Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

ranbo das posted:

It's different for different video games. Like, for league of legends teams actually get paid a living wage (and upwards of 6 figures for some people) to play, then you stack prize money and streaming money on top of that. I don't follow DOTA so I can't say if those people make stuff other than prize money tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR7CU3CJ7iU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nitrox posted:

This made my day, thank you very much. Best John Oliver show to date

Edit: vidya gaeme scootyfrooty

If anyone follow DOTA, here is a fun one. For those unaware, DOTA is a team game. Instead of capitalizing on a lead, one player starts buying ridiculous poo poo just to troll the opponents. It doesn't go very well. And that hiccup gives the enemy team just enough time to recover and claw their way to victory. Oh, and this was an actual competition match. For money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVt3jhU0xD8

Oh I get it. This is one of those cringe videos where you see how much you can watch before you are forced to turn it off.

20 seconds for me.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

canyoneer posted:

I'm going to guess that it takes a lot of time besides the week in tournaments to be the kind of player that can actually win those tournaments

What I"m saying is that 55k in a week isn't poverty wage, the person I quoted was acting like that was their yearly income or something.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

kazil posted:

Oh I get it. This is one of those cringe videos where you see how much you can watch before you are forced to turn it off.

20 seconds for me.
So edgy, I almost cut myself while quoting you. How many televisions do you currently not own?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I used to be annoyed that footballers in the UK got ridiculously high wages for playing their sport, but I'd rather they got six figure pay checks than assholes playing loving video games.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
People getting butthurt about esports is one of my fav sources of schadenfreude, especially when those people somehow think that grown men playing childrens games is somehow more acceptable than teenagers playing childrens games.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Nitrox posted:

So edgy, I almost cut myself while quoting you. How many televisions do you currently not own?

Seriously, though, think how that video looks to someone not neck deep in DOTA. It's a man saying gibberish while the screen jumps around at a mile a second.

At least post a timestamp of when it gets at all interesting.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

kazil posted:

Seriously, though, think how that video looks to someone not neck deep in DOTA. It's a man saying gibberish while the screen jumps around at a mile a second.

I know nothing about DOTA and he may as well have been speaking Russian. I still got the gist of which team was winning, but missed every bit of the "this guy overspent their money to troll the other team." Without that context I wouldn't have the slightest idea something out of the ordinary was happening.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

People getting butthurt about esports is one of my fav sources of schadenfreude, especially when those people somehow think that grown men playing childrens games is somehow more acceptable than teenagers playing childrens games.

I think e-sports is good and fine, but what confuses me is where the hell is all of this money coming from to support these events? With the popular sports I can understand because of how massive they are and how much merchandise is sold, but with e-sports, I know only a couple people who care even a tiny bit, and even they aren't spending money on it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think like all sports/events that make money it's mostly through advertising, sponsorship, that sort of thing.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Master Twig posted:

I think e-sports is good and fine, but what confuses me is where the hell is all of this money coming from to support these events? With the popular sports I can understand because of how massive they are and how much merchandise is sold, but with e-sports, I know only a couple people who care even a tiny bit, and even they aren't spending money on it.

Well also don't forget that you have to buy computer games, while you can play football with a whole bunch of people with just a ball.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Master Twig posted:

People pay to watch these games online inn real time. You buy tickets, passes and everything. Also, merchandising, appearances, sponsorship etc. Counter Strike fans drink the same CocaCola as the soccer fans. It works the same way

ekuNNN posted:

Well also don't forget that you have to buy computer games, while you can play football with a whole bunch of people with just a ball.
At least you pay money for that football. All of those games are free to download and play

kazil posted:

You didn't even need to watch the video, I wrote a description of what the schadenfreude is. Visual reference sure does help, but if you don't know what to look for, it's better to just trust the description and move on. I personally wouldn't know what's going on on the screen if the game in question was League Of Legends, which is a shittier copy of DOTA, that I occasionally follow.

Nitrox has a new favorite as of 22:10 on Feb 29, 2016

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nitrox posted:

At least you pay money for that football. All of those games are free to download and play

Only Dota is free from that list of best paying games, right? or LoL too?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ekuNNN posted:

Only Dota is free from that list of best paying games, right? or LoL too?

Pay to play dressup.

People love dressup.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Look at how much money is involved with "guy with stupid accent/affected voice comments while playing video game". e-sports is just huge budget lets-plays dressed up as a major sporting event. The money is there, people like to watch all sorts of stupid poo poo and you can show them ads while they watch, or even get them to pay to watch.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Nitrox posted:

What costs more? A football or a computer? I forget.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

kazil posted:

What costs more? A football or a computer? I forget.
Let me remind you. A computer is part of an average 1st/2nd world household, just like a refrigerator or television is. A football is something you buy specifically to play with. And mobile devices are getting faster and better with every generation. A good number of computer games are now playable on an average phone.

Nitrox has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Feb 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Nitrox posted:

Let me remind you. A computer is part of an average 1st/2nd world household, just like a refrigerator or television is. A football is something you buy specifically to play with

The NVidia GE Force GTX 560, however, is not part of the average computer and costs roughly the same as a mid-line consumer laptop.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Drowning In Terror posted:

Looks like the money has trickled down pretty far into the dota 'competitive' scene :wow: I remember when your clan's team being ranked 100th meant the members had just started playing and only knew centaur/cm and a few others.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Let me remind you. A computer is part of an average 1st/2nd world household, just like a refrigerator or television is. A football is something you buy specifically to play with. And mobile devices are getting faster and better with every generation. A good number of computer games are now playable on an average phone.

You can like esports without these dumb mental gymnastics. It's ok, I promise.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

kazil posted:

You can like esports without these dumb mental gymnastics. It's ok, I promise.
Not sure where dumb mental gymnastics begin but you're the one being all smug about bringing up costs.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sports are for what I call "the common folk"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

esports have cost this thread dearly...

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

i'm sorry nobody understood your video but please stop

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It's okay to play video games, guy. Your daddy has a million other reasons not to love you.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Can we at least agree that NASCAR isn't a real sport?

I mean, their biggest strength is not getting hemorrhoids or pissing themselves. Not very exciting.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Sorry that I offended you I guess? :shrug:
I just think that grown men actually exercising in the name of entertainment is of more value than angry teenagers breaking poo poo and screaming slurs at each other.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's not a real sport unless there is at least a slight chance of someone dying because of it.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's not a real sport unless there is at least a slight chance of someone dying because of it.

well there's always the chance of a blood clot forming

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How many bitcoins can you win from the average esport?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Master Twig posted:

36 million people watched the LoL championship which is a lot of people imo.

Roro posted:

I just think that grown men actually exercising in the name of entertainment is of more value than angry teenagers breaking poo poo and screaming slurs at each other.

Tbh both groups break poo poo and scream slurs at each other and are of equal value to society imo.

At least no esports person has straight up murdered someone yet tho i guess so sportsball still has that going for them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's also not a real sport if riots are not at least semi-common.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Who do you think makes League of Legends?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Does whining on the internet count as a riot?

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

Takoluka posted:

Who do you think makes League of Legends?

:golfclap:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

14! http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Bitcoin_StarCraft_Challenge

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Holy balls post funny gifs and shut up about video games

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

zakharov posted:

Holy balls post funny gifs and shut up about video games

never

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G8oHukH_pE

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The NVidia GE Force GTX 560, however, is not part of the average computer and costs roughly the same as a mid-line consumer laptop.

Yeah, those $80 laptops are just falling from the sky, right? Gaming computers can be built pretty cheaply these days, especially if you're running something as simple as mobas. Hell, my lovely first computer that I had literally a decade ago that literally did not have a graphics card ran cs1.6 just fine, and as we've seen, there's still a pro scene for that. The only time computers are expensive is if you're some mondo retard who absolutely must crank up every single setting possible on every AAA game that gets released.

Roro posted:

I said I derived enjoyment from something, and then you apologized for offending me. What part of that made sense in your head lol. I also like the fact that in your world football fans (the ones who literally riot when their team wins OR loses) are the reasonable people:thumbsup:

Actual schadenfreude posting: HL3 still doesn't exist:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

if you are awarded bitcoins as the result of a contest, you've lost regardless of what the scoreboard says