Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

blastron posted:

Yes, but what is its alignment?

Awful goontral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

sebmojo posted:

this thread can and has been every bit as retardedly autistic as the gitp baseline

This man is a liar.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

This thread peaks at GitP's baseline.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

He's a sword wizard. A swizord. Swozard?

Or basically an Earthdawn-swordmaster, mixed with a bit of warrior. A swordwarrior.

(Because I didn't know about weapons of legacy, I just saw that description of releasing an ancient weapon's true power and it reminded me of Earthdawn. All magic weapons in Earthdawn work like that, minus the drawbacks. In Earthdawn, basically everyone is a caster.)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Colonel Cool posted:

I was gonna say, I've yet to see "shipping," over-elaborate attempts to generate character sheets for the entire cast, or railing against "SJWs" here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

Yeah.

Some parts of GITP are basically ok, though not the oots bits.

it's also the host for silverclawshifts astonishing 3.5 campaign AAR.

I think my peak GITP experience was someone having a full-on autistic shitfit over how V's power level was higher than Xykon's and so she should have beaten him. It went on for dozens of pages.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I think my peak GITP experience was someone having a full-on autistic shitfit over how V's power level was higher than Xykon's and so she should have beaten him. It went on for dozens of pages.

I remember when I was reading that section at the time that I couldn't believe how stupid V was being for the sake of ego, it's always good to be reminded how realistic that really is.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Wanderer posted:

I was gonna say, I've yet to see "shipping," over-elaborate attempts to generate character sheets for the entire cast, or railing against "SJWs" here.

Well, there's no need for much shipping when the comic makes it so obvious that Elan is going to end up with V. I mean come on, the subtext is right there. :colbert:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

sebmojo posted:

Yeah.

Some parts of GITP are basically ok, though not the oots bits.

it's also the host for silverclawshifts astonishing 3.5 campaign AAR.

Wait you mean he tried to argue that even after Xykon goes on a long-rear end rant about why V lost?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AnoHito posted:

Wait you mean he tried to argue that even after Xykon goes on a long-rear end rant about why V lost?

I don't remember, it probably happened between strips.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AnoHito posted:

It's almost like the V made bad choices because s/he is kind of an idiot, especially then.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He was outraged that Rich had allowed a more powerful character to lose, iirc.

It was p pure strain crazy, I'll see if I can find it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Knowing GitP, probably.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Speaking of the forums, my least favorite part of the comic is probably the strips that basically directly address whatever nits at which the forum happens to pick. Most recently being the strip where Durkula explained that he could totally spider climb onto the ceiling and had consciously decided to fight Roy anyway.

I understand that they make fans happy(er) and save Rich some headache, but they still jar.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
For a comic that started off as a string of jokes about the mechanics of 3.5, it makes sense that he would still be concerned about keeping things very consistent within some set of rules. Ergo, he is damned to a career of putting something in a strip that is dramatically effective, reading his forums and finding out that there are REASONS why that wouldn't be allowed in the apparent rules, pounding on his desk and yelling, "God dammit," and resolving to explain why that totally would work at some point in the future.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Wanderer posted:

We totally got someone butthurt about how Rich is pandering to :siren:the LGBT Tumblrites:siren: by having some characters be something other than heterosexual.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Whybird posted:

We totally got someone butthurt about how Rich is pandering to :siren:the LGBT Tumblrites:siren: by having some characters be something other than heterosexual.

Well, there's this wonderful tweet:

https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/526723527236648960

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, show of hands: Who here, on seeing the first panel where we see Vaarsuvius' partner and their adopted children referring to them as Parent and Other Parent, who here did not conclude that V is a male elf married to another male elf? Did anyone here have any first impression different from that? I know you can look back after the fact and say that technically technically technically they could be non-binary or masculine females which is getting away from my point altogether, but did anyone that's been reading this comic and now finds themselves reading this post look at those two together in panel and try to discern which one was the male husband and which one was the female wife?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I always saw Vaarsuvius' partner as part of the running thing with V. that they're ambiguously gendered. They could be a gay couple, a lesbian couple, a straight couple where V. is the man, a straight couple where V. is the woman, and which one it is doesn't actually matter in the slightest.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just assumed it was a continuation of the indeterminate gender joke.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, pretty much; by that point the fact that elves are of indeterminate gender was so well established that I just rolled with it. At most I thought "okay so it's not just Vaarsuvius".

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

That strip had the "dialogue translated from elvish for the reader's benefit" thing going on, so I took "Parent" and "Other Parent" as an indication that elves just don't give a poo poo what gender someone is, to the point that their language doesn't even have gender-specific words for parents that would translate to mother or father. That was the best that the hypothetical translator could do.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I should clarify what I was getting at. Even though it's not spelled out in the text and even though the author won't ruin an ongoing joke by spelling it out to anyone on twitter, the forum, etc., we had every visual indication that a gay married couple was in the strip years ago, and for someone to be going off about a lesbian character now is just dense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

V and zher partner have what seem to be their bioligical children, so I assume they are a hetero couple. On the other hand, I know nothing of elf biology.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

V and zher partner have what seem to be their bioligical children, so I assume they are a hetero couple. On the other hand, I know nothing of elf biology.

Pretty sure their kids were confirmed to be adopted.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Always took V to be male based solely on "us girls and the elf" from one of the early strips and thus his "partner" to be female. Them being gay never crossed my mind before now but would be a good punchline to the running gag about genderless elves.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wulfolme posted:

Ok, show of hands: Who here, on seeing the first panel where we see Vaarsuvius' partner and their adopted children referring to them as Parent and Other Parent, who here did not conclude that V is a male elf married to another male elf? Did anyone here have any first impression different from that? I know you can look back after the fact and say that technically technically technically they could be non-binary or masculine females which is getting away from my point altogether, but did anyone that's been reading this comic and now finds themselves reading this post look at those two together in panel and try to discern which one was the male husband and which one was the female wife?

I didn't try to discern their genders at all, because it was very clear you weren't supposed to.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Wulfolme posted:

Definitely thought V and his partner were gay married elf guys. Of course a species that lives hundreds of years is going to be ahead of the curve on civil rights. Besides, Burlew has a distinctive way of drawing males vs females and he draws V as male whether "lol elves are androgynous" or not. Also he straight out said that all of the original OOTS except Haley were men.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Network Pesci posted:

Of course a species that lives hundreds of years is going to be ahead of the curve on civil rights.

Yeah, when I think about what's holding back the progress of equal rights, I think it's that we don't have enough people old enough that they grew up with the racial and sexual mores of 1616.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Network Pesci posted:

Besides, Burlew has a distinctive way of drawing males vs females and he draws V as male whether "lol elves are androgynous" or not.

Thank you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Even elves with an explicitly stated gender are drawn androgynously in the strip (except Lirien). I'm not sure why you think you can prove V's gender using subtle art hints or inferring from Burlew's statements when both the text of the comic and his posts make it abundantly clear that V and Inky are ambiguously gendered. Do you think Rich is dropping subtle hints that when we finally see the Monster in the Dark, it'll be alongside an equally mind blowing reveal that Vaarsuvius has a penis?

Endless Mike posted:

Nope, V refers to the kids as "my adopted progeny."

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 29, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Who is Chris?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

V is actually drawn at a midpoint between the male and female style, for this exact reason. It's weird that people care so much though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kajeesus posted:

Nope, V refers to the kids as "my adopted progeny."

I guess I missed that!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sebmojo posted:

this thread can and has been every bit as retardedly autistic as the gitp baseline
Not an empty quote.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wulfolme posted:

I thought V's partner was a woman and V was ambiguous (I tend to call her a she via a mental coin flip).

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rygar201 posted:

V is actually drawn at a midpoint between the male and female style, for this exact reason. It's weird that people care so much though.

V was originally drawn in a robe that hid all curves, making him less "midpoint" and more "not applicable." The thing people are saying, that some of you seem to miss, is that its thought that V was originally created as male, and the "we're not going to say one way or another" thing came later, not that he is currently being depicted as male just with Rich being coy and dropping hints.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Cliff Racer posted:

V was originally drawn in a robe that hid all curves, making him less "midpoint" and more "not applicable." The thing people are saying, that some of you seem to miss, is that its thought that V was originally created as male, and the "we're not going to say one way or another" thing came later, not that he is currently being depicted as male just with Rich being coy and dropping hints.

Yes, this was what I was about to say. V started off male, then apparently enough people on the forums were confused that Rich decided to just run with it and never give a clear answer, and we got one of the better running jokes. I tend to think of/refer to V as a he just for ease of referring to him, but the actual answer is there is no actual answer. V is a fictional character who's ambiguous because the author says so, and the point is it doesn't matter. I never understood all these people on the GiTP board trying to 'figure it out', Rich has made V's official status pretty clear for years now, it's not like if you look really hard at the panels you'll find a secret penis or whatever.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 29, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like how the different characters all have their own guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Didn't the coloring book have a page about V that asks kids, "Do you think V is a man or a woman? Why do you think that? Ask your parents if they think V is a man or a woman, then ask them why they think that"?