Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AgentSythe posted:

owned idiot

Am I an idiot for disliking douches? I will accept that if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Owen isn't as big an arsehole as he used to be.

And he's still better then Travis loving Woo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Gridlocked posted:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No, that's not why you're an idiot.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gridlocked posted:

Yeah, but Travis Woo is banned from the game. So :shrug:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Who knows. I only know I would rather see him hit by a truck then to win another GP.

extremely normal and not mentally ill poster talking about how he wishes that a guy he's never met would die because of the way he plays a card game for children

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Self-hatred is unhealthy

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

When did this happen?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Self-hatred is unhealthy

It's perfectly normal thank you very much. :colbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

Getting suspended from writing for CFB isn't getting banned from playing the game

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
A healthy alternative to posting on the internet about how a complete stranger is a "smug douche" or has a "punchable face" is to take a deep breath and consider going outside every now and then

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AlternateNu posted:

Wait banned from the game now?

I thought he was just "on indefinite suspension" from CFB for his Hitler/Anti-Jew rant.

And his gross rear end hair and facial hair.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gridlocked posted:

Wait banned from the game now?

I thought he was just "on indefinite suspension" from CFB for his Hitler/Anti-Jew rant.

And his gross rear end hair and facial hair.

I thought he was suspended by Wizards, too. Is that not the case?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

little munchkin posted:

extremely normal and not mentally ill poster talking about how he wishes that a guy he's never met would die because of the way he plays a card game for children

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

little munchkin posted:

You can get hit by a truck and not die.

Also lol @ everyone screeching about mental health and lack thereof while being completely incapable of parsing hyperbole. :allears:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Yes the Pauper community and it's obsession with trying to make "Dead Dog" a thing certainly is baffling.

It's a fun deck to pilot that is eternally a solid tier 2 deck due to the reliance on Tortured Existence and vulnerability to GY hate.. If there is ever another Tortured Existence effect at common (there won't be) or a Green creature with EtB "Return target (set of cards including Enchantments) to your hand/top of deck" (might get printed) it might make it up to Tier 1.5.

Hell, with Innistrad coming up maybe we'll see a Madness Eternal Witness at common (really, really doubt it).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

PJOmega posted:

Hell, with Innistrad coming up maybe we'll see a Madness Eternal Witness at common (really, really doubt it) Mythic Rare that will be an auto-4-of in every green deck.

FTFY

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

A Green 2/1 for 3G that has madness 1G and "When ~this card~ enters the battlefield, if its madness cost was paid, you may return target card from a graveyard to its owner's hand/the top of the owner's deck" would be a mythic in your view?

Using Grave Scrabbler as the example.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PJOmega posted:

A Green 2/1 for 3G that has madness 1G and "When ~this card~ enters the battlefield, if its madness cost was paid, you may return target card from a graveyard to its owner's hand/the top of the owner's deck" would be a mythic in your view?

Using Grave Scrabbler as the example.

It was a Pyroclasm joke.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It was a Pyroclasm joke.

Whoosh, flew right past me. My bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PJOmega posted:

Whoosh, flew right past me. My bad.

Also come to think of it, apparently Greenwarden of Murasa is mythic so who knows with WotC these days?!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoth posted:

Also lol @ everyone screeching about mental health and lack thereof while being completely incapable of parsing hyperbole. :allears:

I don't think the this is the sole incident used to evaluate said poster's mental health.

Owen's a polarizing figure but it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge his talent for the game and effort put into it v:shobon:v

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Yawgmoth posted:

It's not truly a thread on the internet unless there is screeching about mental health by people incapable of parsing hyperbole.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

that guy gets mad about everything, and deserves nothing but scorn

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

suicidesteve posted:

Also come to think of it, apparently Greenwarden of Murasa is mythic so who knows with WotC these days?!

Greenwarden is pretty mythic, at least - he's a giant green dude that represents two seperate regrowth effects.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zoness posted:

I don't think the this is the sole incident used to evaluate said poster's mental health.

Owen's a polarizing figure but it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge his talent for the game and effort put into it v:shobon:v

He's cleaned up his act somewhat over the last 6 months or so though. Or however long it has been since The Goyf Incident. That was about where he noticed how much people hated his attitude, took a break from working on CFB for what I imagine was to try and look at an attitude adjustment and came back being a bit more polite and considered. He still is an elitist and that's ok, he deserves to think highly of himself and his friends. But like he isn't moaning in streams or draft videos anymore about being hyper unlucky or his opponents lucking into a good deck while he is stuck in a queue where no one knows how to draft so everyone is getting screwed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mandatory lesbian posted:

that guy gets mad about everything, and deserves nothing but scorn

It's true. And I was super mad and angry ranting about how Owen won again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you think that the problem here is people being unable to parse hyperbole you are, get this, an actual literal retard

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's true. And I was super mad and angry ranting about how Owen won again.

I am sure the other poster meant Owen, which we all can agree with.

Gridlocked posted:

moaning in streams or draft videos anymore about being hyper unlucky or his opponents lucking into a good deck while he is stuck in a queue where no one knows how to draft so everyone is getting screwed.
:eyepop: I suppose it comes with the territory for a children's card game.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I like to imagine Owen took a break from writing for CFB because at some point his articles devolved into 700 words that started with "I need money so I am writing this poo poo, here are four unconnected bullet point statements." and they asked him to stop turning in poo poo.

Magic articles are already bad enough without having people turning stuff like that in

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It turns out that being good at a game does not make you an effective writer. It's actually hard to find the really good writers.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

rabidsquid posted:

I like to imagine Owen took a break from writing for CFB because at some point his articles devolved into 700 words that started with "I need money so I am writing this poo poo, here are four unconnected bullet point statements." and they asked him to stop turning in poo poo.

Magic articles are already bad enough without having people turning stuff like that in

My favorite part about his articles is how many of them seem to end mid-paragraph. He'll be in the middle of a thought, somewhere around point two and a half out of four, then bam the thing is just over, like he went to take a piss mid-write and accidentally hit 'send' to his editor while getting up.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: I suppose it comes with the territory for a children's card game.

He isn't the only pro/streamer to do so though. Even personable people like Ceddy would go on tilt sometimes. It's just Owen would kinda live on tilt. There have been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse then him though.

Anyone remember Andrey Yanyuk?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

sarmhan posted:

It turns out that being good at a game does not make you an effective writer. It's actually hard to find the really good writers.

It seems to be the same for commentating.

God I miss Cedrick and Patrick. I will say LSV and Gaby did a good job today. It was actually fun to watch the GP. The SCG event was kind of painful.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MiddleEastBeast posted:

My favorite part about his articles is how many of them seem to end mid-paragraph. He'll be in the middle of a thought, somewhere around point two and a half out of four, then bam the thing is just over, like he went to take a piss mid-write and accidentally hit 'send' to his editor while getting up.

Yeah. This is actually a really good description of his weird rear end articles.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

sarmhan posted:

This is actually mostly a problem with the audience. A LOT of magic players, particularly the ones who will read and comment on articles, their first response is "what the gently caress has he ever won?" when somebody writes an article. Seems like a lot of the audience for magic writing would rather read something by somebody who won a tournament then an actually compelling piece of writing.

There have been countless terrible mtg articles for this very reason, and it's not too likely to change. SCG and CFB know who butter their bread

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gridlocked posted:

He isn't the only pro/streamer to do so though. Even personable people like Ceddy would go on tilt sometimes. It's just Owen would kinda live on tilt. There have been WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse then him though.

Anyone remember Andrey Yanyuk?

Oh. Good thing I didn't have to see any of those. My friend told me about Gaby and she talks about neat things half the time to fill dead space and it's continuously entertaining. I don't even watch what's going on - I just have it in the background while I paint or do work. I can't imagine seeing or hearing a grown man go on a tantrum being as fun to listen to, though I could see it being entertaining if it's their shtick.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

rabidsquid posted:

This is actually mostly a problem with the audience. A LOT of magic players, particularly the ones who will read and comment on articles, their first response is "what the gently caress has he ever won?" when somebody writes an article. Seems like a lot of the audience for magic writing would rather read something by somebody who won a tournament then an actually compelling piece of writing.

There have been countless terrible mtg articles for this very reason, and it's not too likely to change. SCG and CFB know who butter their bread

I wish Marshal would write articles and not just post vids.

Vids are great for people like Owen who can't write. Then you get articles by people like Frank Karsten and its like :eng101: MATH BOMB :eng101: and that's awesome.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I wish Marshal would write articles and not just post vids.

Vids are great for people like Owen who can't write. Then you get articles by people like Frank Karsten and its like :eng101: MATH BOMB :eng101: and that's awesome.

What's worse- Magic players who think they can write or Magic players who think they're game designers?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

sarmhan posted:

What's worse- Magic players who think they can write or Magic players who think they're game designers?

I mean LSV, Patrick Chapin and Michael Jacob are all in the design business now. Kibler has been in it for ages too. They're all OK people.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

I mean LSV, Patrick Chapin and Michael Jacob are all in the design business now. Kibler has been in it for ages too. They're all OK people.
Yea I should make it clear that the actual professional designers are cool. It's when the rest of the community thinks that this means they are qualified to talk about what is good/bad design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sarmhan posted:

I tutor in my university's writing center and major in writing. The things I want to do to most Magic writers would land me in prison.

• Locked thread