Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You sure they didn't just pick up the excelsior / Thomas edison degree after they went through the nuke pipeline? Takes like 16 credit hours to get a degree and deny yourself pell grants for the rest of your life!!!

After you get a degree you can't get Pell grants? That sounds weird as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If you have a bachelor's or higher, you're ineligible. If you have an associate's, maybe.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah Pell grant is dope sucks for the people with worthless degrees trying to do a career change

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I received my Federal job offer today, which is good because I'd rather not be a contractor. Someone in here should probably take orders to Great Lakes and buy my house. I'll give you friend prices.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
$1.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'll buy you archives or platinum.

Your choice.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

I'll buy you archives or platinum.

Your choice.

*Sweats profusely*

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You sure they didn't just pick up the excelsior / Thomas edison degree after they went through the nuke pipeline? Takes like 16 credit hours to get a degree and deny yourself pell grants for the rest of your life!!!

Yeah, I'm sure. I'm a nuke, so I know them all semi-personally. A lot of us realize how worthless the excelsior/ TE degree actually are.

methlab messiah
Oct 23, 2005

seems legit
You take that back. My degree of Applied Science in Technical Studies is gonna open a lot of doors.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

methlab messiah posted:

You take that back. My degree of Applied Science in Technical Studies is gonna open a lot of doors.

Including the door to OCS, apparently. I was shocked how many people didn't have real degrees.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Red Crown posted:

Including the door to OCS, apparently. I was shocked how many people didn't have real degrees.

The Army will take people with mail-in nursing degrees that are only recognized by like three states' boards of nursing. The Navy used to too but shut it down a few years ago, but there are still nurse by mail officers grandfathered in.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
14 months fuckers

and gently caress all of you fuckers getting out sooner than me

*i hate myself*

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

14 months fuckers

and gently caress all of you fuckers getting out sooner than me

*i hate myself*

4 months :smugbert:

gently caress I spent 8 years of my life in this shitter.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I'm not a shitbag. Quite the contrary actually and have always prided on doing my best. Hey if I'm gonna be there might as well give my best effort. But lately it's just been so hard to stay focused. I think I'm starting to lose my internal motivation to improve my work/quality output and find myself wishing that my DH would task me more cause I won't move otherwise. Much different than before when I had a lot of initiative.

Worst part is I've done a good job so far so I'm given a lot of leeway and trust, but would rather be tasked so that I don't have to think and decide as much. </bitching>

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

I'm not a shitbag. Quite the contrary actually and have always prided on doing my best. Hey if I'm gonna be there might as well give my best effort. But lately it's just been so hard to stay focused. I think I'm starting to lose my internal motivation to improve my work/quality output and find myself wishing that my DH would task me more cause I won't move otherwise. Much different than before when I had a lot of initiative.

Worst part is I've done a good job so far so I'm given a lot of leeway and trust, but would rather be tasked so that I don't have to think and decide as much. </bitching>

It's called short-timers syndrome. It will only get worse as you get closer to your EAOS. Right now I basically show up to work to collect a check and make sure my seamen/second classes don't do something that gets themselves or the command in trouble, beyond that my motivation is zero. They asked me last month if I wanted to get a warfare device while I'm TAD to this squadron, it was everything I could do to not laugh in the chief's face.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

It's called short-timers syndrome. It will only get worse as you get closer to your EAOS. Right now I basically show up to work to collect a check and make sure my seamen/second classes don't do something that gets themselves or the command in trouble, beyond that my motivation is zero. They asked me last month if I wanted to get a warfare device while I'm TAD to this squadron, it was everything I could do to not laugh in the chief's face.

It could be cool if it didn't mean 'shiny pin' though.

Hiring agent: What do you bring to this organization?

Tokyo Sexwhale: (drops a steampunk monstrosity on the table)

Hiring agent: What the gently caress is that?

Tokyo Sexwhale: My warfare device.

Hiring agent: You're hired.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hogmartin posted:

It could be cool if it didn't mean 'shiny pin' though.

Hiring agent: What do you bring to this organization?

Tokyo Sexwhale: (drops a steampunk monstrosity on the table)

Hiring agent: What the gently caress is that?

Tokyo Sexwhale: My warfare device.

Hiring agent: You're hired.

It does sound cooler than it is tbh, it's basically a merit badge for taking a test and enduring a board.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

basically a merit badge

Most everything in life is.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
going to Japan in a couple weeks. looking forward to 7th fleet restricting us all to base after more nonsense and rape

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just remember you NKO training and don't be the rapist.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I think we're going to have another all hands theater brief on not being a rapist before we're out since we had a couple sexual assaults over holiday stand down. But that's only .005% of the command so, progress?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

going to Japan in a couple weeks. looking forward to 7th fleet restricting us all to base after more nonsense and rape

If you come down by Sasebo let me know. Liberty rules here are pretty lax (by marine standards anyway). And it's a pretty decent duty station.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Can do, hopefully our Japanese dets will base hop, would like to see the southern part of the island. I'm up at Atsugi for the deployment. Sasebo sounds pretty chilled out per the briefings

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
For gently caress's sake, it continually amazes me that the largest naval base in the world has such lovely lodging. San Diego has a lot of nice facilities. Lemoore had some amazing rooms that had just been renovated when I went there. Fallon has a poo poo-ton of capacity for air wings and it's mostly very good. But Norfolk, the beating heart of Navydom on earth, can't seem to get its poo poo together.

e: haha, what I had thought was an artistic paint effect on one of the "paintings" on the wall is actually a huge patch of mold.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 29, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don't think I've ever heard one good thing about Norfolk

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress Norfolk. I have never and will never take orders there. I took orders to the loving Kittyhawk over Norfolk.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't think I've ever heard one good thing about Norfolk

It's not Jacksonville

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Booblord Zagats posted:

It's not Jacksonville

Jacksonville Florida? Because it's a paradise compared to loving Norfolk.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ManMythLegend posted:

Jacksonville Florida? Because it's a paradise compared to loving Norfolk.

I grew up near Jacksonville and absolutely hate it. Norfolk sucks, but I am not filled with irrational hatred for it

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

Can do, hopefully our Japanese dets will base hop, would like to see the southern part of the island. I'm up at Atsugi for the deployment. Sasebo sounds pretty chilled out per the briefings

Atsugi's pretty chill, depending on your command/duty section. But even then it's not like we get gate protests...like ever. And we're only about an hour train ride from Tokyo and a half hour to Yokohama so we've got that going for us.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm a Seabee, we are setting up an office and hanging out for six months. Should be chill

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Norfolk was no Pearl Harbor or San Diego, but I enjoyed it.

That said, I was at the NSA rather than the Naval Station. I can imagine that poo poo would suck.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

I'm a Seabee, we are setting up an office and hanging out for six months. Should be chill

right so doing absolutely nothing OCONUS or CONUS par for the course

A base full of Seabees yet all maintenance and upkeep on base is by contractors and such. Blows my mind

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

In Norfolk now, can confirm that it sucks. Gate traffic is real and it really sucks.

Living in Ghent is the only thing that makes it remotely tolerable to be here.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I'm in Maryland for the next few months drinking at hotel bars and shitposting.

I've come to the conclusion that Maryland doesn't know what the gently caress traffic is. They all whine and bitch about traffic getting to work and terrible parking, but have no idea the real poo poo traffic. Hawaii traffic with tiny rear end Hawaii parking spots when you finally get to wherever you are going.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Hawaii parking spots filled with backed in trucks and DUVs with mokes standing in open spaces with their e-cigs and kids running around specifically

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Laranzu posted:

I'm in Maryland for the next few months drinking at hotel bars and shitposting.

I've come to the conclusion that Maryland doesn't know what the gently caress traffic is. They all whine and bitch about traffic getting to work and terrible parking, but have no idea the real poo poo traffic. Hawaii traffic with tiny rear end Hawaii parking spots when you finally get to wherever you are going.

I think driving on I-95 is far more infuriating than going from Chinatown to Haliewa ever was, personally. gently caress Turtle Beach and the tourists.

That said, I biked to work most days and never really had to deal with driving to Ewa or through Pearl City during peak hours.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've experienced bad traffic in some of the largest cities in the US and nothing comes even close to traffic in Hawaii. The worst traffic in most places I've ever lived is a good day in hawaii.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've experienced bad traffic in some of the largest cities in the US and nothing comes even close to traffic in Hawaii. The worst traffic in most places I've ever lived is a good day in hawaii.

I have literally become a hermit due to the Light Rail construction making everything 10x worse. Thats 10x worse than "would rather get hosed by a bear".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Oh good how is the rail coming along, still never going to be finished I assume?

• Locked thread