Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chill la Chill posted:

Those look great but I always wondered why people like the 3d asteroids. They're such a pain to use when your ships bump into them.

They look cool and you model them with magnets or something so you can pop them off the base when someone crashes.

E: top of page horror: I won't find and rehost the photo, but... I saw something a while ago which initially made me hopeful - it was a pride-themed ship. Then I realised... it is a YT2400. That is Dash's ship.

Someone painted loving Rainbow Dash.

Then I hated myself for understanding the pun.

This, like the Dukemobile, has been a lesson in how lovely some x-wing players are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

thespaceinvader posted:

They look cool and you model them with magnets or something so you can pop them off the base when someone crashes.

E: top of page horror: I won't find and rehost the photo, but... I saw something a while ago which initially made me hopeful - it was a pride-themed ship. Then I realised... it is a YT2400. That is Dash's ship.

Someone painted loving Rainbow Dash.

Then I hated myself for understanding the pun.

This, like the Dukemobile, has been a lesson in how lovely some x-wing players are.
In about a week I'm going to start painting a commemorative eddie aikau big wave 2016 surfing competition scheme on dash. :3: It seems like a fitting ship and I can put the hawaiian flag and little pictograms all over it.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

This gives me great hope. I just can't let Dash go. It's my favorite ship and favorite upgrades, and I've been thinking about bringing in Ten Numb. I'm very excited about this.

What did your Ten Numb have for upgrades?

Ten Numb + VI + Mangler + B Wing/E2 + C3PO. Makes him a bit more tanky and gives you a 2 point initiative bid. Optionally swap C3PO for Chewie to get a bit more guaranteed health but lose a point of initiative bid.

List for posterity: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/331694/dash-numb

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 29, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ranbo das posted:

Ten Numb + VI + Mangler + B Wing/E2 + C3PO. Makes him a bit more tanky and gives you a 2 point initiative bid. Optionally swap C3PO for Chewie to get a bit more guaranteed health but lose a point of initiative bid.

List for posterity: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/331694/dash-numb

How important is initiative in a build like that? And what about using Sensor Jammer instead of 3PO?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I call it Double or Nothing

(99)

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (59) - VT-49 Decimator
Veteran Instincts (1), Darth Vader (3), Gunner (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

"Redline" (40) - TIE Punisher
Fire Control System (2), Ion Torpedoes (5), Extra Munitions (2), Cluster Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0)

I have my regional bye, so I wanna run something that will win or lose very fast.

If chimps aren't out by the next store championship I go to, I'll probably do concussion missiles instead of ion.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I haven't been using Poe a lot and I decided for the last day of League Night at my FLGS I would use him and others:

Poe My Hero (100)

Poe Dameron (38) - T-70 X-Wing
Predator (3), R2-D2 (4), Integrated Astromech (0)

Jake Farrell (30) - A-Wing
Push The Limit (3), Proton Rockets (3)

"Red Ace" (32) - T-70 X-Wing
Comm Relay (3)

Jake is there to use the prockets - last week someone one-shotted poor Biggs with it. I do like his ability to move around and be wily. Poe and Red Ace I'd like to keep together to be attack buddies.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How important is initiative in a build like that? And what about using Sensor Jammer instead of 3PO?

I found getting to place two big obstacles instead of one to help a lot (most lists bring three small rocks and you want a nice big playground for dash to run around and through), but as for flying not much. 7 and 10 are at weird spots where there's not much overlap.

Never tried Sensor Jammer, I'm still relatively new to the list so I'm playing around, but now that you mention system upgrades FCS is only 2 points.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 29, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is the Yt-1300 the only ship in which the generic has actul worse stats than the named pilots?

Also, I am going to weekly FLGS game night with two lists, for my store champ for the 13th. I like them both, but I can say one is objectively better. But, I also suck, soe maybe the worse one is the better one? Both have Jake the Snake, loaded for bear.

[TARN]
Click to change squadron details

100 points

PILOTS

Jake Farrell (33)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2), Outmaneuver (3)

Tarn Mison (25)
X-Wing (23), R7 Astromech (2), Integrated Astromech (0)

Wild Space Fringer (42)
YT-2400 Freighter (30), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Outrider (5)

and

[AXX :black101:]
Click to change squadron details

99 points

PILOTS

Jake Farrell (33)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2), Outmaneuver (3)

Wes Janson (32)
X-Wing (29), R3-A2 (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (34)
X-Wing (29), BB-8 (2), Predator (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey, thanks to doing well in an Armada tourney and winning some store credit, I said gently caress it and bought the TFA Xwing starter set. Aside from a second starter set, which I was recommended, what are the really good starter purchases for someone who wants to get into rebels? I'm partial to the E-Wing, B-Wing, and X-Wing if that helps.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

B wings are always fun. Get rebel aces if you can.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Eimi posted:

Hey, thanks to doing well in an Armada tourney and winning some store credit, I said gently caress it and bought the TFA Xwing starter set. Aside from a second starter set, which I was recommended, what are the really good starter purchases for someone who wants to get into rebels? I'm partial to the E-Wing, B-Wing, and X-Wing if that helps.

E, X, and B-Wing Expansion (obviously)
Rebel Aces
Rebel Transport (some great X-Wing pilots and astromech droids)
E: you may want to get a falcon just because it's still a pretty solid ship and includes Veteran Instincts, an EPT upgrade with broad utility.
E2: Push The Limit is a good EPT and you'll want to get a copy, either just trading for it a la carte or picking up the A-Wing expac.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 29, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Eimi posted:

You can start with a decent Biggs(X)/Corran(E)/Poe(T70) list, though it won't be fully powered.

E: woops Biggs is in the old starter so uh Wedge I guess? Easiest would be to get an A-wing instead of X and you will have the makings of a great list. And it'll come with Push the limit for Corran or Poe too.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 29, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Otisburg posted:

E, X, and B-Wing Expansion (obviously)
Rebel Aces
Rebel Transport (some great X-Wing pilots and astromech droids)
E: you may want to get a falcon just because it's still a pretty solid ship and includes Veteran Instincts, an EPT upgrade with broad utility.
E2: Push The Limit is a good EPT and you'll want to get a copy, either just trading for it a la carte or picking up the A-Wing expac.

Thanks, I was totally gonna get those anyway, but more wondering on where to branch out. Not entirely sure I'd want to get a Transport though, just because of the price and because Armada is my still my main game, and it is my understanding epic ships are more for their own game mode. Also I'm gonna be proxing cards for a while as I learn poo poo.

I will probably get the old starter set sometime, maybe I'll go with Aces and E Wing as that gets me A, B, and E for variety as I dip my toes in.

As for list building any killer cards to look to include? Like the aforementioned Veteran Instincts.

Or oh is there is a nice list building site for Xwing like Armada Warlords? It's very well done with scans of the cards and where they come from and all that.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 29, 2016

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is the Yt-1300 the only ship in which the generic has actul worse stats than the named pilots?

Yes, because:

Han Solo posted:

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
The battle of wayland has begun in my rediculous X-wing risk campaign. I'm flying a 409 point imperial list vs. a nearly 300 point rebel list. This is going to take a while. drat there's a lot of asteroids in epic!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tequila Ranger posted:

Yes, because:

Pro-tip: when flying Han, you're gonna want to have these:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Blanked on offense and defense in like eight consecutive turns while my buddy rolled nothing but hits and evades. He didn't even spend a single token.

Dice are a cruel mistress.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Eimi posted:

Or oh is there is a nice list building site for Xwing like Armada Warlords? It's very well done with scans of the cards and where they come from and all that.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/
or
http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build

Are both solid choices.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
So it happens that my LGS' store championship is 2 days after Wave 8 comes out. All wave 8 stuff is legal the day it hits shelves, but what we're thinking of doing is allowing people to proxy Wave 8 upgrades for the tourney the saturday before to let people get extra practice.

Does FFG care about proxied unreleased upgrades at tourneys? What if a Winter tourney kit was on the line?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Eimi posted:

http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build & http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/

I prefer the latter since it works better on mobile browsers.

E:fb

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pyronic posted:

So it happens that my LGS' store championship is 2 days after Wave 8 comes out. All wave 8 stuff is legal the day it hits shelves, but what we're thinking of doing is allowing people to proxy Wave 8 upgrades for the tourney the saturday before to let people get extra practice.

Does FFG care about proxied unreleased upgrades at tourneys? What if a Winter tourney kit was on the line?

I'm not FFG, but I would hazard a guess that if its below Premiere or Competitive level, they probably don't give too much of a poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pyronic posted:

Uh, you already made the first mistake of talking about it.I doubt anyone cares unless a player complains.

FFG doesn't regulate things on a store champ or seasonal kit level AFAIK. There has been more than one store champ event I've been to where they accepted just a printout of your list with all upgrades in detail. Though officially I don't even think FFG has anything similar to WOTC's firm policy regarding proxy use - that they enjoy reaffirming from time to time.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Pyronic posted:

Seasonal kits are basically free for alls. Hell, ask your local game store nicely and they'll probably buy you a whole kit and provide it for a bit of a markup. We buy kits through our store for fun tournaments all the time.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Chemmy posted:

Dice are a cruel mistress.

Gonna go to Fayetteville for one more store championship and then pump the brakes for a while on the constant X-Wing playing. Three nights a week every week is exhausting now, especially after the last store championship. Hopefully everyone has had a good run of wangs lately, though.

FFG is basically taking all of my hobby money from now until eternity, however, with X-Wing as my ~serious gaming hobby~ and now I want to get into Netrunner. Jesus.

Also posting my goondolences to The Gate, who got cheesed into an auto-loss against an accidentally cheating judge (:v:) to finish right behind me in the standings at AE's store champs. Truly, to live is to suffer.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Had an OK run at store champs with boba & IG88B, first game was against the green dice reducing YV-666 and another IG88. Guy was really new, he did a bad sloop and his IG died without firing a shot and I got behind his space fridge and chased it towards the edge. It was almost a disaster because I was dumb and didn't pay attention to his upgrades. I had chased it a position where it would go off the map, he managed to delay it a turn by doing a full stop but boba was right behind (on a debris, so stressed) and the ig was bumping. And I stupidly killed him with boba. So Dead man switch (which I had forgotten) triggered and lost me my last IG shield and Natasha pup shot out the back. Now the boba had to use dampeners or he'd would be off the board next turn with basically full health. Fortunately the IG pulled through and killed the Z before that happened. 100-25

Question, the pup and dead man switch don't trigger if the ship leaves play, correct?

Second game was vs Oicunn & Whisper, I was outplayed on the first pass and did basically no damage while boba lost all his shields, got the PS 0 crit and got a stress from rebel captive. I got lucky when whisper hit a debris cloud, I pounced with the IG and killed her in two rounds, but between glitterstim and rebel captive my IG was too stressed to escape oicunn who got behind and murdered it after ramming boba to death. 41-100

Third game was against SOLV, against an old hand, he'd just won a store champs in NYC with VSP so I was nervous despite the fact that my list was basically built to crush his. And crush it it did thanks to Boba Fetts crazy defence rerolls, I must've gotten double evades on 3-4 times. Boba stuck close to Soontir's tail and he just couldn't shake him at PS10, and I eventually got through the worst crit imaginable for him, red hard turns. He was stressed and facing a corner so I let him fly off the board. The gunner effect ground down OL after pushing through a HLC crit (OL hoisted by his own petard!) with crackshot. Vader went down to the buttcannon after failing to kill a 2hp boba at range 1 thanks to green dice reroll. 100 -25

Final game was poe, Jake, stress Horton. Manoeuvred well to kill Horton in 2 turns of firing. Then boba slowly got burned down while ig got into position. I hosed up in my planning because I forgot about glitterstim stress, so my planned Sloop was delayed a turn which cost me a position behind poe. Then Jake killed boba, and IG88 nearly 1 shot Jake, he was saved by Autothrusters and I forgot crackshot, which cost me a good shot on a stressed poe the next turn. I killed Jake and poe took off some shields. I was winning on points (had 1 shield left) and tried to flee but I choose poorly (went right, not left and ended up passing debris), Poe got on my tail and the final shot of the game I had to roll two natural evades and rolled one. 61-75. Pretty disappointed because if I had remembered crackshot I'm pretty sure I could've had a much better position to chase Poe and perhaps kill him.

I like the high ps boba but for sure Dengar would replace him. IG88B is a damned beast. Big fan. Maybe I should get another...

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 29, 2016

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

At least 140$ of ship went into making this. :shepicide:

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 29, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm the ball turret that serves as the only forward observational area.

E: just visited the page again and there's now a hawk that looks like a cake cuz the paint is so thick. :3:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 29, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The guy converted it because the lizard bus is ugly, which fair enough, ugliest there is IMO.

But he somehow managed to make it worse.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

On the bright side, at least most of the models used are utterly useless so...this guy gets to buy them all over again once FFG releases the fixes. :getin:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

guts and bolts posted:

Also posting my goondolences to The Gate, who got cheesed into an auto-loss against an accidentally cheating judge (:v:) to finish right behind me in the standings at AE's store champs. Truly, to live is to suffer.

Still salty over that. Especially because I was initially paired against the guy with 4 TLT Y-Wings. Except he had the title for some reason. Whisper and Carnor against that? Yes please!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

At least 140$ of ship went into making this. :shepicide:

I like the idea of moving the wings forward, then painting a big shark mouth on the front like the old fighter planes

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

That ugly had two kwings a syck and a hawk? What else?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

hoiyes posted:

I like the idea of moving the wings forward, then painting a big shark mouth on the front like the old fighter planes

Which, uh, which wings?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

bunnyofdoom posted:

The YV-666 that started it all, and a Punisher.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Didn't see the punisher bits. On my phone might be why

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

bunnyofdoom posted:

Didn't see the punisher bits. On my phone might be why

They're at the back, under the K-wing bits.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

2x K-Wing: 40$
Scyck: 15$
Punisher: 20$
Hawk: 15$
Hound's tooth: 40$

Grand total: 130$

hoiyes posted:

That's actually a pretty neat idea, too bad it's buried under a layer of (expensive) garbage.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Where did you find this?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bunnyofdoom posted:

Where did you find this?

X-wing miniatures mods and repaints facebook group. It's a treasure trove of both great paintjobs and awful rebel ships. Also the trend of lazily done airbrush blends is growing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I want to paint my Hound's Tooth in a black and white houndstooth pattern

• Locked thread