Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's surprising, given Japan's track record of racial harmony and acceptance of other cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
"sb sb sb sb"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hey man that's Chinese

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tequila Sunrise posted:

On Japanese Beta server the only toxicity I found was when I would speak English, sometimes people would say "Go back to Korea!". Even when I'd say "I'm an American living in Japan" they'd just say "gently caress u korean get off this server".

I have a friend living in the Middle East in who's playing on the Turkey-region servers with the name "kurdishstate". He's a braver man than I.

Servaetes posted:

I had a couple of friends that played Japanese MMOs the racism is pretty rampant against non-Japanese to the point that attempting to speak in romanji, nevermind english carried a huge stigma so it's not super surprising to hear that about League honestly.

Anyone who played FFXI can probably tell you a tale or two of the hilariously obvious racism and de facto separation of Japanese players from Western players. They've switched to a region-locked model in FFXIV, which is probably for the best, all things considered.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I know, and I love having it spammed at me

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I have played with the Chinese in a MOBA exactly one (1) time, back in the HoN days. I don't speak a loving word of Mandarin, so we communicated through frantic pings and vague sounds of acceptance through in-game voice comm. We eventually beat the poo poo out of some idiots spamming "ching chong" in chat, so that was pretty okay. I am proud to be an unofficial part of the 5000 years of continuous Chinese civilization.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
congrats you guys figured out why southeast asia continues to be like 9 separate servers all smaller than tr/ru/oce

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

congrats you guys figured out why southeast asia continues to be like 9 separate servers all smaller than tr/ru/oce

I wish the FFXIV server was that chopped up. I don't want to have to connect to servers in goddamn Montreal!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Primetime posted:

I've been playing a good amount of rumble jungle this patch and while his E change feels fantastic for managing heat, he still falls off super hard in extended games.

At some point his ult stops 100-0ing people and gets harder to hit in fights and his optimal build / heat mechanic means in late game fights he's both super squishy and only gets to use 2-3 abilities before overheating and being useless. Hopefully the mage rework gives him some broken new items with non-mana cdr or better tank/ap choices otherwise I think he'll always just be ok

I assume Rumble's real main problem is that he is in the odd category of "Lane bully who can no longer damage opponent after first back"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I love that the strongest possible lane bully you can be in top lane at the moment is some useless piece of poo poo with a ton of resists and grasp of the undying

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

I love that the strongest possible lane bully you can be in top lane at the moment is some useless piece of poo poo with a ton of resists and grasp of the undying

And a big space helmet and anchor

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Although Nautilus is at his most powerful in the mid lane with a top Lulu and support Janna to protect him

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Pobelter legit played mid Naut the other day, all of this has happened before and will happen again

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One of my favorite players, Doinb, played mid Naut last season. He also played mid Maokai in the fabled "Juggertree" lineup which was far superior to the Juggermaw.

He played both champs full tank in the mid lane.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

HELP ME

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
^^^ have you tried winning the game

anyone who plays top nautlius deserves the same fate as malphite players: torture forever

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 29, 2016

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Verviticus posted:

anyone who plays top nautlius deserves the same fate as malphite players: torture forever
Please don't be rude about my good friend Nautilius.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Verviticus posted:

^^^ have you tried winning the game

there are 3 zzrots and 1 banner

I don't play Starcraft I don't know how to deal with this.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Christ, is this what I've been doing to people?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Good games tonight goons :)

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So pretty much every name will be open tomorrow on the Japanese server, save stupid fake-streamer names. What should I go with? What is the best name in The League of Legends.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Tequila Sunrise posted:

So pretty much every name will be open tomorrow on the Japanese server, save stupid fake-streamer names. What should I go with? What is the best name in The League of Legends.

Dokdo.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Caster minion. Pikachu. League of Legends. League of Legend. Challenger. Master. Japan deserved it. hiroshima 1945

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh Christ, what is the actual character limit? I could tank my JP League career from day one if I could get something like 'DokdoBelongs2Korea".

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Angry Comfort Woman. Remember Nanjing. Unit 731. Battle of Midway.

There's so many options.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
pixelated genitals

stump collector
May 28, 2007
panty claw machine

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
Corki-only account named Enola Gay.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think "A Nuclear Bomb" would be good and probably not get me banned.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Alris posted:

Corki-only account named Enola Gay.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Consenting Nanking

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Impeach Shinzō Abe. Capitulate to China.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Servaetes posted:

I had a couple of friends that played Japanese MMOs the racism is pretty rampant against non-Japanese to the point that attempting to speak in romanji, nevermind english carried a huge stigma so it's not super surprising to hear that about League honestly.

strange, the japanese people I speak to on league are interested in learning English, treat me with extreme kindness, have gotten on skype before...

...and are actually better players than me at 100 some ping :v:

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Tojo Did Nothing Wrong

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!
It's probably a lot better now but having played FFXI back in the day I can confirm the attitude of a lot of Japanese at the time was generally unhospitable to foreigners, and it was very common for Japanese players to have "JP ONLY" in their search messages . Good luck getting into a party with them unless you were a healer/support type and they were desperate, and you'd better be a quick learner because there was next to no chance they'd bother using the (very good at the time) auto-translate commands to attempt communication.

This attitude was for several reasons:

1. Communication purposes. They wanted to play with Japanese players and shoot the poo poo with Japanese players, nothing against english-only speakers.
2. The game launched in Japan several months ahead of NA, and a lot of them saw the new wave of players bring with them goldfarmers, increased competition for large monsters as well as unscrupulous activities on the part of some newcomers to sabotage large monster fights, and the usual racist poo poo that kids in MMOs are keen to spout at anyone in particular. I honestly feel this is kind of a cover for personal biases against non-japanese, as Goldfarmers were inevitable as the game expanded, Japanese players were doing devious poo poo in terms of claiming monsters long after NA's entered the scene, and just as much racist poo poo was thrown back non-JP's by shithead teens from the other side.
3. Japanese attitudes to computer gaming and the internet were behind what the rest of the world was doing for a long time. It was predominantly a console market, and this was a new type of game where whether they liked it or not they had to share. Plenty chose to keep to closed groups and keep non-JP's out, which whether intentional or not came off as hostility.

Japanese online gaming has come a long way since then, but like any online game there are going to be shitheads. Hopefully the JP League Server has a mute function.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Koizumi did 9/11

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
A Hideo Kojima Production

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Alris posted:

Corki-only account named Hiroshima Big One

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
Brand only account named Tokyo Firestorm ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Nagasaki Fat Man

because it's actually you, Tequila Sunrise :iceburn:

• Locked thread