Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
Is Grey taking a break because 1942 wasn't a leap year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Jesenjin posted:

:aaaaa:

whitewhale posted:

Are you sure you selected the correct island for the Pearl raid? The naval war is going to get painful soon.
Why, are the battleships going to be a big boon to AI amphibious landings or what?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cruiser raiding fleets, only with battleships instead.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Jesenjin posted:

Yes, sadly Grey gets one day off over the next 3+ years and today was it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Look forward to a double post in two years' time, since 1944 was a leap year!

e. Also 1948, of course. Can you even keep the game going into 1948, or does it have to stop earlier than that?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Mikl posted:

Look forward to a double post in two years' time, since 1944 was a leap year!

e. Also 1948, of course. Can you even keep the game going into 1948, or does it have to stop earlier than that?

The latest the game ends is on March 31 1946.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure we'll be done with the conquest of the continental United States before that, though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

As the leap years don't match up this time, I'm going to use this day to make my February report.

While I'm behind the AI game, there are several reasons for this – I was saving troops by abandoning Singapore and the Philippines, while the AI is defending them hard, so my progress will be slower. I've also been a lot more conservative with my ships this time around, so the losses there have been lower.

The number of bases is lower, but this should pick up now I've freed up troops in the Philippines.

In base points, things look about the same.

I'm making gains in the aircraft kills, but its been a lot less bloody this time around.

Here are our top pilots, for those who are interested.

Its been a lot less bloody on the ground as well.

In the last game, We'd already had a major carrier battle, but here the allied ships are hiding, and I'm not hunting them as hard.

The ship points say the same, and there are no juicy battleships one there from Pearl.

The number of good kills on there is small. I need them to send out their carriers!

So, lets take a look at the economy!

Here are the pools, at this stage, its mostly for reference.

Aaaand thats the RnD – comments would be helpful, this is where I struggle the most! The very bottom is our current production pools.

The good thing about the reduced air combat?

I have fighters in the pools! Look at this people, this may well be the only time.....

I have a save of this time point, so I can get any screens/comments needed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's with the messed up X axes on these? Just some quick of whatever you used to make them (Excel presumably)?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I spy a Shinden in the middle of that list, you have an engine lined up for it? And some research into Seirans, mayby my lucky ship will get built.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 1, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

What's with the messed up X axes on these? Just some quick of whatever you used to make them (Excel presumably)?

Google docs, I didn't even notice, but it may be that I only updated the cells for one section and not the other - I'll try and sort it for next month.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Do you have user-defined upgrades on?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Grey Hunter posted:

Aaaand thats the RnD – comments would be helpful, this is where I struggle the most! The very bottom is our current production pools.

This UI. Goddamn.

I would love to get into this game, but the UI just looks unbelievably bad.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
N1Ks are cool, make those.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Grey, would it be possible to get a brief rundown of our major surface vessels and what they're currently up to/ their short term plans?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Confidence remains high amongst our sub captains.

We begin attacking the base that has the enemy planes stationed there.

We strike hard at Changsha, and take down more of their fortifications. We are going to need to rest up for a few days however.

We also start attacking at Chengchow.

We're into another of those troops on the move times. So things have quietened down a smig.

One kill is better than none – or a loss!

In other news, we clear the mines from Bataan, so ships can now head there to pick up the troops currently resting there.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably this Santa Rita: http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/1914.html, though I'm not sure why it's in theatre.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Um when I started up scenario one, a text file was generated in my save folder called "updateReport" and has messages like
"TOE difference in unit 1st Burma(6695)
--> slot 16 has Support(252), to become (0)
TOE difference in unit 2nd Burma(6696)
--> slot 10 has (0), to become Engineers(251)
TOE difference in unit 2nd Burma(6696)
--> slot 11 has (0), to become Engineer Vehicle(250)"

How bad is this?

Also, once I destroy enough units in Central China to keep Burma open, which direction should I advance in, Indochina or Korea?

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 1, 2016

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

A White Guy posted:

This UI. Goddamn.

I would love to get into this game, but the UI just looks unbelievably bad.
Yeah, really makes me wish there was something intermediate between this game and War Plan Pacific.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hmm, what happens if an allied unit crosses the soviet border pre-45? Can you keep them supplied while they're there?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

Probably this Santa Rita: http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/1914.html, though I'm not sure why it's in theatre.

That's the wrong ship, tonnage is different

It "should" be the SANTA RITA built by Burmeister & Wain.

http://cruiselinehistory.com/last-of-the-american-flag-passenger-ships-ss-santa-maria-1983-delta-lines-the-grace-line/

Its pretty far down, just ctrl+F it. In-game, the SANTA RITA has a tonnage of 4620 and speed of 12 knots, which coincides with the details provide above and below.

"Santa Rita (1) 1929 1940 to US Government renamed William Ward Burrows, 1946 laid up, 1957 scrapped. 4,576"

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/grace.shtml

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Its really quiet in the air.

We take more land in Sumatra.

We once again strike the enemy. Tomorrow we shall shock attack and destroy them. If I remember to set the attack and not get distracted moving ships around.

This is the largest Chinese force around, and it seems to be marching on Sinyang.....

Nothing to say today!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our subs have been quiet for a while, but they are still out there.

The men in Buna get bombed once more.

Another Chinese Corps is obliterated.

The lull continues. This should change in the next few days.

At least we get one of those cruisers from last month.

It is confession time – I thought this port was large enough to resupply the Kido Butai – it has the fuel, but no port large enough to dock them, so I'm going to give it a go using an oiler. After that, I may just have to mess around with the task force size itself.

Its not like the allied carriers are anywhere to be seen.
(Yes, this is a deliberate ploy to bring them out.)Q

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Submarining inside the Great Barrier Reef must be terrifying.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

I notice that this task force is indeed named 'Kido Butai', is that automatic, or can the player give names to task forces?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rexim posted:

I notice that this task force is indeed named 'Kido Butai', is that automatic, or can the player give names to task forces?

Yes you can name TF's whatever you want.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Grey Hunter posted:

It is confession time – I thought this port was large enough to resupply the Kido Butai – it has the fuel, but no port large enough to dock them, so I'm going to give it a go using an oiler. After that, I may just have to mess around with the task force size itself.

Its not like the allied carriers are anywhere to be seen.
(Yes, this is a deliberate ploy to bring them out.)Q

That port isn't big enough to refuel the Kaga on its own and it would take all day to do that one ship even if it could.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where would you even go? Send a fleet oiler along and get them to Manilla on fumes? Cleared Bataan enough yet to risk the big slabs?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The oiler is small enough to dock and can fuel all the ships. Sticking repair/ammo/oiler ships in tiny ports is how you keep your big ships topped off on the front lines.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How long does that take? I suppose they don't need repairs, so docking isn't that important, but leaving them sitting there...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The first troops being to leave the Philippines, and there is an American sub waiting – one of the smaller ones with the working torpedoes.

Australia is such a nice place to hunt.

The I-24 is having a good day!

The Vildebeest! They live!

We strike another ship.

My tanks roll over an enemy unit.

A new header! These guys have been marching north for literally months, and now get into action.

We have reached Burma, and the ships are arriving at Bataan to pick up the troops there – who are slowly replacing their losses.

This is not an even trade.

I dock up the large ships, but its still going to take several days to refuel them – on the plus side, at least their not needlessly burning precious fuel. Plus they only need enough to get to Truk.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

How much are the ops penalties hurting him regarding the KB? Wouldn't it be better to put them in separate task forces but in the same hex? It's helped me at Guadalcanal.

Of course knowing Grey he might send one of those task forces to beach itself at Pearl Harbor by accident.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:raise:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

If it means what I think it means, RIP Kido Butai, killed by Grey's fuel negligence.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Task force is going to end up half ships with max fuel, half ships with fumes. Then it will take 20 days to rebalance the fuel load.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm not quite sure why the hell you'd send such a giant TF to a size 3 port in the first place. That should really be such an obvious no no that you should automatically disregard it without even thinking about it.

IIRC, port size 3 is barely big enough to unload vehicles from transports.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

well, it's not like they're going that far. :p

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not quite sure why the hell you'd send such a giant TF to a size 3 port in the first place. That should really be such an obvious no no that you should automatically disregard it without even thinking about it.

IIRC, port size 3 is barely big enough to unload vehicles from transports.

So what is the minimum recommended port size to use as a forward base for amphibious operations?

EDIT: Also where should I move Force Z after the DEI fall? I'm thinking of Darwin but the port seems too small.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 4, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dreamsicle posted:

So what is the minimum recommended port size to use as a forward base for amphibious operations?

If you want to fully service a badly depleted fleet the size Grey is using in less than like a week, I'd say you need a size 8 port. There's just a handful of those. Large guns and torpedoes can't be rearmed under port level 7, basically. I think you can't replenish carrier sorties at all in a port below level 6, since there's a minimum rearm cost threshold for each sortie.

Dreamsicle posted:

EDIT: Also where should I move Force Z after the DEI fall? I'm thinking of Darwin but the port seems too small.

What are your strategic plans? You should be able to move to Perth, possibly refuelling at Java, once you get there you can reach pretty much any point on the map; other than that there's not much of a choice besides Rangoon -> India.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

steinrokkan posted:

If you want to fully service a badly depleted fleet the size Grey is using in less than like a week, I'd say you need a size 8 port. There's just a handful of those. Large guns and torpedoes can't be rearmed under port level 7, basically. I think you can't replenish carrier sorties at all in a port below level 6, since there's a minimum rearm cost threshold for each sortie.

What are your strategic plans? You should be able to move to Perth, possibly refuelling at Java, once you get there you can reach pretty much any point on the map; other than that there's not much of a choice besides Rangoon -> India.

You can move them to Perth. I get rather OCD and move PoW off map to cape town until she gets her January 42 upgrade (1200 AA!). Then I OCD about things, like not having capital ships in mixed fleets national fleets.

So I move Warspite easy to India via Capetown, then if Repulse is still alive combine in Colombo.

Really though my OCD is a pain, because I will keep Repulse and PoW together with slow dinosaur Battleships like Royal Sovereign and Ramillies.