Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Locked movement clowns the AI much harder than it does any human player that's not a complete idiot.

It also makes wars far less frustrating. I remember when the ai used to really abuse it's ability to micromanage movement and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

CharlestheHammer posted:

Prester John isn't medium easy. Also to this point no mechanics have been added that make the game harder that I know of.

Compared to some of the other stuff that's posted occasionally like those nutso Albania runs it is. besides, other than having to fight a grown ottos which is where I keep loving up, the rest of Africa and the ME are minnows compared to you

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
Idea for changing the annoying hostile core creation ideas: change them to minimum local autonomy ideas. If you changed the +50% core cost to +33% minimum LA you'd have the same cost/benefit ratio (normally you'd pay 90 admin to core a 3/3/3 province; with +50% core cost you pay 135 for those 9 dev; with this you pay 90 but it acts like a 2/2/2), so it could provide the same deterrence in AI calculations, but it feels less annoying to the player, and still lets you conquer if your goal is taking land away from the enemy vs. holding it for yourself (e.g. as Spain it doesn't matter how much trade power you get from Tangiers, you'll have 100% of Sevilla as long as Morocco doesn't control it). Maybe throw +5/10 years of separatism in there too to make it a bit more of a short-term pain.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

junidog posted:

Idea for changing the annoying hostile core creation ideas: change them to minimum local autonomy ideas. If you changed the +50% core cost to +33% minimum LA you'd have the same cost/benefit ratio (normally you'd pay 90 admin to core a 3/3/3 province; with +50% core cost you pay 135 for those 9 dev; with this you pay 90 but it acts like a 2/2/2), so it could provide the same deterrence in AI calculations, but it feels less annoying to the player, and still lets you conquer if your goal is taking land away from the enemy vs. holding it for yourself (e.g. as Spain it doesn't matter how much trade power you get from Tangiers, you'll have 100% of Sevilla as long as Morocco doesn't control it). Maybe throw +5/10 years of separatism in there too to make it a bit more of a short-term pain.

One thing that bugs me about increased coring: it never goes away. The province could change hands a dozen times and the original owner can lose the core (pretty sure on this one) and the increased cost will stay.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mr. Fowl posted:

One thing that bugs me about increased coring: it never goes away. The province could change hands a dozen times and the original owner can lose the core (pretty sure on this one) and the increased cost will stay.

If the toxic core leaves then the cost goes away too, I believe.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dibujante posted:

If the toxic core leaves then the cost goes away too, I believe.

Correct. It's possible to do weird tricks with this: if there's only one toxic core per province, you can take the provinces, release them as a vassal/client state, and then force the victim to renounce their cores on your vassal in a second war. Then you can annex your vassal without the cost increase.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

Compared to some of the other stuff that's posted occasionally like those nutso Albania runs it is. besides, other than having to fight a grown ottos which is where I keep loving up, the rest of Africa and the ME are minnows compared to you
Stuff like Byzantium and Albania aren't even hard they just require luck.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The announcement for Mare Nostrum reveals two new mechanics: trade leagues for merchant republics, and condottieri which means that you can rent out your armies to other nations and be paid.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Star posted:

The announcement for Mare Nostrum reveals two new mechanics: trade leagues for merchant republics, and condottieri which means that you can rent out your armies to other nations and be paid.

That sounds really cool, although I'm sure that renting out your army will generate some serious oh poo poo moments

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Star posted:

I don't recall the mission system for navy orders either.

Announcement posted:

If you control the sea lanes, you control the trade. If you control the trade, you control the world. It all sounds so easy. But first you need guns and ships and men to man them. It’s one thing to protect your coasts, but another to project power beyond them. Are you ready to make the ocean yours?

Mare Nostrum is the new expansion DLC for Paradox Development Studio’s best-selling historical grand strategy game Europa Universalis IV. For those of you not up on your Latin, “mare nostrum” was the old Roman term for the Mediterranean – it means “our sea”, reflecting the Roman goal to dominate the sea to protect the food and riches that were rowed into its ports.

Mare Nostrum, therefore, takes its name from the major changes made to the naval game in Europa Universalis. For example, your coastal provinces produce sailors who will be needed to man and repair the warships and transports you have come to rely on. A new mission system for naval orders simplifies naval management, and the Barbary Coast nations of North Africa can now raid their neighbors for gold and sailor conscripts.

Other features of Mare Nostrum will include:

•Condottieri: Rent out your soldiers as mercenaries to give an underdog a fighting chance while filling your treasury

•Trade Leagues: For merchant republics, the power of the purse is amplified by creating economic and military alliances

•Share Maps: Instead of waiting for the world to come to you, ask your friends if they have discoveries they are willing to share.

•PLUS; changes to diplomacy, subject nation management and much more. Mare Nostrum will be available soon from major digital retailers and the Paradox store.
Source

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

pointsofdata posted:

That sounds really cool, although I'm sure that renting out your army will generate some serious oh poo poo moments
In some way, I like the idea of having to trust the AI to not gently caress up too bad, but it would be kinda neat too if you had the option of controlling those units yourself. Using them well(meaning having a high war contribution relative to the size of the force) would build up your reputation, allowing you to command higher prices for your services, but falling to live up to your contract would mean being very unlikely to get another anytime soon. That way you would allow players who really like the warfare aspect of the game to continue doing their thing during periods of "downtime", rather than have the AI do what they like for them.

More generally, I hope this has the effect of making the HRE less blobby internally, with the AI favoring making money off mercenaries over rampant conquest, on top of the whole "giving the underdog a fighting chance".

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
If you did get to control your lent out armies, you might finally have something to do during regencies, so here's hoping it doesn't get handed entirely over to the AI.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I wonder what happens if someone declares war on you while your army is loaned out. Do you get it back?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Maybe with this new "army rental" mechanic, multiplayer could have stricter rules about everyone allying into one of two blocs for every single border skirmish and instead be required to rent out their armies if they're interested and not allied. I might even play again in that case.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Star posted:

Depending on if any places do Condottieri around start, this could make Byz start a liiiiittle less luck reliant.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm fairly certain that if you let players control the hired army they will just park it in the highest attrition province they can find to wear down that country's manpower before invading.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 1, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Barbary pirates, sailors, player staffed mercenaries. It seems like a list of untouchables we never expected to see outside of bad mods.

I might add trade leagues to that list but its something that would seem a lot more likely after the Hansa got busted up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Condottieri sound really peculiar, looking forward to the DD on that. Do loaned out armies use their manpower reserve or theirs? What happens when someone declares war while your troops are serving someone else? What happens when AI France lends 20k troops to every minor the player fights?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

What happens when AI France lends 20k troops to every minor the player fights?
Rage quits and a lot of complaining? :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Condottieri sound really peculiar, looking forward to the DD on that. Do loaned out armies use their manpower reserve or theirs? What happens when someone declares war while your troops are serving someone else? What happens when AI France lends 20k troops to every minor the player fights?
Yeah the game is already bad enough regarding the AI running its manpower down to zero and putting itself thousands in debt to win a border skirmish, where is Condottieri going to take us now?

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
It might be that you don't hire out actual army units, but rather a part of your manpower/force limit pool to give the buyers a bonus to theirs or whatever. Perhaps some extra or even discount mercenaries in that pool or some such? In the latter case, I could see them do a small rework on how many mercenary units you can hire without condottieri from other nations and their cost.

I am not a game designer though, so this is just my piece of armchair-generaling the making of a armchair-general simulator.

Hutter fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 1, 2016

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I hope condottieri are well implemented because I am looking forward to having a lot of fun with that in MP. I have basically been running a mercenary army in the current MP game I am in, where I rent out my stupidly strong army which has +45% infantry combat ability, +10% cavalry combat ability, +20 artillery combat ability, and 125% discipline, perma 70 army tradition and boatload of morale. It has seen a lot of dumb stuff happen, with my Bulgarian men fighting anywhere from Lubeck to Beijing. A proper system would be the best for that.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i think that instead of whatever they are doing they should tie manpower to a regional pool as well as a national one , with military tech influencing how big each is, so that in the early game theres a certain amount of troops that germany as a whole can support and nations within germany or neighbouring can recruit troops from them but as time goes on national pools get bigger. the idea that a war over 20 years that ravaged brandenburg would not have any affect on the ability of saxony to conduct war is pretty ridiculous i think, seeing as they would be hiring the same mercenaries

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean it's an interesting idea to be sure. I've definitely found myself wondering why the gently caress some AI started this war or that war against some mega-power, and wanted to help them not get annihilated. But me just giving them armies probably won't help that much, since the AI is pretty bad at trying to knock weaker allies out of a war. But I do wonder how it'll play out given the AI's current commitment to total war.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Another Person posted:

I hope condottieri are well implemented because I am looking forward to having a lot of fun with that in MP. I have basically been running a mercenary army in the current MP game I am in, where I rent out my stupidly strong army which has +45% infantry combat ability, +10% cavalry combat ability, +20 artillery combat ability, and 125% discipline, perma 70 army tradition and boatload of morale. It has seen a lot of dumb stuff happen, with my Bulgarian men fighting anywhere from Lubeck to Beijing. A proper system would be the best for that.

Even for a Bulgarian state, that seems like a lot of bonii.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

dublish posted:

Even for a Bulgarian state, that seems like a lot of bonii.

It is. I kinda built my entire idea set around being a merc and punching way above my weight. I control a lot of the Balkans and have like 12 highest level for the time forts there, which gives me a fair bit of army tradition, which helps maintain that silly level of AT. I took in this order...

Innovative
Quality
Economic
Offensive
Defensive

I am running the Inno-Qual policy, the siege speed one, Off-Eco and Qual-Eco.

Next up I might take Espionage just to make up for some of the lost monarch points on all those policies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tendronai posted:

If you did get to control your lent out armies, you might finally have something to do during regencies, so here's hoping it doesn't get handed entirely over to the AI.
That was definitely also something I had in mind.

Poil posted:

I'm fairly certain that if you let players control the hired army they will just park it in the highest attrition province they can find to wear down that country's manpower before invading.
That's a good argument in favor of letting the donator country retain control, assuming the army is based on their manpower.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wonder if Switzerland and the smaller Italian states will get national ideas boosting condottieri.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I'm a merchant republic but I want to transition to a monarchy (the trader phase is over), by forming westphalia. I'm trying to be made an elector which is a requirement. I have good ties to the emperor and an alliance but everytime one gets awarded some other fucker gets it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I wonder if Switzerland and the smaller Italian states will get national ideas boosting condottieri.
Instead of limiting it to national ideas, it would probably make sense to (also) have a bonus for any small country.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I'm a merchant republic but I want to transition to a monarchy (the trader phase is over), by forming westphalia. I'm trying to be made an elector which is a requirement. I have good ties to the emperor and an alliance but everytime one gets awarded some other fucker gets it.

From what I can tell, the AI strongly prefers giving it to OPMs. I've played a bunch of medium power games in the HRE, and never received an electorate.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

sloshmonger posted:

I don't recall the mission system for navy orders either.

I don't think it's shown up in the DDs yet. Actually very excited for that - it's gonna be tricky for them to pull off, but if they can streamline naval combat in the same way they did exploration, that'll be a huge improvement for the game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

I don't think it's shown up in the DDs yet. Actually very excited for that - it's gonna be tricky for them to pull off, but if they can streamline naval combat in the same way they did exploration, that'll be a huge improvement for the game.
Maybe some HoI stuff that's rubbing off on EU?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe some HoI stuff that's rubbing off on EU?
Please god.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Man, blobbing feels insane now. I am trying to Great Khan, but Juanpur have 200,000+ troops and are allied to Ottomans and Austria, they are a giant land road block and also own some of China so...argh. Guess it wouldn't be fun if it was easy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tsyni posted:

Man, blobbing feels insane now. I am trying to Great Khan, but Juanpur have 200,000+ troops and are allied to Ottomans and Austria, they are a giant land road block and also own some of China so...argh. Guess it wouldn't be fun if it was easy.
I agree that if it wasnt hard it wouldnt be easy, but the blob hugfests we are seeing right now are really silly sometimes. France, England, and Spain all being allied for 200 years is a little bananas, or the Ottomans helping the Russians invade China and the Russians happily marching armies down to Arabia to help the Ottomans fight Persia.

I love historical divergence and whatnot but some of the shenanigans lately are a little eye opening.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

I agree that if it wasnt hard it wouldnt be easy, but the blob hugfests we are seeing right now are really silly sometimes. France, England, and Spain all being allied for 200 years is a little bananas, or the Ottomans helping the Russians invade China and the Russians happily marching armies down to Arabia to help the Ottomans fight Persia.

I love historical divergence and whatnot but some of the shenanigans lately are a little eye opening.

There really aren't any good incentives to not ally the strongest country you can find and stay allied with them forever.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Mad at EU4 mechanics so posting to vent.

Doing a Holland -> Netherlands game and everything is going swimmingly. Austria lost the throne to Saxony and has been a supercool friend, war ally and general threat deterrent. The game just decided to ruin that for me:
Austria took some territory to join up Breisgau, Alsace and its other Western holdings with its main Eastern regions and unsurprisngly refused Saxony's demands of returning cores to Bohemia. This gave me a -180 relations malus with Austria, which made the Austria (read: the game) force break our alliance and prevented us from reallying for the better part of 100 years.

I'm now alone in an angry wilderness with no powerful friends. The kicker is that Austria would still accept an alliance with me if only I didn't hate them so much. Thanks EU4!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They should let you ally with someone you have a negative opinion of at the cost of a stab hit, kind of like declaring war on someone you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-mare-nostrum

It looks like there's a chance that Paradox is going to change up espionage ideas again, looking at all of these nice looking added options. That link also shows images of the condottieri mechanic at play. It apparently includes rental generals along with the army, which can probably sway more than a few wars. It'll definitely be an interesting expansion.

• Locked thread