Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Pinball Wizard posted:

wait why is shark tank filtered

Its the "cuck" of the games forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
lol

https://twitter.com/naturaln0va/status/702938728977666048

http://link.techcrunch.com/click/61...8b4d78Be274c82d

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i agree w the subliminal message btw

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

a dick with more girth is always a good idea imo

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

mishaq posted:

jesus

meanwhile the brown school district in the next town over probably doesn't even have enough textbooks for every student

it isn't just the brown school districts that have that problem, not that you'd want texas school books in the first place. the state school board wrote books where there were no such things as slaves just guest workers

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Texas is a fail state and people who think Austin is good are addicted to the feeling of constant rear end-sweat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna visit pram irl and see what texan computing is all
about

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Texas is a fail state and people who think Austin is good are addicted to the feeling of constant rear end-sweat

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm so loving hard for the iPhone SE. waiting another 3 weeks is gonna suck. and macrumors reporting a 50% price cut of the already effectively flawless iPhone 5s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i bet the second I buy a 5s though itll be an old peice of garbage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress man don't tell me that I was hoping to upgrade to it in a few years time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's the best iPhone ever made, you should buy one today

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a 6s after using an 5s for two years. It's fine.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've had a 6s for a month and have already noticed micro-scratches on the camera lens. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have it protrude out but if they're going to design iphones to be in a case, they might as well bundle it with one.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Larry Parrish posted:

I've had a 6s for a month and have already noticed micro-scratches on the camera lens. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have it protrude out but if they're going to design iphones to be in a case, they might as well bundle it with one.

how the gently caress are you scratching the camera lens?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Linux Rig posted:

When I set it on a table face-up

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

My Linux Rig posted:

it's made of sapphire so he's not

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

The Management posted:

maybe his table is diamonds?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

this is the only Austin I can conscientiously endorse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

when someone tells me that they take clonazepam and it makes them angry I believe them not my preconceived ideas
of what is possible or likely

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hard crystals are difficult to abrade but they aren't magical plasteel from sci-fi books, you know. Dust gets on the lens and eventually friction will score it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
actually, transparent aluminum was brought back by scotty from star trek so it is a scifi material on your smart telephone

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
sapphire is Al 2 O 3, i used to make it for dram capacitor dialectric, it is easy to make (relatively).

titanium nitride on the other hand builds up on the inside of the cvd chamber and cleaning it off required we have a bunch of tubes with the stuff that, if you expose it to anything that can burn, immediately ignites, and if you pour sand on the fire, it BURNS HARDER.

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time

quote:

it is, of course, extremely toxic, but that’s the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals-steel, copper, aluminium, etc.-because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminium keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 29, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

this is the only Austin I can conscientiously endorse

good work endorsing domestic violence

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Larry Parrish posted:

Hard crystals are difficult to abrade but they aren't magical plasteel from sci-fi books, you know. Dust gets on the lens and eventually friction will score it

yes, it can be scratched, especially if you transport tungsten carbide in your pocket. in practice long exposure to sand particles (particularly the quartz crystals) could scratch it. but... by the time your lens is scratched from sufficient contact with sand, the rest of your phone would have been so scratched up that the screen would be an unreadable translucent blob and the metal would be all hosed up. in normal use this is unlikely.

I guess what I'm saying is don't put your phone in a rock tumbler

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Nevermind that most cameras are not particularly sensitive to scratches on their front elements. Lensrentals.com did a pretty good write up, but it looks like the pictures are broken. Suffice to say, they took a lens with a huge crack in the front element and noticed some ghosting and loss of contrast, but the lens still produced ok images.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 29, 2016

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kwinkles posted:

sapphire is Al 2 O 3, i used to make it for dram capacitor dialectric, it is easy to make (relatively).

titanium nitride on the other hand builds up on the inside of the cvd chamber and cleaning it off required we have a bunch of tubes with the stuff that, if you expose it to anything that can burn, immediately ignites, and if you pour sand on the fire, it BURNS HARDER.

http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time

lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

boo yea. judge in new york rules against the government

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/technology/apple-wins-ruling-in-new-york-iphone-hacking-order.html

https://twitter.com/AlexanderAbdo/status/704430179649724416

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh cool an article AND a tweet

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

this judge is a major apple fanboy and owns incredibly hard

https://twitter.com/elizabeth_joh/status/704439253736882176

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
here's the whole order if you want to read it. i'd expect that the rest of the requests to apple will be followed by something similar.

https://epic.org/amicus/crypto/apple/Orenstein-Order-Apple-iPhone-02292016.pdf

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nah apple's just waiting for the media cycle to move on and then they'll comply with the order and every subsequent one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why waste a good precedent? if a judge has decided you don't have to obey the government if their request is too inconvenient, who is tim to argue?

no sense running a software dev team just for the feds if they don't need to

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wait is the drug case iphone request the same keypad entry erase feature the fbi wants or is it a request to unlock an older version of iOS like iOS 7 where the key is around in memory unencrypted unless rebooted? iirc only ios 8 trashes the key when you look the phone?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stymie posted:

nah apple's just waiting for the media cycle to move on and then they'll comply with the order and every subsequent one

quote:

“You have had apparently 70 prior instances where you have not taken the steps available to you,” Judge Orenstein said to Apple’s lawyers during a hearing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tim is only pretending to fight the man to get more money out of the tech slave crowd for the soon to underperform iPhone sales on the upcoming model

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the judgement itself is quite interesting and the reasoning wouldn't change if the charge was terrorism instead

we'll see what the California judge rules, hopefully the same way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i hope the government nationalizes apple in response to all this

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

the judgement itself is quite interesting and the reasoning wouldn't change if the charge was terrorism instead

we'll see what the California judge rules, hopefully the same way

he's actually retarded and believes saying "terrorism" magically makes the government get whatever they want

in reality orenstein delivered 50 pages of the most brutal owning of the DoJ ever. it's as if an apple lawyer wrote it all and he just signed his name at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the word "absurd" appears 9 times in his ruling lmao

• Locked thread