Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
FTV Sets are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Count Bleck posted:

So basically what this means is he's going to try his hardest to make sure nothing good gets printed with madness on it.

That's development's job. Other fun facts from the article:
- Megamorph is the least-popular mechanic of all time
- Rebound was apparently the most popular mechanic in the block despite not having a single good card (sorry Narset)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

That's development's job. Other fun facts from the article:
- Megamorph is the least-popular mechanic of all time
- Rebound was apparently the most popular mechanic in the block despite not having a single good card (sorry Narset)

Huh? The NAME was stupid but the mechanic was awesome.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It was bigger morph. That's really unexciting.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
theres a few good megamorphs in terms of cost ratio, but thats mainly Den Protector and Ire Shaman and such. The rest feel clunky because their flip costs take into account the +1/+1 counter in a way Morph didnt have to.

it also is just a terribly uncreative take on morph itself; at the end any good to megamorph is from it being still morph.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

Apparently morph itself is already fairly polarising, and I guess people thought it wasn't different enough from morph to justify a new mechanic?

Personally, I think it seems kind of redundant to have creatures with turned-face-up abilities also make the creature bigger

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Megamorph is the dumbest name ever.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Least popular of all time is still surprising

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Like they could easily just have made the mechanic morph and then printed a bunch, but maybe not all, that got +1/+1 counters when they flipped.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

This mechanic would rank lower, except it was so poorly received by the players. My guess is if we ever wanted it to come back, we'd just refer to it as morph and have the +1/+1 counters spelled out. I think we might have forever burned the name "megamorph" (which was a goofy name to begin with).

I think he meant "higher", but that's a pretty definitive takedown

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

:) "Well, it's +1/+1 more, isn't it? You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing regular morphs. Where can you go from there? Where?"
:confused: "I don't know."
:) "Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?"
:confused: "Put a +1/+1 counter on it."
:) "Exactly. +1/+1 more."
:confused: "Why don't you just make the morph bigger to begin with and then they'll be bigger when they flip."
:) "... These are +1/+1 more."

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Also they ran really hard into the 5-cost rule with megamorph, so there's a bunch of cheap megamorphs with 1 toughness and then a bunch of overcosted 5+s

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Apparently morph itself is already fairly polarising, and I guess people thought it wasn't different enough from morph to justify a new mechanic?

Personally, I think it seems kind of redundant to have creatures with turned-face-up abilities also make the creature bigger

Anyone who doesn't like morph as a mechanic is a terrible person.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
FTV Lore

LOREthos

Hakim, LOREweaver

and I'm out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Calciform Pools

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rimusutera posted:

Like they could easily just have made the mechanic morph and then printed a bunch, but maybe not all, that got +1/+1 counters when they flipped.

It was especially disappointing after Manifest did something new and unconventional (regardless of whether it worked well in limited).

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Also they ran really hard into the 5-cost rule with megamorph, so there's a bunch of cheap megamorphs with 1 toughness and then a bunch of overcosted 5+s

The mega flip costs definitely felt more awkward.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Least popular of all time is still surprising

its not of all time just of the block

the least popular of all-time is prob Phasing or Echo, negative mechanics aren't especially well-received, regardless of the actual power of the cards

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gridlocked posted:

Anyone remember Andrey Yanyuk?

yes he owns an esports team/organization now :suicide:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mandatory lesbian posted:

the least popular of all-time is prob Phasing or Echo, negative mechanics aren't especially well-received, regardless of the actual power of the cards

There's no way it's not banding

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The least interesting and least inspired mechanic of the block is the least popular? Holy Sh*t next you'll tell me Inspired polled worse than Heroic!

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

No, it is all time, but phasing probably predates their market research

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Megamorph is probably unpopular because of its similarity to morph and stupid name. If you're looking at the actual power level/design of the cards I think it's significantly better than morph, but it's just not new.

I would actually rate Ferocious pretty highly just due to how well-balanced its cards were

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

There's no way it's not banding

there are a lot of terrible mechanics I didn't mention but yeah Banding is def in contention

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Ferocious isn't bad, it's just really boring.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

If anyone was curious about the top 8 from my modern event on the 20th, the lists are up.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11690&f=MO

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

No, it is all time, but phasing probably predates their market research

Oop re-read it and yeah it is of all time, my bad

i still stand by Phasing or Echo being worse but it would be interesting if they like, elucidated on when they started doing Market Research so we could know

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Did that art of Sorin, Nahiri, and Ugin looking over the solidified bodies of the Eldrazi Titans ever get used on a card? If not, I bet that'll be in the new FtV. It seems quite lorish.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Pussy Snorkel posted:

If anyone was curious about the top 8 from my modern event on the 20th, the lists are up.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11690&f=MO

Only one Eldrazi deck in that top 8? Pretty sweet.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Oop re-read it and yeah it is of all time, my bad

i still stand by Phasing or Echo being worse but it would be interesting if they like, elucidated on when they started doing Market Research so we could know

Echo came back in TSP which was definitely in the market research era, also I think they did enough interesting things with it for it to not be hated

End of Life Guy posted:

Did that art of Sorin, Nahiri, and Ugin looking over the solidified bodies of the Eldrazi Titans ever get used on a card? If not, I bet that'll be in the new FtV. It seems quite lorish.

They commission art for story moments that aren't going to be on cards now, like the one of Elspeth getting shanked

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
From the Vault: We Had Some Art Laying Around

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
FTV: ~LORE~

1. Academy Ruins
  2. All Suns' Dawn
  3. Braids, Cabal Minion
  4. Catastrophe
  5. Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
  6. Griselbrand
  7. Jhoira of the Ghitu
  8. Kamahl, Fist of Krosa
  9. Mangara of Corondor
  10. Mirari
  11. Momir Vig, Simic Visionary
  12. Narset, Enlightened Master
  13. Saffi Eriksdotter
  14. Thassa, God of the Sea
  15. Zur, the Enchanter

:getin:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Count Bleck posted:

Only one Eldrazi deck in that top 8? Pretty sweet.

That looks like a fun meta.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Only 2 Eldrazi in the top 8 of the SCG Classic this weekend. And Jund won which is just amazing to me. I have no idea how that deck wins tournaments.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Ah, yes, one of Magic's greatest lore characters, Momir Vig, Simic Visiionary.

What an iconic card that... he uh.... does something with +1/+1 counters probably, right?

Oh, okay. Because I'm sure everyone is clamoring for a superfoil version of this.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you've heard about EDH right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Momir is probably one of the most popular ~casual commanders~ and was pretty much the big bad of the RAV novels.

He's dogshit unplayable for any real constructed format ever, but as far as ~LORE~ people go, he's a home run.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yea, I read the Lore.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I hope this is actually a paper printing of the Momir Vig avatar, and this is foreshadowing the replacement of the Modern Pro Tour with a Momir Basic Pro Tour.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

yes he owns an esports team/organization now :suicide:

Is he still mentally unstable (of course he is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Ah, yes, one of Magic's greatest lore characters, Momir Vig, Simic Visiionary.

What an iconic card that... he uh.... does something with +1/+1 counters probably, right?

Oh, okay. Because I'm sure everyone is clamoring for a superfoil version of this.

best vanguard avatar tho

• Locked thread