Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah. So my granddad (80 yo or something?) was suffering from Alzheimer's (which is a horrible disease) and still living in his old house. One morning they found him on the cold kitchen floor where he had apparently been all night after he fell and had gotten confused. He had slight hypothermia so they called an ambulance.

Ambulance came to pick him up and bring him to the hospital, but for some reason he believed he was being kidnapped. So he started screaming for help and then knocked one of the nurses out by punching them in the face.

After being released from the hospital he moved straight into a care home.

Sorry about your granddad. One of mine had Alzheimer's too. Coincidentally, the reason I know old guys can kick rear end is because when I worked as a psych tech at a hospital, we all had to do rotations in the child and senior psych wards and I saw a tech get knocked out cold by an ~80 year old man who had Alzheimer's. Also had to help restrain violent seniors a couple times and it took all of us to do it and several of us had some nice bruises to show for it.

Content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KW3ZkLtuo

I will never get tired of seeing cats gently caress people up. :allears: "I'm serious. His teeth are in my skull."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

A shame that the reporter says there are plans to lower the road under the bridge. Nothing reminds truck drivers that they aren't above posted traffic signage quite like having the top of their box truck sheered off.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

Can blind people attack on sight?

I think if they're blind, they've loving murdered sight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Murphy Brownback posted:

She's a little over-emotional obviously but I felt more on her side than the bike guy+cop. The cop acknowledged what bike guy was doing wasn't a serious violation of the law, but throwing water on someone is also not a serious violation of the law, yet he's acting like it is. I hate bicyclists who think they are above the law and treat the sidewalk like a road and ignore traffic signals.

The cop's probably more concerned with the water bit because he actually saw that happen and she was freaking the gently caress out at a guy, which he also saw happen.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Good piece of advice. Don't pick fights with guys named "Champ".

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Testekill posted:

Australia is introducing a bunch of cyclist laws which will require ones who ride on the roads regularily to get registered. As you would expect, there has been a ton of bitching and complaining from cyclists because "we're doing our bit to help the planet why are we being punished" when they break the law all the time in Melbourne by doing poo poo like cutting between cars and refusing to ride in bike lanes.

Is this "I'm saving the environment!" stance really so widespread (seems obnoxious as gently caress)?

I live in a country with a poo poo ton of bikes (Denmark) and the main reasons why people bike around would probably be:
- Cheaper than a car (we have loving expensive registration fees)
- More convenient around town
- Exercise

I don't think I've ever met a person who bikes solely because "It saves the planet!", that's just an added bonus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron von Eevl posted:

The cop's probably more concerned with the water bit because he actually saw that happen and she was freaking the gently caress out at a guy, which he also saw happen.

Plus riding your bike on the footpath is a misdemeanor but throwing water on someone is technically assault. Pretty much any unwanted physical interaction counts as assault if someone gets pissy and calls in the cops.

People get charged for assault for tapping someone on the shoulder in a cinema asking them to keep the noise down
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/rough-call-at-the-movies/2006/02/16/1140037819272.html
http://www.fwweekly.com/2011/08/01/dale-fout-movie-texting-a-pain-in-neck/?option=com_wordpress&Itemid=12

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Is this "I'm saving the environment!" stance really so widespread (seems obnoxious as gently caress)?

There's a LOT of bad blood between cyclists and drivers in Australia, with a bunch of examples of abuse and assault from both sides. As in any protracted argument both sides have rationalised their stances to ridiculous degrees.
I know some drivers who loving hate cyclists and are really angry that they have to share the road with them.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Feb 29, 2016

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I don't mind the 30 year olds wearing their fancy biking costumes and helmets, it's the other 30 year olds wearing their 1890s miner costumes that bother me. They can never be bothered to stop or ride where they're supposed to and they're the ones who start swinging the bike locks around when they forget that people will open their car doors sometimes.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Birb Katter posted:

That woman is not a Nazi, she's a bird called Eric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRRIjOkzHPM

This bogan cockatoo is my new favourite thing ever :australia: :boonie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dCzjyypmXg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7r5DjPcvFQ

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Centripetal Horse posted:

Sorry about the lovely watermark. Go watch the video. The way the old man slips the kid's punch while he's got the kid backed into the corner is pretty phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkenYHDfpOc

Correction - the best part of that video is the old man's sweatter.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I'm not sure if the bird sounds like the woman, or the woman sounds like the bird.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUB45T50T4

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Nuebot posted:

What's it like being a dog irl?

Really irritating. I have to ask my wife what color my shirt is and I dress my kids like clowns. I bought a pink shirt once that I swear was white. I have to ask my co-workers what color a thing is and have a huge amount of trouble mixing colors of paint. I have to do it by the numbers and labels. It's not that I see black and white. I'm excellent at yellow, but orange starts getting inconsistent and and red and green look almost the same. In my mind there is a single color called Blue-Purple and I don't differentiate.

The messed up thing is that I have a 4 year degree in graphic design and illustration. I spent the whole time saying "what color is this".

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Synopsis for anyone interested: Dude attacks his mom's killer in courtroom, while the suspect is surrounded by 3 guards.

I was expecting him to get in like one or two punches, but jesus those guards are either inept or they didn't give a poo poo. He even connected with a loving chair.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
This might be cheating, but this John Oliver takedown of Trump is just loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Scarf posted:

Synopsis for anyone interested: Dude attacks his mom's killer in courtroom, while the suspect is surrounded by 3 guards.

I was expecting him to get in like one or two punches, but jesus those guards are either inept or they didn't give a poo poo. He even connected with a loving chair.

Are the defendant's shoelaces tied together? Is that the new ankle shackles?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Weatherman posted:

vvvvvv it's better than seeing farouk's posts everywhere when people take the bait and respond. Use your ignore lists, people

If the ignore list would also block derails caused by the person you're blocking, I'd actually use it once in a while.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you're gonna taunt a whole bunch of cops/state troopers you better keep an eye on your 6

http://imgur.com/gallery/8d5nRBo

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

the serial killer saw the attack coming before his "guards" did.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mostlygray posted:

Really irritating. I have to ask my wife what color my shirt is and I dress my kids like clowns. I bought a pink shirt once that I swear was white. I have to ask my co-workers what color a thing is and have a huge amount of trouble mixing colors of paint. I have to do it by the numbers and labels. It's not that I see black and white. I'm excellent at yellow, but orange starts getting inconsistent and and red and green look almost the same. In my mind there is a single color called Blue-Purple and I don't differentiate.

The messed up thing is that I have a 4 year degree in graphic design and illustration. I spent the whole time saying "what color is this".

Serious question -- it's 2016, aren't there any smartphone apps that do this? Point your phone's camera at a shirt or a swatch of paint and it'll tell you if it's "hot pink" or "mint green" or whatever.

If there aren't any apps for this, then hey you, the aspiring app developer reading this thread! There's a world of color blind people out there that would probably pay a few bucks for that.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

mostlygray posted:

You've probably already heard of them but just in case you haven't the reviews are generally pretty good?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

I live in a country with a poo poo ton of bikes (Denmark) and the main reasons why people bike around would probably be:
- Cheaper than a car (we have loving expensive registration fees)
- More convenient around town
- Exercise

I don't think I've ever met a person who bikes solely because "It saves the planet!", that's just an added bonus.

In the US you'll see both cyclists and people driving hybrid cars acting like this - not always, but enough that it gets loving grating. Great, you're driving a car that gets better gas mileage, now try doing the loving speed limit instead of puttering around everywhere doing 10 or 15 under you goddamn assclown. Awesome, you ride a bike and saved money while getting fresh air/exercise - now obey the traffic laws like everyone else and quit being a dangerous, reckless fuckstain or expecting people to give a poo poo when you don't use bike lanes or ride on the sidewalk (here it's legal to bike on sidewalks and actually preferred when no bike lane exists). Ignorance is no excuse and if someone gets plastered by a car because they ran a stop sign or is so timid and nervous behind their clown car wheel that they can't do the speed limit, then gently caress them, they deserve all the bad that comes their way.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

This might be cheating, but this John Oliver takedown of Trump is just loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

This made my day, thank you very much. Best John Oliver show to date

Edit: vidya gaeme scootyfrooty

If anyone follow DOTA, here is a fun one. For those unaware, DOTA is a team game. Instead of capitalizing on a lead, one player starts buying ridiculous poo poo just to troll the opponents. It doesn't go very well. And that hiccup gives the enemy team just enough time to recover and claw their way to victory. Oh, and this was an actual competition match. For money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVt3jhU0xD8

Nitrox has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Feb 29, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ariza posted:

I don't mind the 30 year olds wearing their fancy biking costumes and helmets, it's the other 30 year olds wearing their 1890s miner costumes that bother me. They can never be bothered to stop or ride where they're supposed to and they're the ones who start swinging the bike locks around when they forget that people will open their car doors sometimes.

Don't open your car door without looking it's against the law in a lot of places.

The "schadenfreude" is that traffic designers put bike lanes in the door zone of parked cars wooo

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My Bike Schadenfreude comes from everyone who lives in an area where you can't bike on the sidewalks. When you're living in the burbs, you have bike paths that are distinct from the roads, and where those don't exist, there's miles of empty sidewalk.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
How can I watch that john oliver vid in the UK?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Nitrox posted:

This made my day, thank you very much. Best John Oliver show to date

Edit: vidya gaeme scootyfrooty

If anyone follow DOTA, here is a fun one. For those unaware, DOTA is a team game. Instead of capitalizing on a lead, one player starts buying ridiculous poo poo just to troll the opponents. It doesn't go very well. And that hiccup gives the enemy team just enough time to recover and claw their way to victory. Oh, and this was an actual competition match. For money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVt3jhU0xD8

Not to mention the team that was behind had a very obvious strategy that would only get stronger the longer the game went on, so by not pressing the advantage and winning early they were drastically reducing their chances of victory with every minute.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Powered Descent posted:

Serious question -- it's 2016, aren't there any smartphone apps that do this? Point your phone's camera at a shirt or a swatch of paint and it'll tell you if it's "hot pink" or "mint green" or whatever.

If there aren't any apps for this, then hey you, the aspiring app developer reading this thread! There's a world of color blind people out there that would probably pay a few bucks for that.

Color ID Free is on both the Apple and Android stores. Reasonably good reviews for both.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Maleh-Vor posted:

Not to mention the team that was behind had a very obvious strategy that would only get stronger the longer the game went on, so by not pressing the advantage and winning early they were drastically reducing their chances of victory with every minute.
And by the way, this is how much money these teams earn in the top competitive gaming tournaments.

Dota 2
$56,669,019.03
1458 Players
568 Tournaments

League of Legends
$26,752,796.26
3860 Players
1664 Tournaments

StarCraft II
$18,344,015.70
1515 Players
3445 Tournaments

Counter-Strike
$10,764,492.98
2582 Players
571 Tournaments

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
$10,758,920.57
4116 Players
1339 Tournaments

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mostlygray posted:

Computer monitors use purple (as in blue + red) to simulate violet because they can't emit actual violet, and because purple looks a lot like violet to us normies.

Apparently purple and violet are completely different colours to colourblinds? That's really strange to me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nitrox posted:

And by the way, this is how much money these teams earn in the top competitive gaming tournaments.

Dota 2
$56,669,019.03
1458 Players
568 Tournaments

League of Legends
$26,752,796.26
3860 Players
1664 Tournaments

StarCraft II
$18,344,015.70
1515 Players
3445 Tournaments

Counter-Strike
$10,764,492.98
2582 Players
571 Tournaments

$10,758,920.57
4116 Players
1339 Tournaments

How much do the individual teams earn?

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

Looks like the money has trickled down pretty far into the dota 'competitive' scene :wow: I remember when your clan's team being ranked 100th meant the members had just started playing and only knew centaur/cm and a few others.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Carbon dioxide posted:

Computer monitors use purple (as in blue + red) to simulate violet because they can't emit actual violet, and because purple looks a lot like violet to us normies.

Apparently purple and violet are completely different colours to colourblinds? That's really strange to me.

Purple is literally blue + red. It does not exist on the spectrum of visible light, and violet is very much not purple. Neither is indigo. Any impressions otherwise are entirely artificial.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How much do the individual teams earn?

Here's the breakdown of the winnings from last year's International which is the big Valve-sponsored Dota tournament. Individual teams can earn quite a bit, if they are literally the best in the world.

1st Place
$6,634,661

2nd
$2,856,590

3rd
$2,211,554

4th
$1,566,517

5th-6th
$1,197,925

7th-8th
$829,333

9th-12th
$221,155

13th-16th
$55,289

The team that took first says they took $8,650,381.68 in 2015 in total so the International was obviously a large chunk.

Saint Freak has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Feb 29, 2016

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Nitrox posted:

Dota 2
$56,669,019.03
1458 Players
568 Tournaments

League of Legends
$26,752,796.26
3860 Players
1664 Tournaments

StarCraft II
$18,344,015.70
1515 Players
3445 Tournaments

Counter-Strike
$10,764,492.98
2582 Players
571 Tournaments

$10,758,920.57
4116 Players
1339 Tournaments

The schadenfreude was going to be on the people who still play 1.6, but somehow they have bigger prize pools than GO with almost half the teams.

Time to get good at 1.6 I guess.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Saint Freak posted:

Here's the breakdown of the winnings from last year's International which is the big Valve-sponsored Dota tournament. Individual teams can earn quite a bit, if they are literally the best in the world.

1st Place
$6,634,661

2nd
$2,856,590

3rd
$2,211,554

4th
$1,566,517

5th-6th
$1,197,925

7th-8th
$829,333

9th-12th
$221,155

13th-16th
$55,289

How many are on each team? 5 players, 2 backups, coach / manager, so I'm guessing 8?

1st place - huge amount of money
7th place - great livable wage
9th place - poverty wage
13th place - hobby income

So all of 64 some-odd people can do this for a living.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How many are on each team? 5 players, 2 backups, coach / manager, so I'm guessing 8?

9th place - poverty wage

That's for a week's "work".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Saint Freak posted:

That's for a week's "work".

I'm going to guess that it takes a lot of time besides the week in tournaments to be the kind of player that can actually win those tournaments

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

9th place - poverty wage

It's different for different video games. Like, for league of legends teams actually get paid a living wage (and upwards of 6 figures for some people) to play, then you stack prize money and streaming money on top of that. I don't follow DOTA so I can't say if those people make stuff other than prize money tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

9th place - poverty wage

There's plenty of other tournaments, even some where some of the real top teams don't put that much effort into or don't show due to lower prize pools or scheduling conflicts. There's also sponsorship, endorsements, and salaries to take into account. It's a lot more than 64 people is all I'm saying, and it's not like this tournament pool is the only money they can make in a year. The most popular Peruvian player, which I believe was in the linked clip, is in commercials in Peru for the most popular national fast food chain. Everyone is covered in about as many logos as a NASCAR driver during tournaments too.