Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zoe posted:

Wow what the gently caress is going on with the controls of the slingshot game at the fall fair. Are they awful and impossible or am I just really dumb and bad at games.

They're not impossible, but they're pretty awful, and you're better off doing the fishing minigame instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

DaveKap posted:

Yes and the line gets longer the more upgraded the can is. I was kinda disappointed by the iron upgrade to be honest. :(

Does iron only extend the range to 4 squares?

If that's the case, I might just leave the watering can at copper

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Want something that'll blow your mind?

Hold down left-click with the watering can equipped for a second or two.

It'll water in a three-tile straight line.

:aaa:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

inthesto posted:

5 squares at iron.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Want something that'll blow your mind?

Hold down left-click with the watering can equipped for a second or two.

It'll water in a three-tile straight line.

Yeah I discovered this watching somebody stream the game. Again, this is the type of poo poo the game should explain but never bothers to. I understand that there's supposed to be this air of discovery around everything but that shouldn't mean not bothering to tell you that you can save a shitload of time and effort by using a mechanic that's built into the game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Aw, I was hoping that the upgrades would start watering over a square area instead of longer lines.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SuicideSnowman posted:

Yeah I discovered this watching somebody stream the game. Again, this is the type of poo poo the game should explain but never bothers to. I understand that there's supposed to be this air of discovery around everything but that shouldn't mean not bothering to tell you that you can save a shitload of time and effort by using a mechanic that's built into the game.

If there's one deep flaw with this game, it's that it obviously assumes that you've not just played a Harvest Moon game before, but sunk a lot of hours in multiple ones

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Okay, so a dozen or so pages ago people were discussing relationship attrition- have we discovered if that's really a thing yet? I love the game but it's s major pain if I have to talk to the jackass townies every single day. :gonk:

The town being big, sprawling, and realistic is both a blessing and a curse. So many places to run....:pusheen:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 1, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

inthesto posted:

It's 5, which is still fairly convenient to just do 15 things in 3x5 rows.

Freakbox posted:

Okay, so a dozen or so pages ago people were discussing relationship attrition- have we discovered if that's really a thing yet? I love the game but it's s major pain if I have to talk to the jackass townies every single day. :gonk:

Might be, but you only get credit for talking to a villager once a week, resetting in sunday. So outside of the outlier assholes like... all the bachelors but football rear end in a top hat, actually, you probably will keep things going up incidentally.

And you can keep shoving the season-forage item into everyone's face, too. The entire town feasts heartily on blackberries.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd be curious if you even can get a dance at the first Flower Festival.

You need 4 hearts to get a dance accept ( and apparently all are bugged so if they are married to you it doesn't count as having enough hearts, they'll have the no thank you line! ).

Of the potential romances, only Haley has a birthday in Spring. Her favorites however are ungettable in Spring, so you can't? get her to 4 stars by the festival. I wonder if you brought her a Daffodil on her birthday if it'd be enough to boost her to 4 hearts.

Of the remaining romances, only Harvey ( Coffee ), Abigail ( Amethyst ), and Leah ( Salad ) have favorites you can actually get/make in Spring alone.

Since the Mines open on Friday, and gifts reset on Sunday, you should be able to get Abigail 2 Amethyst each week until the Festival, but you'd have to go to the Mines that Friday, and then gift her that Friday/Saturday. Getting the 8 Amethysts/Coffee/Salads should be doable even with the starting budget without hurting the farm too much, though you'd be losing out on personal growth. You'd also probably need to gift on the 22nd/23rd before the Festival to get that last heart.

That seems uh, fairly restrictive in a really odd way! At 2 favorites per heart, with the way favorites are set up, you are basically locked into Harvey/Abigail/Leah if you want to have a first dance. And you basically need to either get really lucky with your gifts to know what their favorites are, or be wiki crawling. And you need to realize to not gift Abigail until Fri/Sat on the first week to get those double Amethysts, AND to realize you need to gift on the 22nd/23rd before the Festival as well.

And I'm not even sure if that's actually enough, since a goon earlier in the thread said he was giving Leah salads every week and only had her at 3 hearts by the Festival. Unless maybe he didn't do double salads every single week.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Freakbox posted:

The town being big, sprawling, and realistic is both a blessing and a curse. So many places to run....:pusheen:

If there is attrition, then it's very slow to the point where it's not noticeable. You'll be fine; don't give bad/awful gifts and don't pull a Linus near people.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I don't think there is attrition but if you give someone a gift they don't like you can lose points.

Also I saw someone earlier in the thread asking for a picture of those little worm thingies you can hit with your hoe to get stuff out of the ground so I have made a gif.

hit these things!!! get crap stuff!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Broken Cog posted:

There probably is, I walked in on a scene in the clinic that pretty heavily seemed to imply something between Harvey and Maru.

I guess something happens after some time/if you see enough events.

The Glacierfish is probably the easiest of the four I've tried so far. The one off the eastern pier on the beach during the summer is absolutely impossible.

I actually came in thread to ask about that loving fish, how the poo poo do you catch it?

It's the one that has a little brain icon, it's just luck if you let go of the button as it starts to dive.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Don't fall over yourself to fix the bridge in the mountains, it just unlocks a surface level mining area for gems

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Post your farm!

Instructions here. I'm on a 2560x1440 monitor, so at 4x resolution I only needed two screenshots to piece this together.

Fall 9, Year 1. This season has been slower than I'd like, due to lack of money, but I've atleast have all of my currently planned plots filled at the moment, so the cashflow will come. It is completely covered by 18 mid-grade sprinklers, so I don't have to water anything at the moment. In the bottom right corner I've planted some regular trees for wood. Planning to use the top left corner for animals, so I figure I may as well let the grass continue to grow. My path between the two plots looks a little wonky because I'm not able to un-till a few squares that I messed up on.

Just reached the bottom of the cave.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

hopeandjoy posted:

Aw, I was hoping that the upgrades would start watering over a square area instead of longer lines.

They don't until gold (3x3) and Iridium (3x5) sadly.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Revol posted:

Post your farm!

:downs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The trailers for this look exactly like Harvest Moon. Does it do anything different? I enjoyed the games the first few times I played them but after that starting over again with a tool that only does one tile at a time gets real old.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 1, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Revol posted:

Post your farm!

:siren:Warning!:siren:Check the patch notes often! The scarecrows now only cover a 16x16 area (Quote from patch note: "Scarecrow range reduce to 8 tiles radius.") and you seem to have a bit that's outside that proximity!
Seems like aside from the fact the game is failing to tutorialize certain things (I had to watch a stream to figure out you could put water in your pet's dish, though I have no idea how much that helps) there are also changes to the game that you need to track per patch!

SynthOrange posted:

The trailers for this look exactly like Harvest Moon. Does it do anything different? I enjoyed the games the first few times I played them but after that starting over again with a tool that only does one tile at a time gets real old.
It's all the best things about Harvest Moon with some of the fun things about Rune Factory with a lot of the lovely things about each taken out. However, if you don't find fun to be had by using lovely tools and then upgrading them to be better tools and balancing out the expenditures to do so vs upgrading your house or adding animals or buying/making gifts for waifus to woo...... then you won't like this game which was created by a Harvest Moon/SNES-loving purist.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 1, 2016

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I need coal. What levels in the mine are best for coal farming?

Need.... Second.... Bee House....

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I need coal. What levels in the mine are best for coal farming?

Need.... Second.... Bee House....

Those bouncy black fuzz monsters (I think they spawn starting at floor 40 in the mines) drop coal pretty reliably

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have been ignoring Haley all spring.

Gave her 2 daffodils. She's at 1 heart, and everyone else is still at 0.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Goddamn, this fishing game. I don't know how people stand it. It's like it's not good enough for the green bar to be touching the fish, you have to have the whole fish touching it, and the progress bar depletes stupidly fast. :argh:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ran into the loving T10 fishing crash. Apparently ConcernedApe hadn't heard about it before I tweeted him. Also sent in an official bug report. Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next build

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat IT.

Just got around to looking up what a recycler does. All this time I've been putting all my trash in the trash. :negative:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spaced God posted:

Ran into the loving T10 fishing crash. Apparently ConcernedApe hadn't heard about it before I tweeted him. Also sent in an official bug report. Hopefully it'll be fixed in the next build

This must be whats happening to me. I thought maybe it was because I was upgrading my watering can but it must be this.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Seriously gently caress THIS GAME .... I LOST TWO FRIGGING DAYS PLAYING THIS its too addictive.

Just got to Fall I want cows and a greenhouse so frigging bad.

Quick question if I upgrade my watercan do I get the ability to water several tiles at once? (Like in harvest moon 64)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

VoLaTiLe posted:

Seriously gently caress THIS GAME .... I LOST TWO FRIGGING DAYS PLAYING THIS its too addictive.

Just got to Fall I want cows and a greenhouse so frigging bad.

Quick question if I upgrade my watercan do I get the ability to water several tiles at once? (Like in harvest moon 64)

You can click-hold for a line at copper and iron, at gold you get 3x3.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

From tree chat earlier, I did some research to figure out the IDEAL tree planting scenario because I'm crazy

Gif is a link to an album with explanations.

Plant your trees as such:
code:
X X X X

X X X X

X X X X
Starting against the cliff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Harmburger posted:

From tree chat earlier, I did some research to figure out the IDEAL tree planting scenario because I'm crazy

Gif is a link to an album with explanations.

Plant your trees as such:
code:
X X X X

X X X X

X X X X
Starting against the cliff.

Here is my tree planting layout

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Is there some way to light up the inside of your house that I'm missing? It looks weird wandering around in the dark but I've yet to see a lamp or anything like that.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Can you post a picture of the final optimal solution?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Is there any way to buy clay? I'm 3 short for the silo and the worms have all started giving me copper ore instead of clay... and a book once as well :psyduck:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Is there some way to light up the inside of your house that I'm missing? It looks weird wandering around in the dark but I've yet to see a lamp or anything like that.

Light your fireplace.

e: For clay just till some land, it will sometimes give clay.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Icedude posted:

Is there any way to buy clay? I'm 3 short for the silo and the worms have all started giving me copper ore instead of clay... and a book once as well :psyduck:

It doesn't have to be on worms, you can till anywhere tillable and sometimes you turn up a little clay. Just go nuts on your farm dirt or something.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ah, that makes things easier. Thanks.

Also just got the scene in Pierre's shop with the JojaMart guy. Is there a side quest to throw a brick through that rear end in a top hat's window?

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

Chakan posted:

Light your fireplace.

e: For clay just till some land, it will sometimes give clay.

Is that the only light source? Leaves the rest of the interior dim

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Those weird sandy pits in the Mine give a lot of clay when you hoe them, along with lots of other items, including lost books. I know this for sure worked this way 1-40, and I haven't gone much deeper yet though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I got tired of bouncing around the wiki.

:frogsiren: Villager Gifting Guide

I didn't include each and every single thing villagers dislike. It's only included on the list as a dislike if it conflicts with a universal love/like.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Met posted:

I got tired of bouncing around the wiki.

:frogsiren: Villager Gifting Guide

I love you. Put this in the OP