Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The U.S. M6 Heavy and T29 are easily obtainable and fun tanks.
The tier 8 is a roadbump unless you sling lots of APCR, but regular tier 8 sucks balls for everyone and after that it's the M103/110E5 gravy train :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Hellsau posted:

The Japanese heavies are ridiculously overpowered from tier 5 to tier 7. The earlier tiers are hilariously bad (particularly the tier 4) and the higher tiers are also bad (particularly the tier 10).

Wait so the O-Ni is worth getting? I've been running around with the O-I derping everything, it's worth moving up?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Scapegoat posted:

Wait so the O-Ni is worth getting? I've been running around with the O-I derping everything, it's worth moving up?

Depends on if you want to train another Japanese crew or if you want another tier seven tank. The O-I is great and the line heads straight into the garbage after the tier seven so don't expect any further progress to be rewarded with anything except pain.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

sauer kraut posted:

The U.S. M6 Heavy and T29 are easily obtainable and fun tanks.
The tier 8 is a roadbump unless you sling lots of APCR, but regular tier 8 sucks balls for everyone and after that it's the M103/110E5 gravy train :toot:

The M6 only gets fun after you get the top tier 90mm gun and the engine. At that point it starts to own real hard.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Scapegoat posted:

Yeah, the O-Ni's front armor is solid enough that you can often just sit there and eat shells like popcorn and :killdozer: over everything. Sides are still paper though and some stuff will still blow right through even the front, but if you can position yourself well the thing can take a hell of a beating.

EDIT:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 29, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ramsus posted:

I don't think you can go wrong with US, German, or Soviet heavy lines. The end results are all good except for the IS4 and Maus. But French is difficult/frustrating in pub games, and the japanese end result is a garbage truck.

Germans take a bit of skill to play well, Soviets are the ultimate rush in and cave in faces branch.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

China heavy line for 7-9 is actually the best heavy line to play.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Actually the tier 10 is also pretty good now that it got buffed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

WitchFetish posted:

Actually the tier 10 is also pretty good now that it got buffed.

*hellsau's head pops off like a 113 turret and flames start spewing out his neck*

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Prav posted:

*hellsau's head pops off like a 113 turret and flames start spewing out his neck*

I was truly a fool for railing against the 113 for so long. Now not enough goons have them. If we all had 113s getting that loving module damage mission would be really easy!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I was truly a fool for railing against the 113 for so long. Now not enough goons have them. If we all had 113s getting that loving module damage mission would be really easy!

I hope it's the next On Track after this interminable FV4202 bullshit. :allears:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

I hope it's the next On Track after this interminable FV4202 bullshit. :allears:

The On-Track should be starting tomorrow on the first, right? Anyone checked the ingame specials to see if we get a spoiler?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The On-Track should be starting tomorrow on the first, right? Anyone checked the ingame specials to see if we get a spoiler?

I have no idea when it's going to start. They've been especially silent about it. According to the events calendar, a bunch of specials end on Friday, so it probably won't be until at least then, but 9.14 is supposed to come out on the 8th, so they might wait until then.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nordick posted:

Yeah, the O-Ni's front armor is solid enough that you can often just sit there and eat shells like popcorn and :killdozer: over everything. Sides are still paper though and some stuff will still blow right through even the front, but if you can position yourself well the thing can take a hell of a beating.

EDIT:

The O-Ho is also okay as a gimmick. It obviously lacks a whole lot of the qualities a player would want in a tank to carry, but in the around 400 games I've racked up in the non-poo poo Japanese heavies, I've managed to maintain an average of like 63% winrate, with the lowest winrate being in the O-I at 55% for some reason. Equally bizarrely, the O-Ho has my highest 100+ battle winrate of all tanks I've ever played at 68%...and it's climbing.

The only explanation I have is less WN8-related and more connected to the fact that you can hold up entire flanks of idiots while excessively side-scraping and murdering crew/modules every 14 seconds. I don't exceed 2500 damage too often, which is kinda bad at tier8, but I do notice pretty often that O-Hos tend to tie up numerous dudes regardless of where they are. Mind you, smart people would know to flank a sidescraping O-Ho unless he's not alone, but we're not exactly dealing with smart people in WoT.

The O-Ni was pretty okay and bounces a lot more than the O-Ho, but both tanks have been fun so far. The HE-gimmick, coupled with Eagle Eye, has grown on me quite a bit.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I did not want to play tanks at all because a 2x every battle day draws in the Quixperiencers and such. I logged in to check if there was the upcoming On-Track on the upcoming missions list, nothing. Goons channel was completely empty - good choice everyone.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Hellsau posted:

I did not want to play tanks at all because a 2x every battle day draws in the Quixperiencers and such. I logged in to check if there was the upcoming On-Track on the upcoming missions list, nothing. Goons channel was completely empty - good choice everyone.

Yeah ran into at least 1 bot a game when I played, luckily I know when to stop and just did my "daily double" no more no less.

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.

Hellsau posted:

On EU, the IS-7 is the on-track tank until the first of April. I kinda want to buy the T-10, but the stock tier 9 grind is not looking very appealing right now. Approx 125k xp for gun, turret, engine and tracks is a long grind.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Sioux posted:

I'm afraid to ask because of shaming from the PC MASTER RACE but I play this on Playstation 4. Any goons that do, too that I can hook up with?

There is a PS4 community named Goon Tonks. Just post your PSN name here or send me a PSN message for an invite (PSN: ShankyMcStabber).

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

So, I should actually be around this weekend for TOTALLY NOT RIGGING activities :toot:

In unrelated news, I still can't get over how great the Skoda T50 is, especially in a 2 man platoon. I was playing that almost exclusively yesterday, and just printing 3-4k damage games. That being said, the requirments for mastery must be insane if 3k is only good enough for a 3rd class, and 4500 good enough for a 2nd class.

Only 37 games in, and I'm sitting pretty with a 70+% winrate and 2671 WN8 in it. Get in this thing while the getting is good, cause they are gonna nerf the poo poo out of it in the future.

EDIT: Well, that didn't take long:

Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 1, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The only things that kept me playing this game were the On Track events and losing 400k credits to help you scrubs not rig Domination battles.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So just played a match in where more than half my team suicided in trying to defend the bottom left corner of malinovka. Literally didn't even drive out of my spawn before I had to turn around, because more than half the team was gone.

I know just the basics but I do know you can't defend K3 down there, and you should pull back and fight not there if they push. What are the positions to use? Since I've never had a battle go to poo poo so quickly, and require me to be near our cap in the first 2 minutes.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Chillyrabbit posted:

So just played a match in where more than half my team suicided in trying to defend the bottom left corner of malinovka. Literally didn't even drive out of my spawn before I had to turn around, because more than half the team was gone.

I know just the basics but I do know you can't defend K3 down there, and you should pull back and fight not there if they push. What are the positions to use? Since I've never had a battle go to poo poo so quickly, and require me to be near our cap in the first 2 minutes.

I usually say in allchat what the east spawn needs to do in order to win, and why the field buildings are suicide. That gives me the moral high ground to berate anyone dumb enough to ignore my good advice (with the enemy team frequently joining in) and it lets me have more actual games. If I'm west spawn and the enemy team has eight loving tanks camping the field buildings, it is a total waste of time for me to continue playing since it's just a 7 v 15. Even the shitlords camping the rocks on the west spawn are more effective since they at least don't get spotted and murdered by things they can't fight back against and don't get dunked on by artillery through their "arti cover".

You've got to try to just shame the pubbies into playing well. Sure you'll lose three or four dudes in the field buildings every game but at least they'll have proven themselves to be worthless in advance.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Batchat and t57 on tracks.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/march-overview/

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 2, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sweet, some daily gold missions and I have more than enough credits to buy the T57 when it goes on sale. :krad:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Sweet, some daily gold missions and I have more than enough credits to buy the T57 when it goes on sale. :krad:

Prepare to be incredibly underwhelmed if you have an AMX 50B.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Hey I wonder what's happening at the WoT forums

quote:

Stop using the word "Nazi", as it is a pejorative

Never change.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Hey I wonder what's happening at the WoT forums

Never change.

Which WGA employee said that?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Prepare to be incredibly underwhelmed if you have an AMX 50B.

You're talking to a guy that has over 200 battles in the A-20 and owns both the Sexton I AND the Sexton II. I don't think I can be underwhelmed by anything anymore. :suicide:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

At the very least, the batchat on track will keep me playing for this month. That's some good poo poo. Iv'e needed motivation to play through the rest of that line.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Any point unlocking the Churchill Gun Carrier other than getting elite on the Church 1?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Batchat on track, just as I'm starting to grind up the line! Good timing :v:

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

McGavin posted:

You're talking to a guy that has over 200 battles in the A-20 and owns both the Sexton I AND the Sexton II. I don't think I can be underwhelmed by anything anymore. :suicide:

I guess as long as you directly compare the acceleration, track traverse, aim bloom, and aim time of the tier 10 tank T57 Heavy and the tier 3 tank Sexton I you may not be underwhelmed, but that's by no means guaranteed because the T57 is real bad.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

Scapegoat posted:

Any point unlocking the Churchill Gun Carrier other than getting elite on the Church 1?

To play the Church GC and rip on people when you kill them with it. The gun is really good, but if you get spotted you die. It is a decent approximation of what it is like to play most paper-cannon td's at higher tiers.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

since playing WOT is in itself masochistic it follows that the CGC is the ideal tank of the game

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does the Black Prince still have a built in win modifier or did they take that out with their HD armor nerf?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Does the Black Prince still have a built in win modifier or did they take that out with their HD armor nerf?

They completely trashed the armor such that my VK3002D, a tank with 171 gold pen, has no trouble fighting a Black Prince frontally. The Black Prince received no buffs in compensation.

Presumably the winrate modifier has been significantly weakened.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

This saddens my heart immensely.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
RIP, sweet (black) prince.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

We'll tell the stories with wistful eyes to new generations of eager World of Tanks players. They'll ask us, "Hellsau, how'd you old folk get such high winrates in the Black Prince? How was that tank before the Great Armor Nerf of 9.13?" And we'll tell them the truth, "It was slow, the gun was weak, and the armor was unreliable." And they'll ask, "Then how did you win so much?" before we break down in tears at the loss of our magical Prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

We'll tell the stories with wistful eyes to new generations of eager World of Tanks players. They'll ask us, "Hellsau, how'd you old folk get such high winrates in the Black Prince? How was that tank before the Great Armor Nerf of 9.13?" And we'll tell them the truth, "It was slow, the gun was weak, and the armor was unreliable." And they'll ask, "Then how did you win so much?" before we break down in tears at the loss of our magical Prince.