Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

OK Fair, I guess all-out-civil-war is a bit sensationalist and extreme, but pockets of armed conflict? Or am I just going too hard on the "Trump supporters are all literally just looking for excuses to shoot people and America is a powderkeg"?

Oregon was a pretty good demonstration of this recently - these folks are happy to talk big and strut around, but they almost all fold when actually called on to take action. There'll be a lot of disgusting stuff like arson and hate-filled graffiti during the middle of the night and one or two who are crazy enough to commit suicide by cop, but for the most part? Lots of big talk and not a lot of action. Because actual revolution requires sacrifice, and there's very few people on either side of the aisle who can stomach that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

So looking ahead a few months, how bad do you all think the convention will go?

It will have to be a bit to top the 1964 one. That one had Eisenhower's niece being sexually assaulted on the floor by Goldwater's goons and saw a black delegate set on fire. So we probably won't see that. But how bad do you think?

Catching up with this thread so this is late but

quote:

When finished, Senator Hugh Scott offered the first amendment at 10:00 p.m., condemning the Ku Klux Klan, the Communist Party, and the John Birch Society. Governor Rockefeller sought to address the convention on this amendment, and this is when the Goldwater delegates issued their loud "boos" to drown him out. The convention took a standing vote to defeat the measure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_1964#The_convention

Lincoln's party at work!

BTW anywhere where I can read about the assault and fire thing? Can't seem to find anything on it.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Looking at DSW hate year by year Id say the misogyny aspect is recent - the anti-dsw movement started in 2008 when she was choosing which candidates got funds from the red-to-blue project. Due to Obama a lot of far left candidates felt confident that change was in the air and the surge of voters that Obama would bring meant they could be far left and still win solid red districts. So they applied for red to blue grants.

Of course they were denied.

Edit: wasn't done but elbow got jiggled on the phone post.

Strategically giving them red to blue grants made no sense as you need moderate dems to flip conservative districts. There is only so much money to go around. Also, given two applicants with equal chance to flip and only enough money for one, it makes sense from a party perspective to target the seat whose current holder is more of a dick to work with. So the old school OMG DWS Sucks!!!!!! stuff on the web is isolated to far left echo chambers and accuses her of being a secret republican for allocating money to centrist dems over progressive ones and not gunning for reasonable republicans if there was a right winger that might go down instead.

Her selection of seats to target in 2008 was good although you can argue that would have happened sans grants due to Obama.

Hanging all their angst on her appears to have grown over the years as later elections lost majorities ... Although you can argue that would have happened anyway sans DWS cause dems and midterms have historically sucked.

If you are emotionally biased, however, then you apply a different rubric to each case and seek to blame the good on externalities and the bad on the woman herself without rigorously establishing causality in either.

Bernie changed the tone of DWS criticisms through a combination of new narrative and cross pollinating the far left with sexist dems who support him purely because Clinton is a woman ( not because he's actively courting them, Unrustle your jimmies ). So she is no longer secret republican but rather an Establishment loyalist plotting against Bernie to back Clinton. The "bad things happen because she is bad" narrative got a spritz of affirmative action complaining - for surely the blind promotion of an unqualified woman is to blame for her still holding office - and the "we are mad at her for not getting us money" narrative became subsumed in complaints about how she is raising money for everyone else. Bernie rhetoric giving sour grapes an air of nobility - we never wanted her filthy money in the first place cause it's tainted!

There is some conflict between the Bernie and Sexist narratives as Bernie's narrative requires her to be a competent loyal follower while the sexist narrative wants to paint her as incompetent and transgressing gender roles by being out purely for herself.

Here is some vintage DWS hate from 2008. Note the different tone and themes:

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/blog/453-debbie-wasserman-schultz-forgets-who-her-friends-are

McAlister fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 29, 2016

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

lol

I saw this trending on Twitter, with your average Crowder / right-wing types all fake-shocked about how they think "DEMOCRATIC NEW YORK" is going to be in play this year.

Good to see they're just as delusional as ever this election.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A lot of the DWS hate is because the Democrats are losing everywhere but the executive, and whoever was presiding over it would get roasted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zoux posted:

A lot of the DWS hate is because the Democrats are losing everywhere but the executive, and whoever was presiding over it would get roasted.

Democrats have lost everywhere but the executive in large part because of her policies and won the executive because of Obama not DWS. She's done a poo poo job in charge of everything and has only not been fired because she claims sexism/antisemitism.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mr. Nice! posted:

Democrats have lost everywhere but the executive in large part because of her policies and won the executive because of Obama not DWS. She's done a poo poo job in charge of everything and has only not been fired because she claims sexism/antisemitism.

Every time a democrat loses it is a referendum that they were too "left". The party just needs to recenter itself as a group of moderates. It is not DWS' fault that voters are disconnected from what she wants.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bullfrog posted:

lol

I saw this trending on Twitter, with your average Crowder / right-wing types all fake-shocked about how they think "DEMOCRATIC NEW YORK" is going to be in play this year.

Good to see they're just as delusional as ever this election.
My first reaction here was "good, let the Republicans waste money in New York", but then I remembered that the pile of available money for the Republicans is now effectively infinite, so my second reaction is to just be sad for the New Yorkers that would be subjected to battleground state levels of election propaganda.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr Hootington posted:

Every time a democrat loses it is a referendum that they were too "left". The party just needs to recenter itself as a group of moderates. It is not DWS' fault that voters are disconnected from what she wants.

Or they could actually spend money on downticket races and actually try o fight against republicans.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

You know how we make fun of Republicans for moving to the right whenever they lose?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

She's done a poo poo job in charge of everything and has only not been fired because she claims sexism/antisemitism.

Baller analysis!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't know how much DWS was involved with Gwen Graham's campaign but it was the most aggressive senate campaign I've ever experienced as a voter in my adult life. If people nationwide actually put in that amount of effort we'd see more change.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't like DWS but has there been any proof to the 'SHE THREATENED THE JEWESS CARD' other than a single article citing an unnamed source 'close to her'?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I mean the best they could do to get Crist elected in florida was to try to rely on potheads to vote. There has to be a better way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mr Hootington posted:

Pretty much this. People can make fun of "Bernouts" for being too idealistic all they want, but many of them really don't have a leg to stand on being that their "slow and steady" model results in them losing elections. Yeah so what the Republicans are crazy and don't compromise? They keep winning elections regardless and it is only a matter of time before they win the presidency.

I'm not saying "revolution today", but the fact is that the '90s are over and the country has changed. DWS strategy just isn't feasible in this day in age.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 29, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anyway as you can see people don't know why DWS is bad they just have a sense that she is because she's presiding over the D's failing at state and off-year elections.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

zoux posted:

Anyway as you can see people don't know why DWS is bad they just have a sense that she is because she's presiding over the D's failing at state and off-year elections.

I mean, that's still a legitimate reason.

It's far more likely that, as with many politicians, she is remaining in her post more from her ties to influential D's than anything else. The whole "she is playing the woman/Jew card!" thing is very Reddit-esque.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sure, 2006 and 2008 make Dean and Kaine(? I think he was the chair at that time but it may have still been Dean) look really good due to the late-term hatred for Bush and the 2008 Obama coattails, but the 50-state strategy really capitalized on the ability of the executive's popularity (or unpopularity re: Bush) to drive results at the polls. It also stretched the GOP thin as hell moneywise and ended up with pickups that were kind of improbable (Tester for example) because the GOP kept playing the "key seats" game while the Dems fielded people everywhere. That meant that the massive money flowing into a handful of seats meant a hell of a lot less because for every Missouri or North Carolina spot the GOP snatched up, the Dems grabbed seats in places like Montana and the Dakotas and whatnot where the GOP thought they were safe as hell. It resulted in some blue dogs, sure, but the end result was reliable majorities with a crunch time supermajority on occasion. The GOP has the outside money advantage, playing their shortlist game is loving dumb and it's a good part of why things hit so hard in 2010/12/14. The only thing that didn't make those years worse was that the GOP posted up some absolute nutjobs who scared the poo poo out of the electorate and saw the Dem win in the general. "They're just too crazy" is a bad strategy to rely on. Use it to your advantage while it's there but it sure as hell isn't going to last forever and you're basically ceding your destiny over to the hope that the other party just keeps loving up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Discussing assassination is generally frowned on because SA has already gotten Lowtax too many Secret Service visits

Hold on, back up. I know about the one that got LF shut down. Have there been more since? :psyduck:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

Hold on, back up. I know about the one that got LF shut down. Have there been more since? :psyduck:
a couple from helldump, one from GBS

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Mitt Romney posted:

Obama approval rating in Georgia seems unusually high:

https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/704109860862820352

This doesn't surprise me that much. Georgia's the red state that's closest to turning purple, even closer than Texas though that one gets more attention. Atlanta is a fast-growing city and the vast majority of that growth comes from minorities. The DNC should really be dumping an above average level of resources into GOTV efforts here, which means they probably aren't :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chokes McGee posted:

That's the only one that I'm aware of, but one too many.

I mean, you can only execute plan b so many times.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vyelkin posted:

The Secret Service is really good at preventing this kind of thing these days, and one of their ironclad rules is to not publicize attempts because they inspire copycats. I'm sure there have been attempts on Obama's life, but you'll never learn about them, and that's a good thing.

I remember reading a solid article a year or two ago, it may have been in Motherboard or Ars Technica, about the SS and FBI agents whose job it is to monitor the absolute poo poo out of "the most vile places on the internet," as the article put it, for POTUS security threats.

The basic takeaway was that there isn't a white power forum on the net that doesn't get regular attention from the Feds, to say nothing of 4chan/8chan/etc. And as we found out the hard way a few years ago, even a site like SA will have agents all over it in a hot second if there's so much as a shred of credible threat to sniff out. They don't gently caress around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/704333198394834944

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

I am tired of the media not calling him on the fact that he is an enormous liar with no solid policy positions. Wolf Blitzer babbling after the debate about how much detail of his policies he gave in the last debate was a loving joke. Call them on their lies media, you worthless bunch of trashmen.

Trump not having details for his plans/policies is standard SOP for the GOP. See Obamacare and the replacement. Ryan being the hot new "numbers" guy.

Romney didn't have details during the debates with Obama and Obama used that against Mittens. Hell I'm 99% sure that the excuse "It's a secret, if we tell you they'll copy our AMAZING IDEA" was used.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Finally someone willing to bring light to the Truth. It was 19 illegals backed by nabisco, Ford, and the North Koreans. It was the spiciest salsa/sriracha from that side of the rio grande that melted those steel beams.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Exactly. GOP candidates have had easy mode for years where they are allowed to say lies, not explain their positions or how their plans are supposed to work, and use thinly veiled dog whistles to signal their base that they hate the right people without much, if any, sort of critique. Trump is just more in your face and unapologetic about it and pundits, party insiders, and the media in general are SHOCKED that this is happening.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean the best they could do to get Crist elected in florida was to try to rely on potheads to vote. There has to be a better way.

Floridian here. Everyone I know who voted for Crist did so very reluctantly because the alternative was Lord Voldemort, and I know several who asked why they should have bothered because it was a choice between a Republican and a we-swear-he's-not-a-Republican.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crist is a turd but he's our turd, dammit. Voldemort is the worst governor in the history of the universe.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

Not if we have a President who is willing to resoundingly defeat Daesh and put the fear of God into Earth's armed homunculi. E=MC^2 is more true than any Holy Book. It is ideas and mindsets that have power - not dead paper.

\/ I don't think they have the guts. The people who own the media/organizing apparatus have just as much to lose by destabilizing the Federal Government. The Koch Brothers want a hostile takeover / asset sell-off, not Civil War.

I'm not talking about the Kochs. I am talking about the militia types. The muslim haters. The White supremacists.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cythereal posted:

Floridian here. Everyone I know who voted for Crist did so very reluctantly because the alternative was Lord Voldemort, and I know several who asked why they should have bothered because it was a choice between a Republican and a we-swear-he's-not-a-Republican.
And speaking as a fellow Floridian the pot thing didn't work either....it got over 50% but it fell short of the 60% required to make it law. So we're doing it all over again in November.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Cythereal posted:

I'm in Tallahassee. I understand. I voted for Crist too because gently caress anything is better than Rick only not in jail because of pleading the fifth and being wealthy Scott. But the only thing they did at all to drive people to the polls that might vote for crist was John Morgan dumping millions into medical marijuana. I'm a bit of a pothead myself and know quite a few. I have a dozen people off the top of my head I know that flat out didn't vote either because they didn't understand that election day was the last day to vote or were just completely apathetic.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Sure, 2006 and 2008 make Dean and Kaine(? I think he was the chair at that time but it may have still been Dean) look really good due to the late-term hatred for Bush and the 2008 Obama coattails, but the 50-state strategy really capitalized on the ability of the executive's popularity (or unpopularity re: Bush) to drive results at the polls. It also stretched the GOP thin as hell moneywise and ended up with pickups that were kind of improbable (Tester for example) because the GOP kept playing the "key seats" game while the Dems fielded people everywhere. That meant that the massive money flowing into a handful of seats meant a hell of a lot less because for every Missouri or North Carolina spot the GOP snatched up, the Dems grabbed seats in places like Montana and the Dakotas and whatnot where the GOP thought they were safe as hell. It resulted in some blue dogs, sure, but the end result was reliable majorities with a crunch time supermajority on occasion. The GOP has the outside money advantage, playing their shortlist game is loving dumb and it's a good part of why things hit so hard in 2010/12/14. The only thing that didn't make those years worse was that the GOP posted up some absolute nutjobs who scared the poo poo out of the electorate and saw the Dem win in the general. "They're just too crazy" is a bad strategy to rely on. Use it to your advantage while it's there but it sure as hell isn't going to last forever and you're basically ceding your destiny over to the hope that the other party just keeps loving up.

This is the conversation we need to be having. The Democrats need much better talent at the top. It isn't over whether DWS is a Hillary Schill. Its that she is a vary incompetent person. If she could have kept the Senate in 2014. We wouldn't be having this conversation. But DWS has proven time and again she cannot do her job. and it isn't sexist to demand someone else get the job over her.

Also I am not sugesting we are headed towards CW2. But towards a period of general unrest where terrorism from the right will become much more common.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 29, 2016

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Radish posted:

I think 99% of Trump supporters want someone else to do it so they don't have to actually put themselves in danger or get in trouble.

Freep is a perfect example of this. They've been talking about the impending Civil War 2 since 2006. It's easy to be a tough guy anonymously on the internet. An actual group of armed insurgents against the government would either be quickly dispatched and universally condemned or allowed to wilt away and become a national laughing stock (the Cliven Bundy people).

An actual armed conflict isn't going to happen because despite our high rate of firearm ownership, the government's ability to project targeted violence is greater than at any time in human history. The gap between what a yokel can do with an AR and a JTF can do with their arsenal grows larger every day.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

I think the crazies would do it if given the chance. The establishment and donors would try and stop it, but I can see a Bevin situation that spins out of control. I also wonder if a civil war would happen if a state secede or would they be let go and walled off.

Personally I like the latter option. Let all the Cruz and Trump voters move to Texas and pay to build their own wall. Within a decade they will be asking to rejoin the union.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

This is the conversation we need to be having. The Democrats need much better talent at the top. It isn't over whether DWS is a Hillary Schill. Its that she is a vary incompetent person. If she could have kept the Senate in 2014. We wouldn't be having this conversation. But DWS has proven time and again she cannot do her job. and it isn't sexist to demand someone else get the job over her.

Also I am not sugesting we are headed towards CW2. But towards a period of general unrest where terrorism from the right will become much more common.

I hear this a lot, but would you care to elaborate on how DWS isn't doing her job or is doing it poorly, like specifically where is she failing?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Crowsbeak posted:

Is there some deep reason why so many people have trouble writing shill? It's not spelled like obsolete Austrian currency!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I remember reading a solid article a year or two ago, it may have been in Motherboard or Ars Technica, about the SS and FBI agents whose job it is to monitor the absolute poo poo out of "the most vile places on the internet," as the article put it, for POTUS security threats.

The basic takeaway was that there isn't a white power forum on the net that doesn't get regular attention from the Feds, to say nothing of 4chan/8chan/etc. And as we found out the hard way a few years ago, even a site like SA will have agents all over it in a hot second if there's so much as a shred of credible threat to sniff out. They don't gently caress around.

That doesn't surprise me. GiP has a government guy reading their stuff to make sure that nobody starts talking about poo poo that they shouldn't be on the internet.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

If she could have kept the Senate in 2014.

You vastly vastly overstate the power of the DNC Chair. First, that's the job of the DSCC anyway. Second, no one ever actually makes a coherent argument as to how DWS could have personally saved the Senate.

The common complaint that she didn't support progressives enough wouldn't have done anything for the senate. I wouldn't blame DWS for the anti-Obama feelings in 2010/2014 because the campaigns themselves didn't want to align with Obama, so she couldn't have forced him on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

Finally someone willing to bring light to the Truth. It was 19 illegals backed by nabisco, Ford, and the North Koreans. It was the spiciest salsa/sriracha from that side of the rio grande that melted those steel beams.
While I have no doubts that habaneros melt gabacho anusbeams, I don't think sriracha would be of any use.

Unzip and Attack posted:

An actual armed conflict isn't going to happen because despite our high rate of firearm ownership, the government's ability to project targeted violence is greater than at any time in human history. The gap between what a yokel can do with an AR and a JTF can do with their arsenal grows larger every day.
Yokel Haram thinks that the Army will be falling over itself to support We The Patriots. It's some Hail Hydra poo poo where the call will be given and all of a sudden the drone pilots, guys with keys to the munitions lockers, and dudes in tanks turn the guns on the commie pinko liberals.

The reality would be more like the A10 missions in Modern Warfare. "Hey Bob, there's a REALLY fat guy with a bunch of pouches tacticrawling his way towards the trucks...BRRRRAPPPPPPPPP"

• Locked thread