Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
When I first started reading the manga after the anime went on hiatus I was a little confused as to why people were so dismissive and forgetful of previous events in FT. Ever since I made the switch I've kind of figured out why that was. The anime made things way more memorable to me, the soundtrack and seeing fights in motion were probably the main things. But yeah once the Grand Magic Games arc ended I've only had hazy recollections of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haru meets Plue, gets the magic sword, beats the fire guy who's one of the Elite Four of a guy whose name is literally King.
Haru meets up with a magical girl and an alchemist who uses metalcraft.
The other Elite Four are... a humanoid dragon riding a dragonoid dragon who uses tree powers, a chick who uses metal powers, and... I forget the third.
Haru fights against Siegfried of Ziegfried, a magician dude out to kill the magical girl. Haru convinces him not to by developing anti-magic powers on his sword.
Haru eventually meets his dad, and they defeat King. They also team up with half-humanoid half-dragonoid dragon, who's the coolest character in the series. He's the boyfriend of the dragonoid dragon that the Elite 4 guy is riding.
Haru's dad dies when he falls from King's castle or whatever. He died because he didn't want to step on the dragon pattern of the floor, since the half-dragon guy Let saved their lives. He dies shielding Haru from rubble or whatever.
Then it turns out King had a son who's even more dangerous.
King's son allies with 2 other bad guys, a merman who also has metal powers, and a vampire with the powers of pushing and pulling.
Merman dies to the other two metalcraft users.
Vampire has a tragic past, nearly kills Haru, but they beat him.
I sorta lose track afterwards but I know that eventually Haru and co. meet King's son. Also the fire Elite Four guy joins Haru's team, also he's sleeping with Haru's sister in the most epic of gently caress yous ever.
Haru eventually beats the poo poo out of King's son by activating his magic sword's evil sword powers.
King's son also has a magic sword with a similar power. His sword is powered by these really powerful gem weapon things. The two major bad guys had those gems, but I think Sieg has them for safekeeping now?
King's son makes alliances with actual devils.
Oh gently caress I remembered who the last Elite 4 was, a literally devil with Earth powers.
Oh and somewhere along the line Let beats the douche Elite Four and frees his girlfriend, a pro wrestling humanoid dragon who 's also really cool. He also becomes fully humanoid.
Haru has trouble fighting after using his evil sword, but eventually he meets up with this chick who heals him, but surprise, she's working for one of the bad guys.
Haru joins up with the resistance to fight against another major bad guy who also has one of the gems.
The bad guy is trying to destroy the dragon world or whatever? His power lets him regenerate his wounds.
Let and Julia get really cool battles. Let eventually loses but he dealt so much damage to the bad guy that he can't regen effectively anymore and Haru beats him.
King's son killsteals the fucker and steals his gem.
Also I just remembered it was the Elite 5, not the Elite 4, cause there was also a magician.
Siegheart defeats the magician, who was from the same village.
Haru finds out about the true history behind his sword and the magical girl by going to the past with magical girl and Sieg.
Sieg sacrifices himself to protect the place, staying behind. He's the skeleton the gang find when they first arrive at the place. He's a much cooler character than Jellal.
Oh poo poo and I just remembered that King also had an adopted son who controls water or something. Anyways fire Elite Five beats him, tells him that King loved him, blah blah blah.
Haru has a fight with the previous owner of the sword. It's very moving and manly. Demon Elite Five guy dies here.
Anyways final battle and King's son has demon kings working for him.
There's Ice Chick, Beast, Big Sword, and... and I'm pretty sure there was one more but I can't recall his gimmick anyways Haru beats him.
Ice Chick melts when Julia french kisses her.
Beast dies to fire Elite Five.
Big Sword is beaten by Let, who turns out to be the descendant of the Dragon Emperor or whatever.
I forgot how it ends. Haru vanishes for some reason, magical girl loses her memories.
Then he comes back????

I just typed all this out.
Why.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Basically my point is that I still remember so much of Rave despite not having read it in years, whereas I can't even remember the specifics of most of FT's past arcs.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rave Master is a far superior work to Fairy Tail.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rave Master had a cool sword. It also had Jellal the First.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sieg > Jellal

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay I just reread part of Rave for the first time in years and realized that they were the Elite Six, not Four or Five.

There was also Ice Guy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Still the best scene in Rave.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I just typed all this out.
Why.

I think that you have A Gift.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Even back then, Mashima made sure to keep the baps in frame.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rave Master also had way better villains than FT, too.

Doryu mainly comes to mind.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Julia is also way better than the female characters of Fairy Tail.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Still the best scene in Rave.

Well I will say this. Seig here actually died here so this meant more then any sacrifice in Fairy Tail.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Julia's fight with Acid Dude, Let's fight against Hader, and Haru's first fight against Lucia are all very memorable.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like goddamn.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Those panels are fantastic but what's the deal? I don't wanna read more mashie.

I can remember the plots of Bleach up to the fullbringer arc, but I can't recall most of Naruto and I bet I'd get OP out of order.

HxH I feel like I can't remember anything. It's not a great re-read at all, because once you get to the end again...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spiderdrake posted:

Those panels are fantastic but what's the deal? I don't wanna read more mashie.

I can remember the plots of Bleach up to the fullbringer arc, but I can't recall most of Naruto and I bet I'd get OP out of order.

HxH I feel like I can't remember anything. It's not a great re-read at all, because once you get to the end again...

I can't remember much of Naruto past the timeskip at all. The war is just a massive blur. So is the Pain arc. So is the Hidan and that other guy arc.

I can remember a lot of Bleach because arcs are so loving dragged out that very few things actually happened.

I can remember pretty much most of OP, cause it's hella memorable and because it was written by a competent author.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pictured, the dragon Julia killing a Demon King made of ice who can regenerate from any physical or magical damage by kissing her and breathing fire to destroy her from inside out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pictured, Julia pointing out to Let the harsh reality of life.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pictured, a guy who wields a sword that's taller than a goddamn building.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's also good at fisticuffs.

Durham
Sep 21, 2009
So what you're saying is that rave master is alright

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

WELCOME TO THE TALE OF A LAND CONQUERED BY EVIL
PEOPLE IN DESPAIR AND LIVING FRIGHTENED TO THEIR BONES

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Why is the land conquered by evil people in despair? :confused:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

three two one time for rave-o-lution

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
And a carrot nosed dog!

Haha I can't believe they got Reel Big Fish to do that.

You guys are making me want to read Rave Master. I've only seen a few episodes. Is it worth it?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's maximum Maeshima, so if you like that then go for it.

That said, reading is a bit better than watching IIRC.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The manga goes further than the anime.

Haven't seen the anime but I believe the manga is better.

Scans are poo poo though, there's a reason why most of what I've posted is from the later half of the series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Rave is one of the few manga I'd buy all off of comixology in an instant but can't due to internal bollocks at Kodansha.

I mean it's not as egregious as Food Wars or Seraph of the end from Viz (both region locked in the UK because Viz are awful at licence management) but it's still a pisser.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Durham posted:

So what you're saying is that rave master is alright

Rave is the superior Mashima work. Comparing the two, I'd describe it as FT being "Rave, with all the flaws turned up".

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only thing that Rave is worse at is the art (since it came first.)

That's not to say it's bad art but it's noticeably rougher.

bondster
May 6, 2007

http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/475/3269/1

This may be a bold claim, but I think this is the most bullshit chapter in all of Fairy Tail so far.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Honestly I'm just glad characters not named Erza, Natsu or Laxus are getting to do something useful. I could do without the panty-shots, but it's Mashima, and he's trying his best here

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

bondster posted:

http://readms.com/r/fairy_tail/475/3269/1

This may be a bold claim, but I think this is the most bullshit chapter in all of Fairy Tail so far.

Yeah, no poo poo. Between "I am a resident in the valley of time" and "If you use this secret art you will never be able to use magic." this chapter is pretty much like a bad Naruto chapter in terms of quality.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Hahaha holy poo poo Wendy's face in that last panel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I Love Annie May posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. Between "I am a resident in the valley of time" and "If you use this secret art you will never be able to use magic." this chapter is pretty much like a bad Naruto chapter in terms of quality.

That would all be tolerable, except by saying the only way to save cat-girl is to use magic we already know they still get to use magic later. Aside from the obvious Fairy Tail doesn't allow those type of consequences.

It is somewhat admirable the way every problem is only allowed 5 minutes maximum to breath before the solution crashes on through like a freight train.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I want Ur to somehow come back with her cool ice arm and ice leg. Then Juvia can ask for her permission to marry Gray because he can't argue against Ur.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

so who the hell is ultear again

was she the chick who supposedly became a bad guy with that demon guild

honestly these characters just all blend together if i haven't seen them in 10+ chapters

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

so who the hell is ultear again

was she the chick who supposedly became a bad guy with that demon guild

honestly these characters just all blend together if i haven't seen them in 10+ chapters

She's Gray's teacher's daughter

She did time magic and I thought became a super old lady like 150 chapters ago and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Garbage chapter, also: Ultear is doing that thing in Star Trek Generations. She's "in the nexus" Guinan or w/e her name was.

And now she's breaking apart like the zombies in Naruto too. Bad Mashie.

• Locked thread