Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

former glory posted:

I'm new to the game and about L23 3 weeks into it. I'm just playing solo right now, enjoying a few hours here and there, but I was wondering if I'm doing things right. So far, I'm not spending any karma or gold on anything. It seems like my storyline quests every 10 levels keep me fed with serviceable equipment, with the drops in between keeping me alive and well. Is the road to L80 pretty straightforward if I just keep going this way? I figure the karma and gold will be useful once I'm at that wall where the gear doesn't get old so quickly.

feel free to spend karma when leveling because it has no functional use by the time you hit 80

i mean, don't go out of your way to blow as much of it as you can, but if you see a weapon that's stronger than yours, or some armor that's ~30 levels higher than what you have, grab it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Why do y'all hate HoT so much? I thought it was a great addition to the game. Y'all're acting like anet is pinning you down and skinning you or something

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nah it was pretty lovely on a lot of parts of GW2 and has had a severe effect on the game's population, especially WvW.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Do the folks at ArenaNet ever know how much money they have to work with? Do Heart of Thorns and Gems sales give enough of a projection for them to get estimates on how much content can be made in a certain amount of time? I'm genuinely curious.

Aug 24, 2011

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Why do y'all hate HoT so much? I thought it was a great addition to the game. Y'all're acting like anet is pinning you down and skinning you or something

it was a great addition to the game, it just wasn't an addition worth $50

it also means bad things for the future because they haven't fixed a lot of things that are wrong with it but have already gone on record saying they're working on the next expansion instead of fixing this one

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Poniard posted:

Do the folks at ArenaNet ever know how much money they have to work with? Do Heart of Thorns and Gems sales give enough of a projection for them to get estimates on how much content can be made in a certain amount of time? I'm genuinely curious.

This is probably the most basic thing a real company should know so I would have to say yes.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Since the expansion they've released 7 wings, 7 weapon sets, 8 outfits, hairstyles, dyes, a few backpacks and whatever else I missed on the gem store. Meanwhile they still haven't finished working on the new legendary weapons, raids, etc. The amount of stuff we got in the expansion versus what they've put out since for gems seems a bit lacking.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Also, it killed dungeons and WvW, and the new maps are a scheduled grindy affront to everything I liked about the base game PvE. They hosed up the story hard, but I think we were all expecting that. Elite specs screwed whatever semblance of balance there was into the loving ground. Scribing is a mess. Probably a dozen other broken things I'm forgetting about too.

But raids are cool and I like having a guardian longbow. It's a real pity I paid £35 for it rather than £10.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

remember when people were being weird about others wanting a free character slot and were acting like a-net was doing us a favor by selling us the expansion at such a cheap price

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Pesterchum posted:

Since the expansion they've released 7 wings, 7 weapon sets, 8 outfits, hairstyles, dyes, a few backpacks and whatever else I missed on the gem store. Meanwhile they still haven't finished working on the new legendary weapons, raids, etc. The amount of stuff we got in the expansion versus what they've put out since for gems seems a bit lacking.

Fair points, but they've only had like, one major update since HoT dropped. Like a bunch of other people said, the wings generate a bunch of revenue for not a lot of effort. More communications on the Raid wings would be nice, or some indication of when LS season 3 will start, or something. I guess it does kind of feel like the time before LS1 started on launch (granted the game was riddled with issues back then)

I'm kind of holding off on forming an opinion until the next major content patch. Be thankful we haven't had a Year of Siege of Orgrimmar(TM) :colbert:

MooCowlian posted:

Also, it killed dungeons and WvW, and the new maps are a scheduled grindy affront to everything I liked about the base game PvE. They hosed up the story hard, but I think we were all expecting that. Elite specs screwed whatever semblance of balance there was into the loving ground. Scribing is a mess. Probably a dozen other broken things I'm forgetting about too.

But raids are cool and I like having a guardian longbow. It's a real pity I paid £35 for it rather than £10.

I like all the new mapwide events v:shobon:v I think I spent like almost an entire week on HoT launch dicking around in VB without really exploring any more. Elite specs being overpowered was something i think everyone expected, I've never really done WvW in any organized capacity so I can't really comment on that, dungeons were never good (the fun way was bad and the good way was unfun)

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I don't know why you all hate this Heart of Thorns 2 game, I just got it and am having a blast at level 10 with my Warband in the rich Personal Story Experience Product.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Remember the idea that picking up environmental weapons was good and cool? ha ha ha

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Gotta hate something to mask the hatred I feel for myself.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Dicking around in the maps is fun for a while, but I can still go to gendarran and see new things, or things I haven't seen in a while. Literally every instance of VB runs the same, on the same timer. Once you get done dicking around, the timing is often too awkward even for people who have plenty of flexibility. I still don't really want to drop a couple of hours into waiting around in DS for a fraction of the rewards I need to get anything, and I'm a student with no particular responsibilities beyond coursework and occasionally sleeping/drinking. People who don't have that kind of freedom are SOL for most of the expansion PvE.

We're now in a position where they've removed the good way to do dungeons.

How about instead of endless loving outfits, they put a few more sets of armour in. Or even just give us tribal back or something? They've churned out 8 outfits in four or five months and managed all of three sets of armour in the year+ they were working on the expansion? gently caress off. Where's the legendary armour? Where's the fractal backpiece?

There's only been one major update, sure. We shouldn't have had to wait for a major update, and we certainly shouldn't have to wait for a second. Just because we haven't had a year of siege of ogrimmar (I assume thats some wow thing?) doesn't mean we have to be pleased about what we have got. HoT didn't deliver a lot of what we expected (some of which we were told we'd get!) and what it did deliver was mediocre at best almost across the board.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, Colin is skinning me right now, feet first. Gonna sell my outer layers on the gem store.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Poniard posted:

revenue from GW2 has been very stable for ages now, with the occasional spike due to sales/Christmas etc. check out the NCsoft investor reports and you'll see.

a lot of people like to bandy about what Yoshi-P of FFXIV said about subscription games having a stable, predictable revenue source and therefore being able to pace development, but just a bit of thought in that direction would lead you to the realisation that if only subscription services represented stable revenue, a lot more businesses in the wider world would not exist

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

People who don't have that kind of freedom are SOL for most of the expansion PvE.

Yup it sucks man, also I've stopped buying gems months ago because of the exchange rate and Anet sucks balls and won't sell gems in CAD so gently caress that

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup it sucks man, also I've stopped buying gems months ago because of the exchange rate and Anet sucks balls and won't sell gems in CAD so gently caress that

Yeah, it must suck to have the freedom to be able to get multiple legendaries and to clear the current raid wing multiple times. Awful, awful.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xenix posted:

Yeah, it must suck to have the freedom to be able to get multiple legendaries and to clear the raid multiple times. Awful, awful.

Wait who are you talking about in your post

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Xenix posted:

Yeah, it must suck to have the freedom to be able to get multiple legendaries and to clear the current raid wing multiple times. Awful, awful.

Wow, we actually found someone to defend heart of thorns.

I have a space ship game I think you might be interested in called Star Citizen, maybe you've heard of it?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I don't think he was defending HoT, more taking a jab at Arus for being carried (on very many, strong shoulders)

We all know Arus is part of the secret raiding guild that checks your gear

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

In fairness, it does help mask my self hatred.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lmao cletus your troll worked, they think I've done the raid

Aug 24, 2011

Remember the idea that picking up environmental weapons was good and cool? ha ha ha

there are actually objects you can pick up in the raid, like planks and branches and poo poo, right before the last boss, and one time i grabbed one and fought her with it and we beat her in one-shot

Xenix posted:

he has two legendaries and has not killed any raid bosses

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Having legendaries and clearing the raids isn't really a big deal anyway. I mean, he's had three years and the help of guildmates to build legendaries. People with sufficiently strong knees could carry him through the raids pretty quickly too.

Compare that to running DS however many bloody time to get machetes to get currency to buy garbage.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've stopped buying gems months ago

Hold on, I'm noticing a correlation in the data

No wonder Anet doesn't have the money to create anything except bird wings

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've gotten about half a legendary myself, Cletus and my French dad Don and all of sfd lovingly did the rest!

:lol:

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

knowonecanknow posted:

What is something fun to grind for now that I'm done with my lumi set?
another game

Pesterchum posted:

Since the expansion they've released 7 wings, 7 weapon sets, 8 outfits, hairstyles, dyes, a few backpacks and whatever else I missed on the gem store. Meanwhile they still haven't finished working on the new legendary weapons, raids, etc.

MooCowlian posted:

Amante fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 29, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was reminded of the luminescent set and how it's the most low-effort garbage i've ever seen. yeah, just take the area armor set and entirely color it a nasty-rear end, glowing shade of poo poo. good job. high fives all around the art department.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Fair points, but they've only had like, one major update since HoT dropped. Like a bunch of other people said, the wings generate a bunch of revenue for not a lot of effort. More communications on the Raid wings would be nice, or some indication of when LS season 3 will start, or something. I guess it does kind of feel like the time before LS1 started on launch (granted the game was riddled with issues back then)

I'm kind of holding off on forming an opinion until the next major content patch. Be thankful we haven't had a Year of Siege of Orgrimmar(TM) :colbert:

I like all the new mapwide events v:shobon:v I think I spent like almost an entire week on HoT launch dicking around in VB without really exploring any more. Elite specs being overpowered was something i think everyone expected, I've never really done WvW in any organized capacity so I can't really comment on that, dungeons were never good (the fun way was bad and the good way was unfun)

we had 10 months of point of no return, close enough

SansWetware
Oct 16, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

i was reminded of the luminescent set and how it's the most low-effort garbage i've ever seen. yeah, just take the area armor set and entirely color it a nasty-rear end, glowing shade of poo poo. good job. high fives all around the art department.

What this needs is a matching set of wings for only 805 gems.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Fair points, but they've only had like, one major update since HoT dropped.

Heart of Thorns came out over 5 months ago. We've had one wing of one raid that most people haven't done and probably never will and a balance patch that was described by anet to be a major balancing that would shake up the meta; nothing about it was major and it shook nothing up.

What's more is that of all the things we've been told are coming: more fractals, more raids, more living story, general adjustments to existing HoT content, wvw overhaul, more legendaries + finishing legendary fractal backpack, we haven't even heard when any of it is coming. They've mentioned their spring update is sometime in March (probably late in March), but they haven't mentioned how much or little of that will be in the update. If it's anything like their winter update don't hold your breath.

edit: OK for the sake of honesty I just found out The next raid wing is coming March 8th.

check out my Youtube fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 29, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I got pretty much no reason to play this anymore. HoT changes killed EU WvW on the lower tiers, and I was in a dedicated WvW guild. I sure as hell won't be shovelling more money to Anet to try and find a WvW tier where poo poo isn't hosed, and who knows when the mysterious WvW overhaul will happen.

I'd love to try and stay positive, ANET is communicating poo poo right now, and I got better games to spend my hours on. :shrug:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Attestant posted:

I got pretty much no reason to play this anymore. HoT changes killed EU WvW on the lower tiers, and I was in a dedicated WvW guild. I sure as hell won't be shovelling more money to Anet to try and find a WvW tier where poo poo isn't hosed, and who knows when the mysterious WvW overhaul will happen.

I'd love to try and stay positive, ANET is communicating poo poo right now, and I got better games to spend my hours on. :shrug:

I don't think they really care if you play or not, since you already paid. Their preferred market is the people who spend money at the gemstore (admittedly have done so myself too) and bake cupcakes for ANet regardless of what type of product they put out, so this is the demographic that gets most updates.

I mostly log on to chat with my guild friends. With the daily rewards I can even level my alt without doing anything. I guess my goal could be to finish my chronomancer specialization collection (it only needs the maxed Exalted mastery and I'm halfway on the 4/5 th tier) but I already crafted myself an ascended shield with far less hassle and the thought of grinding even more events brings me sad, even though it is pretty fast with various boosters.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 29, 2016

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CLAM DOWN posted:

lmao are you for real?

Yeah, seriously. Think about the turn around time for poo poo like the living story, let alone explorable zones. I mean that poo poo goes through iterations, even though it seems like we get their first draft half the time.

You got the brainstorming phase, coding, meshing, rigging, modeling, tivac's slumber parties, testing, troubleshooting, voice acting and stroking colin's ego. poo poo takes a long time.

orcane posted:

I know this awesome starship game by the creator of Wing Commander, you might enjoy it!

Yeah yeah. Look anets actually done poo poo, and typically stays silent as gently caress about anything other than minute class skill description alterations.

And don't remind me of that game, it's just a painful reminds that there will never be another freelancer.

Edit:

Johnny Joestar posted:

remember when people were being weird about others wanting a free character slot and were acting like a-net was doing us a favor by selling us the expansion at such a cheap price

We also thought there'd ne more to the expac, so at the time it was a bit weird. Now though 50 bucks for an add on os a bit too loving much. Except that they get around it by making it the new base game so

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 29, 2016

Aug 24, 2011

as a person who does raids, the idea that they should be the main development focus makes me laugh on my rear end

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Azazell0 posted:

I don't think they really care if you play or not, since you already paid. Their preferred market is the people who spend money at the gemstore (admittedly have done so myself too) and bake cupcakes for ANet regardless of what type of product they put out, so this is the demographic that gets most updates.

I mostly log on to chat with my guild friends. With the daily rewards I can even level my alt without doing anything. I guess my goal could be to finish my chronomancer specialization collection (it only needs the maxed Exalted mastery and I'm halfway on the 4/5 th tier) but I already crafted myself an ascended shield with far less hassle and the thought of grinding even more events brings me sad, even though it is pretty fast with various boosters.

And I don't really care if they care.

My point is more about HoT being poo poo if you're in to WvW.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao cletus your troll worked, they think I've done the raid

You were in a raid instance and all the bosses were dead, I think it counts!

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

the event farming is just so gd boring and my original interest WvW is a mess. I tried to come back to this game but gem store seems to be too much of a focus as well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Azazell0 posted:

[...]

That was legit cool but now I'm out of character slots again and I'm mostly done with giving Anet money for gems these days (except for lightning glider skins, gotta look fabulous while idling for 5 minutes every day).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You'd think a company the size of ANet could pump out content at a faster rate. Are they just very design/artist heavy and just lack the engineering backbone to get things done?

• Locked thread