Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The brakes on my '00 GT are worn down to nubs. Before I hit Rock Auto for replacement pads and rotors are these worthwhile? http://www.steeda.com/cobra-style-mustang-front-brake-kit-555-6011/ ? I look at my stang next to my brother's BMW 135i and my front brakes are tinier than his rear ones so that's kind of embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Drilled and slotted rotors are not really good for the street as they tend to have more chances to break where the holes are due to stress fractures. The holes are designed to let heat escape under hard braking.
I personally would not get them. If you want to look "cool" slotted rotors are better in this case, but will still sustain the same type of stress fracture but less chances because you dont have holes drilled everywhere.

if you want some sweet 13" cobra brakes with plain rotors I would look at these, and they are much cheaper too. Unfortunately they don't make them with the horse logo or cobra logos anymore. they just say SVE.
https://lmr.com/products/94-04-Mustang-Brake-Kits-Upgrades
Now, unless your want to pay for looks, your stock 2 piston caliper 12" brakes will work just as well 8 piston 14" brake top of the line kit, unless that is, if you are racing!

Finally whatever you decide to do, seriously, don't go cheap on a brake upgrade. even if you do go ahead with slotted and drilled rotors get a reputable brand. dont buy "xtreme" branded rotors. buy something
like Brembo, Baer, Wilwood, or even Stoptech.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
He does autocross a lot, if you check his post history in this thread.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't *really* use the brakes much at autocross. 2nd gear revved up will engine brake with some gusto so I only need a quick stab once or twice. Mostly I just want fixed brakes and the brakes to not look so ridiculously small behind the wide-open five-star factory wheels. In before "just get some Bullit wheels with bigger spokes"

What I really need for autox is to pay attention to the suspension. It's 110k miles and never been touched, so it's like yachting on whitecaps on smooth pavement. Springs, dampers, bushings, and a strut tower brace are probably coming this summer if I don't sell the car first.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Bullitts won't hide your small rusty calipers :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have cross-drilled / slotted rotors, and they don't hurt, but they don't make as much of a difference as pads. EBC yellowstuff pads, though ... They're fantastic. I've put a couple hundred miles on them so far but am already way impressed over Greenstuff, which weren't adequate for repeated heavy braking, but were better than OEM.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Cobra brakes and Bullitt wheels look pretty nice by each other but I've never been more pissed off changing brake pads.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its so shiny. :fap: (filling in spoiler holes + repaint)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

thebigcow posted:

Cobra brakes and Bullitt wheels look pretty nice by each other but I've never been more pissed off changing brake pads.

cobra brakes and bullitt brakes are the same! just different logos on the calipers.

Tapet
Oct 17, 2010

Tide posted:

Even the 5.0 models? I figured they would be pretty rare; the most common being the Ecoboost 4 banger.

Sweden doesn't have any "Big engine" or "Big horsepower" tax. I'd wager it is the country in europe with the biggest displacement engines on average.

Also, a Mustang in Sweden is similar to a S-class Mercedes in that any one who got the means to buy one will not need to pay any attention what so ever to the gas mileage for economys sake. With those two things in mind, I'd say the only ones getting the EB in Sweden would be people who thinks that the EB is more tuner friendly. Can't do aftermarket forced induction and pass inspection here.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Took me 20 goddamned minutes at Pep Boys tearing through filter boxes to find the right size for the housing. Woke up the girl from her winter hibernation and got her on the road after oil/air filter change, and a wash, much to the chagrin of the local cops (the car is really loud, and they follow me everywhere looking for an excuse to pull me over).

gently caress you, 13" filter housing!

Back on the street!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

late for the new edge discussion

but new edge has aged better than og S-197 imo

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
yea, the 05 and 06 models where in an awkward puberty stage before the angles and shapes on the 15/16 model took off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kalvick posted:

yea, the 05 and 06 models where in an awkward puberty stage before the angles and shapes on the 15/16 model took off.

I'm biased, but I think the 2010-2011 (2012?) models were the best in that generation. I'm not a big fan of the rear-end refresh they did. The 2015+ models looks way better, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

PT6A posted:

I'm biased, but I think the 2010-2011 (2012?) models were the best in that generation. I'm not a big fan of the rear-end refresh they did. The 2015+ models looks way better, though.
10-12s definitely looked best. The 13-14 lights were strangely over-aggressive, though they still looked good.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

kalvick posted:

Finally whatever you decide to do, seriously, don't go cheap on a brake upgrade. even if you do go ahead with slotted and drilled rotors get a reputable brand. dont buy "xtreme" branded rotors. buy something
like Brembo, Baer, Wilwood, or even Stoptech.

What's wrong with StopTech?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

blk96gt posted:

What's wrong with StopTech?

Nothing, I would actually recommend them over WIlwood.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Buhbuhj posted:

Nothing, I would actually recommend them over WIlwood.

Nothing is wrong with them. I suggested four name brand options. Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking stoptech.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

There is something beautiful about the idle on a chilly morning:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=11j412p%3E&s=9#.VtMArRg3lUU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I want to hear that thing do a flyby. Nice sound!

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Cage posted:

I want to hear that thing do a flyby. Nice sound!

Believe it or not, none of my friends drive stick, so I've never even heard a flyby! Had the car for almost two years, now, too!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Count Freebasie posted:

Believe it or not, none of my friends drive stick, so I've never even heard a flyby! Had the car for almost two years, now, too!
Find an empty country road, find somewhere to put your camera on the side of the road. :D

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Brakes are on, probably the easiest brake job you will ever do.

Forgive the dirt I was in a bit of a rush to get things put back together. ilkhan was correct in his assessment that they can pull your eyes out of their sockets. Even on stock pads and all-seasons they are seriously impressive.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sorry you have to look at my crap driveway. Got my spoiler holes filled in and a new shaved bumper. Had to take the GT badge off for painting, I think I might leave it off.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

kalvick posted:

Nothing is wrong with them. I suggested four name brand options. Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking stoptech.

Ah ok! I was going to say, I've got them on my car and absolutely love them.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Cage posted:

Sorry you have to look at my crap driveway. Got my spoiler holes filled in and a new shaved bumper. Had to take the GT badge off for painting, I think I might leave it off.

Looks good! I'd put the GT badge back on though, looks naked.

Nice plate too!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Dinurth posted:

Looks good! I'd put the GT badge back on though, looks naked.

Agreed. Or take off the Ford badge to balance it out if you want to leave the GT badge off.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Agreed. Or take off the Ford badge to balance it out if you want to leave the GT badge off.

I was thinking this. Go all in, either way.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 29, 2016

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I drove my 2004 GT to the grocery store two weeks ago, and had a literal muscle douche in some Ed Hardy shirt or some poo poo tell me how I am being retarded for having a GT badge in the back, but the three-stripe pony badges in front of the doors, on the sides. I took the GT badge from the side away because the tricolor pony bar looks nicer with the horsey in it, but my main point here being is that some people feel very strongly about badges and it is very serious business.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

frozenphil posted:

Count Freebasie posted:

I was thinking this. Go all in, either way.
The only reason I didnt also take the ford badge off was because it was mounted differently and there are two holes in the fiberglass trunk that would've needed to be filled. When the guy told me I said don't worry about it since it would take more time. The GT badge was just adhesive.

Vahakyla posted:

I drove my 2004 GT to the grocery store two weeks ago, and had a literal muscle douche in some Ed Hardy shirt or some poo poo tell me how I am being retarded for having a GT badge in the back, but the three-stripe pony badges in front of the doors, on the sides. I took the GT badge from the side away because the tricolor pony bar looks nicer with the horsey in it, but my main point here being is that some people feel very strongly about badges and it is very serious business.
I thought all 2004s had the 40th anniversary badge on the fender instead of the GT. No?

edit: Looking at wikipedia, only special 40th anniversary editions had this badge. I guess a PO switched my fender badges too.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 29, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

but my main point here being is that some people feel very strongly about badges and it is very serious business.

Have you seen the Audi thread? :haw:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Cage sorry to be nosy about your business, but ballpark costs to do the bumper shave? how much time did it take?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

Cage sorry to be nosy about your business, but ballpark costs to do the bumper shave? how much time did it take?
Not literally shaved, I just bought a new bumper for $130. If its not a licensed ford product I dont think they're allowed to use the word "mustang" on it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QVTIR2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

The guy filled in the spoiler holes and repainted the entire trunk lid and bumper for $450.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nope. Am I missing much?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Vahakyla posted:

Nope. Am I missing much?

Hilarious maintenance issues

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

IOwnCalculus posted:

Badgegate happened in the "Post your ride" thread. Was there something else in the Audi thread?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

PT6A posted:

Same here. The rear end looks even worse now that raxiom has "back-ported" those tail lights to the older generation models. I swear that every third S195 I see has those drat things, and they just look so awkward and out of place.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Gently caress 16 year old plastic intake manifolds. That's all I have to say.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Krakkles posted:

Gently caress 16 year old plastic intake manifolds. That's all I have to say.

DONT BRING THAT UP!!!!! I missed the boat to get a replacements during the recall / notice that went out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Gently caress 16 year old

i was gettin really worried when i read up to this point

mustang bubbas like em young :pedo: