Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
every bug i've gotten in xcom 2 was fixed by selecting and canceling a command, except the one that gave stun lancers free turns when they catch on fire on their own turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

CJacobs posted:

I wish we lived in a world where a game releasing with basically completely random game-breaking bugs that will render dozens of hours of your free time wasted in 1 second was considered insulting and unacceptable. People will buy it even if you don't put any polish on it, but that doesn't mean that you're no longer obligated to do so.

Alright but if you're talking about XCom 2, that's zero of the bugs that have been discussed. Fucky poo poo can rarely happen and sometimes a dude will die maybe but it doesn't, like, delete your save file or anything. It's just a roof randomly breaking or a low-level enemy forgetting to die right away when you stab him. Unless you're doing some kind of frothingly insane minimum-squad-size Ironman-only no-armour-upgrades run, none of that stuff is going to set you back more than like 10 minutes since it maintains staggered autosaves.

In any case, keep on preaching the evils of glitchy game design in the game glitch appreciation thread I guess. :confused:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Myth 2 would straight-up wipe your hard drive when you uninstalled it so maybe ease off the "these goddamn kids and their buggy video games" talk.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Alright but if you're talking about XCom 2, that's zero of the bugs that have been discussed. Fucky poo poo can rarely happen and sometimes a dude will die maybe but it doesn't, like, delete your save file or anything. It's just a roof randomly breaking or a low-level enemy forgetting to die right away when you stab him. Unless you're doing some kind of frothingly insane minimum-squad-size Ironman-only no-armour-upgrades run, none of that stuff is going to set you back more than like 10 minutes since it maintains staggered autosaves.

In any case, keep on preaching the evils of glitchy game design in the game glitch appreciation thread I guess. :confused:

There are save corruption bugs in a game with an ironman mode. No that is pretty loving bad.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
All games have bugs, and the more people play a game the more bugs get discovered. This is even more true on the PC, as differences in hardware setups can make things worse in completely unforseen ways. I had a friend who would constantly complain about the most bizarre issues he was having and long story short after about the fifth time we found out he was on a 8 year old laptop that would overheat so badly the plastic melted.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Digirat posted:

There are save corruption bugs in a game with an ironman mode. No that is pretty loving bad.

This is the first I'm hearing of that. Sounds like a pretty funny game glitch. Not sure I'd call it my favourite though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

1stGear posted:

Myth 2 would straight-up wipe your hard drive when you uninstalled it so maybe ease off the "these goddamn kids and their buggy video games" talk.

poo poo, and I was furious when I uninstalled a Sierra game and it deleted c:\games and took every game and savefile I owned.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gorilla Salad posted:

poo poo, and I was furious when I uninstalled a Sierra game and it deleted c:\games and took every game and savefile I owned.

That was the same bug Myth 2 had- it would delete the directory containing the game directory. If you put it in /games, there go all your games. If you put it at the root level, welp.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is that XCOM2 save corruption thing something that even actually happens? That dude was the first person to even mention it if I'm not mistaken.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

haveblue posted:

That was the same bug Myth 2 had- it would delete the directory containing the game directory. If you put it in /games, there go all your games. If you put it at the root level, welp.

Same but with EVE. A long time ago, after a patch the game was supposed to delete its own boot.ini file before it installed a new one. Well, it did that--except depending on how you installed the game, it instead deleted the windows boot.ini file.

So as you can imagine, after you reboot your computer you got a nice surprise. :ccp:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

CJacobs posted:

if you don't want bugs, code your game competently and there won't be any when it's time for release. exactly how many times to developers have to do the exact same thing before they learn?

you've never done any computer programming, have you

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

President Ark posted:

All you have to do is not hit the giant red button that says 'put bugs in the game'

I dunno why it's so hard to resist

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Come on guys, you telling me Game Dev Tycoon is inaccurate in its simulation??

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

XYZ posted:

This is how gaming works now. People are willing to buy games before they are even finished. Why fix everything when you can release buggy poo poo and just patch it later(maybe.)

lol if you think that hasn't been the case for almost as long as games have existed as a commercial project. Even pre-patching tons of games were buggy as gently caress in ways that would never be fixed.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

President Ark posted:

It's not that different from computer animation, right?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CJacobs posted:

if you don't want bugs, code your game competently and there won't be any when it's time for release. exactly how many times to developers have to do the exact same thing before they learn?

CJacobs gracing the forums with his genius and smarts once again. Why not just makes games...WITHOUT bugs? Amazing, how could those loving dipshit programmers not think of that? Programming's easy, you just yell at the computer to do stuff and it does it. Just yell NO BUGS and you'll be fine, game coders loving LEARN TO DO YOUR JOB FFS.

You idiot.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

flatluigi posted:

Is that XCOM2 save corruption thing something that even actually happens? That dude was the first person to even mention it if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah I never heard of saves in XCOM 2 flat out corrupting. Now if someone removes a mod you're subbed to from the workshop then you're kinda screwed unless you get a work around for the mod check, but depending on what that mod was it could likely lead to stability issues too. But that's not really XCOM 2's fault there. It's just the nature of the best with modding.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's easy to fix bugs, just hire more coders. Duh. It's just like how you fix all server issues by getting more servers. It's so easy. Sadly most game developers are greedy cheapskates who would spend all that precious server money on making DLC and cosmetic content.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

CJacobs posted:

:lol:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If we lived in a world without video game bugs, we wouldn't have nuclear crazy Gandhi in the Civilization series. And that's not a world I would want to live in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skaw posted:

Yeah I never heard of saves in XCOM 2 flat out corrupting. Now if someone removes a mod you're subbed to from the workshop then you're kinda screwed unless you get a work around for the mod check, but depending on what that mod was it could likely lead to stability issues too. But that's not really XCOM 2's fault there. It's just the nature of the best with modding.

well, when you load a save where buried chrysalids are present it will corrupt all of your saves. there is an incredibly obtuse workaround involving replay mode, though. i'm not sure if it has been patched yet, but that is obviously a pretty serious problem

generally, you are always better off buying a pc game after they release at least one bugfix patch because new pc games always have and always will have a shitload of bugs. if those patches never come then you will know not to buy the game. i figure c "mildly retarded" jacobs bought garbage off greenlight and is now blaming the entire game industry for his own poor judgment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Slime posted:

CJacobs gracing the forums with his genius and smarts once again. Why not just makes games...WITHOUT bugs? Amazing, how could those loving dipshit programmers not think of that? Programming's easy, you just yell at the computer to do stuff and it does it. Just yell NO BUGS and you'll be fine, game coders loving LEARN TO DO YOUR JOB FFS.

You idiot.

To be fair, I think he's saying "do some extensive play testing first to iron out at least the most obvious, prominent ones". Which a lot of developers probably skip over because "it needs to be out by Christmas" and/or "we'll just patch it later."

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Slime posted:

You idiot.

please do not sign your posts with what people reflexively blurt out when reading your posts

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I'm actually experiencing a bug with the forums right now, where users seem to be glitching into bitchy shitpiles instead of performing the "post relevant or interesting content" command, which is an inconvenience to say the least!

For content, The Sims 2 used to/still has a bug when played on anything higher than Vista. Frequently, textures like the vast open plains surrounding a plot will be replaced by other textures, like wood flooring. Or faces. Nothing like a mass of staring eyes to encourage you to maybe take a break for a while.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
No game can be perfect, but developers don't seem to be putting a token amount of effort into finding really easy to encounter bugs, so it really is on them to fix blatant mistakes before release instead of after.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

BiggerBoat posted:

To be fair, I think he's saying "do some extensive play testing first to iron out at least the most obvious, prominent ones". Which a lot of developers probably skip over because "it needs to be out by Christmas" and/or "we'll just patch it later."

Any big game, I can guarantee you lots of play testing and more in depth testing is definitely happening, it's just that all bugs get triaged, and a weird, uncommon bug that causes a bit of annoyance is going to lose to the big honking bugs that crash not just the game, but the OS itself.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Cheez posted:

No game can be perfect, but developers don't seem to be putting a token amount of effort into finding really easy to encounter bugs, so it really is on them to fix blatant mistakes before release instead of after.

People are also acting like releasing is in the hands of the developer in the first place. In the indie scene this is true, but when you've got publisher money making your project able to actually come together it's a whole different beast. They can appeal to delay but that can ultimately get denied.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Roro posted:

I'm actually experiencing a bug with the forums right now, where users seem to be glitching into bitchy shitpiles instead of performing the "post relevant or interesting content" command, which is an inconvenience to say the least!

For content, The Sims 2 used to/still has a bug when played on anything higher than Vista. Frequently, textures like the vast open plains surrounding a plot will be replaced by other textures, like wood flooring. Or faces. Nothing like a mass of staring eyes to encourage you to maybe take a break for a while.

There's a bug in your post. There's no screenshot attached :smith:

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

There's a bug in your post. There's no screenshot attached :smith:

I did have screenshots of the wood texture, but the face texture freaked me out so much I quit to desktop and refused to play after it. I'm sure there'll be a screenshot somewhere on the web.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
for any game of a reasonable size, more minutes will be played of a game in the first day than will have been tested by dozens if not hundreds of qa testers in a year.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
All games have bugs but it's not too good when a game with a tightly controlled structure like XCOM has lots of noticeably weird behavior. I think it's reasonable to be more forgiving of that stuff the more open the game is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

swamp waste posted:

All games have bugs but it's not too good when a game with a tightly controlled structure like XCOM has lots of noticeably weird behavior. I think it's reasonable to be more forgiving of that stuff the more open the game is.

XCOM 2 has randomly generated destructible environments, it's not actually that tightly controlled and a big portion of the weirdness is the result of that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, XCOM is basically the opposite of that, actually, it's all about systematically learning and responding to whatever the game throws at you. It's still important to have glitches fixed there, because you need to be sure that what's going on is going to work right, but it's also a very hard sort of game to debug for the same reason.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Please also remember that XCOM2 was designed with mod compatibility in mind the entire time.

You know what other franchises were designed like that and are infamously buggy? Don't make me spell it out for you.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Hey don't buy Pixel Piracy on PS4 the PC version is fine but the PS4 version is a buggy mess
Case and point. (Warning Gets loud)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5m3SqhQQwU

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
Case IN point you fool.

Real talk though, those graphics are adorable as hell in spite of the porting issues.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I love this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9lqvqYh4GU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

spongeh posted:

for any game of a reasonable size, more minutes will be played of a game in the first day than will have been tested by dozens if not hundreds of qa testers in a year.
Do big games still go through private beta tests? I thought I remembered Diablo III having one, but I'm not a big gamer and rarely buy anything before it goes on sale on Steam anymore.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

GWBBQ posted:

Do big games still go through private beta tests? I thought I remembered Diablo III having one, but I'm not a big gamer and rarely buy anything before it goes on sale on Steam anymore.

The days of private and invite-only beta are over. Nowadays, alpha means beta, and beta means "you can buy it but don't blame us for the bugs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless it's Blizzard.