Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This whole thread is a trainwreck of rationalists and fascists trying to justify to each other that rationalism does not have anything to do with neoreaction:

rationalist posted:

[R]ationalists approach social interaction the same way most people do. In particular, you consider respectful engagement, and even admiration of ideas or thinkers you believe are wrong, as evidence that they’re considered in group. But that’s the opposite way rationalists approach things. Respect for, interaction with, finding common ground with, the out group is good. You don’t learn anything in an echo chamber. Engaging with people who vehemently disagree with you makes you learn a lot more. It’s also way more fun.

Wesley, pride interlocutor of the rationalists posted:

They don’t misunderstand your discourse norms at all. They just see them as a threat.

Fututor Magnus has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Feb 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
su3su2u1's blog is back on archive.org, for when the rationalists start claiming he was just an incredibly rude lying liar who lies now they think they've buried the receipts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr. Rationalist isn't being clear. Do you respectfully engage everyone, even those in the outgroup for you, or do you treat everyone like poo poo in order to defy the sheeple norms and Learn Something?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fututor Magnus posted:

This whole thread is a trainwreck of rationalists and fascists trying to justify to each other that rationalism does not have anything to do with neoreaction:

That's great! Does he have any links to the time rationalists have had debates with Marxists, fundamentalist Christians, and Hindu nationalists? It's great that they're so willing to talk to people who vehemently disagree with them.

:v:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's great! Does he have any links to the time rationalists have had debates with Marxists, fundamentalist Christians, and Hindu nationalists? It's great that they're so willing to talk to people who vehemently disagree with them.

:v:

Remember when they respectfully engaged and found common ground with MIRI critics?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nessus posted:

Mr. Rationalist isn't being clear. Do you respectfully engage everyone, even those in the outgroup for you, or do you treat everyone like poo poo in order to defy the sheeple norms and Learn Something?

It's almost as if you're suggesting that they overestimating the consistency of their beliefs, which is clearly impossible, as anyone who can speak the True Name of a Bias gains power over it, and the title "Rationalist".

Now, let me explain how angry white men are the true downtrodden "outgroup" of our society. They have so much to teach us, if we would but listen...

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Nessus posted:

Logical Rationalist: :smug: Hey normie! Have you thought about meta level Bayesian systems today?

Stupid Normie: :c00lbert: Shut up, nerd! "Decks rationalist's books, heads home, and proceeds to gently caress girlfriend."

Logical Rationalist: :qq: These normies are going to pay when I rule the object level world! "Picks up books, heads home, and preceeds to jack it to "Red Tidday up, White Tidday Down"."

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Phil Sandifer posted a 3000-word chunk of the book to his Tumblr. He also opened his inbox to asks on the topic, the answers including various rants on LW and MIRI - for that, just go to the Tumblr and look through the past ten or eleven pages, there's a fair bit of it, all a delight. "Neoreaction is a contemporary philosophy of right-wing extremism that is so wrong as to be pathologically fascinating."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Judging by his Tumblr, Sandifer seems like an interesting guy.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Robert Anton Wilson was a Christina Hoff Sommers fan, the post-rationalist embrace of him isn't TOTALLY out of nowhere.

I saw a book of hers in the Sociology section of Half Price yesterday. Got mad, bought it, and now it is destroyed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Have a random youtube comment from a pretty sad self-hating transwoman's channel that's apparently friends of a friend of a friend

quote:

blmonkey4 weeks ago (edited)
Awesome content Blaire! You have a good head on your shoulders being born with a female brain. I'm a MGTOW and suspect you're amassing a substantial MGTOW following. I compare my journey to completely strike against dating women born with a vagina to the novel Atlas Shrugged (Looters = family/criminal court system) and Moochers (women). Might I add I'd like to see some interaction with you and Karen Straughan (add her to your list!). I see you two are already 'connected' through Theryn.

:allears:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

How can you people waste time talking about childfrees and soosoos when super-cool rapist Roosh V is trying to figure out where the alt-right went wrong, and why it's all of a sudden full of white supremacists, some of which even are all "huh, this roosh guy is totally a rapist (and also highly un-white)".

In response, war was declared:
It's funny to see how each part of the right fringe tries to explain how they're the logical consequence of thinking through the other right fringe philosophies. Or: people arguing who is secretly ru[i/n]ning the world, women, Jews or blacks? Can't be all three.

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Feb 29, 2016

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cingulate posted:

Or: people arguing who is secretly ruining the world, women, Jews or blacks? Can't be all three.

Rashida Jones, mysterious overlord of the human civilization

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

Man I love Parks and Rec!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

fatherboxx posted:

Her will be done

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

divabot posted:

Phil Sandifer posted a 3000-word chunk of the book to his Tumblr. He also opened his inbox to asks on the topic, the answers including various rants on LW and MIRI - for that, just go to the Tumblr and look through the past ten or eleven pages, there's a fair bit of it, all a delight. "Neoreaction is a contemporary philosophy of right-wing extremism that is so wrong as to be pathologically fascinating."

I read through part of it, and I really liked how simply he deconstructs the numerous logical contradictions and edge lord shitlers that populate NRx forums. This may actually be a book about right wingers that I pay for.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Pope Guilty posted:

Judging by his Tumblr, Sandifer seems like an interesting guy.

You should see him when he gets serious.

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

Count Chocula posted:

Living with death and the fear of it is worse than never existing. Read Ernest Becker's The Denial of Death, but the whole philosophy can be summed up in one line from the Denial of Death.
By having a child you're creating a being that will suffer and be concious of it.

this book will change your life. it explains 90% of what people do. once you've read this book you see the stuff in it literally everywhere

edit: if you don't have time, you can just listen to this lecture by California Surfer Dude, one of the founders of Terror Management Theory, which is derived from becker's work. the video desyncs but you really only need the audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tkkmInXfOE

pelswick has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Mar 1, 2016

pelswick
Jul 29, 2006

i dont care about report card
I ONLY CARE ABOUT GUITAR

Woolie Wool posted:

I can't imagine an adaptive purpose for the immense, all-consuming terror of death that would lead to one supporting anti-natalism because one is afraid of dying. That's like Eliezer Yudkowsky levels of thanatophobia.

the all-consuming terror of death is an accidental negative side effect of our giant thinking brains. the way we get around it and find the strength to keep going to work and keep boning is because we believe in a bunch of fantasies that allow us to think we'll cheat death through some sort of literal (as in religions) or symbolic (such as being remembered for something important and good) form of immortality

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I don't need either of those though. I just don't consider my own death to be worth worrying about very much, especially as in my current health and at my current age it is exceedingly unlikely to happen anytime soon. These sorts of paranoid immortality and antinatalism fantasies get bandied about by people who have five, six, or even seven decades still left on the clock. Chill the gently caress out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

pelswick posted:

the all-consuming terror of death is an accidental negative side effect of our giant thinking brains. the way we get around it and find the strength to keep going to work and keep boning is because we believe in a bunch of fantasies that allow us to think we'll cheat death through some sort of literal (as in religions) or symbolic (such as being remembered for something important and good) form of immortality
Don't death-fear-shame me, forums poster pelswick

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

pelswick posted:

the all-consuming terror of death is an accidental negative side effect of our giant thinking brains...

most people don't have this. if you do, get help. that our time here is limited is unquestionable, but the assumption that ending is horrible and everyone fears it is false. cessation is enough for lots of people. no afterlife, no post-death remembrance, no nothing. antinatalist's protestations to the contrary don't make it so.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Yesterday I discovered the Gamergate phrase “ethics cvck” (spelt with a u, not a v). This is a term of censure for those who think it’s - ha! - about ethics in games journalism. They refuse to see how it’s actually about fighting the forces of SJW and might as well be SJWs themselves. Example. Oh how I laughed. It originated on 8Chan of course.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Peztopiary posted:

most people don't have this. if you do, get help
There is a very much alive and healthy branch of social psychology - Terror Management Theory - whose foundational assumption is that human behavior can largely be explained by, fundamentally, dealing with fear of death. (Since it's not my branch, this is about what I know of it though.)

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Mar 1, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Best part is seeing the google trends of the term steadily decreasing. It's not like it's irrelevant to say the new flat earthers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

Yesterday I discovered the Gamergate phrase “ethics cvck” (spelt with a u, not a v). This is a term of censure for those who think it’s - ha! - about ethics in games journalism. They refuse to see how it’s actually about fighting the forces of SJW and might as well be SJWs themselves. Example. Oh how I laughed. It originated on 8Chan of course.

Well at least they're not trying to hide it anymore.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How is gamergate still a thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How are Bronies still a thing? Sad nerds make an entire personality around *thing* and then never let it go.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

divabot posted:

Is this where they finally make genre fiction cliches come to life and forget why they're fighting this stupid war, reject being reminded of it, and simply fight just for the sake of fighting?

E: After years of aspiring to be JRPG villains, I guess they finally accomplished it, minus the powers that would actually make them a threat. :v:

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

How are Bronies still a thing? Sad nerds make an entire personality around *thing* and then never let it go.

Bronies actually like something though. It's about liking something very particular, while Gamergate is about hating nothing in particular/everything.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Mar 1, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I always wanted to buy this instead of just reading a bunch of blog posts, but he'll be finished with it somewhere around 2025.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Because we need more ethics in games journalism (and less ethnics in general).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This imaginary conflict between nerds and "normal people" doesn't actually exist though, because the internet Kulturkampf is a nerd civil war that non-nerds have no stake in. It's about the gatekeepers and arbiters of nerd culture having their authority threatened by other nerds, some of whom are not white males, and starting a huge stupid online war to defend their position. It's also IMO part of why NRx people are so obsessed with "tribe" and "ingroup" and Gamergate with "real gamers", because they want to deny that their opponents come from within nerd culture itself, which is something I didn't really understand at first. It's nerds fighting nerds over a bunch of nerdy stuff and here we are having a gigantic nerdy megathread mocking the opposing side.

But unlike Cingulate, I'm not going to spend 15 paragraphs equivocating over what if nerd fascists are actually right because they're just not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Because internet misogyny is still a thing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bronies are barely still a thing, and the ones that remain are fairly quiet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

This imaginary conflict between nerds and "normal people" doesn't actually exist though, because the internet Kulturkampf is a nerd civil war that non-nerds have no stake in.

As always it comes down to the narcissism of small differences.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

pelswick posted:

the all-consuming terror of death is an accidental negative side effect of our giant thinking brains

If you have this then you are a giant baby who needs to talk to a therapist.

OH NO, I'M GOING TO SLEEP FOREVER

quote:

There is a very much alive and healthy branch of social psychology - Terror Management Theory - whose foundational assumption is that human behavior can largely be explained by, fundamentally, dealing with fear of death. (Since it's not my branch, this is about what I know of it though.)

I feel like this is one of the most obvious cases of psychologists projecting their own issues onto other people since Freud.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It's entirely possible that they're achieving real results even if their theory is fallacious or incomplete, much like Freud probably did help a lot of people with his innovations of "Siddown and let's talk about this in a formal way while I bounce back some parts of it at you for reflection," even if it probably usually wasn't about penises.

And hell, maybe sometimes it is about penises the terror of death.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The cure for thanatophobia is to keep a plastic toy skull in every room of your house to desensitize yourself.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The cure for thanatophobia is to keep a plastic toy skull in every room of your house to desensitize yourself.

Unfortunately that induces an even worse disorder, Aurinomania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Unfortunately that induces an even worse disorder, Aurinomania.

Symptoms involve hair loss, inability to open lips wide enough to drink in the presence of alcohol, poor film production and white nationalism """on paper"""