Attempting to start on hydrolocked cylinders can lead to a grenaded starter gear inside your crankcase.

Attempting to kick start a hydrolocked motor will similarly grenade your ankle.

Which is why manual petcocks stuck around about as long as kickstarters.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Personally, my last two Superior Italian Motorcycles have had the starter integrated with the killswitch (pull out to kill, press in to start on Aprilia, kinda awesome missile-switch- kinda thing on Ducati). Presumably this is because too many people just assumed their bikes electronics had died and sold them to buy a Honda.

My FZ-07 has that as well. Weirds people out when they try to start the bike.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

Tires: I try to replace them every 3 years, but I don't usually make it that long before I wear them out or ruin them on something sharp.

I wish my tires lasted half that long.

Also my vacuum petcock has no 'off'. I'd probably be scared of a buell one too :smug:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Coydog posted:

Well look at this guy, reading the manuals, finding cool stuff. I don't have a manual, so if you find any other cool stuff feel free to chime in in ping me. That's a pretty neat feature. So does this mean that rally maps are usually that inaccurate?

Do you have a WR? If so, you get to the "measurement mode" by holding two of the buttons down, I think. I don't have the manual with me at the moment, but if you care, pm me and I'll look it up for you. I don't know how common it is for the maps to be inaccurate, I was just curious when I saw something called a "distance compensated trip meter" and wanted to know what it was for. The manual explained about the rallys. In addition to the trip meter difference, measurement mode also has a stopwatch that you can start with some button presses, or you can set it to start automatically when the bike starts moving.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Day Man - Yeah! I have the WRX, and I'll try that out tomorrow. Thank you for explaining that. Seems pretty cool. I need to fix the clock anyway. The WRX is the first vehicle I've ever owned that I actually want a working clock on. I think it's a combination of that awesome display being forgotten until I want info from it, and the WRX being so fun I lose track of time.

Sagebrush posted:

I think I'm the only person in the world who shuts off the killswitch, ignition and fuel petcock every time I stop the bike.

Thank god, I thought I was starting to think I was the only one. So has nobody on CA taken the MSF BRC, or are you all willfully not hitting the killswitch? Why would you ignore the killswitch? It's so handy.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Coydog posted:

Thank god, I thought I was starting to think I was the only one. So has nobody on CA taken the MSF BRC, or are you all willfully not hitting the killswitch? Why would you ignore the killswitch? It's so handy.

You know what's even handier? Turning off your bike and preparing for dismount in one graceful movement of the leg as you kick the stand forward, letting the kickstand switch do the work for you. :smugdog:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marxalot posted:

Also my vacuum petcock has no 'off'.

:terror:

My old old, old Yamaha (the XS) had two vacuum petcocks with no "off".

"Why does it smell like gas so much?"

"Why is the oil always so high?"

Got some XS650 manual widgets.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Attempting to kick start a hydrolocked motor will similarly grenade your ankle.

Which is why manual petcocks stuck around about as long as kickstarters.

Who the gently caress just hops on their bike and starts slamming away at the kickstarter? That seems like a terrible idea.

Also manual petcocks are for chumps. SV650 has a vacuum operated petcock/fuel distributor and failures on those are quite rare.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

SV650 has a vacuum operated petcock/fuel distributor and failures on those are quite rare.
They're not that old though to be fair. Anything with rubber in it is gonna get lovely over 35 years, which is roughly the time when vacuum petcocks started being used. Only the old ones get lovely. Of course you can just rebuild/replace them.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Anyone used an Oxford Stormex cover for long term outside storage?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Z3n posted:

Who the gently caress just hops on their bike and starts slamming away at the kickstarter? That seems like a terrible idea.

Also manual petcocks are for chumps. SV650 has a vacuum operated petcock/fuel distributor and failures on those are quite rare.

Probably the same people that don't know to turn off their petcocks.
You know the type.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They're not that old though to be fair. Anything with rubber in it is gonna get lovely over 35 years, which is roughly the time when vacuum petcocks started being used. Only the old ones get lovely. Of course you can just rebuild/replace them.

Seems like a bizarre thing to fixate on to me. Manual petcocks are kind of good but mostly poo poo. Vacuum ones do everything manual ones do whilst being a lot less poo poo because you don't have to gently caress with them.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You know the type.

People with an SR400?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Vacuum ones do everything manual ones do whilst being a lot less poo poo because you don't have to gently caress with them.

Vacuum petcocks with no "off" make it less easy to empty the float bowls for storage. I always run the carb dry when I put the bike away because ethanol sucks.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you're emptying the carbs just by running the engine, you're not really emptying the carbs. There's still ethanol in there that could gel up. Just use fuel stabilizer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Seems like a bizarre thing to fixate on to me. Manual petcocks are kind of good but mostly poo poo. Vacuum ones do everything manual ones do whilst being a lot less poo poo because you don't have to gently caress with them.

Counterpoint: the total amount of "loving with" that I have to do with my manual petcock (:iamafag:) is about 3 seconds at the beginning and end of each ride, and rarely another 5 seconds as I'm riding down the highway. And it's just...a valve. There's nothing to break in it. Replace the rubber gasket once every twenty years and forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Vacuum petcocks with no "off" make it less easy to empty the float bowls for storage. I always run the carb dry when I put the bike away because ethanol sucks.

That's what the carb drain screws are for.

Sagebrush posted:

And it's just...a valve. There's nothing to break in it. Replace the rubber gasket once every twenty years and forget about it.

This is what I mean and the exact same applies to vacuum ones. Like, on the list of catastrophic poo poo I'd worry about on an older bike that's way, way down the order.