Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

StashAugustine posted:

I mostly got really unlucky with Treachery cards, got four that hurt exhausted/committed to quest people and could only block one so there goes Eowyn.

If I was looking to get into an LCG for when I don't feel like playing Netrunner, which of the competitive ones would people recommend, especially when it comes to playing online? I don't really have a huge preference between them.

My recommendation is Conquest if you prefer 1v1 (I think it's the deepest of any of the LCGs, Netrunner included) and Thrones if you're looking to branch out into multiplayer.

alansmithee posted:

I really wish they would've picked up VTES; it would've even filled a niche they don't already have (multiplayer LCG).

FFG did actually acquire the rights to V:tES/Jyhad (rules but not universe) - unfortunately, they ultimately decided not to develop it further or do anything with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Deadly Salvage spoilers. Apparently should be out today:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Awesome, love those Devastators and Engineers. Having some strong support destruction options available is really going to take this game to the next level.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I've played about nine or so games of Conquest on OCTGN and it seems pretty great. I miss Netrunner's easy draw mechanics but the command struggle is still pretty interesting. Been playing a Worr deck that started off with the one Fetterkey posted a while back and then modified after an opponent pointed out Troop Transport is a thing that has been released since then. I hear Worr is pretty good for learning the game, are there any other obvious newbie decks; or things to look out for other than what Fetterkey wrote for cardgamedb?

(My second win was against someone who was polite but clearly frustrated at playing against Worr since he played against him a lot and usually lost; I'm like that's why I'm taking a quick break from Netrunner)

e: also I've seen some Worr decks are dropping Promotion since it clashes with Troop Transports. Is this actually a good idea?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 25, 2016

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

So I've played about nine or so games of Conquest on OCTGN and it seems pretty great. I miss Netrunner's easy draw mechanics but the command struggle is still pretty interesting. Been playing a Worr deck that started off with the one Fetterkey posted a while back and then modified after an opponent pointed out Troop Transport is a thing that has been released since then. I hear Worr is pretty good for learning the game, are there any other obvious newbie decks; or things to look out for other than what Fetterkey wrote for cardgamedb?

(My second win was against someone who was polite but clearly frustrated at playing against Worr since he played against him a lot and usually lost; I'm like that's why I'm taking a quick break from Netrunner)

e: also I've seen some Worr decks are dropping Promotion since it clashes with Troop Transports. Is this actually a good idea?

Space Marines are always new player friendly. Cato probably a bit more-so, but either one is good.

As for Promotion and Troop Transport, I guess it's a matter of taste? I'd throw them both in and see how often they actually conflict.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't see them conflict much. Which one to use depends on the board state. If you are hurting for command, promotion. If you are hurting for units, troop transport. Rarely do they step on each others toes.

Maybe emphasize one over the other if you include ammo depot, but even then you can use the promotions as shields if they are clogging up your hand.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Okay, let me check if this correct. A player has, say, 5 units on his HQ. He sends them to the third planet, where there's nothing. Warlord eventually retreats back to HQ, everything else remains there and will be ready and not exhausted from then on, correct?

My friends love Conquest and are already deckbuilding, yet they refuse to fight for the first planet unless it's the one they need to win, they just take turns letting the other player get the planet compeltely for free while deploying everything at the planet either of them will eventually need to win and it's so :psyduck:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Azran posted:

Okay, let me check if this correct. A player has, say, 5 units on his HQ. He sends them to the third planet, where there's nothing. Warlord eventually retreats back to HQ, everything else remains there and will be ready and not exhausted from then on, correct?

My friends love Conquest and are already deckbuilding, yet they refuse to fight for the first planet unless it's the one they need to win, they just take turns letting the other player get the planet compeltely for free while deploying everything at the planet either of them will eventually need to win and it's so :psyduck:

what the gently caress

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Fetterkey posted:

The Codex kickstarter has been progressing well and just hit the stretch goals where the Deluxe set includes the white and purple factions, for those who were speculating about this earlier.
Hi, I'm a Codex proofreader, ask me anything.
(sorry I wasn't aware of this thread earlier)

Also, if anybody wants to play Codex in Palo Alto on Saturday, let me know ASAP.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Oh hey, I think I just played you! I would not drop Promotion but rather field both Promotion and Troop Transport simultaneously.

Xom posted:

Also, if anybody wants to play Codex in Palo Alto on Saturday, let me know ASAP.

I'm potentially interested but I think there's a Conquest tournament I'm going to - is there a public meetup/event for Codex?

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
I'm interested in Codex but shipping to Singapore costs a bomb so );

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Fetterkey posted:

I'm potentially interested but I think there's a Conquest tournament I'm going to - is there a public meetup/event for Codex?
I meant that I'm willing to hang out on Saturday at the newly opened Game Kastle in Mountain View for anybody who wants to try Codex before crowdfunding ends. Well actually I'd also be happy to battle experienced players but it sounds like you're busy anyway. After the kickstarter hopefully we'll end up with a South Bay group AND an East Bay group so no one has to drive super far.

EDIT:

nyxnyxnyx posted:

I'm interested in Codex but shipping to Singapore costs a bomb so );
Maybe you can pitch in with these people?

Xom fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 26, 2016

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Xom posted:

I meant that I'm willing to hang out on Saturday at the newly opened Game Kastle in Mountain View for anybody who wants to try Codex before crowdfunding ends. Well actually I'd also be happy to battle experienced players but it sounds like you're busy anyway. After the kickstarter hopefully we'll end up with a South Bay group AND an East Bay group so no one has to drive super far.

EDIT:

Gotcha, yeah. Another time probably - but Codex is pretty sweet and I'd be happy to get some more games in sometime!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Xom posted:

How much depth and replayability is there in the game, and how much of it relies on having every card memorized? I'm interested but skeptical of my ability to get others to play if you have to have encyclopedic knowledge of the cardpool to compete.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Xom posted:

EDIT:

Yup I've seen that thread - it's still expensive ):

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

JoshTheStampede posted:

How much depth and replayability is there in the game, and how much of it relies on having every card memorized? I'm interested but skeptical of my ability to get others to play if you have to have encyclopedic knowledge of the cardpool to compete.
Red vs. Green by itself is supposed to be replayable forever, and I think it will be at least for me personally, given how I'm an outlier who wants to keep exploring Bashing vs. Finesse when my friends want to play the full 3-hero game.

You want to learn the combat tricks in the 10-card starting decks first, and you can do that by jamming a bunch of games. Just try stuff and don't analysis paralysis—it's better to play more games. Red and Green both have strong proactive gameplans that are good to start learning with. You don't need to know all the cards to compete. Codex is not full of cards that hard-counter each other. Managing tempo, number-of-cards-in-hand, and gold are what win you the game.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

I've found Codex extremely deep/replayable and not that memorization-focused. The dynamic deckbuilding mechanic lets you try a huge range of strategies (and adaptations/counter-strategies) during the game itself. Further, the fact that the game is asynchronous means that there's much less of the "get wrecked by nasty surprise card X that you didn't know existed", since your opponent doesn't have any tricks they can use on your turn to disrupt you. Those kind of effects tend to be the ones that most require memorization, and Codex doesn't have any at all - learning the cards is still good to get a sense of what stuff is out there, but it's less crucial than in games with lethal tricks.

In unrelated Conquest news, I won a small Store Championship today with Eldorath. The final was against Worr with turn one Forward Barracks and six out of seven planets being green, but I managed to pull through - a lot of people have been saying that Eldorath is no longer in the top tier, but I've found him to be very strong. That warlord ability is just so good!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fetterkey posted:

I've found Codex extremely deep/replayable and not that memorization-focused. The dynamic deckbuilding mechanic lets you try a huge range of strategies (and adaptations/counter-strategies) during the game itself. Further, the fact that the game is asynchronous means that there's much less of the "get wrecked by nasty surprise card X that you didn't know existed", since your opponent doesn't have any tricks they can use on your turn to disrupt you. Those kind of effects tend to be the ones that most require memorization, and Codex doesn't have any at all - learning the cards is still good to get a sense of what stuff is out there, but it's less crucial than in games with lethal tricks.

In unrelated Conquest news, I won a small Store Championship today with Eldorath. The final was against Worr with turn one Forward Barracks and six out of seven planets being green, but I managed to pull through - a lot of people have been saying that Eldorath is no longer in the top tier, but I've found him to be very strong. That warlord ability is just so good!

Having printed out the starter set of Finesse vs Bashing, Bashing seemed way too good with getting wrecking balls into action early. Their defenders are really strong and Finesse once it got rolling managed to have turns where I could maneuver around 2-3 of them, but by that point the cumulative damage from turns of wrecking balls, the hero picking off weenies while still sending a point of damage to my base. I dropped both games against worse players of card games because I simply couldn't get in enough damage and keep enough units on the board in the early game. Late game seemed even worse for me because his units were so much stronger than mine. Finesse seemed like it really needed some strong removal. I felt like it was the old days of L5R as my Scorpions ran enough tricks around the Crab to stop them from smashing me each turn while I hit them with honor loss until I won, except in this case I couldn't get hardly any damage in on his base and I ran out of cards quite a bit faster than he did.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Having printed out the starter set of Finesse vs Bashing, Bashing seemed way too good with getting wrecking balls into action early. Their defenders are really strong and Finesse once it got rolling managed to have turns where I could maneuver around 2-3 of them, but by that point the cumulative damage from turns of wrecking balls, the hero picking off weenies while still sending a point of damage to my base. I dropped both games against worse players of card games because I simply couldn't get in enough damage and keep enough units on the board in the early game. Late game seemed even worse for me because his units were so much stronger than mine. Finesse seemed like it really needed some strong removal. I felt like it was the old days of L5R as my Scorpions ran enough tricks around the Crab to stop them from smashing me each turn while I hit them with honor loss until I won, except in this case I couldn't get hardly any damage in on his base and I ran out of cards quite a bit faster than he did.

Hmm, I actually prefer the Finesse side of that matchup. Wrecking Ball is certainly a thing, but it can be hard to pressure the opponent with it without going down on cards a lot. If Bashing goes defensive and you're having trouble getting your maneuvers to matter, I find that teching Two-Step is very strong, as it lets your evasive and "surprise damage" units hit very hard, often enabling hero kills - and if you can kill their hero, Wrecking Balls can become liabilities.

You can also go for Leaping Lizard/Cloud Sprite (both of these units have colossal efficiency and compete well with Bashing's options), but if the opponent is playing heavy on Wrecking Ball keeping your tech 2 in play may not be reliable.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fetterkey posted:

Hmm, I actually prefer the Finesse side of that matchup. Wrecking Ball is certainly a thing, but it can be hard to pressure the opponent with it without going down on cards a lot. If Bashing goes defensive and you're having trouble getting your maneuvers to matter, I find that teching Two-Step is very strong, as it lets your evasive and "surprise damage" units hit very hard, often enabling hero kills - and if you can kill their hero, Wrecking Balls can become liabilities.

You can also go for Leaping Lizard/Cloud Sprite (both of these units have colossal efficiency and compete well with Bashing's options), but if the opponent is playing heavy on Wrecking Ball keeping your tech 2 in play may not be reliable.

I didn't grab the full rules and I may have missed it in the starter rules, but casting a spell just requires you to have your hero in play and doesn't cause your hero to exhaust right? We were trying to figure out if there was any use of the Bashing hero's level 8 vigilance-esque ability.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

I didn't grab the full rules and I may have missed it in the starter rules, but casting a spell just requires you to have your hero in play and doesn't cause your hero to exhaust right? We were trying to figure out if there was any use of the Bashing hero's level 8 vigilance-esque ability.

Yes, casting spells requires you to have your hero in play and doesn't exhaust them. You can therefore stop your opponent from casting spells next turn by killing their relevant hero, since they can't immediately resummon it and any spells that require that hero will be dead in hand.

Troq's level 8 ability lets you attack and then still patrol afterwards, just like how vigilance creatures in Magic can attack and still be available as blockers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Fetterkey posted:

Yes, casting spells requires you to have your hero in play and doesn't exhaust them. You can therefore stop your opponent from casting spells next turn by killing their relevant hero, since they can't immediately resummon it and any spells that require that hero will be dead in hand.

Troq's level 8 ability lets you attack and then still patrol afterwards, just like how vigilance creatures in Magic can attack and still be available as blockers.

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere in the rules that Heroes can't be declared as patrollers, although we did forget the rule about heroes being unable to be resummoned for a turn. I can see the strategy now of keeping pressure on his hero and not letting him get the wrecking balls out of hand. I'll give that a try next time I play.

Since you're in the full game community, what is the deck building like in the full game? Are there more neturals available for your starting deck or only for tier 1+

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Hmm, I thought I read somewhere in the rules that Heroes can't be declared as patrollers, although we did forget the rule about heroes being unable to be resummoned for a turn. I can see the strategy now of keeping pressure on his hero and not letting him get the wrecking balls out of hand. I'll give that a try next time I play.

Since you're in the full game community, what is the deck building like in the full game? Are there more neturals available for your starting deck or only for tier 1+

Deckbuilding in the full game is "pick three heroes and one starter deck (starter deck must match the color of one of your heroes). Your codex contains all the cards from each of the heroes you picked. In addition, there's a minor economic penalty that you take if you have mixed colors (neutrals don't count as a color) - so if you have mono-blue or blue/blue/neutral there's no penalty, but if you have blue/blue/white or red/white/blue there is. IIRC, casting basic spells from a different color costs +1 gold and building your tech one costs +1 gold if you have mixed colors, but I might be wrong on the specifics of how that works.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Fetterkey posted:

Deckbuilding in the full game is "pick three heroes and one starter deck (starter deck must match the color of one of your heroes). Your codex contains all the cards from each of the heroes you picked. In addition, there's a minor economic penalty that you take if you have mixed colors (neutrals don't count as a color) - so if you have mono-blue or blue/blue/neutral there's no penalty, but if you have blue/blue/white or red/white/blue there is. IIRC, casting basic spells from a different color costs +1 gold and building your tech one costs +1 gold if you have mixed colors, but I might be wrong on the specifics of how that works.

How many different starters are there presently? 1 for each color +1 neutral? I think the variation on starting decks is one of the things that appeals to me. I always hoped that games like Dominion or Thunderstone had worked in alternate setups where you started with more interesting cards in your starting setup. I even do a houserule with Nightfall that has everyone drafting a card that everyone gets a copy of in their deck so that the meat of the game can start up faster. In Codex I would worry that some of the neutral starters might be overpowered if there's a large pool but I think Sirlin does a pretty good job balancing things over the course of the whole set so even if there is one that's perhaps a little more obvious in terms of strength there will be others with a stronger bias against it.

Also how effective have you found the Dancer token generator spell? I was trying in both games to get that to work, first game I had success with my Hero's Ultimate but by that point it felt like a win more thing as I already had the game locked down. I guess maybe it's going to be more effective in the full game when you have more 0 cast spells that they can combo with.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 29, 2016

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

How many different starters are there presently? 1 for each color +1 neutral? I think the variation on starting decks is one of the things that appeals to me. I always hoped that games like Dominion or Thunderstone had worked in alternate setups where you started with more interesting cards in your starting setup. I even do a houserule with Nightfall that has everyone drafting a card that everyone gets a copy of in their deck so that the meat of the game can start up faster. In Codex I would worry that some of the neutral starters might be overpowered if there's a large pool but I think Sirlin does a pretty good job balancing things over the course of the whole set so even if there is one that's perhaps a little more obvious in terms of strength there will be others with a stronger bias against it.

Also how effective have you found the Dancer token generator spell? I was trying in both games to get that to work, first game I had success with my Hero's Ultimate but by that point it felt like a win more thing as I already had the game locked down. I guess maybe it's going to be more effective in the full game when you have more 0 cast spells that they can combo with.

Yeah, one for each color plus one neutral starter.

I don't like the Dancer token generation spell very much, but I've definitely seen it do great work before. I like to play a more flexible/adaptive game in Codex so things that require me to commit to a certain strategy (lots of spells) aren't that appealing to me.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Is there a jinteki.net for LotR LCG yet?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

djfooboo posted:

Is there a jinteki.net for LotR LCG yet?

The OCTGN implementation is pretty good. Not what you asked for, I know. I don't think there is any alternative available atm.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Some cards are so amazingly on the nose. :allears:

Also the undead faction has Crypt Crawlers, Abominations and even a Death & Decay spell. This is amazing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Does Codex actually have a theme or is it just a mish-mash of (pop) culture references?

edit: don't mean it as a criticism, just curious.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Are you saying it's on the nose because it's a reference to LGBT or because it's an exact mechanical copy of MTG's Standard Bearer? Or both?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Azran posted:

Also the undead faction has Crypt Crawlers, Abominations and even a Death & Decay spell. This is amazing.

You just wait until you read up on the Protoss.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Because of the LGBT reference, mostly. The article I pulled the card from has like two or three more references about persecution. I don't know a lot of Magic stuff since I barely played it :v:

Lichtenstein posted:

You just wait until you read up on the Protoss.

Holy shiiiit

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/codex-future-spec

Reavers, Void Rays and literal Protoss soldiers.

I really want this game to be good now.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I dunno, I think it's fairly lazy design. References stop being cool when they're so abundant. And the fact that they're copying an MTG card word for word sits wrong with me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I totally agree with you, I just dig the Protoss aesthetic and it's really easy to sell a game to my group of friends if it's lol random monkeycheese

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's not just references when it's that blatantly ripped.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zephro posted:

Does Codex actually have a theme or is it just a mish-mash of (pop) culture references?

edit: don't mean it as a criticism, just curious.

Its a complete mishmash and that's a huge turnoff to me.

Okay my werewolf pirate captain attacks your jaina stormborne warcraft knockoff and then my care bears attack your gundam.

:rolleyes:

Azran posted:

Holy shiiiit

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/codex-future-spec

Reavers, Void Rays and literal Protoss soldiers.

I really want this game to be good now.

Wow, not just the names but the concept art and designs are full on blizzard knockoffs. Very classy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

don't give david sirlin money.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

He even called the Reaver the same loving thing. Are you serious.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

S.J. posted:

He even called the Reaver the same loving thing. Are you serious.

are you really surprised that maker of such notable games as

dominion ripoff
chess ripoff
texas hold em ripoff

doesn't have an original idea in his useless egotistical loving brain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Deviant posted:

are you really surprised that maker of such notable games as

dominion ripoff
chess ripoff
texas hold em ripoff

doesn't have an original idea in his loving body?

eh, i like yomi and puzzle strike, i'm not worried about the mechanical rip-offs