Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snak posted:

Especially because Fury Road makes Return of the King look like Attack of the Clones.

Geez guy, if you just wanted to start a bunch of fights you could go post about voting for Trump or something, this is just plain unwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Snak posted:

Especially because Fury Road makes Return of the King look like Attack of the Clones.

DeimosRising posted:

Geez guy, if you just wanted to start a bunch of fights you could go post about voting for Trump or something, this is just plain unwise

Looking to die historic in the fury thread?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I legit did not think I was making a controversial statement. RotK is an okay film, and it has great effects and costumes and all that, but Fury Road has a sense of economy in the way that everything serves a purpose in telling the story and creating the visual spectacle that I didn't think anyone would claim RotK has.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

I legit did not think I was making a controversial statement. RotK is an okay film, and it has great effects and costumes and all that, but Fury Road has a sense of economy in the way that everything serves a purpose in telling the story and creating the visual spectacle that I didn't think anyone would claim RotK has.

The controversial part, at least in CineD, is the implication that Return of the King is better than Attack of the Clones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was sick the other day and puked something better than Attack of the Clones.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

congrats

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Now that there's lots of talk online because Fury Road won those six Oscars, it's slightly disconcerting how many people are coming out of the woodwork saying they didn't like it because "it didn't make any sense" or something to that effect. I always thought those people were basically strawmen and that nobody actually thinks that way, but apparently they do? Christ.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those people probably watch Cinema Sins. And it makes total sense that Oscar wins would have the Christopher Nolan backlash effect on a movie that was previously well-liked.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Fury Road, a masterpiece, wins a bunch of technical awards

The Revenant, a technically impressive film, wins best director

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 29, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

Those people probably watch Cinema Sins. And it makes total sense that Oscar wins would have the Christopher Nolan backlash effect on a movie that was previously well-liked.
We're all in agreement that Cinema Sins is obnoxious garbage, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

God, I hope so.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's the worst loving non-engagement with a film

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Honest Trailers is a little nit-picky at times, but at least it's funny about it and pretty self-aware. Cinema Sins on the other hand always feels aggressively obtuse and mean-spirited, and often misses "the point" a movie is trying to make.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
And usually half or more of the sins they list aren't actually problems if given two seconds of thought.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Snowman_McK posted:

It's the worst loving non-engagement with a film

Lurdiak posted:

God, I hope so.

Xenomrph posted:

Honest Trailers is a little nit-picky at times, but at least it's funny about it and pretty self-aware. Cinema Sins on the other hand always feels aggressively obtuse and mean-spirited, and often misses "the point" a movie is trying to make.

TerminalSaint posted:

And usually half or more of the sins they list aren't actually problems if given two seconds of thought.

some good posters itt

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xenomrph posted:

Too much pedantry to be funny, too many cheap jokes to make any serious points, and too little interest in actually engaging with the film.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I love how Jenny Beavan didn't give two fucks about judgmental assholes while she went to accept her award in her incredible rhinestone leather jacket. :mediocre: old jerks in tuxes couldn't handle the costume designer Vuvalini talking about being kinder and not polluting the earth. She won in '87 and dressed "unconventionally" then as well (compared to this year it was downright conservative).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DeimosRising posted:

Perhaps it's an issue with HBO, since I didn't watch it in theatres, but I was very surprised this got sound editing and mixing awards. Unless those are chosen as arbitrarily as the big awards (I always figured the little technicals were a bit less so), the sound mixing in this was pretty bad. A lot of the dialogue was totally washed out by sound effects and the score, and the sound levels between the sound effects and score were really weird.

I know, I have the Blu-Ray edition and I've also watched the movie network and there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the two.

As for the score, Junkie XL might not make the most memorable scores, but his music is perfect for complementing high action.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I love how Jenny Beavan didn't give two fucks about judgmental assholes while she went to accept her award in her incredible rhinestone leather jacket. :mediocre: old jerks in tuxes couldn't handle the costume designer Vuvalini talking about being kinder and not polluting the earth. She won in '87 and dressed "unconventionally" then as well (compared to this year it was downright conservative).

Shoulda gone full warboy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Snak posted:

gently caress off. It makes Return of the King look like The Phantom Menace.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DeimosRising posted:

Perhaps it's an issue with HBO, since I didn't watch it in theatres, but I was very surprised this got sound editing and mixing awards. Unless those are chosen as arbitrarily as the big awards (I always figured the little technicals were a bit less so), the sound mixing in this was pretty bad. A lot of the dialogue was totally washed out by sound effects and the score, and the sound levels between the sound effects and score were really weird.

If you're not watching Mad Max with a Jesus home theater system on bluray (or Star Wars 7 in theaters) you're missing out.

Fury Road has some of the best audio work ever done for film outside of Star Wars movies (yes even the bad ones which were technical marvels at least as far as sound design).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Man I decided to watch the Cinema Sins video for Fury Road after seeing everyone talking about how bad they are and it was really bad

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Man I decided to watch the Cinema Sins video for Fury Road after seeing everyone talking about how bad they are and it was really bad

You fed their power.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Clear your youtube history.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know, I have the Blu-Ray edition and I've also watched the movie network and there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between the two.

As for the score, Junkie XL might not make the most memorable scores, but his music is perfect for complementing high action.

It was great seeing it win so many awards in a row just so we could hear Brothers in Arms every time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Every time someone mentions Cinema Sins, I am compelled to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYl2lpq1YI

Edit: Mixed them up with the other douchebags, Honest Trailers, whatever.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

It's like How It Should Have Ended. I want to see funny poo poo involving bad movies, especially those with anti-climatic endings, not your opinion on movies I actually like.

Actually happy that Fury Road won Best Costuming over Oscar tripe like The Danish Girl and wait, there was a live-action Cinderella movie?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Young Freud posted:

It's like How It Should Have Ended. I want to see funny poo poo involving bad movies, especially those with anti-climatic endings, not your opinion on movies I actually like.
The fact that Cinema Sins is poo poo to watch when they're ripping apart bad movies is testament to how crap it is.

quote:

Actually happy that Fury Road won Best Costuming over Oscar tripe like The Danish Girl and wait, there was a live-action Cinderella movie?
One that did surprisingly well critically and commercially.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress off. It makes Return of the King look like The Phantom Menace.

Originally I was going to say The Phantom Menace and I thought that was too harsh.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fact that Cinema Sins is poo poo to watch when they're ripping apart bad movies is testament to how crap it is.

Back when the format was about 4 minutes long and they criticized plot holes and major mistakes it was ok.

Now they do a 30+ minute format and the "sins" are stuff like "this hot babe isn't naked". It is painful to watch.

Just stick to RedLetterMedia and you'll be fine.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait cinema sins are longer than 2 minutes now? That does sound really bad.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Wait cinema sins are longer than 2 minutes now? That does sound really bad.

The one for Transformers 4 is 50 minutes and 100% joke-free.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's loving insane.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Here's the appropriate length of a Transformers 4 review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7olh2I0dN7w&t=1759s

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Reasonable Max: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p04QUDzBEaQ

It is good, watch it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Young Freud posted:

Remember when How It Should Have Ended was just stupid jokes like "hey let's take the Eagles to Mount Doom right now" or "hey why doesn't the Death Star just blow up Yavin and now the Rebels are completely hosed"? Actually HISHE was only funny whenever they had the superhero cafe featured.

Honest Trailers is great when they are self-aware, sort of like with their Fury Road review or with Die Hard

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

Remember when How It Should Have Ended was just stupid jokes like "hey let's take the Eagles to Mount Doom right now" or "hey why doesn't the Death Star just blow up Yavin and now the Rebels are completely hosed"? Actually HISHE was only funny whenever they had the superhero cafe featured.

Honest Trailers is great when they are self-aware, sort of like with their Fury Road review or with Die Hard

The best and really only good HISHE think I ever saw was Terminator: How It Should End.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For comparison, here's Honest Trailers' Fury Road video:

http://youtu.be/0RXhcqdewf0

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's kind of starting to grate on me when people say Max is hardly in the movie. He has plenty of screentime. It's more that there are several main characters instead of just one. I shudder to think of the alternate version of this film which has less Furiosa/Nux/ Wives scenes so Max can have more scenes in which he spells out the plot and backstory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Max probably has more screen time in Fury Road than in Mad Max.

• Locked thread