Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skychrono posted:

Speaking of "this place sucks," it does seem like there are a lot fewer posts all over the place.

The forums are dying Cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

The problem is it's the least interesting possible poo poo to read and there's absolutely no discussion to take place about it. Nobody cares if some other person doesn't want to subscribe to ps+ or what it will take to get them to, unless that person explicitly works for Sony on ps+ new subscriptions and retention rates.

I think everybody wants good games, and I doubt a single person has ever said "whoa this random goon is happy they didn't resubscribe to ps+? poo poo I am glad I found out!"

True but what ya gonna do?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Putting out a little shout out for our overlooked friend The Last Guy.  It's got a great mix of bizarre matched with cabinet arcade style gameplay.  There's also some nice game mechanics and you'll start to notice how much more of a puzzle game it is than a twitch game.  Good stuff.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
With PS+ devolving into an indy game subscription service you'd have to be out of your mind to actually pay for pretty much any independent title that gets published on PSN. Seems like it's just a matter of time till whatever it is ends up on Plus.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've bought a ton of indie games that have never been on plus

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

BGrifter posted:

With PS+ devolving into an indy game subscription service you'd have to be out of your mind to actually pay for pretty much any independent title that gets published on PSN. Seems like it's just a matter of time till whatever it is ends up on Plus.

If your time has no value this is true, but otherwise I think you should buy poo poo when you want to play it and have time.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

So, it's still $20 on steam...? Is it free one steam too that I'm missing? I'd rather pay nothing for a game than pay $20 for it and get the exact same experience. You also have a whole lot of PS+ members to play with online and it's cross play between vita/ps3/ps4 as well, which helps the player base.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Billy Elliot posted:

So, it's still $20 on steam...? Is it free one steam too that I'm missing? I'd rather pay nothing for a game than pay $20 for it and get the exact same experience. You also have a whole lot of PS+ members to play with online and it's cross play between vita/ps3/ps4 as well, which helps the player base.

No, it's not free. Just saying if he wants that and doesn't mind the extra cash, he can get it there. Personally i prefer the Steam version, since, while it's functionally identical, i get to play at higher resolution, higher fps, and with more of my own hardware, as well as the mouse.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I don't see what the problem is with wanting better from PS+ and I say this as someone who hasn't minded what they've released so far. As it is right now it's just Indie Game Subscription. It's not one thing or the other. It's not either Indie games or lovely launch titles. There should be a mix between retail and indie though, and that's certainly not the case. Right now, once my sub is up I can't think of a reason to continue it.

there is no reason for sony to put retail titles up on ps+ being just over 2 years into the life of a console which is igoing to end up as at leas thteir 2nd best selling piece of hardware they have ever made. its not going to happen, not for a while. its going to be indie games with MAYBE a retail title every now and again (injustice so far).

so maybve everyone who is somehow surprised every month that they arent putting out free retail titles on a console providing huge profit s to a compoany struggling financially can shut the gently caress up about it now and just cancel their ps+ if its upsetting them so much.

namast.e

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

well poo poo

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

there is no reason for sony to put retail titles up on ps+ being just over 2 years into the life of a console which is igoing to end up as at leas thteir 2nd best selling piece of hardware they have ever made.

I know the PS3 started off slow, but I thought it gained a lot of ground later in the generation. That aside, didn't both the ps and ps2 sell like hotcakes? PS4 is the clear winner for units sold this gen, but this generation as a whole seems to have a very slow adoption rate.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The PS4 is selling faster than the PS2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah ps3 was slow for 4 years and caught up/won in the end. ps4 is the first console to launch for sony with adequate supply so it is able to sell faster than before but there is no guarantee that it will eclipse ps2. by now beating ps3 easily is guaranteed since its done half as many in 1/4 the time.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ape Agitator posted:

Putting out a little shout out for our overlooked friend The Last Guy.  It's got a great mix of bizarre matched with cabinet arcade style gameplay.  There's also some nice game mechanics and you'll start to notice how much more of a puzzle game it is than a twitch game.  Good stuff.

I'll second this. I bought it when it first came out--really loving fun game. Bizarre as poo poo, too.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah ps3 was slow for 4 years and caught up/won in the end. ps4 is the first console to launch for sony with adequate supply so it is able to sell faster than before

There are a lot of reasons PS3 was so slow catch on, and that's probably among the least important (especially since hardware makers have been exaggerating shortages for years to drum up hype/ as an excuse for poor sales). Taking into account inflation, it launched at over $700. The reason it caught up was because the price went down, Blu-ray won the HD wars, and they finally made a decent library of games for it.
PS4 is doing so well because Sony got all of those things right much faster. Not to mention all of their competition dropping the ball spectacularly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

barren_sky posted:

There are a lot of reasons PS3 was so slow catch on, and that's probably among the least important (especially since hardware makers have been exaggerating shortages for years to drum up hype/ as an excuse for poor sales). Taking into account inflation, it launched at over $700. The reason it caught up was because the price went down, Blu-ray won the HD wars, and they finally made a decent library of games for it.
PS4 is doing so well because Sony got all of those things right much faster. Not to mention all of their competition dropping the ball spectacularly.

apologies for giving the impression that i was making a causal relationship there. two separate thoughts. everything you write is correct

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's probably worth mentioning the Vita TV (PSTV) was effectively discontinued in Japan today. They're probably going to relax the game compatibility as a result.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dehry posted:

It's probably worth mentioning the Vita TV (PSTV) was effectively discontinued in Japan today. They're probably going to relax the game compatibility as a result.

Iirc devs need to actively put their game on the whitelist for it to work so they might just stop doing that.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Real hurthling! posted:

Iirc devs need to actively put their game on the whitelist for it to work so they might just stop doing that.

I heard there were a lot of crashes when people played games that weren't on the whitelist with that glitch from a while back. There must be unsupported APIs on PSTV

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eldred posted:

I heard there were a lot of crashes when people played games that weren't on the whitelist with that glitch from a while back. There must be unsupported APIs on PSTV

At least in Senran Kagura it constantly pops up an error about not having a microphone installed. While the error doesn't affect gameplay, it is annoying.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dehry posted:

Crap, now nothing will get on the whitelist. Not that I should care anymore but they do keep cranking poo poo out for Vita

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anything on preorder hitting at 9pm PST (12 Midnight EST?) for PS4?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

:rip: Yechezkel - pouring one out for the best PSPoster :smith:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

He left and took the PS TV with him. :(

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Has there been any word on whether PS4 will ever support FLAC audio files?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

68k posted:

Has there been any word on whether PS4 will ever support FLAC audio files?

I don't think the PS4 even supports most of the media features the PS3 did. Adding new media features is sort of a pipe dream.

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
Uncharted 4 multiplayer open beta this weekend. Should be nice to try it out.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
We didn't deserve Yechezkel. Farewell sweet prince.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Billy Elliot posted:

For anyone who tried the closed beta back in December (I think), was it basically gears of war? Because that's what it looked like to me.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

housefly posted:

For anyone who tried the closed beta back in December (I think), was it basically gears of war? Because that's what it looked like to me.

No it was uncharted 3 with grappling hooks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

housefly posted:

not really the characters are extremely mobile and you can spawn npc buddies to run point for you. i didn't like it very much though because i was still playing tlou and mgo was still relevant at the time and the 3rd person shooting felt a lot better in those games. UC4 continues to have really weird feeling uncharted shooting that all the games in the collection seem to have although its hard to describe, idk.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Screencheat is live on the store now. Pretty fun arena shooter where everyone is invisible and you have to screencheat to tell where everyone else is. Played some earlier versions and it's worth a gander.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Billy Elliot posted:

Is this US only or can us scrubs in PAL regions get involved?

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Is this US only or can us scrubs in PAL regions get involved?

It's up on the EU store and will be up on NA tomorrow.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

AlmightyBob posted:

No it was uncharted 3 with grappling hooks

I haven't even made it through the first uncharted game so this unfortunately doesn't give me context.

Real hurthling! posted:

not really the characters are extremely mobile and you can spawn npc buddies to run point for you. i didn't like it very much though because i was still playing tlou and mgo was still relevant at the time and the 3rd person shooting felt a lot better in those games. UC4 continues to have really weird feeling uncharted shooting that all the games in the collection seem to have although its hard to describe, idk.

I don't know how it went after the first game, but about half way through the first I wasn't loving the gun play. I was a huge gears of war player on 360 and figured if this was similar (3rd person shooter with cover mechanics) then I might love it. I'll still give it a shot this weekend since it's free and all, but I'm also still stuck on blops 3 so who knows.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Uncharted multiplayer is really boring and exists only to try and persuade everyone away from trading the game in 1 week after release when everyone has played the campaign

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I am the one moron who loves Uncharted multiplayer. I didn't buy the ps4 collections since they lacked 2 & 3's multiplayer. I will be on the beta this weekend and I will be on it again when I beat the single player in April.

Uncharted's multiplayer is significantly different from Gears of Wars mostly because your characters can scale walls and are way faster but also because it's only sixty or fifty percent about shooting and more about using items at the right time and being able to traverse the level to flank the enemy best.

In Uncharted 2 the multiplayer was more shooting focused but with U3 they brought in a lot of power ups and timed events within a match to even up score gaps. U3 also added a horde mode which they called "coop objective". They also brought back the "coop adventure" from U2 which is just these three player missions taken from old single player maps with a silly noncanonical little story thrown in.

Last of Us had no coop mode just two versus modes and whether U4 does or not has yet to be seen.

The closed beta only had two maps and team deathmatch. I'm sure that's what we'll see this weekend. I personally felt like U4 beta gun mechanics felt like a less wobbly TLoU, but what do I know, I aim with x and y axis inverted and sensitivity cranked up.

If you want someone to take a bullet for you this weekend my psn is the same as my sa, send me an invite.

vvv The December beta was about 8.5 gb. I have no idea what this one will be. They patched it like three times during the beta too. vvv

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 1, 2016

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Takoluka posted:

He left and took the PS TV with him. :(

The PSP store too.

come back

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
How big of a download is the UC4 beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SamuraiPaul posted:

I am the one moron who loves Uncharted multiplayer.

I'm the other moron that loves UC multiplayer.

From my brief time with Gears multi (somewhat brief) I think the major departures is that UC offers more tools while moving. The series has a kind of incredible run and gun autoaim. You can do so much work while firing on the run or blind firing because the game gives you a super generous cone of aim while moving. So you're kind of encouraged to close distance and use a mix of gunfire and melee (or in UC3 and UC4 special abilities).

UC4 adds a grappling hook which is slight disappointing only that it's limited to certain gaps instead of allowing more freedom to swing away almost anywhere. I think the multi could really transform if you could add a lot of unexpected z-axis in there especially since the grapple supports melee too.

The other nice factor is the high time to kill which UC shares with Gears which really promotes team work and crazy escapes from death. It leads me to really enjoy street battles in UC3 and UC4 because they're prolonged and dynamic instead of being shotgun fests or twitch "see you first" things.

• Locked thread