Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Demiurge4 posted:

Annie can't possibly start dating a boy. It would totally drive away the readership who are all waiting on their chance to date her!

Furthermore

Annie was seen dating a boy and had to apologize to her fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Please tell me that this is some new and unrelated line of humor and not where you thought I was going with the mspaint comic.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It's a joke about anime and idol singers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wulfolme posted:

Please tell me that this is some new and unrelated line of humor and not where you thought I was going with the mspaint comic.

The joke is that

Lurdiak posted:

Is a thing that actually happens hahahaa I made myself sad :smith:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Annie goes full K-pop star and shaves her head

EDIT: And yes, it's a thing that happens, and it's gross, yay sexism where you can't be a female celebrity in Korea or Japan unless you're single so men can project their fantasies onto you :smith:

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Why can't the Japanese develop unhealthy fixations on fictional characters and the actors that portray them, like normal people...

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Calling it: the Enigmarons have returned, and Dr. Disaster has gone missing. Winston drew the short straw and has to tell Annie that she's the new commander, and will have to struggle with a thankless new life of potentially sending spacemonauts to their doom, spacemonauts who were barely off the rocket.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ditocoaf posted:

Keep in mind, we last knew Winsbury and Janet were 'a thing' over a year ago (in story time). Can't assume that characters are held in stasis when you aren't seeing them on the comic page. And real teenagers don't tend to have one crush then date them for their entire school career.

Keep in mind that this is a story and it shows us things in order to tell a story. Janet is pissed, winsbury is apathetic, it's pretty clear that something dumb is going on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Keep in mind that this is a story and it shows us things in order to tell a story. Janet is pissed, winsbury is apathetic, it's pretty clear that something dumb is going on.

I dunno guy, this scene we're getting right now doesn't read apathetic or insincere to me. It reads nervous and awkward but sincere.

It doesn't rule out the possibility of shenanigans but is this believable as a nervous teenage boy bumbling his way towards asking a girl he likes out on a date? Yeah.

More importantly the vocabulary meltdown going on in the middle panels is hilarious.

Edit: Did Kat have a similar vocabulary breakdown at some point? The sequence feels familiar.

Even the hand gestures. It feels like a callback.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 29, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I dunno guy, this scene we're getting right now doesn't read apathetic or insincere to me. It reads nervous and awkward but sincere.

This is my read as well. When even Annie is picking up on your distress, that doesn't point to apathy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
He didn't even remember or think about this weird plan when the other kids were like "wink wink nudge".

Like cmon this isn't "a read", this is what's happening. He's probably doing this to hide his and Janet's thing cause they're dumb.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 29, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, Willie looks an awful lot like Kamlen at this age.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

He didn't even remember or think about this weird plan when the other kids were like "wink wink nudge".

Like cmon this isn't "a read", this is what's happening. He's probably doing this to hide his and Janet's thing cause they're dumb.

Or you know, he was being an awkward teenager who didn't recognize a shove when hes being given one.

Realistically you can read everything up to this point one of two ways, but neither is really disproved yet.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
If they're still dating, why would they have to keep it a secret to all their friends after Faraway Morning? You guys are way too eager to be faked out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
My favorite thing about Gunnerkrigg is it reminds us all that goons don't understand social situations and can't read people or actions for poo poo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Dragon Ball

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Poor Winsbury. I've been in that situation.

So, what do you think Annie's reaction is going to be? Best guess, confused embarrassment. Funniest? She accepts, but wonders if he can paint his skin green.

Also, I'm expecting Annie to ask about Janet, because it was kind of obvious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Note to Self posted:

If they're still dating, why would they have to keep it a secret to all their friends after Faraway Morning?

Because the Headmaster would freak the gently caress out and it's hard to trust so many people to keep a secret?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Because the Headmaster would freak the gently caress out and it's hard to trust so many people to keep a secret?

So the solution is to fake date a girl with an overbearing father with ties to the school who probably wouldn't approve.

That's a dumb idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So the solution is to fake date a girl with an overbearing father with ties to the school who probably wouldn't approve.

That's a dumb idea.

I'm not saying I buy into the idea that this is all a complex ruse, but there are obvious reasons they wouldn't tell anyone if they were still dating.

Also the author comment should've been "Dragon Dragon, rock the Dragon, Dragonball Z"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not saying I buy into the idea that this is all a complex ruse, but there are obvious reasons they wouldn't tell anyone if they were still dating.

Also the author comment should've been "Dragon Dragon, rock the Dragon, Dragonball Z"

Oh I know you don't I'm just saying that's probably the dumbest way to read any of the recent pages. Occam's razor and all that.

Also Cha La Head cha la was and is the better opening :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh I know you don't I'm just saying that's probably the dumbest way to read any of the recent pages. Occam's razor and all that.

Also Cha La Head cha la was and is the better opening :colbert:

I dunno, what about dragonboule zed zed zed zed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ1NcxAZUYk

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

i had too much fun making this someone stop me before i humiliate myself further

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Tea-san parachute account

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wulfolme posted:

i had too much fun making this someone stop me before i humiliate myself further

This reminded me about Salad Fingers IDK why

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Can someone get Vegeta a hand towel or possibly a bucket before he drowns in his own flop sweat

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

We've had bits for the last two hundred pages from both Kat and Paz reminding the reader of William being upset with Annie being held back and heading up efforts to reach out to her, as with the card. In this context, "absence made the heart grow fonder and he and Janet had a falling out over his persistent preoccupation with another girl" seems like a much simpler and more human explanation than fake dating a girl so that another girls dad doesn't find out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Come on guys clearly Janet is annoyed with Vegeta's flirting with Annie because of some long con super plan to make it look like shes not dating him anymore and to make sure no one knew she and Vegeta are getting their friends, including Kat to help then.

Or maybe Janet's bothered watching her ex flirt with a mutual friend. Either/or situation really.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Janet is angry because William isn't dating Jack instead because she wanted to date Annie herself.
:goonsay:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Janet is angry because William isn't dating Jack instead because she wanted to date Annie herself.
:goonsay:

How did you get access to my secret fanfic folder?

Also if Winsbury and Janet really were doing some kind of false flag dating operation to fake out daddy, Annie is probably the worst possible option. They've been classmates for years, and even if you're oblivious you would have eventually noticed that she's got this whole fire thing going on. You really want to mess with fire girl's emotions? Even an idiot would at least don an asbestos apron before trying that.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Winsbury is going to steal Blue away from Red because his hair goes up harder than Red's ever could.

Also, Matt and Winsbury are in the same house as Annie and co, right? I know that we've seen how everybody else in that house has some kind of special talent going on, but we haven't seen either of theirs, right? (Besides Winsbury being a street-horse-racing champion, because he keeps that on the down-low).

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Bilirubin posted:

Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Dragon Ball Dragon Ball

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

So far all we've seen him do is be decent at archery, although Janet clearly one-ups him there. Maybe his superpower is making his hair go up?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
His superpower is gradually altering the reality around him so as to slowly turn Gunnerkrigg Court into Dragonball Z fanfiction.

Within the next ten chapters, Annie gets a name change to Goku.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Come on guys clearly Janet is annoyed with Vegeta's flirting with Annie because of some long con super plan to make it look like shes not dating him anymore and to make sure no one knew she and Vegeta are getting their friends, including Kat to help then.

Or maybe Janet's bothered watching her ex flirt with a mutual friend. Either/or situation really.

Alternately: well, I guess it could be that the characters who have been going to ridiculous lengths to hide their relationship from everyone are still going to ridiculous lengths to hide their relationship from everyone. Or maybe they just broke up off screen and the fact that this all looks weird and awkward is a coincidence, and even after breaking up, they still didn't tell anyone they were dating in the first place (since nobody would be dumb enough to bring the ex to the Get With Annie party if they knew).

Tom has clearly written this understanding that we don't know exactly what the heck is going on and kind of want to find out. He wouldn't omit their breakup if he didn't want us to be asking the question here. It's not unreasonable to take either position and, as with the past several times people have jumped to conclusions about things in the comic, just saying "the answer is clearly X" is a fool's errand.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Vegeta Did Nothing Wrong.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's very unrealistic to me that Annie would ever even consider dating a man who blew up entire planets for a bloodthirsty galactic tyrant. I'm gonna stop reading the comic if this happens.
:qqsay:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alright, so I'm pretty sure that Vegeta honestly wants to date Annie.

But will Annie want to date Vegeta? Saiyans aren't really known for being reliable romantic partners.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

BobTheJanitor posted:

How did you get access to my secret fanfic folder?

Also if Winsbury and Janet really were doing some kind of false flag dating operation to fake out daddy, Annie is probably the worst possible option. They've been classmates for years, and even if you're oblivious you would have eventually noticed that she's got this whole fire thing going on. You really want to mess with fire girl's emotions? Even an idiot would at least don an asbestos apron before trying that.

im gonna make a gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Alright, so I'm pretty sure that Vegeta honestly wants to date Annie.

But will Annie want to date Vegeta? Saiyans aren't really known for being reliable romantic partners.

Annie has been consistently shown to be more comfortable socially interacting with non-humans. Dating a saiyan might work for her.