Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe next time we'll get both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Periphery posted:

I can understand them not wanting to blow their load too early but most of the info they've been releasing has been pretty lackluster and trivial. They've done 3 decently long game game play videos since July 2015 iirc. Of those there was a heavily scripted battle, a campaign walk through and the dwarf game play battle. Would it really have hurt to do one or two more in that time?

It's not like restricting the output of info has no downsides either. As we've seen in this thread they run the risk of people jumping to conclusions about the state of the game because they assume there are some dubious reasons for the lack of game play footage. While I don't think it's and omen of doom for the game, I do know that I probably would have stupidly preorded the game by now if they had got me a bit more hyped with a cool battle video. That could easily still happen with the one on Monday, but I'm sure they would have prefered to get my money sooner rather than later.

I guess it's a balancing act they need to sort out but at this stage I think they have been too conservative with how much stuff they've released.

It is a fact that releasing gameplay videos or demos hurts sales though. It sounds backwards but the less information they release the better sales will be.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2456654/study-publishers-shouldnt-release-demos-just-trailers/

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Demos hurt sales too, for the same reasons. It's hilarious.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Washout posted:

It is a fact that releasing gameplay videos or demos hurts sales though. It sounds backwards but the less information they release the better sales will be.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2456654/study-publishers-shouldnt-release-demos-just-trailers/

When they say demo what do they mean exactly? Cause in that article they seem to imply that it is a playable version of the game available to the consumer ("hands-on time with the product"). That's pretty different to releasing gameplay videos so do they classify those as "trailers"?

I totally can see why not releasing playable demos or open betas would hurt sales by giving the consumer too much info and allow reality to ruin the hype, but that's a bit different to a gameplay video.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Periphery posted:

When they say demo what do they mean exactly? Cause in that article they seem to imply that it is a playable version of the game available to the consumer ("hands-on time with the product"). That's pretty different to releasing gameplay videos so do they classify those as "trailers"?

I totally can see why not releasing playable demos or open betas would hurt sales by giving the consumer too much info and allow reality to ruin the hype, but that's a bit different to a gameplay video.

I've read a few articles about it, and interpreted it to mean either game play videos or real playable demo's but I don't think any of the studies actually checked that.

What they do mention is that if only trailer videos are released sales are significantly better than if a demo was released. But yeah it still leaves the word demo open to interpretation.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
demos are nice

the unfortunate downside of being nice is the consequences you face from people being, generally, stupid assholes

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Demos are great for consumers because it means you get to see if you like a game or not without putting any money into it. I don't think that makes consumers "stupid assholes" for using their experience with the demo to decide not to buy a game they won't enjoy.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Demos and betas build hype for a good game because of increased word of mouth(and social media) advertising, but do the opposite for bad games.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Asehujiko posted:

Demos and betas build hype for a good game because of increased word of mouth(and social media) advertising, but do the opposite for bad games.

If you already have the attention of your target audience, they do more harm than good, "good" game or not.

You don't lose those word of mouth sales, they just occur slightly later in the game's life cycle.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Hooray a gameplay quest battle video as orcs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_AD4gHVrWU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

peer posted:

Hooray a gameplay quest battle video as orcs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_AD4gHVrWU

I like how it looks and feels, that Purple Sun of Xereus was pretty sattisfing. A bit disappointed that Bretonnia didn't have any actual knights, only filthy peasants.

Edit: I wonder what graphical settings they are using and how optimized this game will be, especially compared to Rome II.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 29, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Guard mode is back huzzah

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

^So happy about returning guard mode.

Can't wait for the eventual Brettonia FLC/DLC! I want peasants dying in droves until my knights show up to steal the thunder.

Also, it's (almost) March and they've been heavily hinting about some Vampire Count footage. I hope they don't wait until the end.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Can't wait for the eventual Brettonia FLC/DLC! I want peasants dying in droves until my knights show up to steal the thunder.

Also, it's (almost) March and they've been heavily hinting about some Vampire Count footage. I hope they don't wait until the end.

CA has been spamming "Beware the Ides of March" as their go-to Vampire answer, which would be March 15th.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

peer posted:

I love how the goblin archers have the advantage "Expendable" :allears:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Two months left oh god two months gotta survive for two more months unghhhhh ii mean that brettonian lineup looks quite fleshed out, and cool looking!

I noticed that the selected orc flags makes the unit look like its routing, and so did someone else on Youtube which was answered by the devs:
Total War12 minutes ago (edited)
+The King Yeah they're picking up light reflections, will be tweaked / toned down by release.

Which is good because it was slightly off-putting thinkin' yer boyz wuz abouts to run luike somez sortz of squig-herder!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How do you show Brettonia for the first time and have the cavalry charges be made up of loving peasants? Disgraceful.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Tiler Kiwi posted:

demos are nice

the unfortunate downside of being nice is the consequences you face from people being, generally, stupid assholes

THIS GAME DOESN'T WORK WHERE ARE ALL THE FACTIONS WHY CAN'T I PLAY ONLINE

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Cool, mistcasts do a bit of damage to the caster but otherwise magic works basically like Dark Omen, where you save up "dots" over time. Glad they went that route.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

Guard mode is back huzzah

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Guard mode never left. It in fact became the unchangeable default. We lost the ability to turn off guard mode with Rome 2, not to turn it on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

Guard mode never left. It in fact became the unchangeable default. We lost the ability to turn off guard mode with Rome 2, not to turn it on.

So why do I lose all those units or archers when they chase broken units through my own pike lines?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

peer posted:

Oh that general speech :allears: I knew Ahzag and his Nagash-possessed crown would provide some good speeches.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That battle video was awesome. I'm really hoping for some fun multiplayer battles, I can't really get into single player campaigns.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The default behavior since Rome 2 has been that units continue their last order until given a new one (in most cases). If you tell someone to stand still, they won't chase down enemies that charged them and then ran away. If you tell someone to attack an enemy (even at range), they will chase that enemy down until it is dead, no matter how far this chase takes them. The advantage of an explicit guard mode is that it allows you to change what happens when you issue an attack order, so that when the enemy breaks off you don't chase them down and break your formation

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

So why do I lose all those units or archers when they chase broken units through my own pike lines?

Playing badly.

This is not a guess I am making. The developers have confirmed on video that they only removed the toggle for guard mode and changed it to the default behavior in the process (effectively making it the only behavior). If you feel you are experiencing otherwise then your own play is to blame.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

Playing badly.

This is not a guess I am making. The developers have confirmed on video that they only removed the toggle for guard mode and changed it to the default behavior in the process (effectively making it the only behavior). If you feel you are experiencing otherwise then your own play is to blame.

So this video describes the way that the behavior changed. Before, units on guard mode would not pursue disengaging enemy units, meaning that your line would remain a line. Now, they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsP98h0dg8g

So how come you couldn't follow the conversation? "Your bad play is making the game move the units differently" really doesn't make sense as a response.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

So how come you couldn't follow the conversation?

How ironic that you seem to be having this difficulty.

I never commented on the actual behavior exhibited by guard mode. All I said was that right now guard mode is always on. He doubted it was on because of X. The fact is that he experienced X does not mean that guard mode isn't on, because it is.

I haven't made any claims beyond that. Guard mode is always on in Rome 2. If someone feels it isn't then they are in error and should modify their play. Wanting guard mode to be something else is a separate issue.

Personally I hate guard mode and never use it (when that is an option) so I'm just glad I'll be able to toggle if off again.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

I haven't made any claims beyond that. Guard mode is always on in Rome 2. If someone feels it isn't then they are in error and should modify their play. Wanting guard mode to be something else is a separate issue.

Personally I hate guard mode and never use it (when that is an option) so I'm just glad I'll be able to toggle if off again.

Ah cool the semantics argument. He was saying he was having problems with units getting out of position, you explained that it was bad play because guard mode is built in.

In previous Total War games, guard mode meant that if attacked, your units didn't pursue the disengaging unit.

In Rome 2 / Attila, that behavior changed. You have no way of telling your dudes to stand still, which is what guard mode did before.

So when you say it's built into Rome 2, the mode that meant that units would stand still even if attacked, what are you talking about? Because in Rome 2 they move forward and pursue disengaging units. Which was not the behavior when Guard mode was enabled in previous games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guard mode in Rome 2 worked like this: if you get charged but don't click on the enemy to attack you hold ground and don't advance. But if you right click to say counter charge your men will pursue. With a guard mode toggle you could do that same counter charge without a subsequent pursuit. They will also keep formation on the offensive this way rather than breaking into mobs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

you explained that it was bad play because guard mode is built in.

No, I explained that his play was not evidence of guard mode being off. He thought that guard mode was off because of what was happening. I was telling him it was not.

That is really all I have to say on the matter.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

My hope is that in Total War: Warhammer: The game about war and hammers, they have a button or toggle or something that makes your dudes stand still so that I don't have to constantly tell them to stop chasing routing units.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
His formation was REALLY concentrated, especially for when the enemy had artillery and he didn't.

I mean, I've used a similar formation, but not when the enemy is throwing giant hunks of masonry at you.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Chomp8645 posted:

No, I explained that his play was not evidence of guard mode being off. He thought that guard mode was off because of what was happening. I was telling him it was not.

That is really all I have to say on the matter.

You are being purposefully dense regarding that the entire definition of what guard modes does was changed, which was his actual complaint. Or your reading comprehension is just poor.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

While we're at it, I would like a "Fire at enemy units that are not engaged in Melee" setting for archers. So that I don't have to either: click them to attack units / order them to stop when it starts routing, or leave them on fire at will so they friendly fire my dudes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Klaus88 posted:

His formation was REALLY concentrated, especially for when the enemy had artillery and he didn't.

I mean, I've used a similar formation, but not when the enemy is throwing giant hunks of masonry at you.

Wow you're right. Let's make a petition to get CA to let you do the battle videos. You'll do them right

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

God, I hope they optimized the poo poo out of this engine, because Attila ran terribly despite not looking much better than Rome 2. Any idea on when they are releasing the system specs for this? Steam page still has "to be confirmed".

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I liked the music and scenery. It gave the game a really grand "Lord of the Rings" type feel. The fun battle parts of LoTR at least.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The music in Karl Franz's trailer is godly, I seriously hope that's his theme in the game because god drat it was good.

Who's doing the OST this time around anyway? We know it isn't Jeff but this guy sounds way better than the dude they had for the other TW games.

BillBear fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 29, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
In more "What is GW thinking ?" It looks like they are completely discontinuing the Tomb King faction so the only way you'll be able to play your skeleman army with Egyptian themes will be in this game.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/02/gw-tomb-king-miniatures-going-going-almost-gone.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ironic that the faction which is the remains of ages past is now the remains of games past.

• Locked thread