Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Holy poo poo, this is terrible. :( Condolences dude, lawyer up and go up the chain at Subaru. Usually threat of a lawyer is enough to get them to do something. They too don't want to get drug into court and deal with something that can go away for 3-5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Interesting teardown of the FA-20 I found: here

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
What do the FA20DIT and BRZ FA20 heads flow? Can't be worse than the EJ heads. I mean, in theory the EJs should have potential to be a high RPM screamer if you look at the bore size but the port flow just isn't there. I dream of casting proper heads for the EJ at some point.

Anyway, apparently they made the oiling to the crank even worse on the FA20? The same dumbass crank oiling but now without giving the crank priority? Ugh.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Fifty Three posted:

I suspected that but Google can be kind of dumb when returning image results for <year> <model>. Thanks!

The 09-10 is also different from the 08, I think. The 11+ ones are definitely more aggressive looking than both though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Interesting teardown of the FA-20 I found: here

Being an engineer, yet knowing next to nothing about cars, this was a really fascinating read. It's just pretty wild to me that someone can actually tear down an engine with a million parts and be able to put it back together. Jamal's posts are usually gibberish moonspeak to me, but trying to figure out what the hell he's talking about is cool.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

As a 2015 STI owner :smith:

Every time I look at or get in my 15 STI I smile, that's good enough for me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shrapnig posted:

Every time I look at or get in my 15 STI I smile, that's good enough for me.

Yea, even though I spun a bearing at 17k in mine, I see plenty of FA20 WRXs on NASIOC getting engine rebuilds under warranty too. Funny that subaru got rated most reliable brand recently. I like my car a lot an enjoy it...and will enjoy it a lot mroe when I get past 1000 miles on the new engine.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
You have to remember that people are a lot more ready to complain than not. The poo poo part is that when subaru knows they hosed up, their american branch wont stand by their product.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, the issue isn't so much the engine deaths (which are poo poo, but every manufacturer has some lemons) but SOA's complete refusal to be sane and reasonable about repairs...

Down here nobody really cares because they just fix 'em thanks to aforementioned watchdogs :v:

Hey guys is ~350kpa (~50psi) an acceptable hot idle oil pressure for an EJ207/EJ208D? Goes up to over 600kpa as soon as it's at any reasonable rpm. A Google suggests it's ok. Oil temp seemed to be staying around 80-85C, which is interesting - I think this engine has a low temp thermostat, the temp gauge always hovers just below halfway up. Guess I should get a proper digital coolant temp sensor and see what it's doing...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If anything that's on the high side. Oil weight?

As as far as coolant temp goes if you gave something like the torque app you can read/log it. I'm not sure how the OEM sensor compares to something aftermarket

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Update on my search for a wagon: wife and I test drove a 2016 wrx, she is enamored with it. I liked it too fwiw. Yay I guess.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

jamal posted:

If anything that's on the high side. Oil weight?

As as far as coolant temp goes if you gave something like the torque app you can read/log it. I'm not sure how the OEM sensor compares to something aftermarket

Hmm, yeah. I'm running Penrite HPR 5W-40 full syn as recommended by the manual for high-temp environs (it gets to 115F/46C here for days at a time sometimes, and practically never gets below 0C). Dealer also said it was the one they use in these cars.

I could run a 5W-30 oil, but the manual doesn't like 5W-30 being used when ambient is 40C+, apparently

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Update on my search for a wagon: wife and I test drove a 2016 wrx, she is enamored with it. I liked it too fwiw. Yay I guess.

Sup 2016 wrx buddy. Should have mine by the end of the week.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Everyone says it's a really good car.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I loving love my 2014 WRX hatch even though it's engine is going to explode one day and leave me stranded on the side of the road.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Internet Explorer posted:

I loving love my 2014 WRX hatch even though it's engine is going to explode one day and leave me stranded on the side of the road.

My engine exploded and still ran for 30k mi.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
2013 WRX, been "Stage 1" protuned since 10,000mi, currently sitting at 46k without a drop of oil consumption between changes :feelsgood:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So next question: USAAs car buying service or Costco? Neither?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Costco's buying service only applies to certain cars. I'm not sure if the WRX is included, my gut says no. If it is, you'll probably get a few hundred under invoice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If USAA is a choice for just about anything, they're the right answer.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
This bike rack thing came with a wagon I bought, I don't want it. How much should I list it for?

pn for the rails is E3610SS000 if that helps

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Don't they both just use truecar? If not, the obvious choice is whichever service gets you the best price overall.

I used truecar through PenFed a few years ago for my caddy, get ready for the endless calls.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mariooncrack posted:

Costco's buying service only applies to certain cars. I'm not sure if the WRX is included, my gut says no. If it is, you'll probably get a few hundred under invoice.

It let me find my 16 WRX. At a dealer 2 hours away. I bought local instead and didn't bother with the Costco thing.

How do you guys who have tuned your car deal with bringing it into the dealer for service? Especially if it's under warranty?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Midjack posted:

If USAA is a choice for just about anything, they're the right answer.

They didn't really help with my 2015 STI in June 2014 but maybe thats because of the new STI factor. I also gotta say my friends have found better deals at the dealer though negotiation than the TrueCarPrice from the USAA service on an accord and prius. Both came in about $500 less than what USAA was saying.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It let me find my 16 WRX. At a dealer 2 hours away. I bought local instead and didn't bother with the Costco thing.

How do you guys who have tuned your car deal with bringing it into the dealer for service? Especially if it's under warranty?

I've read different reports on NASIOC most of them accompanied with some dickbag saying "hurf durf you pay to play"

Choosing not to tune mine despite owning a tuner paid absolutely massive dividends when my rod bearing spun. Wait out the warranty is my advice.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm just running a Cobb OTS. If I'm going in for minor stuff I leave it on. When I had the DCCD wiring problem a while back I took it back to stock since there was a greater chance it would be scrutinized closely.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
If only Subaru would offer a factory H6 turbo. Or gently caress it, a 4.5 liter V-8 STi. I guess I'm asking for Subaru to make the old audi S4, but that is ok, right?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'd pay entirely way too much money for a Subaru S4.

Factory 400+hp Subie. Hot drat I want a piece of that.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

CarForumPoster posted:

Choosing not to tune mine despite owning a tuner paid absolutely massive dividends when my rod bearing spun. Wait out the warranty is my advice.

This is what I did. "Luckily" my engine exploded at ~6k miles and then I went straight to the tuner after the work.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Has anyone here downsized their STI brakes to run 15s? Trying to figure out what my options are. I've been looking at the kit that Primitive sells and I'm wondering if that's the best route. Also, are they a serious downgrade or is it not that bad with a good pad/rotor setup?

PS I just put on the primitive skid plate and rear diff cover and they are kickass

TheFargate fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 29, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

You can do the fancy ap rally brakes, or just the old Subaru 4-pots. If you have an 08+ I don't think the rear 2pots can be made to work. But a 15" rally wheel probably fits over the rear brembo.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

jamal posted:

You can do the fancy ap rally brakes, or just the old Subaru 4-pots. If you have an 08+ I don't think the rear 2pots can be made to work. But a 15" rally wheel probably fits over the rear brembo.

So I might be able to get away with just the fronts then? This is on a 2015 by the way.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm not sure. Ebd won't like it and the rear wheels might not fit.

Do you really need 15" wheels?

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
I'd like them. I haven't found a decent amount of options with the 17s. Unless you have a recommendation for those?

E: I am currently running king springs if that helps with options

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't think you are going to have much luck running 15s even if you swapped to wrx 4 pots.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Ok, I guess I'll scratch that idea. Do I have any good options for a rallyx setup then if I stick to the brembos?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I don't think you are going to have much luck running 15s even if you swapped to wrx 4 pots.

Well, there are a few 15s that fit 4-pots. Basically any rally wheel.

And hey, here you go:

http://knsbrakes.com/c/kns-bracket

v2 bracket will let you put 2-pots on an 08+ sti.

Don't know if that rotor is actually dual drilled though. if you got ahold of kns brakes they could probably do it for you.

But I think a fairly aggressive 17" all season or a winter tire would make your life a lot easier. Could possibly get one of those tire tread groove cutter things and improve the pattern.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'll trade you the single piston fronts and drum rears off my TS for some of that hot Brembo action.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

jamal posted:

And hey, here you go:

Don't know if that rotor is actually dual drilled though. if you got ahold of kns brakes they could probably do it for you.

But I think a fairly aggressive 17" all season or a winter tire would make your life a lot easier. Could possibly get one of those tire tread groove cutter things and improve the pattern.

I've been running BFG Comp-2 A/S tires this year in rallycross and they have been super solid. Plenty of traction for local rallycross. If k was running nationals I'd be more worried about getting my 04 on 15s and rallycross tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

jamal posted:

And hey, here you go:

Awesome!

Sadi posted:

I've been running BFG Comp-2 A/S tires this year in rallycross and they have been super solid. Plenty of traction for local rallycross. If k was running nationals I'd be more worried about getting my 04 on 15s and rallycross tires.

This is really just an idea at this point. But I was figuring that if I could more than cover the cost of swapping with what the brembos are worth than I'd strongly consider it. I'll definitely take a look at those comp-2s. My main concern about the swap is just how much braking power I would lose. I'm also trying to figure out what the largest profile tire I can fit with 17s on it. Would anyone happen to know what that is? I was looking at doing bfg ko2s in a 225/65/17 but no idea how tight it would be. From what I gather they would just under 3" bigger diameter than OEM.