Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I noticed that the straight pipes mod mentioned earlier in the thread was abandoned, had a bug that prevented the game from loading, and even when fixed shat up my crafting menu with 10 recipes. So I made one that only uses 3 (rotatable) recipes: elbow, T-junction and straight.
Technically they're storage tanks now but :ssh:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=20645

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
That reminds me: do the devs have any plans to overhaul oil? It feels like such a massive pain in the dick to set it all up, and for me at least it feels like non-progress until you get the whole infrastructure ready.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Grey Elephants posted:

That reminds me: do the devs have any plans to overhaul oil? It feels like such a massive pain in the dick to set it all up, and for me at least it feels like non-progress until you get the whole infrastructure ready.

I just quit as I hit up against that. It is quite a roadblock.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ego Trip posted:

Don't you need a win condition for your game to be complete, legally speaking? I remember something like that with Minecraft and the weird scrolling text after you kill the Ender Dragon.

if so, that's probably the only reason this is an early access game.

It's early access because it's not finished.

Games don't need a win condition. Neither Tetris or Pacman have win conditions and I'm pretty sure they're video games.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I modded my game to remove iron sticks.

Originally I was just modding rail tracks to require wood instead so that I have something to do with all that junk that doesn't require me to mod in a tree farm. But without those iron sticks are only used for your basic tools and lamps, at which point... why bother? You don't need to make many of either.
Honestly iron sticks feel like an idea they came up with way early in the game that didn't actually end up going anywhere but no one's bothered to remove. You already have a processed-iron item in the gears, and sticks don't offer anything different, nor is there any logistics challenge because barely anything requires them. Them being one of the few items still with placeholder art doesn't help.

I don't know, maybe I'm being silly about this, but I honestly feel like it's improved the game a little. Mostly because of the wooden tracks thing, admittedly.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So after playing Factorio all weekend I've come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, the thinking man's cookie clicker.

Not saying that's a bad thing, but definitely fun for all the same reasons.

Right now my current quest is to automate the manufacturing of green potions. I've almost cracked it.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

How playable and close to beta is this game? I saw in the OP it was supposed to release summer 2015 however its still in early access on steam.

It's basically 95% feature complete with a few details missing but nothing you're ever going to notice, really.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I really want the new rail stuff. Just the predictive rail laying alone will make my day, laying rail now without FARL is misery.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fans posted:

It's early access because it's not finished.

Games don't need a win condition. Neither Tetris or Pacman have win conditions and I'm pretty sure they're video games.

Not to argue that it's not finished but,

Tetris has grand master and Pac-Man you can overflow and break the point counter.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Applewhite posted:

So after playing Factorio all weekend I've come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, the thinking man's cookie clicker.

Right now my current quest is to automate the manufacturing of green potions. I've almost cracked it.

Once you get further a bit and unlock more systems the complexity ramps way up and you will solve problems to solve problems to solve problems that will make your game maybe a bit easier/automatic. It's cool.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Not to argue that it's not finished but,

Tetris has grand master and Pac-Man you can overflow and break the point counter.

This has a win condition. You launch the rocket.

Or build a factory so large your computer grinds to a halt (this may not be possible since the performance patch about 6 months ago).

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 29, 2016

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sillybones posted:

Yeah, same here. I don't find fluid management fun at all. I keep meaning to try one of those mods that lets you put any liquid into drums to avoid big pipe networks.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sillybones posted:

Oil and the blue science packs are a bit of a steep increase, they really could do with smoothing the whole sequence out but that'll come in a balance pass I imagine. While it may seem a little daunting, try saving your progress and just experiment with oil. Figure out how it works, how pipes work and what sort of layout you need. If you don't like it, reload and try again - it's worth it for the satisfaction when it clicks.

Applewhite posted:

Don't be shy about looking up hints or videos to see how other people have solved a problem. That said though, a lot of factorio things on the web no longer work because things like belt ends have changed so the layouts don't function if you just copy them. But they will work to show you a rough guide to how you might want to lay it out cleanly. Once you get red + green going, take a deep breath, save your game and start tinkering with oil.

For videos, I liked Negative Root's series on youtube. He's obviously played a lot and I picked up some nice tips (like 2 miners facing each other at the start of the game) from them. The series may be a little dated now but still worth watching IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVvkfXZxy84

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ModeSix posted:

This has a win condition. You launch the rocket.

Or build a factory so large your computer grinds to a halt (this may not be possible since the performance patch about 6 months ago).

I actually would love someone explain how this game can handle so much stuff going on at once so well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
lol right now the only thing I'm producing with oil is solid fuel which I hand deliver to my various boilers/ovens.

I can't wait until I get electric ovens.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

I actually would love someone explain how this game can handle so much stuff going on at once so well.

I think they may have actually talked about that in a dev blog a while back.

edit: Yeah, at least twice.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-121

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-117

It specifically talks about pathfinding implementations, but that's a big part of things.

The devs have spent a lot of time optimizing the performance on this game, I remember back in 0.9 or 0.10 that the performance was balls, and now it runs like a rocket engine on meth.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 29, 2016

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Yea performance here is insanely good for an indie game like this.
Think about DF and how it melts your processor when you have 30+ dwarfs.

Question: i was starting to look into mods, i'm kind of confused by DryTech vs Bob's. Are they conflicting as two totally different mods or one expands the other?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

RattiRatto posted:

Yea performance here is insanely good for an indie game like this.
Think about DF and how it melts your processor when you have 30+ dwarfs.

Question: i was starting to look into mods, i'm kind of confused by DryTech vs Bob's. Are they conflicting as two totally different mods or one expands the other?

Two totally different mods and unless they've been significantly revamped I'd avoid them because they add unnecessary complexity, like I know more complexity might be good, but in this case not really. Pick and choose portions of Dytech if you want, but don't install the whole suite. I think parts of them are compatible, treemod for one I think.

Edit: However until you've sunk 100+ hours into this, mods are probably unnecessary, the base game has a ton of content and you really don't need mods to make it 100% fun and playable unlike some other titles.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 29, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

lol right now the only thing I'm producing with oil is solid fuel which I hand deliver to my various boilers/ovens.

I can't wait until I get electric ovens.

Oil is a fairly limited resource which you need to produce electric engines (for robots), acid for batteries and plastic for circuits. Most designs use solid fuel only as a last resort to balance inputs, unless you're in the factorio equivalent of saudi arabia, you might want to save some crude ;)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Did they ever explain why they're charging $20.00 for the game instead of $19.99?

It actually sorta makes them stand out on the store page. Maybe it's a good thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This game really is a testament to what you can do with competent developers. Usually games will grind to a halt by the time they need to manage 1000 live objects. Yes, 3d space is quite a bit heavier on computational complexity than 2d space, but there's not an entire order of magnitude of difference. This game will happily chug along with a literal million things going on, on a fairly lovely cpu.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ratzap posted:

Oil is a fairly limited resource which you need to produce electric engines (for robots), acid for batteries and plastic for circuits. Most designs use solid fuel only as a last resort to balance inputs, unless you're in the factorio equivalent of saudi arabia, you might want to save some crude ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

I guess it's back to coal for me :/

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

I guess it's back to coal for me :/

Cut down all the trees and burn wood.

But yeah, don't convert to solid fuel until you have a really good production line going for the other oil products (plastic etc.) you have and know you're going to have an excess of oil.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In other news, I wiped out my first biter nest yesterday by leapfrogging turret clusters until I was able to build them close enough to blow up the nests.

The one in the nearby desert protected by worms is gonna be a little more trouble, though. Apparently worms are immune to normal bullets.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

For my current run I'm attempting to get off of coal as early as possible. I bootstrapped my way directly to solar research with a single steam engine running some assemblers and a lab, then I scrapped the engine and boilers.

I built a small plant to produce solar panels, and was able to expand it by taking its output and adding them to its own power supply.

My entire factory shuts down at night (for now, while I work toward accumulators), but my pollution footprint is nearly non-existent :yayclod:

Next steps will be switching over to electric furnaces, and building a plant to produce efficiency modules.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ModeSix posted:

Cut down all the trees and burn wood.

But yeah, don't convert to solid fuel until you have a really good production line going for the other oil products (plastic etc.) you have and know you're going to have an excess of oil.

I have very little wood in my area. I have one good-sized coal patch and about 10-12 oil spots.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Applewhite posted:

Go back and look at this post a month from now when you've got automated robotic production of large sections of factory that you can basically cut and paste at will, and marvel at how simple this task feels in restrospect. :-)

This game scratches the simple-to-learn-hard-to-master itch so well.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I remember being so self-satisfied when when I got red and green fully automated, and then looking at the requirements for blue... "mother fucker"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

Go back and look at this post a month from now when you've got automated robotic production of large sections of factory that you can basically cut and paste at will, and marvel at how simple this task feels in restrospect. :-)

This game scratches the simple-to-learn-hard-to-master itch so well.

Wait is there a way to cut and paste whole sections of factory or do you mean run around and duplicate it by hand?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Applewhite posted:

Wait is there a way to cut and paste whole sections of factory or do you mean run around and duplicate it by hand?

Blueprints + Construction Robots = You'll start designing all your factory sections to be modular so you can stamp out 1000 of them.

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 29, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Foehammer posted:

Blueprints + Construction Robots = You'll start designing all your factory sections to by modular so you can stamp out 1000 of them.

:swoon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Use heavy oil for lubricant, crack excess to light, use light oil exclusively for solid fuel. If you don't need solid fuel, crack the light oil into petroleum too. Use the advanced refinery thing that gives tons of petroleum gas since that's a lot more efficient IIRC.

Getting enough oil is always an issue because eventually all your pumpjacks are going to be 0.1/s sooner or later...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Is there a way to cross water? I can't access the wiki at work.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Applewhite posted:

Is there a way to cross water? I can't access the wiki at work.

Not without mods. It makes a good natural barrier against the biters, so use the water layout to build laser-filled choke points.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Are oil products still a bitch to deal with? What I mean is, I kept having to delete/rebuild my storage tanks on the output side of the refineries cause I couldn't use up heavy oil fast enough to get it out of the system, so the refineries would stop.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Still the same, yeah. Just rush past that stage to be able to convert your excesses into gas.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Are oil products still a bitch to deal with? What I mean is, I kept having to delete/rebuild my storage tanks on the output side of the refineries cause I couldn't use up heavy oil fast enough to get it out of the system, so the refineries would stop.

Just build more tanks :getin:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

I have a factory (look in my post history on this thread for THE BUS) that can construct automatically every object that is required to actually make itself, so technically speaking I could stamp the entire thing out on the landscape in a neverending self-replicating nightmare as long as I hooked up raw material inputs.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ModeSix posted:

I think they may have actually talked about that in a dev blog a while back.

edit: Yeah, at least twice.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-121

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-117

It specifically talks about pathfinding implementations, but that's a big part of things.

The devs have spent a lot of time optimizing the performance on this game, I remember back in 0.9 or 0.10 that the performance was balls, and now it runs like a rocket engine on meth.

Woah, pathfinding cache sounds rad. Thanks for these. Have they also said how game is keeping track of many thousands of drones at once without slowdown? They don't need pathfinding because they just fly over anything, but there can be unbelievable amounts of them.

Also also, do biters attack lone power lines and pipelines? I haven't seen that happen yet, but I want to be sure.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

SinineSiil posted:

Also also, do biters attack lone power lines and pipelines? I haven't seen that happen yet, but I want to be sure.

Only when their path is completely blocked. Biters will walk past lone power lines and underground pipe junctions out in the middle of nowhere.