Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So just curious, is the latest expansion like the last one, where winter and stuff is now part of the main game and the expansion adds assets that go along with it, or is winter expansion only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jadebullet posted:

So just curious, is the latest expansion like the last one, where winter and stuff is now part of the main game and the expansion adds assets that go along with it, or is winter expansion only?

Weather (rain etc) is free into the base game, full perman-snowy winter maps and mechanics are expansion only.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Image dump

beachfront properties

Waterfront. It took me SO LONG to build that stupid walkway.

I intentionally made a polluted industrial area.

There is a beach behind the industrial area, true to life.

Trailer park!

This is probably my favorite part. Lots of trains and train yards. Especially building the train line in the middle of the highway. :swoon:

Sim City tribute

Theres a huge mountain and I put a residential area and airport on top of it (in background in second picture).

map, double (triple?) click for big size

I don't like grid cities so i made this one with roads that follow the curves of the landscape and highways (except industry areas). I'm prob going to get rid of the farms to make the city bigger, only at 90K right now.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Guys, stop reminding me of how much I love this game. I have two part time jobs and a home business and I don't have time for this. Close this thread at once. Thanks in advance.

edit: Wait, quick, someone tell me that most assets still don't work on the Mac version so I quit out of disgust again :ohdear:

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 27, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Thin Privilege posted:

Image dump

beachfront properties

Waterfront. It took me SO LONG to build that stupid walkway.

I intentionally made a polluted industrial area.

There is a beach behind the industrial area, true to life.

Trailer park!

This is probably my favorite part. Lots of trains and train yards. Especially building the train line in the middle of the highway. :swoon:

Sim City tribute

Theres a huge mountain and I put a residential area and airport on top of it (in background in second picture).

map, double (triple?) click for big size

I don't like grid cities so i made this one with roads that follow the curves of the landscape and highways (except industry areas). I'm prob going to get rid of the farms to make the city bigger, only at 90K right now.

This is some next level poo poo right here, god drat :staredog:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like your rail yard!!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Well crap, apparently no mods or assets work now. They're in my content manager under "Steam Workshop" but don't show up under their respective tabs so I can't enable them. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, too. Anyone on OSX got any advice?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Highway train is off the hook

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pile of Kittens posted:

Well crap, apparently no mods or assets work now. They're in my content manager under "Steam Workshop" but don't show up under their respective tabs so I can't enable them. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, too. Anyone on OSX got any advice?
Mods and assets work fine for me, except something is flaking out the graphics on four-lane roads if I zoom in too far.

By any chance, did you at one point do that startup option thing with -noWorkshop or whatever the string is? (I'm not even sure that's possible in OSX)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Thin Privilege posted:

Trailer park!

I take it that this is a mod from the Workshop? Is it a park or is it actually residential?

Thin Privilege posted:

Tell me more about this. Are all the spur lines and dead ends cosmetic, or do the trains use them for some reason? They look awesome, but I can't imagine trains doing anything with them (unless it's from a mod).

Also, what map is that? It's gorgeous.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, what map is that? It's gorgeous.

I'm pretty sure that it's MrMiyagi's New Caledonia.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495143057

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That rail scene looks pretty good, but there's some seriously tight and janky curves and angles there. Some smoothing out and sharp junction mod action would make it look even better.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I take it that this is a mod from the Workshop? Is it a park or is it actually residential?
I would guess it's a district style (and corresponding asset collection) and they're level 1 low density residences. Probably this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=471183698

quote:

Tell me more about this. Are all the spur lines and dead ends cosmetic, or do the trains use them for some reason? They look awesome, but I can't imagine trains doing anything with them (unless it's from a mod).
Cosmetic, unfortunately. Train stations only use one track.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That's what I figured. Still looks great, though.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks for the positive comments :)

Yep that's the one.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I would guess it's a district style (and corresponding asset collection) and they're level 1 low density residences. Probably this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=471183698

Yes to this also. You can make an all-trailer park city!

Baronjutter posted:

That rail scene looks pretty good, but there's some seriously tight and janky curves and angles there. Some smoothing out and sharp junction mod action would make it look even better.

That's what I used to make it. It's really wonky with train lines because if the angle/curve is too sharp it just creates a dirt patch with no rails on it. I'll probably play around with it some more though, I think the fact that the area is so small is affecting it too.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Up to a population of 58k! :toot:

And instead of taking a bunch more screenshots, I installed movie maker and tried my hand at video editing for the first time in years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVdO5CQCRvE

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Holy gently caress dude, this is amazing, what an incredible job on the theme and style of your city!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Mods and assets work fine for me, except something is flaking out the graphics on four-lane roads if I zoom in too far.

By any chance, did you at one point do that startup option thing with -noWorkshop or whatever the string is? (I'm not even sure that's possible in OSX)

It is possible, and no it is not set in such a way.

edit: Crisis averted, apparently I needed to restart Steam. Hooray. RIP my productivity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ofaloaf posted:

And instead of taking a bunch more screenshots, I installed movie maker and tried my hand at video editing for the first time in years:

This is a great looking city. How much did you have to do to turn it into the 50s?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

This is a great looking city. How much did you have to do to turn it into the 50s?
  1. An absolute shitton of assets were downloaded. I've been trying to compile a collection and I think it's up to 600+, not including all the little dependencies so many of them need. Major sources included most of the Berlin tenement buildings, some Americana, the "1900" buildings, UK Bungalows, DK's Suburbia, USA and an assortment of higher-end British terraces, what few growable early 20th century skyscrapers are on the Workshop, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.
  2. Likewise there's a bajillion vehicles downloaded there.
  3. Using the building themes mod, nearly all the vanilla buildings assets have been disabled, except for some of the European high-density blocks because there aren't that many 1x1 office buildings and such on the workshop.
  4. Likewise, nearly all the vanilla vehicles have been disabled using Advanced Vehicle Options. I'm still using the vanilla garbage truck though, 'cos there's no good old-fashioned version of it on the Workshop last I saw, and the firetruck I'm using is actually a Scania 113H because again, there's no good old-fashioned firetruck on the Workshop yet.
  5. For color correction, the Rocketpants Tobacco LUT was used.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So after spending some time away, I have come back to the game and started a new city. I have a problem though. For some reason all but 3 of my info view buttons are greyed out and disabled. Does anyone know how to fix this?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
They unlock as you reach milestones. There is a mod to unlock all of them, I can't find it on mobile though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

necrotic posted:

They unlock as you reach milestones. There is a mod to unlock all of them, I can't find it on mobile though.

That mod comes with the game. Just find the mod on the workshop that allows you to turn it on and still get achievements if you want your shiny Steam pop-ups.

You can also find mods to unlock all unlockable buildings to save your sanity.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Alkydere posted:

That mod comes with the game. Just find the mod on the workshop that allows you to turn it on and still get achievements if you want your shiny Steam pop-ups.

You can also find mods to unlock all unlockable buildings to save your sanity.

No, not the buildings. The overlays. There's a workshop mod to enable those but not unlock the buildings early.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh... crap. Here I was deleting mods like crazy because I thought it was a mod that was disabling it. Oh well, I purged a bunch of stuff that I didn't think was useful anyway.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Ofaloaf posted:

I love it. What trains and buses you were using? Can't find it in the collections you linked.

Technical question: when I play, my city has a permanent yellow haze/yellow color, even when it's not in the industrial area. Is that normal, or is it something like my graphics card? Will a color corrector fix it and make it pretty? Also, do color correctors slow down the game?

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Thin Privilege posted:

I love it. What trains and buses you were using? Can't find it in the collections you linked.

Technical question: when I play, my city has a permanent yellow haze/yellow color, even when it's not in the industrial area. Is that normal, or is it something like my graphics card? Will a color corrector fix it and make it pretty? Also, do color correctors slow down the game?

Color correctors are just filters overlaid on top of the graphical output; they're pretty lean.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Thin Privilege posted:

Trains:
  • VSM Railway Museum Train (the 'replace last car with engine' option in Advanced Vehicle Options works well with this one, since the locomotive's a tank engine)
  • Br 52 + Umbauwagens (look up 'Br 52' in the Workshop and you'll find several variations that use the same locomotive for both passenger and freight service)
  • Tk3 "The Little Jumbo (there is also a freight variant)
  • M62 + Boxcar (there is also a passenger variant)
There's surprisingly few vintage North American trains on offer. The only thing I can recall are a couple F7 diesel-electrics.

Trams: I'm not actually using any proper road buses, it's all trams and trains.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That old school TTC tram is a fantastic model

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I forgot! Even though the happy little burg isn't using any buses, the ZiS-155 is the one I prefer when there are buses in use:

It's not American or Western European, but goddamn it looks nice.

e: Probably has a tri count up the wazoo, though.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Right. No dinky roundabouts around to ruin the city entrance this time.

I have a highway addiction, send help

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Friction posted:

Right. No dinky roundabouts around to ruin the city entrance this time.

Phwoaaar nice geometry there!

I'm working on an imitation-Uptown Houston officetower.

Blockbuster!

When this one's done I'll probably re-upload all my assets with RICO functionality, then you can fill out all your office needs.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Friction posted:

No. The only way out is through. You need more highways! :colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

Phwoaaar nice geometry there!

I'm working on an imitation-Uptown Houston officetower.

Blockbuster!

When this one's done I'll probably re-upload all my assets with RICO functionality, then you can fill out all your office needs.

I don't know anything about RICO, but if you have it does it just apply the standard zonable rules to plops? So if you're using something like realistic pop consumption mod, it will use the same formula and give your huuuge offices like 900 jobs due to their extreme girth?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know anything about RICO, but if you have it does it just apply the standard zonable rules to plops? So if you're using something like realistic pop consumption mod, it will use the same formula and give your huuuge offices like 900 jobs due to their extreme girth?

I don't think so, I have to specify the exact amount of jobs in a separate .xml for RICO. You can do this yourself btw, just save workshop assets locally, put them in a subfolder within 'Assets', and add an RICO .xml by following the guide. No more empty downtowns!

Will ask the mod maker about it though since I was wondering how this would work myself.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
What's the best way to get american-looking roads right now? Any mod recommendations?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Vahakyla posted:

What's the best way to get american-looking roads right now? Any mod recommendations?

I was gonna dl this one but haven't yet, at parent's house and Internet is out. Looks like he updated for snowfall.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418637762

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 28, 2016

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Here's a recently released mod allowing for elevated bus and tram stops:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634913093

Vahakyla posted:

Thin Privilege posted:

I was gonna dl this one but haven't yet, at parent's house and Internet is out. Looks like he updated for snowfall.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=418637762

There's also a guy working on an American texture and prop set for the Roads United mod. It's still an unreleased WIP, but it should be the go to option once he's done.

http://imgur.com/gallery/EjAhW

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Here's a recently released mod allowing for elevated bus and tram stops:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634913093

Thanks, I'm gonna use these. I wish so much that I could make a metro system that goes underground, street level, and above ground. This might help me make that with trams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

After the botched save file of my previous city I started again. It seems using cloud saves is preventing the weird problem I was having earlier. Anyway, I like to bodge separate grid areas together like incompatible lego bricks because I am boring.

I really need to finish the rail yard but plopping individual rail cars is a tiresome exercise. :(