Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I thought Vegapunk's beams were from reverse-engineering how Kizaru's beams worked?

I also remember this, I think I saw it in the anime. Anyway Franky needed the Vegapunk research because he did all that work turning Kuma in to an android, I never really thought it was weapons research, just ways to improve weapons he already has or inspire new ones (except the nipple beam I guess, or was that a fever dream?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

Shirahoshi supposedly being a superweapon was made a bit silly by rayleigh swimming through the ocean knocking all the sea kings out imo

Kinda yeah but then again he was first mate to the world's best pirate.
And probably most definitely knows some real rear end secrets.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I don't mind Rayleigh knocking out random sea kings any more than Shanks knocking out random pirates or Luffy knocking out random Amazons. Being in control of the strongest of sea kings, New World crew members, and Amazons still probably counts for quite a lot to their leaders.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Also sea kings come in all kinds of sizes, the ones Shirahoshi called were loving massive.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I believe the calm belt is just where they have their nests or whatever so all the giant rear end sea kings the story runs across when they go to the calm belt are just babies.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Luffy still managed to punch out a Sea King setting out from Foosha (Fuschia?) Village as a babby newbie.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I kinda wonder how most of the Supernovas fared for the two year time skip given the New World should really have put them through the wringer.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Pureauthor posted:

I kinda wonder how most of the Supernovas fared for the two year time skip given the New World should really have put them through the wringer.

Kidd, Scratchman and Hawkins seem to be fine
Law became a Shichibukai
Marlon Brando works for Big Mam
Drake works for Kaido
Luffy is killing it
Urouge seems to be fine.

The only one we don't really know about is Bonney

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

dazoner posted:

Law became a Shichibukai
Drake works for Kaido
Luffy is killing it
Urouge seems to be fine.

I dunno, Kidd, Apoo, and Hawkins seem to be in a direct course for a Bad Time after running into Kaidou.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

dazoner posted:

Law became a Shichibukai
Drake works for Kaido
Luffy is killing it
Urouge seems to be fine.

I meant more of 'What sort of poo poo did they run into that forced them to git gud the same way the Strawhats had to.'

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Pureauthor posted:

I meant more of 'What sort of poo poo did they run into that forced them to git gud the same way the Strawhats had to.'

Honestly the only thing I wonder about from that is how did they avoid Hody Jones

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

dazoner posted:

Law became a Shichibukai
Drake works for Kaido
Luffy is killing it
Urouge seems to be fine.

IIRC, we saw Bonney in disguise right after Dolflamingo got defeated. She shrunk herself to kid-sized in what I'm assuming was some attempt to escape from the Marines.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I dunno, Kidd, Apoo, and Hawkins seem to be in a direct course for a Bad Time after running into Kaidou.

"Okay guys, whats our plan for killing Shanks, the guy who is sworn enemies with Kaido"
"I have no idea"
*Kaido falls in front of their faces*
"I have an idea"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

whoever made this god bless. Godbless Baby Leo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Luffy still managed to punch out a Sea King setting out from Foosha (Fuschia?) Village as a babby newbie.

That wasn't a Sea King, that was a really big eel. Actual Sea Kings are way, way bigger, like Laboon sized and up, and hang out in the Calm Belt.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That wasn't a Sea King, that was a really big eel. Actual Sea Kings are way, way bigger, like Laboon sized and up, and hang out in the Calm Belt.

Nah "Lord of the Coast" is a "small Sea King"

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
It was like the local king of the small rural lovely weak part of the sea around that random peaceful village in East Blue.

Like the King of Luxemburg in a world where there are thousands of Kings of England.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Space-Bird posted:

whoever made this god bless. Godbless Baby Leo.

Leo for Sanji in the Live Action Hollywood adaptation of One Piece.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dazoner posted:

Honestly the only thing I wonder about from that is how did they avoid Hody Jones

Hody didn't start his poo poo until a year before the Straw Hats reappeared. He was probably still in Neptune's army when the rest of the Supernovas went through.

Hody was also kind of an idiot and suicidally overconfident. If he had tried kidnapping people from the Supernova group, he'd have eventually run into Blackbeard and gotten loving destroyed. If Whitebeard had survived Marineford, he'd likely have intervened at some point and pushed his poo poo in. If he had been successful and had taken over the island, Big Mom would have likely done the same because to ignore it would mean no more Fishman candy and, well, whose this shithead think he is stealing her territory? I can't picture a scenario where Hody is really successful for more than a few days before he gets completely crushed by one of the major powers.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe they just naturally levelled up over the two years in the New World, or were stronger than Luffy/the other SHs pre-timeskip and therefore had a smoother difficulty curve to ride? Kidd in particular seemed like he was handling poo poo pretty well at Sabaody.

It's actually kinda hard to gauge how much of a step up the New World is, given Dressrosa is the only actual island (Punk Hazard and Zou being unlogged) we've been on since the timeskip.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Isn't Kidd missing an arm now and using his power to work a magnetic replacement?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

https://twitter.com/hatmaker32/status/704682702419550209

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Somehow I'm more surprised by remixed Yann Tiersen than I am by dancing Sanji.

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It just occurred to me that for not being able to swim being the only weakness of a devil fruit, it's only been a plot device with Buggy being mad and Luffy vs Arlong.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Somehow I'm more surprised by remixed Yann Tiersen than I am by dancing Sanji.

What is the original song?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JohnnyCocksville posted:

It just occurred to me that for not being able to swim being the only weakness of a devil fruit, it's only been a plot device with Buggy being mad and Luffy vs Arlong.

The end of Don Kreig versus Luffy.
The entire reason Luffy needed help during the Fishman Island arc.

But yeah, it's most a gag that serves to highlight the hijinks of the crew.

I loved the gag with Chopper and Brook both jumping into the ocean to save a drowning Luffy.

JohnnyCocksville
Feb 1, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You said it better than I could; it's more of a gag set up than something used in fights.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

What is the original song?

It's from the Amélie soundtrack. "J'y suis jamais allé"

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That movie was fantastic :allears:

It's such a shame that the third one was so abysmal. Felt like a loving war crime after all that build up with no delivery

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The end of Don Kreig versus Luffy.
The entire reason Luffy needed help during the Fishman Island arc.

But yeah, it's most a gag that serves to highlight the hijinks of the crew.

I loved the gag with Chopper and Brook both jumping into the ocean to save a drowning Luffy.

It also came up with Monster Chopper at Enies Lobby.

In general, though, Seastone is used to defeat/restrain Devil Fruit users a lot more than actual water is.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Silver2195 posted:

It also came up with Monster Chopper at Enies Lobby.

In general, though, Seastone is used to defeat/restrain Devil Fruit users a lot more than actual water is.
e: wrong thread

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Windmill

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kild posted:

All the places with Poneglyphs seem to be unallied with the World Government/Nobles. Even Alabasta while a part of the World Government had their King decline becoming a World Noble. And Fishman Island only recently joining them.

I wasn't under the impression that Ohara was independent. But then, it was a secret.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

To be fair Luffy was a grand-line tier captain all throughout the East Blue arcs. Hos enemies only put up a fight cause luffy kept getting thrown in cages, water hazards, logias and hypnotism.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sub Harrison posted:

To be fair Luffy was a grand-line tier captain all throughout the East Blue arcs. Hos enemies only put up a fight cause luffy kept getting thrown in cages, water hazards, logias and hypnotism.

Yeah it wasn't until basically CP9 that anyone was able to clearly outclass Luffy in both speed and power. And then he just did a wacky power up and beat the poo poo out of everyone anyway.

I kind of wish that things were still basically that way. I don't mind there being stronger and faster people but I don't like how there was such a distinct and universal divide between New World crew and Grand Line crew during the Summit War. Like some random jobber on Whitebeard's crew is stronger than the strongest captains from the Grand Line just because they need to be or whatever.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I think that makes sense, actually. From what we've seen in the New World you need to adapt to the Yonkou's game to survive. Capone was a top-tier captain who's now, for all intents and purposes, a random mook on Big Mom's crew.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah it wasn't until basically CP9 that anyone was able to clearly outclass Luffy in both speed and power. And then he just did a wacky power up and beat the poo poo out of everyone anyway.

I kind of wish that things were still basically that way. I don't mind there being stronger and faster people but I don't like how there was such a distinct and universal divide between New World crew and Grand Line crew during the Summit War. Like some random jobber on Whitebeard's crew is stronger than the strongest captains from the Grand Line just because they need to be or whatever.

I've never been big into shonen fighting tiers, but it's nice that Luffy started out stomping everyone, and by The New World he's on par or outclassed, instead of starting out outclassed, and constantly running against glass ceilings to shatter. That'd get tiresome. I think Oda did a good job sort of reversing the normal pattern.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Luffy sums up One Piece pretty well when he says that being Pirate King is about being the most free, not necessarily the strongest. The focus is on the adventure with friends, rather than getting stronger with friends. The later is still important but not really the point, so the narrative is more free as well.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Luffy sums up One Piece pretty well when he says that being Pirate King is about being the most free, not necessarily the strongest. The focus is on the adventure with friends, rather than getting stronger with friends. The later is still important but not really the point, so the narrative is more free as well.

well except you have to be insanely strong to be free. except strength in the one piece world is about will power not muscle. It's a very very Japanese outlook but also really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Space-Bird posted:

well except you have to be insanely strong to be free. except strength in the one piece world is about will power not muscle. It's a very very Japanese outlook but also really neat.

Yeah being strong is definitely important and definitely like you describe it. I think one of the best points that illustrates what I'm trying to say though is that training and improvement largely takes place off screen in this series, secondary to the actual adventure. Usually something like learning Haki would have it's own arc, but here that pretty much happened organically in the background until the time skip. I'm pretty sure all we had was a couple chapters of officially learning how it worked and that was that.