Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

Welcome to Japan, the first map of the game! I spent about 20 minutes leveling up at this point, so I'll just go over the basics.

Perhaps Seventh Stand emulates the game boy RPG aesthetic a bit too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I'm so glad "But, I refuse!" is one of the options.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Schwarzwald posted:

Perhaps Seventh Stand emulates the game boy RPG aesthetic a bit too well.

Eh, 20 minutes for 5 levels, and it's not like I had to put any strategy into it. Sure, it might get a bit much later, especially without the luxury of free heals, but we'll get to that when we get to it. I may actually have been a level or two over-levelled, considering how quickly I took down Kakyoin and Rainbow.

Those videos will be coming, I just wanted to get this out and I didn't realize I had a whole prologue's worth of text to transcribe.

Edit: Also, there was an update on the last page!

Edit 2: I missed an italic tag and fixed it!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 27, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I really appreciate that the game models the defeated enemy cards after you beat a stand user.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Well we're already one update in and I've already seen content that I've missed; I was totally unaware about the tarot card thing (guess I was really unlucky).

Green Intern posted:

I really appreciate that the game models the defeated enemy cards after you beat a stand user.

It's the little details like that which make this game so neat. Like the "To Be Continued" arrow popping up at the end of every battle.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It takes a while for that Tarot Card to drop sometimes. But, yeah, the intro is pretty neat. I am a bit confused as to why Kakyoin says his Stand is like Avdol's though. I guess since they both shoot projectiles?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Abdul": These doctors from the Speedwagon Foundation will tend to her 24 hours a day. However, since normal humans can't see Stands, they can't do much...None of us can do anything for her...I've watched countless people die by their own Stands in the past.

Huh..I never realized how weird that sounded. I mean there's plenty of stand users in the game but like how long has Abdul been doing this again?

Also

"As a Fortune Teller, you must allow me to name your stand. I dub thee Star Platinum! And for you Lucia your stand-"
"It's Sonic Youth"
"But m-"
"Sonic youuuuutttthhhhhh"

Edit: But seriously that was a huge update! To anyone that hasn't played the game before, the map is like reeeeaaallly huge like there's an entire park in the right corner of it and multiple streets, and the school has like 4 floors.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

^^ Yeah, Japan is pretty big. I didn't even show everything I went to in my footage for the sake of the update length.

Videos have been added to the last update.

F-MEGA Mini

Who Will Judge? & VS Kakyoin

VS Rainbow

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kakyoin's soliloquy on Holly is incredibly random in every form I've seen it.

STAND ROUNDUP:

Kakyoin's Stand, Hierophant Green. It has a powerful mind-control ability, but it has an even more useful ability to throw crystals at people.

Holly's Stand, sometimes called Ghosts in the Machine in the fandom, which does nothing but kill Holly slowly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Kakyoin's soliloquy on Holly is incredibly random in every form I've seen it.

Art by Millionfish on Tumblr.

SaitoBatch
Jun 16, 2009
A thing about this game is that the player characters (and by that I mean the name of the person who'd use each Stand) all have placeholder names. I think Sonic Youth's was Otomine, which is a pun about sound that I can't explain correctly since I don't speak Japanese well enough.

Also, not that it matters, but I got Miracles as well my first time playing. It's not meant for directly attacking, but it's moves are great.

SaitoBatch fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 27, 2016

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Lobsterman posted:

I'm so glad "But, I refuse!" is one of the options.

I prefer the "Like Hell, I would!" translation simply because it fits the tone much better in the scene introduced, but this is fine, too.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Abdul": These doctors from the Speedwagon Foundation will tend to her 24 hours a day. However, since normal humans can't see Stands, they can't do much...None of us can do anything for her...I've watched countless people die by their own Stands in the past.

Huh..I never realized how weird that sounded. I mean there's plenty of stand users in the game but like how long has Abdul been doing this again?

From what JoJo goes into later, Holly's stand seems to be the *only* stand that actually does what it does. Another one of those early "stand-abilities not established" things (and the extremely precise time limit).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pimpmust posted:

From what JoJo goes into later, Holly's stand seems to be the *only* stand that actually does what it does. Another one of those early "stand-abilities not established" things (and the extremely precise time limit).

Someone else gets afflicted with a stand that slowly kills them because DIO awoke his stand in a later part, so Holly's not the only one. Josuke almost died too because of DIO.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Someone else gets afflicted with a stand that slowly kills them because DIO awoke his stand in a later part, so Holly's not the only one. Josuke almost died too because of DIO.

Was that ever said? I was under the implication that it was just a normal fever, since they never mention anything about it once that guy helped free their tires. And given that Josuke is able to use Crazy Diamond normally, I can't imagine it's the same thing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
This is headcanon but I like to imagine that the delinquent saving Josuke had such a profound effect on him that he found the fighting spirit necessary to overcome his deadly Stand on his own. This is also why he keeps his stand like Jotaro and Joseph do instead of losing it once DIO is killed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Japan is about where I stopped when I first played this game. This game felt like it had too many secrets and I totally felt like I was missing out on a lot, but just stumbling through it blindly. I'll def try and pick it back up at and some point and play along.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Was that ever said? I was under the implication that it was just a normal fever, since they never mention anything about it once that guy helped free their tires. And given that Josuke is able to use Crazy Diamond normally, I can't imagine it's the same thing.
Two siblings getting Powerful Plot Sickness the same year (I think if you do the math when Josuke was born and he was 4 when he got sick, that works out to the year of Stardust Crusaders) feels like way more than a coincidence. Like Rohan said, it's not canon, but it seems likely due to Josuke remembering the man who saved him, it allowed him the strength to fight through the illness and develop a Stand that carries with it an ability of kindness that was brought on by that stranger's selfless act. All that opposed to Holly laying in bed for 50 days.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 28, 2016

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Moltrey posted:

Japan is about where I stopped when I first played this game. This game felt like it had too many secrets and I totally felt like I was missing out on a lot, but just stumbling through it blindly. I'll def try and pick it back up at and some point and play along.

If it helps, the game's wiki has a walkthrough that lists all the sidequests and goodies on a per-chapter basis while trying to remain as vague as possible. I'm not linking it here because it's naturally full of spoilers, but you should find it pretty easily.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

Kakyoin's Stand, Hierophant Green. It has a powerful mind-control ability, but it has an even more useful ability to throw crystals at people.

Well it's not really mind control as the power to enter people's bodies and control them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also now that he's a good guy, he'll like never use it again. He's just the Emerald Splash guy now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Also now that he's a good guy, he'll like never use it again. He's just the Emerald Splash guy now.

He used it against Death

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He used it against Death

Not quite. He goes into his body, but he never possesses him.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
He kind of swaps out "mind control" for "I hid a bunch of tentacles around that you didn't notice" after this point

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Even reading every tagged spoiler, I still don't have a fuckin' clue of what actually goes on in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Even reading every tagged spoiler, I still don't have a fuckin' clue of what actually goes on in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

It's not called Jojo's Mundane Adventure.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Absurdly dressed people do eccentric things in-between beating up people with supernatural powers.

It just gets really really REALLY eccentric.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
https://youtu.be/SgWcSuxyvT8

Exceptionally Eccentric

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015

Somehow, I just KNEW it was going to be that scene.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Thyself D. Mad posted:

Somehow, I just KNEW it was going to be that scene.

I expected this one. I was disappointed and I intend to fix that.

Edit: Should we polsy any youtube links that come up? Youtube recommendations are notorious for spoiling people.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 28, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm only a little further in the Manga than where the LPs have shown us. And even then, I can confirm the series makes you constantly go :what: And everything I hear is that it constantly tries to top itself. Which is the biggest reason to keep reading imo.

Just finished the encounter with the "Strength" Stand User

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

I'm only a little further in the Manga than where the LPs have shown us.

I think I speak on behalf of a few of us when I say

:getin:

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
There is a page from part six that pretty much embodies what you're feeling right now. I wish I could post it but all I can do is tell you to go read the manga already!

In fact most of part six is pretty drat bizarre that I don't think I could explain it without confusing the hell out of anybody who hasn't read it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

evilspacehopper posted:

There is a page from part six that pretty much embodies what you're feeling right now. I wish I could post it but all I can do is tell you to go read the manga already!

In fact most of part six is pretty drat bizarre that I don't think I could explain it without confusing the hell out of anybody who hasn't read it.

Just knowing the main character of Part Six's powers is enough to tell you just how Bizarre this particular Bizarre Adventure is going to be.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
For maximum confusion, Jojo virgins can go here

http://outofcontextjojo.tumblr.com/

While this does show ALL the spoilers for future arcs, it still doesn't spoil anything because even in-context, these scenes make little sense.

And it is glorious.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose nobody's willing to actually work for Dio without the mind whammy, which is why they immediately trust this new stand user.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

I suppose nobody's willing to actually work for Dio without the mind whammy, which is why they immediately trust this new stand user.

Given that Avdol's reaction to meeting him for the first time was to jump out of the nearest window, that's probably a safe bet to make.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Glazius posted:

There are three reasons the people we'll encounter work for Dio:

1. Flesh buds
2. His amazing charisma
3. MAD MONEY DOG

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Dio does indeed have fanatical followers. Dude's an ancient vampire sexual tyrannosaurus. Some people are into that, even as a platonic thing.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Dio exudes charisma and sheer physical beauty capable of enrapturing many individuals, regardless of their sexual preferences. Classical vampires have the ability to inspire such fascination as a supernatural power. Dio has it just from being Dio, and had a similar effect on people even as an (extra)ordinary human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Plus now he got that Jonathan beef from the neck down, hoo boy.

• Locked thread