Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Tigren posted:

Is there someone I can touch a 6P in store? I played with the S7 at Best Buy and it's real nice, but a Nexus phone is always more appealing to me. I'm just not sure I'm ready for such a gigantic phone.

You could always look up similar size phones on gsm and try and find something to compare it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

You could always look up similar size phones on gsm and try and find something to compare it to.

Yeah, if you can't find a display 6P just check out the iPhone 6+

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I hear you can make a cardboard cutout of a phone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

repiv posted:

Yeah, if you can't find a display 6P just check out the iPhone 6+

Here is the link to the size comparator.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Tigren posted:

Is there someone I can touch a 6P in store? I played with the S7 at Best Buy and it's real nice, but a Nexus phone is always more appealing to me. I'm just not sure I'm ready for such a gigantic phone.

It's basically identical in size to a 6+ or 6s+ and those would be easier to find.

E: new page

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
iPhone power/volume button (and headphone jack) placements still own.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

iajanus posted:

I honestly can't imagine anyone who's used an android phone that considers the iOS notification pane good in any way. It's terrible in every way. The control centre is better but is filled with useless things that clutter it up for no reason. Both are the worst parts of the OS, right next to the illogical and scattered approach it takes to settings.

This. I use a Moto X Style for personal stuff and an iPhone 6 for work and god is the latter annoying with the way it groups notifications (well it basically doesn't). Also it's good that the quick access panel is accessible separately from notifications but I still prefer having those in the upper panel, maybe i'm just used to it.

Keyser S0ze posted:

iPhone power/volume button (and headphone jack) placements still own.

I like the volume buttons on the right, but it's true that the headphone jack is better on top. Although it might seem like a personal preference, the jack from my Moto X started failing, probably from being constantly smashed against the bottom of my pocket with headphones on.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hear you can make a cardboard cutout of a phone.

And how am I supposed to toggle WiFi and bluetooth on my cardboard phone genius?!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Headphone jack on the bottom every time, then your phone is the right way up when you take it out your pocket

Sorry for having the wrong opinion

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Headphone jack on the bottom every time, then your phone is the right way up when you take it out your pocket

Sorry for having the wrong opinion

This is correct. Go ahead and frame this post so we can reference its beauty later.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah that's it, perfect for placing in your manpurse/ladypurse/jorts headfirst.

Volume/power buttons on the middle right suck for using car mounts as well. Upper left is perfect for thumb multi-action.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Keyser S0ze posted:

Volume/power buttons on the middle right suck for using car mounts as well. Upper left is perfect for thumb multi-action.

Wtf, no fanny pack or utilikilt snipe?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

This is correct. Go ahead and frame this post so we can reference its beauty later.
My brother disagrees with this and it turns out the reason is because he keeps his phone is his pocket the right way up. I'm pretty sure he is adopted.

I was in the middle of nowhere all weekend with no signal, 80 posts on the Android thread turned out to be about as thrilling a you'd expect if you've ever read the Android thread before.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013
I am a certified idiot and am considering an s6 edge plus over an s6 edge. Any recommendations for one side or the other. I really like the silver version of the edge plus, which I don't think is available for the normal edge, and I think this might be swaying me too much.

Also, is phablet size actually unmanageable or bad? Seems fine to me, but I've never had to deal with one for more than a minute or so.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Allen_Aldo posted:

I am a certified idiot and am considering an s6 edge plus over an s6 edge.

Get an S7?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Been looking at S7 accessories here but it doesn't allow you to buy any of them yet and I don't seem them available elsewhere.

When the handset is released, I take it they'll go on sale then, either direct from Samsung or with another retailer?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Been looking at S7 accessories here but it doesn't allow you to buy any of them yet and I don't seem them available elsewhere.

When the handset is released, I take it they'll go on sale then, either direct from Samsung or with another retailer?
Presumably. There are listings at mobilefun.com and handtec.co.uk but I can't vouch for either vendor.

For those with an Amazon Prime membership, here are coupon codes for Spigen cases.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Tigren posted:

My Best Buy had both the 5X and 6P on display. They probably had about 8 phones in the "unlocked" section. Also present were the Moto G and Moto X and a couple random Blu handsets.

Speaking of the Moto G, Motorola's official webstore is selling the 2GB/16GB version for $200 ($20 off) right now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rastor posted:

Presumably. There are listings at mobilefun.com and handtec.co.uk but I can't vouch for either vendor.

Thanks very much.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks very much.
More "Evidence" that Google will remove the app drawer in Android N.
https://twitter.com/googlemaps/status/703235681976332288?s=09

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Keyser S0ze posted:

But I like being able to click the volume buttons by feel while driving and its in my pocket. :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Merkinman posted:

Tbh, it's probably the right move for the average person because hiding apps under a layer like the app draw does confuse people believe it or not. Also, google probably has some statistics or whatever to back up the fact that most people never uncheck the "automatically add apps to homepage" box in the play store so they just have poo poo strewn across 6 different half-populated homescreens anyway.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anyone with a Moto G 2014 model (I have the XT1063), I just refreshed system updates and got a prompt to upgrade to 6.0 :neckbeard: Installing now :toot:

[edit] My phone is unlocked and I'm using it on Ting.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Police mocked up some screenshots based on the Android N Leak they saw.

quote:

Up at the top is a bar of quick settings toggles, which will be a welcome change. Most OEMs have made a subset of quick settings available from the notification shade for a long time, but Google has kept them all in the dedicated quick settings panel.

I look forward to excited posts from Nexus owners about what a great idea this is and why did it take Google so long to put quick toggles at the top of the notification shade I mean really Samsung has been doing it for years now!

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Fuuuck, I really like the app drawer idea, but if customers are getting confused, like chocolateTHUNDER said, then Google's gonna do what's best for UX and the rest of us nerds are boned. I tried mimicking the drawer on my iPhone by using a folder, but it's not the same.

e:

Rastor posted:

I look forward to excited posts from Nexus owners about what a great idea this is and why did it take Google so long to put quick toggles at the top of the notification shade I mean really Samsung has been doing it for years now!

Yes! Do it, Google :getin: But I don't like that individual notifications no longer have their own little "card" that separates them from each other. Looks more like the iOS notification system, which I hate.

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 29, 2016

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Butt Savage posted:

Fuuuck, I really like the app drawer idea, but if customers are getting confused, like chocolateTHUNDER said, then Google's gonna do what's best for UX and the rest of us nerds are boned. I tried mimicking the drawer on my iPhone by using a folder, but it's not the same.

e:

Yes! Do it, Google :getin:
There's still custom launchers for us nerds that'd rather use the drawer.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rastor posted:

As long as it doesn't take up a load of space like the touchwiz ones do I'm ok with this

So how is this new lack of app drawer going to work? I've not seen the rumours

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

There's still custom launchers for us nerds that'd rather use the drawer.

True, but I like the idea that the less I gotta add to make the stock OS work like I want, the better. It's not a deal breaker, but adding another layer of something running in the background for something as simple as that is kinda lame. Regardless, I don't even own an Android phone aside from the S3 I'm messing with, so I still have time to see how you guys manage when the changes are made.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

lmao right after the quick toggles shitstorm in this thread

I like the looks of the notification cards!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rastor posted:

I don't think it was so much the idea but the execution. Quick access to things you want quick access to is good, but Sammy have a habit of not only giving access to things that no one should need quick access to, but using up a shitload of room in the process. This mock up doesn't look like it falls into either of those traps. We'll see, though!

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Butt Savage posted:

True, but I like the idea that the less I gotta add to make the stock OS work like I want, the better. It's not a deal breaker, but adding another layer of something running in the background for something as simple as that is kinda lame. Regardless, I don't even own an Android phone aside from the S3 I'm messing with, so I still have time to see how you guys manage when the changes are made.
I agree with you. However, i don't think the stock launcher still runs in the background once you switch over and reboot.

But yeah, most people probably won't care. I haven't looked at googles supposed implementation yet, maybe i won't care enough to mess around with another launcher either.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

the buttons in that screenshot are infinitely better than the heap of ugly loving garbage seen

here:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is what my G4 looks like after about 30 seconds of configuring:

That said, at one point I managed to get it looking like this after I first had it, so the ability to ruin things does exist.

and here:

RVProfootballer posted:

lol come on, don't defend this garbage (though LG is worse than Samsung). This is what an LG G2 looked like when you turned it on:

Definitely only horrible for nerds with 20 notifications, not literally unable to display more than 2 notifications!

Also I thought Samsung was supposed to have made a bunch of progress in their aesthetic design, but here's an S5 vs. an S6 (randomly googled images, so no idea if this is old software versions [just kidding, of course they're on old software]):

lmao. look at that loving trash. it's ok if you like it, but it's insanely ugly and thats proof positive that you have literally no taste. not that thats a bad thing, but it is reality.

its actually good timing, as it further cements the fact that google does everything oems do, but better. the oems shovel poorly designed, ill conceived garbage onto an otherwise good as hell OS.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
it is incomprehensible to me, that there are, in this thread, living breathing humans who are aware of Android, the Nexus program, and UI/UX in general who still go out and pollute their lives with that low quality rubbish. a nice tortured metaphor would be like if you had the option to eat some p deece food or a bucket of poisoned lard, and you just chose the lard and then posted about how good it is.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

This doesn't really appear to take up any more space than the current design of the header bar on that screen. Here's an exciting spam email to demonstrate:

The new design also doesn't include NFC, Bluetooth or GPS toggles, three things that the user should not be encouraged to disable. In an ideal world this would be true of Wi-Fi as well, but we don't live in such an ideal world and I need to toggle it occasionally. If that's a cell data toggle then it's dumb.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 1, 2016

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

hahahaha

Smythe posted:

pollute their lives with that low quality rubbish

Newsflash: nobody cares

Google doesn't care

Real human beings with jobs and friends don't care

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Tunga posted:

The new design also doesn't include NFC, Bluetooth or GPS toggles, three things that the user should not be encouraged to disable. In an ideal world this would be true of Wi-Fi as well, but we don't live in such an ideal world and I need to toggle it occasionally. If that's a cell data toggle then it's dumb.

I'll bet you five bucks those toggles are there if you swipe it to the side.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Smythe posted:

the buttons in that screenshot are infinitely better than the heap of ugly loving garbage seen

here:

and here:

RVProfootballer posted:

lol come on, don't defend this garbage (though LG is worse than Samsung). This is what an LG G2 looked like when you turned it on:

Definitely only horrible for nerds with 20 notifications, not literally unable to display more than 2 notifications!

Also I thought Samsung was supposed to have made a bunch of progress in their aesthetic design, but here's an S5 vs. an S6 (randomly googled images, so no idea if this is old software versions [just kidding, of course they're on old software]):

lmao. look at that loving trash. it's ok if you like it, but it's insanely ugly and thats proof positive that you have literally no taste. not that thats a bad thing, but it is reality.

its actually good timing, as it further cements the fact that google does everything oems do, but better. the oems shovel poorly designed, ill conceived garbage onto an otherwise good as hell OS.

Yes, those screenshots from late 2013 sure do look like poo poo. Really, what the gently caress is wrong with you, LG, not releasing designs from 2 1/2 years in the future??

Here are, side by side, the rumored Google design, what a Samsung phone actually looks like, and what an LG phone actually looks like:

While I agree that LG could probably stand to desaturate and compact their design a bit, I don't think those qualify as crimes against humanity. And those are how they look out of the box, there are also options for theming and customizing to improve them a bit.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
so the s7 doesn't have the ugliest cyan/yellow skin on it anymore by default? easily the worst part of the note 5.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

Here are, side by side, the rumored Google design, what a Samsung phone actually looks like, and what an LG phone actually looks like:

The only thing that proves is that the design on the left shows three notifications in the space the ones to the right of it show useless toggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Those OEM toggles are not only ugly, but they're bigger than Xbox and situated on prime ui real estate.