Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Houle posted:

I find this really strange, like, I get it is all about a perception and accountability thing but getting drunk on the weekend is really just something young people have been doing since alcohol have gotten cheaper. So long as they are not photographing themselves doing something illegal it shouldn't really bar someone from entry job all it does is encourage people to make fake social media accounts for professional settings. Like, the only reason why this is a thing now is that it's a new technology now. People have been documenting their wacky activities and sexual exploits since the printed word.

And this is from someone who doesn't do any of that poo poo, who holds a job where if I had done it I would be sacked pretty quickly, and drink in moderation.

sorry but if a cursory search shows hundreds of pictures of you getting bombed in public and you have visible tattoos then old white people are not going to call you back for a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
if u don't understand that maybe when someone googles u there shouldn't be 100 results of u getting hosed up and screaming about the patriarchy...

... U might be a millenial

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it becomes a test in itself, never mind if it's for a good reason or not:

axiom: having easily-found pictures of yourself getting smashed is bad. has the candidate failed to hide these y/n? if y, do you really want to trust the candidate with other tasks? if n, they're either really boring or at least smart enough to hide their transgressions.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
I should be able to be irresponsible and make an idiot of myself in public and it makes no sense to me why this should affect other people's perception of me.

I mean, all throughout history nobody has ever had a grown up job, and people have always drunk and made a big spectacle of themselves in public and their parents have paid the bills.

This whole idea of "responsibility" and "not being a stupid piece of poo poo" was made up by Americans in the 50s to sell plastic things because American culture is a pretty drat trendy scapegoat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whatever you say dude

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

reallivedinosaur posted:

I should be able to be irresponsible and make an idiot of myself in public and it makes no sense to me why this should affect other people's perception of me.

I mean, all throughout history nobody has ever had a grown up job, and people have always drunk and made a big spectacle of themselves in public and their parents have paid the bills.

This whole idea of "responsibility" and "not being a stupid piece of poo poo" was made up by Americans in the 50s to sell plastic things because American culture is a pretty drat trendy scapegoat.

well ok but I get hosed up all the goddamn time but if u Google me there are no pictures of that

dude u gotta be 48" tall to ride the roller coaster of not being a poor and millenials are intentionally cutting off they own legs

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

reallivedinosaur posted:

found the Fonzarelli alt

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Houle posted:

I find this really strange, like, I get it is all about a perception and accountability thing but getting drunk on the weekend is really just something young people have been doing since alcohol have gotten cheaper. So long as they are not photographing themselves doing something illegal it shouldn't really bar someone from entry job all it does is encourage people to make fake social media accounts for professional settings. Like, the only reason why this is a thing now is that it's a new technology now. People have been documenting their wacky activities and sexual exploits since the printed word.

And this is from someone who doesn't do any of that poo poo, who holds a job where if I had done it I would be sacked pretty quickly, and drink in moderation.

Here's the thing - if there's a billion qualified applicants for every single job, why would I hire someone who has drunk photos on their facebook page when I can hire someone who doesn't?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Prav posted:

it becomes a test in itself, never mind if it's for a good reason or not:

axiom: having easily-found pictures of yourself getting smashed is bad. has the candidate failed to hide these y/n? if y, do you really want to trust the candidate with other tasks? if n, they're either really boring or at least smart enough to hide their transgressions.

The thing is the standard for this poo poo isn't that high, I don't use social media but I would imagine its as simple as setting your profile to private and not having the preview photo be of yourself puking.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Naerasa posted:

Here's the thing - if there's a billion qualified applicants for every single job, why would I hire someone who has drunk photos on their facebook page when I can hire someone who doesn't?

Cause at the end of the day it is about someone who makes the company money and doesn't disrupt the atmosphere of the job which you can probably glean from the resume and contacting references and if need be police check. I'd rather contact the previous places of employment and ask basic questions to ascertain if this person will be responsible on the clock. So long as their performance during Monday to Friday isn't an issue they can do whatever they want on the weekend there's some assumption that with meager salary cheap sources of mind numbing will be sought out. Some get poo poo faced, some poo poo post.

But it's possible that I just grew up during Myspace and Hi5 and have some sort of environmental adaptation since the only diff from the 40 year old dude who gets poo poo faced and comes in to work with a red nose and the 20 some year old who gets poo poo faced and comes in with bloodshot eyes is that he gets a little blue thumbs up. Granted my examples here are from two people I used to work retail with so not exactly setting the bar too high.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Houle posted:

So people like to work for companies they recognize and use. What are the gen x approved jobs to have as dreamjobs?

Maybe that park service thing where you live in a big tower in the middle of the forest and look out for fires, but mostly just drink yourself to death.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The cruel irony seems to be that taking pictures of you excessively drinking on your own time will keep you from gen -x approved jobs of paying for excessive drinking on the job.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't believe that I didn't get the HR rep job when they googled my name and 10 pictures of me vomiting popped up

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Ork of Fiction posted:

Maybe that park service thing where you live in a big tower in the middle of the forest and look out for fires, but mostly just drink yourself to death.

That job is hip with millennials. They even made a video game for it

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/firewatch-ps4/

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Millennial Bernie supporter has nervous breakdown after dealing with Trump supporters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYD8x0KxBjI

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Millennial Bernie supporter has nervous breakdown after dealing with Trump supporters

lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The issue isn't that people are drinking, it's that they are putting severely unflattering photos up in public to represent themselves. They are the people that can't put their phone down for half a second, are self-obsessed, and do not know how to create a public appearance. All those things are very bad for business.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Alucard Nacirema posted:

lmao as the video goes on the mort goldman character from family guy starts to seep through her sobbing

"oh it was just awful they said such mean horrible things and shoved a pine cone up my rear end"

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The issue isn't that people are drinking, it's that they are putting severely unflattering photos up in public to represent themselves. They are the people that can't put their phone down for half a second, are self-obsessed, and do not know how to create a public appearance. All those things are very bad for business.

People can't even sit through a two hour movie without checking their phone any more. Last week when I went to see deadpool some guy yelled at someone in front of him to get the gently caress off Facebook during the last scene.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alucard Nacirema posted:

That job is hip with millennials. They even made a video game for it

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/firewatch-ps4/

That's almost certainly why he even knew that job existed in the first place. Also it doesn't exist anymore computers do that now I guess.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Voting for trump to make her cry more.

She is pretty when she cries

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Does she live in a maintenance closet?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big City Drinkin posted:

And works in a toilet store.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Would that sjw

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Big City Drinkin posted:

times is tough

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

why those gay guys have grreasy hair, they dont have shampoo?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Posting criminal evidence on the internet FTW

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Deliverance reboot looks pretty good so far.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Im the guy on the left going bald and trying to cover it up. Unironically 22 years ago.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/02/24/life-with-isis-is-really-hard-discovers-swedish-teen-who-joined-jihadists/

Guess millenials are dumb in other countries too. Thank god we are not alone.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

I'm pretty sure most of ISIS are millennials too.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Big City Drinkin posted:

for sure. even al qaeda was like "those kids are too brutal!"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Big City Drinkin posted:

Head Isis Dude - "People in American don't use the right pronouns."
*ISIS terror cells begins frothing at mouth, screaming, preparing bombs, posting on Tumblr*

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
An open letter to Al-Baghdadi:

Fresh out of college with a BA in English Lit I moved to Raqqa for an entry-level job,

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

Big City Drinkin posted:

An open letter to Al-Baghdadi:

Fresh out of college with a BA in English Lit I moved to Raqqa for an entry-level job,

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
Threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you?
People call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall,"
You thought they were all a’kiddin' you
You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hanging out
Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging your next meal

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

symbolic posted:

to be fair, anyone signing up for the army thinking it's just a free ride to a good future is an idiot

I had a friend my first year of college who fell for that dog and pony show.

The punchline was this was the year 2000, when that still meant just spending your service on a base somewhere. :911:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Choco1980 posted:

I had a friend my first year of college who fell for that dog and pony show.

The punchline was this was the year 2000, when that still meant just spending your service on a base somewhere. :911:

whoopsie daisy, wont do that again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
thats why you join the air force

theres a reason the other branches call it the chair force

• Locked thread