Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Boz0r posted:

Are there any kickstarter board games that you guys find interesting right now?

Council of Blackthorn, In The Name of Odin, Vinhos Deluxe. I'm not pledging to any of them, mainly due to shipping, but I'll probably pick up all three subject to reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

504 seems like a brilliant piece of game design, but a pretty mediocre game playing experience.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Boz0r posted:

Gloomhaven which was kickstarted but you can still preorder:

quote:

Gloomhaven is a game of Euro-inspired tactical combat in a persistent world of shifting motives. Players will take on the role of a wandering adventurer with their own special set of skills and their own reasons for travelling to this dark corner of the world. Players must work together out of necessity to clear out menacing dungeons and forgotten ruins. In the process they will enhance their abilities with experience and loot, discover new locations to explore and plunder, and expand an ever-branching story fueled by the decisions they make.

This is a legacy game with a persistent and changing world that is ideally played over many game sessions. After a scenario, players will make decisions on what to do, which will determine how the story continues, kind of like a “Choose Your Own Adventure” book. Playing through a scenario is a cooperative affair where players will fight against automated monsters using an innovative card system to determine the order of play and what a player does on their turn.

Essentially, every turn a player will play two cards out of their hand. Each card has a number at the top, and the number on the first card played will determine their initiative order. Each card also has a top and bottom power, and when it is a player’s turn in the initiative order, they determine whether to use the top power of one card and the bottom power of the other, or vice-versa. Players must be careful, though, because over time they will permanently lose cards from their hands. If they take too long to clear a dungeon, they may end up exhausted and be forced to retreat.

It also has a 13 pound box: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1350948450/gloomhaven/posts/1490547

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Foehammer posted:

504 seems like a brilliant piece of game design, but a pretty mediocre game playing experience.

It would be a brilliant piece of design if the games were mostly good or better, or if each game was radically different.

As-is it's an overpriced boring novelty.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

The Grey posted:

I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but...

Complete gaming novice here. My wife and I are going on vacation in a couple weeks and will have some significant free time at airports and hotels. Can anyone recommend a good travel game for two people? Maybe a card game? I'm thinking something that is compact, fairly easy to learn, and won't take hours to finish.

My suggestion is Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. You don't need a table at all and can just pass the book and player aids back and forth. It's also a good game if you can only play for 15 minutes at a time, you can spend the rest of the time discussing the case or thinking about the clues.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
So i managed to pick up the Pathfinder Adventure card game and all of its expansions for a fraction of the price. Played 2 games of it and I've come to realize it is the "Destiny" of boardgames.

Light mechanics, Random flashy cards to encounter that don't have a lot of strategy. The main point of the game is to keep playing to watch your character level up.

Would recommend for $30 (Thats the game + all of its expansions)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Exmond posted:

So i managed to pick up the Pathfinder Adventure card game and all of its expansions for a fraction of the price. Played 2 games of it and I've come to realize it is the "Destiny" of boardgames.

Light mechanics, Random flashy cards to encounter that don't have a lot of strategy. The main point of the game is to keep playing to watch your character level up.

That sounds a lot like Talisman...

Good news is, there's a Pathfinder app coming out (or maybe it's out?) so you can try before you buy.
edit-- whoops it's March 29th

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 29, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Boz0r posted:

I'm still looking forward to Scythe. The theme is unique and interesting, the component quality looks top notch, and I really enjoy one of their previous games, Viticulture. Some people in this thread have started doomsaying about the game, but that seems based on pure speculation rather than any evidence.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Exmond posted:

Yeah, I bought it hoping it would scratch my "GM-less dungeon crawler" type experience. It failed, because there just isn't anything going on there. I'm a bit baffled it was successful enough for a sequel, and a Shadowrun-themed spin off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Look what you made me do!

I kill you, you bastard suckers of poo poo! I kill you! But first I gently caress your nostril, and use hedgehog as condom! :argh:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

foxxtrot posted:

Yeah, I bought it hoping it would scratch my "GM-less dungeon crawler" type experience. It failed, because there just isn't anything going on there. I'm a bit baffled it was successful enough for a sequel, and a Shadowrun-themed spin off.

Hold on, whats the shadowrun themed spin off? Is that the Shadowrun Crossfire? Crossfire is TERRIBLE compared to Pathfiner!

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Exmond posted:

Hold on, whats the shadowrun themed spin off? Is that the Shadowrun Crossfire? Crossfire is TERRIBLE compared to Pathfiner!

What makes it so much worse? I wrote it off without looking very closely because it looked like the same game with a different theme.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Boz0r posted:

Recent projects I've backed include Scythe (as mentioned above, there's been some naysaying about this game, and if it actually has more than nice art/theme, but I'm still looking forward to it), Islebound (Ryan Laukat's designs are generally pretty tight, if not particularly new or mind blowing; I loved Above & Below though, and enjoy everything else he's done to some degree), and Tiny Epic Western (Galaxies was a solid game for the size, and Western seems like it may be better still). All of those are complete though and not sure if any of them are offering any post-KS pre-orders or whatever.

Currently I'm backing the newest Evolution expansion (Climate), since the base game and Flight expansions were both really solid.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Boz0r posted:

Probably going to back Evolution: Climate, since I really like Evolution, though I don't play it as much as I would like.

I actually played Star Traders at Gen Con last year. It was fun, and the dice mechanic generally forces you to change direction rather than locking you out. When we played, I did end up with a run-away lead that even the three other players actively working to thwart me couldn't stop. It's basically a simple pick-up-and-deliver game, where smart play requires you to place stations to allow greater freedom of movement through the map, particularly around high cost links. It's fairly light, though not in a bad way. But, I didn't like it enough to back it for $50 though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Boz0r posted:

Villages of Valeria, I just backed it. Rahdo raved about it and I'm looking for a 5 player tableau builder that doesn't ask for $80 for shipping :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

Look what you made me do!

I kill you, you bastard suckers of poo poo! I kill you! But first I gently caress your nostril, and use hedgehog as condom! :argh:

That Roads & Boats logo is even uglier than the FCM map tiles :psyduck:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bottom Liner posted:

That Roads & Boats logo is even uglier than the FCM map tiles :psyduck:
Excuse me the name is RBO&ADTS

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So we cycled out Trains for the base Dominions over the weekend. It was my second time playing. Somebody had played three times, and the other two never played it. I gave sufficient warning about playing Village Idiot, set up an hourglass and we went for it.

I hope with 4 players that you set out all of the provinces, since that's what we did. The scores came out 36, 33, 27, and ...3. One of the newcomers went Village Idiot despite the growing, hilarious commentary about it, and he never bought any property. I wound up winning with a fairly even basket of markets, villages (only two of them!), and smithies. The other new player went Big Money and actually played admirably well with that in his first game. However, him and another one got a few militias and slowed the game down. That was great for me because then I didn't have to buy them. I am pretty sure I would have lost if the game was not slowed with militia.

It's pretty clear we have a crew that like to drop out a gajillion cards in one turn that spit out confetti and prizes, so I am thinking we should get Prosperity to boost this up. Or we should just play Deus or something to scratch that itch.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Okay, FCM question:

The rules say that any demand tokens created remain on the houses indefinitely. Does that mean that theoretically you could have a house that demands like 15 burgers and if no restaurant can fulfill that amount, it could just keep getting bigger and bigger, especially if you have an eternal marketer set up next door? Or have I screwed up something somewhere?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

foxxtrot posted:

What makes it so much worse? I wrote it off without looking very closely because it looked like the same game with a different theme.

There isn't any way to control difficulty. You place random obstacles into the deck so you can be facing an easy obstacle, or a super hard one! Unlike pathfinder you are "stuck" dealing with an obstacle, it stays until it is defeated. The Pathfinder hitpoint things is missing from the game so there's no cool deck mechanics. Character progression isn't interesting, nor do you "gain" cards when you gain a level. The Drafting game is okay in shadowrun, but is offset by its brutal difficulty.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

FulsomFrank posted:

Okay, FCM question:

The rules say that any demand tokens created remain on the houses indefinitely. Does that mean that theoretically you could have a house that demands like 15 burgers and if no restaurant can fulfill that amount, it could just keep getting bigger and bigger, especially if you have an eternal marketer set up next door? Or have I screwed up something somewhere?

Per the rulebook, Phase 6: Marketing Campaigns:

quote:

Note that each house can have at most 3 demand tokens in total, or 5
if the house has a garden. If a campaign reaches a house that is already
filled with demand tokens, it has no effect on that house. This may lead
to some campaigns being utterly useless, as is the nature of marketing
campaigns.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"This may lead
campaigns."

Harsh but true.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Boz0r posted:

Codex, but I've finally decided that I won't be buying it, simply because I'll likely be moving soon and I can't count on people in a place I've never been to want to play a non-M:tG card game. Hopefully the online version isn't too far away.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

silvergoose posted:

"This may lead
campaigns."

Harsh but true.

I like how when you first play FCM people are like "this is nothing like real fast food!" until you point out this to them and how you can play a game where you are a slave master screwing people out of wages.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So we cycled out Trains for the base Dominions over the weekend.

I am still newish to Dominion, and I liked the strategy article for dummies that said "the object of the game is to get 8 coins in your hand every turn, and to do that more often than your opponent".
Of course there are exceptions and different ways to accomplish that through creative interactions, but a good principle.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It's pretty clear we have a crew that like to drop out a gajillion cards in one turn that spit out confetti and prizes, so I am thinking we should get Prosperity to boost this up. Or we should just play Deus or something to scratch that itch.

Haven't played Deus so I can't comment on that (but would love to hear more about it, if anyone has experience).

Prosperity or Seaside are both good first expansions that also have chainable cards with huge payouts. Prosperity's theme is big money so it has a bunch of treasure cards with effects (like you play a silver but it does something cool like put a buy on top of your deck so you immediately draw it) and action cards that cost 7 and have really big effects (so perfect for playing at the end of an action chain). Hell, King's Court by itself is probably worth the price of admission. Seaside has cards that stay into play until next turn so you might not be playing all those cards in one turn but you will have a bunch of cards out from your previous turn doing stuff for you right from the start. In general the expansions have flashier action cards but they don't invalidate the staples that are in the first set.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Does anyone have a recommendation for a medium length (~2 hours) civ builder? I'm tempted to just go for the new TtA but I'm not sure I can get it to the table with the amount of time it demands. I have Nations, but that's also really long in addition to its own problems, such as the really dumb death spiral effects. Some people are understandably wary of catch-up mechanisms, but a mechanism that just shoves the last-place player back further just seems malicious.

I'm reading a lot of good buzz about The Golden Ages, but the lack of goon discussion makes me afraid that something gamebreaking is lurking just out of view.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 29, 2016

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Azran posted:

Villages of Valeria, I just backed it. Rahdo raved about it and I'm looking for a 5 player tableau builder that doesn't ask for $80 for shipping :v:

I've got this one backed too, looks like it'll be a good slot in with my normal group which likes light-medium weight games and is usually five people too. Considering adding on Valeria: Card Kingdoms at the end of the pledge period too because it seems like that'd work for my group too.

Aside from that, I played my first two games of Roll for the Galaxy Ambition last night with my roommate and we tied each match, coming down to the dice in cup tiebreaker. So I guess that means that produce/ship strategies are a bit better now!

deadwing fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 29, 2016

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gimnbo posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a medium length (~2 hours) civ builder? I'm tempted to just go for the new TtA but I'm not sure I can get it to the table with the amount of time it demands. I have Nations, but that's also really long in addition to its own problems, such as the really dumb death spiral effects. Some people are understandably wary of catch-up mechanisms, but a mechanism that just shoves the last-place player back further just seems malicious.

I'm reading a lot of good buzz about The Golden Ages, but the lack of goon discussion makes me afraid that something gamebreaking is lurking just out of view.

TTA can work if you plan on only playing 2p. I played an irl game in like 2.5 hours with a friend last night that definitely could have been even shorter. I feel like you can't really make a 4x shorter than 2 hours without losing a certain something though.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Gimnbo posted:

My first 3p game of nTTA took 7(!!) hours. Granted, one of the guys playing literally drank a 12 pack during the game, so his Age 2.5/Age 3 turns started takes ages (lol) but wow. It's a testament to the game that I didn't even really notice the length.

e: Paging TASTY LEMONS to the nTTA game up on boardgaming-online. Please, for the love of god, choose your first card.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Countblanc posted:

Codex, but I've finally decided that I won't be buying it, simply because I'll likely be moving soon and I can't count on people in a place I've never been to want to play a non-M:tG card game. Hopefully the online version isn't too far away.

Seconding Codex, but mostly because I've already sunk in for the Deluxe edition like a complete stooge. Thankfully, I was able to convince my FLGS to order it for me in exchange for the $300 in store credit I'd built up from offloading old Magic cards.

Still, I only bought in because I'm a complete loving goober about single-box storage, and Deluxe comes with a huge box and custom binders. If you don't care about that sort of poo poo, then I absolutely recommend waiting until retail.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Gutter Owl posted:

Seconding Codex, but mostly because I've already sunk in for the Deluxe edition like a complete stooge. Thankfully, I was able to convince my FLGS to order it for me in exchange for the $300 in store credit I'd built up from offloading old Magic cards.

Still, I only bought in because I'm a complete loving goober about single-box storage, and Deluxe comes with a huge box and custom binders. If you don't care about that sort of poo poo, then I absolutely recommend waiting until retail.

Also, like most of Sirlin's games, even though it says that the Deluxe edition won't be "available for retail," he's confirmed that the surplus copies of the Deluxe edition will show up on his webstore, so it's not like you'll have no chance to grab it if you really want to get it.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 29, 2016

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I bought Tobago the other day, and my girlfriend really enjoys that. So that's cool.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Boz0r posted:

I bought Tobago the other day, and my girlfriend really enjoys that. So that's cool.

Tobago's a good light game, especially if you get the Zoch Verlag first edition with the really nice components.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My copy of TTA arrived today, and somehow I spent more time trying to get the stickers on the tokens correctly than it took for me to get all those decks in spyfall in separate baggies.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

If you like Dominion and want to learn more, I found the article The Five Fundamental Deck Types very helpful in starting out.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My wife and I have been playing the free print and play version of Codex, and it's really fun. Can't wait for the remaining 18 decks.

Last 2 days on kickstarter, all original stretch goals met. In for a deluxe, might get a core set for the neighbours.

It's also worth noting that you can get the print and play set of all the cards through his patreon if that's your bag.

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

sliderule posted:

My wife and I have been playing the free print and play version of Codex, and it's really fun. Can't wait for the remaining 18 decks.

Last 2 days on kickstarter, all original stretch goals met. In for a deluxe, might get a core set for the neighbours.

It's also worth noting that you can get the print and play set of all the cards through his patreon if that's your bag.

No need to do anything through patreon, print and play versions of every faction can be purchased here now:
http://www.sirlingames.com/collections/codex

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was checking the factions and some stuff is so on the nose, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The starter set is pretty good for players of two skill levels. The Bashing spec summons big creatures pretty easily and is a straightforward play. The Finesse spec is all combos, requiring a bit more skill and luck to pull off.

A top level hero can cast ultimate spells, and you could summon and level up the Finesse hero to max with only 6 gold. You could be playing this on turn 3 if things go your way:

The best part about that card is you can draw two of them, and sideline X patrollers for X gold.

I hope the game's meta turns out balanced. David Sirlin JUST introduces a rules nerf yesterday, and it makes it seem like despite being in development for 10 years, it might have balance issues.

(The nerf was with Heroes. Before, if you killed an opponent's hero on your turn, your hero would level up twice, but if your hero died on your turn, nothing levelled. Now, if your hero dies on your turn, the opponent's hero levels twice. The problem with this is that the game is asynchronous, which means that the suiciding player gets to choose which hero gets the levels. Some heroes have abilities that proc at different level bands, so the deciding player gets to fizzle those abilities. The nerf eliminated using heroes as pawns, but created a situational counter to some powerful heroes.)

Anyhow, I don't anticipate my group of friends playing at a high enough level to tear open a seam, so I'm happy to finally buy in to a (non-collectable) CCG where I don't face the dual spectres of deckbuilding (hard to get my wife to do this, so I end up building two decks) and expansion content. We ran Netrunner dry in about 6 months. I started looking at the expansion packs and saw some great possibilities, but ultimately they felt like a band-aid.

Hopefully Codex has some life in it. Because you can essentially draft cards from 3 decks, you'll always have different options for responding, although the drafting mechanic puts your responses 1-3 turns out, depending. So there's some skill level in watching what your opponent is setting up and trying to anticipate where he's going.

Here's Black vs. Blue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lytm3I_TxU