Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ahh yes Parry. Parry freaking sucks. I hated that bird as a kid. Did not find his gimmick fun at all. Squaks is a more take/leave, no strong feelings, and I like Ellie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ooooh, I just realized that the K level rewards in Tropical Freeze are hidden in presents because it's DK's birthday.

Boy, if only Parry didn't hide anything useful. gently caress that bird. Squawks is OK, but he can be hard to control. Quawks in DKC3 is pretty annoying, but we won't see why for a while. It did take me a bit to find out what he does, though. And I mentioned that some people don't like enemy designs in DKC3 because they're more cartoony, but if you ask me, the rat enemies look more menacing in this game, and the DKC2 ones look more cartoony.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Y-Hat posted:

Ooooh, I just realized that the K level rewards in Tropical Freeze are hidden in presents because it's DK's birthday.

Boy, if only Parry didn't hide anything useful. gently caress that bird. Squawks is OK, but he can be hard to control. Quawks in DKC3 is pretty annoying, but we won't see why for a while. It did take me a bit to find out what he does, though. And I mentioned that some people don't like enemy designs in DKC3 because they're more cartoony, but if you ask me, the rat enemies look more menacing in this game, and the DKC2 ones look more cartoony.

Pound for pound, the enemies in 3 are more cartoon-y in design, with things like Zingers vs Buzz being a good example, but the rats are one of the rare exceptions to this rule. The DKC2 versions were just big stuffed plushies from how they looked, but the ones in 3 all look like they'd happily take a bite out of your rear end and give you rabies in the process.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
By the way, going back to the first area of DKC3, I noticed a couple neat things during my recent playthrough.

First, while you may not have noticed it without thinking about it first, a lot of the mechanics with Ellie are given away by a Y-shaped bunch of bananas that appear right before you pick up your first barrel and before you suck one in from far away. The game doesn't have tutorials, but it does a nice subtle job of cluing you in on how things work.

Second, you don't actually have to throw bugs at Belcha. If you're holding the bug out in front of you as Kiddy Kong and you jump at the thing's mouth, you'll get bumped away and the bug will fall right in. I don't know if that's easier or harder than just throwing them. I just thought that was neat.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

Pound for pound, the enemies in 3 are more cartoon-y in design, with things like Zingers vs Buzz being a good example, but the rats are one of the rare exceptions to this rule. The DKC2 versions were just big stuffed plushies from how they looked, but the ones in 3 all look like they'd happily take a bite out of your rear end and give you rabies in the process.

i really like how the zingers were the only enemies to look more or less the same in dkc 1 and 2 and then you get the weirdo buzzes in 3 because you killed the king and queen

add genocide to the big list

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Looper posted:

i really like how the zingers were the only enemies to look more or less the same in dkc 1 and 2 and then you get the weirdo buzzes in 3 because you killed the king and queen

add genocide to the big list

Genocide was already on the big list. You're thinking more along the lines of willfully driving a species to extinction.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thread, I would like to present yet another exhibit in this war trial. The following videos will provide the evidence needed to prove that the defendent, Donkey Kong, is the true war criminal of the Kong Islands.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat came out for the Gamecube in 2005 and used a very special controller as its primary method of controlling the game. Namely, it used the DK Bongos controller that Nintendo had made for their Donkey Konga rhythm game series.

You'd think using a rhythm game controller with just two buttons and a clap sensor to control a platformer with a decently high skill ceiling would go poorly and yet, I can't imagine playing the game without it. Once you get the hang of using the controller, you'll find yourself able to pull off all sorts of stylish tricks and combos to get the highest banana scores and do...whatever it is DK is looking to accomplish. The game never really makes it clear what the plot is and neither does the game's manual. Best we can figure, DK has set his eyes on becoming King of the Jungle and he'll beat up anything and everything in his path to accomplish that. Maybe even establish his banana hoard at the same time.

Join myself, Artix, and some rotating guests for a fun ride as we watch DK establish his dominion over the kingdoms on land, in the sea, the air, and maybe even in space too.

World 1 - with guests Blastinus and Ryushikaze
World 2-1 - with guests Blastinus and poorlywritten
World 2-2 - with guests Blastinus and poorlywritten
World 3-1 - with guests poorlywritten and Ryushikaze
World 3-2 - with guest Ryushikaze
World 4-1 - with guest poorlywritten
World 4-2 - with guest Tyty

FPzero fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 21, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

:stonk:

Every face he makes is a warcrime.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
"Few records remain of the Sengokong Era of DK Island, which began when Donkey Kong deposed his evil uncle Dread Kong as ruler of the Banana Kingdom, but historians all agree that growing up in the shadow of his uncle's tyranny did little to preserve the young Kong's mind. While he promised his followers freedom and equality when he led the revolution, we know now that he was merely planning the first stages of a war that would soon span to every corner of the island..."

Libra Kong, DK Island: The First Kong-tastrophe, published 103AK.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FPzero posted:

Thread, I would like to present Exhibit D in this war trial. The following videos will provide the evidence needed to prove that the defendent, Donkey Kong, is the true war criminal of the Kong Islands.

Jungle beat is pretty rad, but the bongos are extremely loving loud and obnoxious.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
the gently caress is happening with the enemy design this game
did one two many industrial levels mutate the wildlife? Oh wait, we're treating this as a prequel. So BEFORE dk became ruler the wildlife was bizarre monstrosities or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

the gently caress is happening with the enemy design this game
did one two many industrial levels mutate the wildlife? Oh wait, we're treating this as a prequel. So BEFORE dk became ruler the wildlife was bizarre monstrosities or something.

This is the beginning of DK's Purge of the jungle. Suffer not the mutant to live.

INSIDER INFO, COOL KIDS ONLY: This is actually where the "DK is a war criminal" meme came from. It was kicked around in one form or another among our LP group before, but it really crystallized during FP's Jungle Beat stream.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 29, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Grapplejack posted:

Jungle beat is pretty rad, but the bongos are extremely loving loud and obnoxious.

The bongos you hear are an ingame sound effect and I cannot do anything about them. They are not the sounds of me slamming the bongo controller with almighty gusto.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FPzero posted:

The bongos you hear are an ingame sound effect and I cannot do anything about them. They are not the sounds of me slamming the bongo controller with almighty gusto.

Oh I know, I mean the bongo controller itself. That fucker is obscenely loud and it kinda takes away from the game since it drowns out everything else when you're hitting it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Oh I know, I mean the bongo controller itself. That fucker is obscenely loud and it kinda takes away from the game since it drowns out everything else when you're hitting it.

You should have heard the live stream he did of JB. It was basically a nonstop CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK :suicide:

Thank god for audio editing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What's the better name for that elephant, Metal Trunk or Ivory Gear?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I thought Donkey Kong was ruler because he is best at the law of the jungle. But then he got those those moon crests, and the answer became clear- he rules by divine right of kings. Who knew that someone with just a band of monkey bards as his original troops could become such a feared war criminal?

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 29, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: Oh man, Jungle Beats is amazing. FPzero managed to be pretty drat stylish there.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Jungle Beats tired my wrists out. I'm kind of curious to see how it progresses, since I don't think I ever got involved past the first world.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what are those loving pineapples

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bruceski posted:

What's the better name for that elephant, Metal Trunk or Ivory Gear?

Metal Ear?!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Secret Seclusion :siren:

And that's it for the main game! We'll polish off DKC3 and Jungle Beat in the next month or so, and that's gonna be it for this thread.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

World 7 of Tropical Freeze didn't take me nearly as much time as Volcano in Returns. :colbert: Also I really like the touch that Dixie's roll animation is the same spin thing as in the SNES games.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Cranky Kong is obviously Roshi, not King Kai.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I just remember getting through those levels and being sorely disappointed at the lack of some sort of special genocide ending like in the Rare games.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
So then was the secret world the inspiration for Dragon Driftway in Mario Kart, or is that just a coincidence?

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

I gotta say, without having played the game before myself, despite the complexity and apparent mechanical difficulty of the world 7 levels, it actually looked really fair! I'm considering picking up the game myself now. It looks like it really hits that sweet spot in difficulty where you don't necessarily feel punished or cheated when you die, you just feel the need to get better.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Black Balloon posted:

I'm considering picking up the game myself now.

You picked a good time to consider it! In a few weeks, the first wave of Nintendo Selects for Wii U is launching and this game (along with the other Retro DKC games) is going to be :20bux:!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, now that Tropical Freeze is over, it's time for that :siren::siren:THREAD POLL:siren::siren: I promised.

Each and every vote gets a free forums upgrade package worth :20bux: paid for by Blind Sally.

Vote early and vote often.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I was going to say if people wanted to see a run of DK64 to check out Dazzling Adar's LP of in in the archive but alas it's fallen into the internet memory hole.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Mooseontheloose posted:

I was going to say if people wanted to see a run of DK64 to check out Dazzling Adar's LP of in in the archive but alas it's fallen into the internet memory hole.

What? It's right here.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What would Funky's Ace Style be when he's flying? I mean i totally imagine he'd be Soldier if he was flying for DK Island but i have to imagine he'd be Mercenary otherwise.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

YAY! On the archive all the links are dead.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mooseontheloose posted:

YAY! On the archive all the links are dead.

It's easy to miss (since it looks kinda like an ad), but next time you think that an LP on the archive is dead, check to make sure that there isn't a red banner near the top of the page that says "This LP is also available on the Internet Archive!" Not all of them are, but the DK64 LP is, so it would be available even if Dazzling Addar hadn't uploaded it to youtube.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ometeotl posted:

Cranky Kong is obviously Roshi, not King Kai.

Old man who mentored the monkey hero at one point, and, after several years of not doing anything, out of nowhere joins in battle and proves to be surprisingly and unrealistically competent. Cranky is undeniably Master Roshi. Can't wait for Resurrection "K".

Also the idea of DK having a Flying Nimbus actually irks me. Those only let people pure of heart ride them, and DK is an absolute monster with no regards to any sort of life, who will gladly murder friend and foe alike for his goals of domination and bananas.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Old man who mentored the monkey hero at one point, and, after several years of not doing anything, out of nowhere joins in battle and proves to be surprisingly and unrealistically competent. Cranky is undeniably Master Roshi. Can't wait for Resurrection "K".

Also the idea of DK having a Flying Nimbus actually irks me. Those only let people pure of heart ride them, and DK is an absolute monster with no regards to any sort of life, who will gladly murder friend and foe alike for his goals of domination and bananas.

Okay, I admit defeat, Cranky really is more Roshi than King Kai.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

His heart is pure. Pure evil.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Sgt Thud posted:

His heart is pure. Pure badass.

Fixed that for ya Sgt Thud.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And at the end of the first day of polling, DK has eked out a narrow lead over shooting Scolar Visari in the face with first Goku coming in a distant third. Nobody seems to like third Goku, though I've been informed by Novel that third Goku is actually Dragon Ball GT Goku, so that would explain a few things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
when's dk64

• Locked thread