Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

winterwerefox posted:

If you grab that container, you have all the time in the world for map clean up. Its only the 12 round missions that are get out or fail. 8 round missions are get to the doohicky, click the glowy, then kill all or extract at your discretion.

I'm aware, but trying to do a dash'n'grab when your brawniest soldier has 7HP is not a winning proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How do reinforcements work exactly? What determines when they appear? Are they 100% random? They drive me crazy. Half the time they are easy kills, the other half they lose me my entire ironman campaign.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wish completing the objective and bailing didn't count as a mission failure. I know I don't get the corpses, but dammit I stopped the dark event :argh:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Danaru posted:

I wish completing the objective and bailing didn't count as a mission failure. I know I don't get the corpses, but dammit I stopped the dark event :argh:

I would actually like a mod that change this

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How do reinforcements work exactly? What determines when they appear? Are they 100% random? They drive me crazy. Half the time they are easy kills, the other half they lose me my entire ironman campaign.

When you complete the objective they should be called in. Like when you grab/kill the vip or hack the device or destory the pillar.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tenzarin posted:

When you complete the objective they should be called in. Like when you grab/kill the vip or hack the device or destory the pillar.

In my experience it happens when you're within a turn of reaching the objective. You don't necessarily have to see/damage/hack it before that flare goes down. I believe you also have to have engaged at least 1 pod.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

LowellDND posted:

How many soldiers are people running usually? I buy ~10 new ones at the start of the game and then just grab mission rewards. For Commander+, how many is a good pool?

Look at this chump who mods cheaper rookies.

On Commander+ they cost 40. I can't afford to buy more than one after starting to build the GTS.

Edit: Normally, I like phantom rangers better because Rapid Fire is so much better at clutching than Reaper--but with the all pods active mod phantom is a lot less useful. I may try to make a Rapid Fire blademastrer ranger at some point.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 1, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The missions with a pre-set evac zone and a forced retreat timer are maybe my least favorite type in the game. It just doesn't make sense in a way that messes with ~my immersion~ especially because it just boned an Ironman run for me. Like, in other missions I can choose an evac point whenever. Why, in some cases, is the pickup zone arbitrarily defined beforehand (and always on the opposite side of the map from where I came in)?

I understand it from a a gameplay / mission design perspective, I just wonder if there'd be a better way. If it worked like normal missions you could just get the VIP then drop an evac zone right on his head and I can see why they want to give you more cause to run out in the open for a turn or two, but... I dunno. The image it conjures is the Skyranger swooping down, letting the troops out, then flying directly over the objective and sitting on the other side of it for a good 10 minutes completely immobile. Maybe it can't hover over the building the VIP is in because there's... alien jammer tech or an AA gun or something but at least let me tell the pilot 'hey can you move a couple yards to the right'?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 1, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

BenRGamer posted:

Look at this chump who mods cheaper rookies.

On Commander+ they cost 40. I can't afford to buy more than one after starting to build the GTS.

There will never be a time when suicide vests make tactical sense in this game :(

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

NmareBfly posted:

The missions with a pre-set evac zone and a forced retreat timer are maybe my least favorite type in the game. It just doesn't make sense in a way that messes with ~my immersion~ especially because it just boned an Ironman run for me. Like, in other missions I can choose an evac point whenever. Why, in some cases, is the pickup zone arbitrarily defined beforehand (and always on the opposite side of the map from where I came in)?

I understand it from a a gameplay / mission design perspective, I just wonder if there'd be a better way. If it worked like normal missions you could just get the VIP then drop an evac zone right on his head and I can see why they want to give you more cause to run out in the open for a turn or two, but... I dunno. The image it conjures is the Skyranger swooping down, letting the troops out, then flying directly over the objective and sitting on the other side of it for a good 10 minutes completely immobile. Maybe it can't hover over the building the VIP is in because there's... alien jammer tech or an AA gun or something but at least let me tell the pilot 'hey can you move a couple yards to the right'?

What I'd like to see is a mission where you can't evac until you do an objective.

Like destroy an AA Turret that would otherwise shoot down the skyranger, once that's down you can call in the evac like normal.

You could combine this with the VIP missions as well.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Make it so you can't drop the evac zone within X units of where the VIP was (because of a jammer or AA gun or satellites or chemtrails,) then make a unit of reinforcements always spawn and run in from the same direction you dropped in on so you can't just retrace your steps through cleared ground every time. Also activate all the other pods on the map when you achieve the objective.

I also had one mission pre ironman runs where I got everyone out but my sniper who WOULD have been within one turn of the evac zone but an advent took a pot shot and blew up a single piece of cover on the edge of the square. Ops guy comes on and says 'The evac zone has been compromised! Moving it somewhere else!' and it dumps a new zone on the other side of the map. I think it also gave me an additional three turns to get there but I just ended up reloading because there's no way the one sniper would have made it with two mecs and a commander still around.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Goddamit. Commander ironman, I just had a simple "blow up the relay" mission turn into a "all 3 pods activate and gently caress you, everyone but one person dies before you can evac." Then the UFO chases me down. First turn, phantom ranger moves into cover. Activates 3 pods.

I am going to take a bit of a break.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Benagain posted:

Goddamit. Commander ironman, I just had a simple "blow up the relay" mission turn into a "all 3 pods activate and gently caress you, everyone but one person dies before you can evac." Then the UFO chases me down. First turn, phantom ranger moves into cover. Activates 3 pods.

I am going to take a bit of a break.

If you don't need to savescum every once in awhile, it's not hard enough.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
So I beat the game on Commander+ with the More Extreme increased squad size mod, and it was a blast. But, I'm feeling like having a group of super soldiers fighting the alien hordes. So, all the mods making enemies tougher, double enemy squad size, but I get super soldiers.

So, there's two mods that seemed like the'd help even the odds: Choosable AWC abilities, and Get Both Perks. The problem is, they both override the same file. Get Both Perks, though, literally changes two lines. I can just copy/paste a bit of code, and BAM, should work.

Except then the mod did nothing at all. Like, completely worthless. It didn't even do the original mod's stuff.

Long story short: I don't know HOW this fixed it, but by verifying the game cache, then hitting the little recycle button on the game launcher, then copy/pasting the files into the Workshop folder, and then verifying the game cache again, it now properly reads the mod from the modbuddy folder.

Like, I don't even know what's going on. But at least it works.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Screenshots, "I've Already Won And Now I'm Toying With The Bastards While I Farm Achievements" edition:

I call this one "ADVENT Trooper having a very bad day"

Letting them shoot back is completely optional.

Petition to rename squad ANDROME-COM

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Haha Jane "Cougar" Kelly. What have YOU been up to. :crossarms:

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I beat Legendary but with a TON of save scumming. So I started up a Commander Ironman game thinking I was hot poo poo. 15 retries later I finally have a squad that wasn't loving obliterated by the first 4 missions. Ironman is awesome.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

CapnAndy posted:

Screenshots, "I've Already Won And Now I'm Toying With The Bastards While I Farm Achievements" edition:

I call this one "ADVENT Trooper having a very bad day"

Letting them shoot back is completely optional.

Petition to rename squad ANDROME-COM

wow nice custom soldiers!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MikeC posted:

She rolled Ranger in my first game ever and everyone memorable goes into the character pool. Jane "Cougar" Kelly forever!

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

CapnAndy posted:

She rolled Ranger in my first game ever and everyone memorable goes into the character pool. Jane "Cougar" Kelly forever!

I think she always rolls Ranger.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Also, I just modded in a nerf mod to Stun Lancers after having a squaddie die from full health to a crit melee hit in one of my first missions. Uh nope, don't need an enemy that gets a permanent +40% or whatever to crit on an attack that will usually hit after suicide sprinting across the map the turn I activate it. The unconscious rolls I can handle, but them covering 30+ tiles to kill a full health dude in full cover the turn they activate is stupid and bad and isn't allowed in my game. :colbert:

EDIT: The squaddie was Nicholas "Ghost Rider" Cage dressed as a Stormtrooper

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Actually, screw this, does anyone know like the max size of units into enemy pods? I want literally all the aliens. Like, at what point do things start to break.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao two identical voice packs released in the same day.

Anyone tried this random loot mod ?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=634384547

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MikeC posted:

Listen, when you kill that many xenos, you get some leeway on your particular appetites.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Actually, screw this, does anyone know like the max size of units into enemy pods? I want literally all the aliens. Like, at what point do things start to break.

I recommend either IEE+ or double pod mod. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=633218387

Next campaign I plan to :D

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

NmareBfly posted:

some <insert stupid excuse here> that lets you drop a second evac zone, for everybody except the VIP who has to go to the main one.

So you can evac individual soldiers, or get the gently caress out if things go sideways

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I've actually had some kind of error checking routine catch the fact that a pre-placed evac zone was not in fact on the playable map, and Bradford moved it to a really easy location on Turn 2. Cheers Central.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I had that happen to me for the first time today as well

It was kinda neat!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

LowellDND posted:

I recommend either IEE+ or double pod mod.

I used IEE+ already, is double pod mod more?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's hilarious how much better Killzone does on a grenadier than a sniper. Especially with shredder.

e: Even better, it doesn't use a bullet to turn on like with the sniper. It's objectively better in every way on a Grenadier.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 1, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I used IEE+ already, is double pod mod more?

It ... might be? The little pods of 2 might go to 4, but the 4s will go to 8s. So.

Edit: Id say add 'all pods active' 'call reinforcements' and 'enemy buff'.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

LowellDND posted:

It ... might be? The little pods of 2 might go to 4, but the 4s will go to 8s. So.

Edit: Id say add 'all pods active' 'call reinforcements' and 'enemy buff'.

Ok, so I looked at Double Enemy and it said they had to tone it down because of crashing. So, yeah, calling reinforcements and buffing enemies. Thanks!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally found a perception mod. :toot:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

SeaTard posted:

I want to say in either GameCore.ini there is a num_starting_soldiers that you can edit. It was there in Xcom1 at least, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't still there in Xcom2.

The ini files actually contain hold overs from EW. It doesn't work last I checked? It's possible its some weird mod override issue or something but honestly my way works just as well.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

many johnnys posted:

The wiki says that overdrive serum is removed permanently upon use? Is that right? Then you have to make more of them? Because that sounds way different from how every other item in the game works.
That's right. Its only saving grace is that it is a free use item. You can pop it and still have two full moves, ending with extra armor/health for tending to situations where you absolutely must do *thing* right now while leaving someone exposed. (For best use, cast inspire with a psi op after you pop it and take three moves. Or put it on a ranger with implacable, cast inspire, pop run and gun, and take four moves, etc.) Mostly, I think its functionality should be traded with the mimic beacon, but even that would be a little broken. I think the problem with it is they can't do persistent item charges across different tactical instances. It's potentially too good to be reusable as-is and not good enough to be single use, but they don't seem to have a way to track item uses for individual things outside the tactical mode.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So how do I make Faceless appear on all maps? Or, what file should I be looking in?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
XCOM1 question:

So I have never played this game in my life ever and I got EW for 8 bucks on Steam. I kinda jumped into Long War after seeing Beagle play it and promptly got smashed sideways even after on normal and enabling several Second Wave options. But now when I jump into the base game it just seems so...plain. Is there a compromise somewhere?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Spawn pools. Faceless, berserks, chrysallids are all terror only. Edit them into other pools for fun.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

SynthOrange posted:

Spawn pools. Faceless, berserks, chrysallids are all terror only. Edit them into other pools for fun.

Excellent :unsmigghh:

Monolith. posted:

XCOM1 question:

So I have never played this game in my life ever and I got EW for 8 bucks on Steam. I kinda jumped into Long War after seeing Beagle play it and promptly got smashed sideways even after on normal and enabling several Second Wave options. But now when I jump into the base game it just seems so...plain. Is there a compromise somewhere?

There are a mess of mods people stapled onto Long War to make it managable. My mega list is here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QoMfXfUkuVnkdep3sq27LVh3kghS-cQvrWQWAuz7oeA/edit but you may just want to grab 'easier long war' to begin with.

LW didnt have the steam workshop, so it encouraged a lot of homebrew modding :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Remember thread, throw a second grenade before you post on SA