Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also they're partially integrating the madness meters from Unknown Armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh god why do I want to create a pseudo-retroclone that uses 4e style tactical abilities and Fate-esque stunts and the Cypher System's "I am an <adjective> <class> that <things>"? There's no way that's a good idea.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh god why do I want to create a pseudo-retroclone that uses 4e style tactical abilities and Fate-esque stunts and the Cypher System's "I am an <adjective> <class> that <things>"? There's no way that's a good idea.

That's Strike! dude

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

...oh yeah.

Well, that makes my life a lot easier then.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Happy Read an RPG In Public Week, I guess.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'd be curious to know if this ever convinced even a single person to try out RPGs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I guess it like, uh, tells you that the person reading it plays RPGs and could be a way to find people to play with, like if you're new to an area

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The "puts pokemon gym badge pins on their backpack" of ttrpgs

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'd be curious to know if this ever convinced even a single person to try out RPGs.
I think the idea is that someone would come over and start talking to you about what that weird book you're reading is?

Not that I think that'd ever happen, because generally speaking people don't bother complete strangers who are just trying to sit down and enjoy reading something at the cafe or whatever.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
More to the point most RPGs have terrible covers I wouldn't want to read in public.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
I'm the guy in the pic reading Exalted: The Infernals

Mmm yes, a fine example of a teenage rape-monster womb *nods sagely*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

I'm the guy in the pic reading Exalted: The Infernals

Mmm yes, a fine example of a teenage rape-monster womb *nods sagely*

Me: Hey man do you buy stuff on Fakku books too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Goin' to the state fair so I can read an RPG book, raisin' all that awareness, yup yup.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
What kind of person sees someone reading a book and thinks "now there's someone who's trying to talk"?

Edit: if you really want new blood in elf games just find a bar with a game night and bring a one off or something gently caress

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm going to do this at the coffee bar this week but I'm also going to put up a sign that says "Please Notice What I Am Reading And Ask Me About It" to make sure people get the point.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ominous Jazz posted:

Edit: if you really want new blood in elf games just find a bar with a game night and bring a one off or something gently caress

Are bars with game nights common in the English speaking world? I have seen exactly one here in Italy, and even then it only did some sort of quiz show and nothing else.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It feels like a protest against the Satanic Panic even though IIRC it's a relatively recent tradition. I mean whenever I'm pouring over a Shadowrun book at a coffee shop with my laptop, I just look like a regular student reading a textbook.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephirum posted:

It feels like a protest against the Satanic Panic even though IIRC it's a relatively recent tradition. I mean whenever I'm pouring over a Shadowrun book at a coffee shop with my laptop, I just look like a regular student reading a textbook.

<joke about ShadowRun's chart-heavy complexity here>

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

paradoxGentleman posted:

Are bars with game nights common in the English speaking world? I have seen exactly one here in Italy, and even then it only did some sort of quiz show and nothing else.

If they aren't you could probably start one. I doubt a bar is gonna be uninterested in a bunch of people reliably showing up once a month or something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Absolutely not

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think the idea is that someone would come over and start talking to you about what that weird book you're reading is?

Not that I think that'd ever happen, because generally speaking people don't bother complete strangers who are just trying to sit down and enjoy reading something at the cafe or whatever.
You would think that but more often than not when Im reading an RPG book they ask me about said RPG book. Mind you the people asking know what an RPG is so it defeats the purpose but still.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To be fair, I have found out there are young people that know D&D, know Warhammer, know Magic, but have never heard of Vampire: the Masquerade.

Our cultural heritage will vanish if we don't inflict preserve it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A couple weeks back, I actually did have one of my work colleagues come up to me and ask me about D&D and then further to teach him how to play, but that's because I was doing session prep at work and would regularly have the PDFs open on my laptop.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

have never heard of Vampire: the Masquerade.

im glad

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, I have found out there are young people that know D&D, know Warhammer, know Magic, but have never heard of Vampire: the Masquerade.

Our cultural heritage will vanish if we don't inflict preserve it.

"We must secure the existence of our kindred and a future for pasty goths."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That reminds me. The other day I was at my game store playing Netrunner when a couple of gangly looking late-teens/early adults in full-blown vampire dress-up...like, one of them was going hard for the Bela Lugosi look if Bela Lugosi wore a glamorous red corset...came in and asked the store owner if he carried bezzum.

"I'm sorry?"

"Bezzum."

"I...can you say that again?"

"Bezzum. You know, Big Eyes, Small Mouth."

I politely explained that BESM hasn't been in print for something like a decade and that the parent company was long out of business, and that they could probably find a pirated copy without too much effort. I also directed them towards Strike! and FATE if they were looking for something on the lighter side that promoted reskinning and such, they thanked us and left. And that's my vampire story.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Kai Tave posted:

And that's my vampire story.

Big eyes Small print run.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

OVA would would be what they're looking for, almost precisely. At the very least, it's full of Niko Geyer art.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Countblanc posted:

Absolutely not

I've only lived in college towns my whole life, one day I'll go back to school :negative: , so I guess my point of reference is hosed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

OVA would would be what they're looking for, almost precisely. At the very least, it's full of Niko Geyer art.

Yeah, I should have. I completely forgot OVA was even a thing that existed tbh.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ominous Jazz posted:

I've only lived in college towns my whole life, one day I'll go back to school :negative: , so I guess my point of reference is hosed.

You're probably right that you could start something if you wanted, but I don't think any bars in my town would want people posting LFG bulletins on their wall. More like, if you got a group together you wouldn't get kicked out if you went to one on the right night (ie not a weekend).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Zephirum posted:

It feels like a protest against the Satanic Panic even though IIRC it's a relatively recent tradition.

The degree to which no one gives a poo poo about RPGs these days often has no effect on whether or not someone is worried Pat Pulling is about to rise from her grave and join forces with Tipper Gore to destroy teenage fun forever.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ominous Jazz posted:

If they aren't you could probably start one. I doubt a bar is gonna be uninterested in a bunch of people reliably showing up once a month or something.

My former IRL group used to meet up at an English pub in Frankfurt during the first "get to know this group of internet strangers before we decide to start hosting sessions at someone's house" phase, maybe around 3-4 sessions. The bar was chill with it and wasn't busy on the nights we gamed, and it was generally a positive experience (aside from the occasional drunk rear end in a top hat). Also you can order beer there.

But the current town I'm in has a board game bar -- one of those places you can go to and pay 5 euro or something and check out one of their huge selection of games for the evening, and they serve beer/finger food. I haven't checked it out yet, but I know there's at least some RPG'ing happening there... there used to be a Pathfinder Society weekly thing there, at least if I remember right. It's just a shame I live in a small city and most of my nerdgame friends are online.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am really jealous of folks who have board game bars in their cities. I don't think there's one anywhere around this part of the country.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
We have a few but the game stores that let you screw around with store copies and bring in beer are better.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Anyone here who actually played Warbirds, and if so, how did you like it?

iccyelf
Jan 10, 2016

paradoxGentleman posted:

Pub Trivia? Isn't that a thing everywhere?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
So I read my new copy of Night's Black Agents, on the bus home from the game store. No societal upheavals, yet. Mission Accomplished, I guess?...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

grassy gnoll posted:

Anyone here who actually played Warbirds, and if so, how did you like it?

It's pretty okay. The setting stuff is fun and evocative for adventures. The system was more simplistic than I expected; task resolution is downright dull and if your players are into mechanics at all they'll quickly figure out which maneuvers are the best. If I were to run it again I'd use the rules from FATE Worlds instead of the system in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pope Guilty posted:

Also they're partially integrating the madness meters from Unknown Armies.

That is something that can happen when you bring Greg Stolze in on a project.

• Locked thread