Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Squizzle posted:

All right, I've been playing with RCP's demographics and turnout 2016 calculator, and I'm pretty sure reality has stumped Trump for the general. I'm phoneposting, and all these pictures are screenshots from my phone that I've tried to crop and resize so they won't look too hilariously huge on a normal computer. Sorry if they still look weird.

Here's a somewhat realistic scenario, but with assumptions made to benefit the GOP:

I kept Black turnout lower and less Democratic than the historical highs for both in the Obama elections. I assume a very gentle increase (48% to 50%) in Hispanic turnout, and that Trump not only fails to galvanize Hispanic opposition, but returns Hispanic voter support for the GOP to about 2004 levels. Other minority groups also like Trump, but don't break for him as an absolute majority. I depressed their turnout here because my rule for this scenario was that if a group didn't go majority Trump, I should assume reduced turnout. (It's supposed to be a Republican-skewed scenario, remember.)

Even with all of this, plus meaningfully increased white turnout, Trump loses if Hillary wins less than one percent more of the white vote than President Obama's lowest-in-modern-history share from 2012. Here are the turnout and Republican vote share trend lines for comparison:

But what if things break even more Trumpward? Let's assume that this election breaks barriers in weird, historic ways.

Even if Trump does unprecedentedly well as a Republican among all minority voters, drives supporter turnout like nothing anyone has ever seen in modernity, and every group that doesn't break Trump has depressed turnout—then Hillary still can win if she carries about an Obama '08 share of the white electorate.

Here are how the trend lines look for this one:

But what if The Donald is literally a sorcerer?

Still stumpable.

Hey thanks for the excellent post. So is the tl;dr basically "this election is up to whether whites vote Trump or let Hillary win?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Squizzle posted:

Even if Trump does unprecedentedly well as a Republican among all minority voters, drives supporter turnout like nothing anyone has ever seen in modernity, and every group that doesn't break Trump has depressed turnout—then Hillary still can win if she carries about an Obama '08 share of the white electorate.

She won't, though. There's a reason Obama beat her last cycle, and it wasn't just the minority vote.

I mean yeah statistically she's still the odds-on favorite to win but it's by no means a given that she'll match Obama's share of anything.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
What happened in the last 24 hours that this thread is over 1k posts? All I saw was the Sessions endorsement.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

User posted:

I don't actually disagree with you, once you make the mental leap that the USA sets all of its own accounting rules, and all payments happen on a computer system. The liability will be placed on Mexico's side of the ledger and some offsetting asset will be created somewhere, and yeah there will probably be politicking to give Mexican politicians something compelling to tell their citizens.

look, man, when i said it's possible, i meant via some fuckery with nafta and imposing tariffs or the like. there is absolutely no chance of us simply adding to mexican sovereign debt owed to the united states in the way you've described. this is so far outside the realm of the possible that i'm surprised you even considered it as an option. the number one reason is that one major reason we are trusted as the world's reserve currency and so much foreign investment is in US t-bills is that we have never unilaterally monkeyed around with our balance of assets and debts like that. if we did the global aftershocks would be massive, it would make the great recession look like the roaring 20s. there's no way we'd walk away from that as the world's reserve currency. i was thinking in terms of countervailing tariffs being laid against US goods until we came to our senses, but if we really just went in and tinkered with the balance sheet the result would be the complete thermonuclear annihilation of the US economy as we experienced a kind of, i guess you'd call it flight-from-quality.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Gnumonic posted:

I'm not a Trump supporter, but I have a hard time believing that he couldn't just browbeat Mexico into paying for the wall and no one except Mexico would really care all that much.

What about the rest of Latin America / the Caribbean? There's a lot of trade at risk and a lot of resources the US would like to get their hands on, and I'd imagine our "yeah well gently caress you, neighborino" tough guy stance wouldn't sit well.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Still stumpable.

Why do you think white support for Trump declines as turnout increases? If anything it'd be the other way around -- a lot of politically disaffected poor whites are being rallied by Trump.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CortezFantastic posted:

What happened in the last 24 hours that this thread is over 1k posts? All I saw was the Sessions endorsement.

Rubio's put some new material in his standup set.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

CortezFantastic posted:

Rubio hit Trump on the fingers thing and Rubio made some ill-advised hints at his long-ago night in the park in Florida. Also Joementum surrendered to Trump.

Anyway:

Senator Ben Sasse, R-NE posted:

Mr. Trump’s relentless focus is on dividing Americans, and on tearing down rather than building back up this glorious nation. Much like President Obama, he displays essentially no understanding of the fact that, in the American system, we have a constitutional system of checks and balances, with three separate but co-equal branches of government. And the task of public officials is to be public “servants.” The law is king, and the people are boss. But have you noticed how Mr. Trump uses the word “Reign” – like he thinks he’s running for King? It’s creepy, actually. Nebraskans are not looking for a king. We yearn instead for the recovery of a Constitutional Republic.
Now, let’s talk about political parties: parties are just tools to enact the things that we believe. Political parties are not families; they are not religions; they are not nations – they are often not even on the level of sports loyalties. They are just tools. I was not born Republican. I chose this party, for as long as it is useful.

If our Party is no longer working for the things we believe in – like defending the sanctity of life, stopping ObamaCare, protecting the Second Amendment, etc. – then people of good conscience should stop supporting that party until it is reformed.

This is not an easy statement to walk back. Worth remembering that Senator Dr. Ben Sasse, Ph.D. (History, Yale), has pretensions of being the intellectual head of the Republican Senate caucus and probably despises Trump in more ways than one. It'll be interesting if he keeps up the third-party chatter when the general starts.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Squizzle posted:

All right, I've been playing with RCP's demographics and turnout 2016 calculator, and I'm pretty sure reality has stumped Trump for the general. I'm phoneposting, and all these pictures are screenshots from my phone that I've tried to crop and resize so they won't look too hilariously huge on a normal computer. Sorry if they still look weird.

Here's a somewhat realistic scenario, but with assumptions made to benefit the GOP:

I kept Black turnout lower and less Democratic than the historical highs for both in the Obama elections. I assume a very gentle increase (48% to 50%) in Hispanic turnout, and that Trump not only fails to galvanize Hispanic opposition, but returns Hispanic voter support for the GOP to about 2004 levels. Other minority groups also like Trump, but don't break for him as an absolute majority. I depressed their turnout here because my rule for this scenario was that if a group didn't go majority Trump, I should assume reduced turnout. (It's supposed to be a Republican-skewed scenario, remember.)

Even with all of this, plus meaningfully increased white turnout, Trump loses if Hillary wins less than one percent more of the white vote than President Obama's lowest-in-modern-history share from 2012. Here are the turnout and Republican vote share trend lines for comparison:

But what if things break even more Trumpward? Let's assume that this election breaks barriers in weird, historic ways.

Here are how the trend lines look for this one:

Still stumpable.

If the race is that close, I would expect Iowa to be very close, or likely flipping to Trump. I'm kind of confused about the maps that show R's winning all of the swing states but D's somewhat comfortably winning Iowa.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Majorian posted:

What's amazing about that part of the equation is that you know it would begin the second Trump was elected anyway, unless he immediately started walking his rhetoric back.
You're going to hear increasing rumbles from the rest of the world the moment Trump officially becomes the GOP nominee.

I've got no idea how much that would help or hurt his election chances in the general, given him being there in the first place is already totally nuts.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brannock posted:

Why do you think white support for Trump declines as turnout increases? If anything it'd be the other way around -- a lot of politically disaffected poor whites are being rallied by Trump.

I'm not certain this accounts for all of it, but it's important to keep in mind that the white share of the vote is less now than it was in 2008.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CortezFantastic posted:

drowning our denial in shitposts

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

You're going to hear increasing rumbles from the rest of the world the moment Trump officially becomes the GOP nominee.

I've got no idea how much that would help or hurt his election chances in the general, given him being there in the first place is already totally nuts.

I'm hoping basically every country in the world will sit down with Obama and say, "Okay, dude, not all of us like you and you don't like all of us, but let's hash some poo poo out to make sure this clown doesn't win."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Majorian posted:

I'm not certain this accounts for all of it, but it's important to keep in mind that the white share of the vote is less now than it was in 2008.

Well his charts have specifically the white support for Trump going from 59% to 56% to 54% as turnout increases from whites.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

if you are a nation that, like most nations on earth, engages in extensive trade and both holds some debt of most of your trade partners and has some of your debt held by them, and one of your trade partners unilaterally decides that one of its other partners owes it hundreds of millions of dollars more, you move all of your money out of that country as fast as loving possible, because what if they decide tomorrow that they don't owe you anything? or you owe them twice as much? you can't possibly trust them to maintain their balance sheet since they've already shown that they're willing to break it when they feel like it, and they're so much larger than you that you can't possibly counteract them with your own foreign debt holdings. you are also capable of political cooperation with similar countries. and now here's another major country with a huge economy, offering to pick up some of your debt and offering you a safe place to rest your investment income.

pictured: xi jinping's office five minutes after the us announcement that we made mexico pay for the wall:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody cares bitch. TRUMP

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brannock posted:

Well his charts have specifically the white support for Trump going from 59% to 56% to 54% as turnout increases from whites.

That's a good question; I don't have an answer for that one, unfortunately.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Brannock posted:

I should have said this in the post, but I was setting white support for Trump to the highest I could, out to a reasonable number of decimal places, with Hillary still winning. I wanted to see how poorly the Democratic candidate could afford do among white voters, if the "Trump changes everything for the GOP among minorities, while also driving white enthusiasm!" rhetoric was true.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Majorian posted:

I'm hoping basically every country in the world will sit down with Obama and say, "Okay, dude, not all of us like you and you don't like all of us, but let's hash some poo poo out to make sure this clown doesn't win."
U.N.: "gently caress it, we're moving back to Geneva".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

"The Swiss are less racist. Do you hear me, America? The Swiss are less racist than you."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

How have you not seen their videos before? The political ones get posted in D&D all the time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Much like the desert is a wall, the Rio Grande is a moat for a pretty significant part of the border. I just don't get why people (not you) don't understand that border crossing is a feat and the challenge of a new wall wouldn't make a huge difference in the numbers. It's a prop.

In 2000 the Rio Grande failed to reach the coast.

I crossed in in 2002 by foot pretty easily in west texas.

It still has problems where it gets really low and slow.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Trapezium Dave posted:

We'll melt the steel of the UN headquarters for the foundation of the wall.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

We'll melt the steel of the UN headquarters for the foundation of the wall.

It'll get half-built, then abandoned, melted down again, and turned into a giant statue of Der Trumpenfuhrer.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I live right next to the Rio, way up north mind you but still, and it's a pretty shallow river along huge swathes of its length. It's ankle high in a lot of spots.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Now that this primary is winding down, what amazes me compared to 2008, at least, and maybe to a certain extent 2012 as well, is how finished a lot of these candidates seem to be. Jeb will almost certainly never again pursue office. He'll be reluctant to even show his face in public again. Cruz's entire existence seems superfluous now that he's taken on his party directly and failed. Rubio might not be completely done, but he certainly has embarrassed himself far too seriously to make a credible run in 2020. This entire primary has just been a meat grinder of prominent Republicans. All their up-and-coming talent is tainted now.

Compare to 2008, where Romney and Huckabee escaped with plenty of dignity. Romney had no problem jumping back into the fray in 2012 and seeming like he belonged. Huckabee took some time on the pundit/grifter circuit, but his 3rd place finish (or maybe he ended 2nd in delegates because he stuck around so long) didn't really seem to hurt his image. His brand was made more valuable by his run.

I sure do not see that in this cycle. Walker got out early enough that his humiliation was relatively modest. He came off looking like a lightweight. Not the end of the world. But everyone who stuck around to fight ended up in rough shape.

It's exciting to see the wheels coming off the Republican party like this. I hope they have no one they can even pretend is electable in 2020.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Just having fun playing around with the RCP calculator: it seems that all else being equal to 2012, the Democratic candidate would have to win 63% of the white vote in order to complete a 538–0 sweep and be unanimously elected president. Wyoming is the last holdout.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

She won't, though. There's a reason Obama beat her last cycle, and it wasn't just the minority vote.

I mean yeah statistically she's still the odds-on favorite to win but it's by no means a given that she'll match Obama's share of anything.

Not being black probably does earn her at least half a point higher share of the white vote than he got.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Gyges posted:

Not being black probably does earn her at least half a point higher share of the white vote than he got.

Assuming that she brings white voters back, yes. I wonder how many will be eager to jump back on board.

I also wonder what she loses in terms of national pv by virtue of being a woman?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

Statistically, Obama lost about 5% of the white vote overall due to race, from the studies that have been done on that.

The question is what percentage Hillary's going to lose due to misogyny / personal dislike of Hillary. There are a LOT of people who Just Don't Like Her.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I actually think Bush has a recent shot at the nomination in 2020. Clinton would have won in this scenario, so he can play the I Told You So card, and four years is enough time to burnish his resume, find better staff and coach to hide the dorkiness, which won't be nearly as bad absent Trump.

Rubio will be governing Florida and waiting until 2024. Kasich might make a go of it, Cruz too.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

look, man, when i said it's possible, i meant via some fuckery with nafta and imposing tariffs or the like. there is absolutely no chance of us simply adding to mexican sovereign debt owed to the united states in the way you've described. this is so far outside the realm of the possible that i'm surprised you even considered it as an option. the number one reason is that one major reason we are trusted as the world's reserve currency and so much foreign investment is in US t-bills is that we have never unilaterally monkeyed around with our balance of assets and debts like that. if we did the global aftershocks would be massive, it would make the great recession look like the roaring 20s. there's no way we'd walk away from that as the world's reserve currency. i was thinking in terms of countervailing tariffs being laid against US goods until we came to our senses, but if we really just went in and tinkered with the balance sheet the result would be the complete thermonuclear annihilation of the US economy as we experienced a kind of, i guess you'd call it flight-from-quality.

We already did this. It was called a bank bailout and it was like 7 trillion dollars. No one will even notice a billion here or there over 10 years.

Flight from quality requires an alternative. What are you going to flee to? No matter what horse poo poo our central bankers pull, the USD is still the standard because it's a better option than the alternatives.

You're thinking about this intelligently though, that's good. Realize what's operative isn't "reserve currency status" which is operationally meaningless nonsense brought to you by the same people who explain things with "animal spirits" but rather being the sovereign currency of a country whose economic output is about a quarter of the global total and has an above average track record for political stability.

User fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 29, 2016

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Squizzle. I think you are underestimating how many democrats, especially the younger generations, are going to sit this one out if Hillary is the nominee. Look at the turnouts for each parties respective primaries. Elections are all about motivation.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Would Paul Ryan run in 2020?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

Iirc TPP overrides some NAFTA stuff and expands it generally so you'd have to get rid of that too.

TPP won't pass even if Hillary gets elected

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The United States spending on its own account is a bit different to summarily stealing from Mexico for extremely obvious reasons.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Not at all. That's why I know Trump is really insecure and doesn't actually have a very good sense of humor about himself.

Majorian, you come across as a bit of a weiner, you know. Its almost like you don't even want to make America great again.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Base Camp Blanket posted:

It's exciting to see the wheels coming off the Republican party like this. I hope they have no one they can even pretend is electable in 2020.

It's very exciting and we've all known this day would come ever since someone ran babby's first demographics projection stats but Jesus Christ this better result in the best-case scenario (we get an actual center-right party and an actual center-left party) and not the worst-case scenario (the GOP gets replaced with something smaller but much, much worse) or one of the more plausible scenarios (the GOP continue to ruthlessly obstruct absolutely everything in a rage thanks to gerrymandering; the Dems get even lazier and basically start to replace the GOP).

This situation seems unprecedented so it's difficult to see what's going to happen is all.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Base Camp Blanket posted:

Now that this primary is winding down, what amazes me compared to 2008, at least, and maybe to a certain extent 2012 as well, is how finished a lot of these candidates seem to be. Jeb will almost certainly never again pursue office. He'll be reluctant to even show his face in public again. Cruz's entire existence seems superfluous now that he's taken on his party directly and failed. Rubio might not be completely done, but he certainly has embarrassed himself far too seriously to make a credible run in 2020. This entire primary has just been a meat grinder of prominent Republicans. All their up-and-coming talent is tainted now.

Compare to 2008, where Romney and Huckabee escaped with plenty of dignity. Romney had no problem jumping back into the fray in 2012 and seeming like he belonged. Huckabee took some time on the pundit/grifter circuit, but his 3rd place finish (or maybe he ended 2nd in delegates because he stuck around so long) didn't really seem to hurt his image. His brand was made more valuable by his run.

I sure do not see that in this cycle. Walker got out early enough that his humiliation was relatively modest. He came off looking like a lightweight. Not the end of the world. But everyone who stuck around to fight ended up in rough shape.

They won't need to run anybody else when Trump is incumbent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

L-Boned posted:

Squizzle. I think you are underestimating how many democrats, especially the younger generations, are going to sit this one out if Hillary is the nominee. Look at the turnouts for each parties respective primaries. Elections are all about motivation.

College students don't vote anyway and the Bernouts will get over it by the time November and the Spectre of Il Douche roll around.

• Locked thread