Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Catfishenfuego posted:

The weirdest thing about District 9 is that it's a film about how Apartheid was bad where the only black people in it are evil criminal voodoo cannibals.

Saying it's about apartheid is implying that it's about issues that no longer exist in South Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She blows up a company ship. A company who deserves to burn.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

McDowell posted:

A good writer and director could do something with Macross - there has been a 'Robotech' movie in production forever.

My own dream project is a Gundam movie trilogy based on the original series. It's basically WWII with giant robots, it wouldn't even be hard to do right,

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm cool with Chappie, because it gave us this ridiculous Hans Zimmer chiptune dubstep tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJxh6LG9TEY

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Blomkamp gets backlash because (around the release of District 9) he was supposed to 'legitimize' nerd fiction.

The fact that he made an action-comedy satirizing Independence Day is perceived as a betrayal. Then he made a film satirizing Star Wars, and a film satirizing Short Circuit.... His films make fun of nerds incessantly, though most obviously with Jackman's character in Chappie.

Hence the nerd-media narrative around Alien 5.

I don't really remember Elysium very well. How was it about/like Star Wars?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

It features stuff like robot butlers, space samurai, a desert planet, abstract sci-fi religiosity, a death star designed by Syd Mead...

The film uses this vocabulary to mix up the themes of Star Wars, leading to an entirely different political outcome. In the most basic sense, Star Wars is about an unending cycle of (liberal) rebellion and eventual corruption, while Elysium is about a revolution.

Implicitly, then, Elysium serves as a criticism of Star Wars - saying Star Wars isn't radical enough. That Star Wars gets religion wrong.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 1, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MrMojok posted:

Space, and a big circular thing in orbit.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Baronjutter posted:

a big circular thing in orbit.

How is your mom?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

oldpainless posted:

How is your mom?

Not so well, lot of health issues. Thanks for asking.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

:(

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

well why not posted:

I'm cool with Chappie, because it gave us this ridiculous Hans Zimmer chiptune dubstep tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJxh6LG9TEY

I liked District 9 and never got around to seeing Chappie but this is loving awesome. Are there any other composers that have gone way outside their usual range? I feel like Zimmer is a bit played out sometimes but this totally renews my respect for him.

Also, the Aliens soundtrack is maligned? Ripley's Rescue and Futile escape are amazing and the perfect mix of nightmare, heroism, and action. I'm actually using this for a lesson in my music class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo9lUPeAAJs

And on the topic of James Horner quoting his own material. This one always stuck out to me like a sore thumb (quote starts at :35).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMW0H-_kRGo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

It features stuff like robot butlers, space samurai, a desert planet, abstract sci-fi religiosity, a death star designed by Syd Mead...

The film uses this vocabulary to mix up the themes of Star Wars, leading to an entirely different political outcome. In the most basic sense, Star Wars is about an unending cycle of (liberal) rebellion and eventual corruption, while Elysium is about a revolution.

Implicitly, then, Elysium serves as a criticism of Star Wars - saying Star Wars isn't radical enough. That Star Wars gets religion wrong.

Seems pretty far fetched, like saying Final Fantasy 12 is a remake of Star Wars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

zenguitarman posted:

I liked District 9 and never got around to seeing Chappie but this is loving awesome. Are there any other composers that have gone way outside their usual range? I feel like Zimmer is a bit played out sometimes but this totally renews my respect for him.

Also, the Aliens soundtrack is maligned? Ripley's Rescue and Futile escape are amazing and the perfect mix of nightmare, heroism, and action. I'm actually using this for a lesson in my music class.

And on the topic of James Horner quoting his own material. This one always stuck out to me like a sore thumb (quote starts at :35).

Zimmer's Black Hawk Down soundtrack was actually pretty impressively off his beaten path.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tenzarin posted:

Seems pretty far fetched, like saying Final Fantasy 12 is a remake of Star Wars.

What you believe to be the case is unimportant. The film has, objectively, the same themes and imagery.

I'm unfamiliar with that videogame, but it is certainly possible that it also resembles both the films in question. However, I think it's unlikely that it has the same 'used future' aesthetic, stripped-down mythological narrative, preoccupation with class war, etc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tenzarin posted:

But that what I like the most about FFXII! It's similar enough to Star Wars while still being a distinct story to be fun.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

zenguitarman posted:

Aliens soundtrack is maligned because it's a soundtrack cobbled together from soundtracks Horner already did. It was basically a temp soundtrack that got used in the final movie because of problems between him and Cameron.

As much as you'd like to not blame Horner for that, he did it time and time again. It's not like Zimmer or Silvestri, where an obviously recognizable style is used in multiple films, and some fill techniques and instrumens are reused; he literally cobbled together new scores from old scores, even when not pressed for time.

For instance, you said you loved Ripley's Rescue. That's nice, did you love the main section of it when it was in Wolfen?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGQ9zDKgjhc :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
All the talk of Horner's score reusage made me watch Wrath of Khan again and holy poo poo I still can't believe how good this movie is. It's loving awesome.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wrath of Khan and Aliens are two of the best scores ever, even though they are actually many scores in the same movie. It feels kinda dirty to like them but they are indelible parts of my childhood.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Tenzarin posted:

The Final Fantasy games have always openly referenced Star Wars. I'm not sure if you could have possibly chosen a worse series of games for that analogy.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hodgepodge posted:

The Final Fantasy games have always openly referenced Star Wars. I'm not sure if you could have possibly chosen a worse series of games for that analogy.

That doesn't make them a remake though which is the point.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Lady Naga posted:

That doesn't make them a remake though which is the point.

The analogy was "saying that Elysium is like Star Wars is like saying that FFXII is a remake of Star Wars."

If you want to hold him to his use of the word "remake" then his analogy is even worse. I was giving him the benefit of doubt that he isn't a complete idiot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

I was giving him the benefit of doubt that he isn't a complete idiot.

A dangerous mistake to make

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hodgepodge posted:

The analogy was "saying that Elysium is like Star Wars is like saying that FFXII is a remake of Star Wars."

If you want to hold him to his use of the word "remake" then his analogy is even worse. I was giving him the benefit of doubt that he isn't a complete idiot.

Uh the point is that calling something that references another material a lot a "remake" simply because they share a ton of similarities is incredibly facile. Like Final Fantasy is the perfect example because it certainly calls back to Star Wars a ton but nobody in their right mind would say it's a remake of Star Wars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Uh the point is that calling something that references another material a lot a "remake" simply because they share a ton of similarities is incredibly facile. Like Final Fantasy is the perfect example because it certainly calls back to Star Wars a ton but nobody in their right mind would say it's a remake of Star Wars.

Doesn't SMG think that The Watchmen is a remake of Jurassic Park for similar reasons? :wtc:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah, that would be facile. It's a good thing, then, that no one in this conversation but the person I was replying to has made that mistake.

Neo Rasa posted:

Doesn't SMG think that The Watchmen is a remake of Jurassic Park for similar reasons? :wtc:

Make that two people :argh:

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 3, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lady Naga posted:

I'd call Eragon a remake of Star Wars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, that would be facile. It's a good thing, then, that no one in this conversation but the person I was replying to has made that mistake.

Make that two people :argh:

Lost Highway is a great remake of Over the Top.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People will eventually realize that I wrote 'satire', and not 'remake'.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A post like this is what happens when the unchecked goon hyperbole of Jurassic Park critique goes too far.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think you've confused Elysium with Space Balls.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Remember, F. Scott Fitzgerald died thinking he would be forgotten.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The "F" stands for Forgotten!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I think you've confused Elysium with Space Balls.

That's a parody.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

That's a parody.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like your Zizek avatar.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You'd be hard pressed to find a sci-fi movie made after 1977 that isn't a remake of Star Wars Hidden Fortress.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

You'd be hard pressed to find a sci-fi movie made after 1977 that isn't a remake of Star Wars Hidden Fortress.

But that's just a theory...A film theory.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hodgepodge posted:

FF12 is amazing, its just the good version wasn't brought over here.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Tenzarin posted:

FF12 is amazing, its just the good version wasn't brought over here.

I meant "worse" as in "worse for the purposes of the point you were making."

Although FFXII desperately needs a Phantom Edit which removes Vaan and lets Matsuno do his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hodgepodge posted:

I meant "worse" as in "worse for the purposes of the point you were making."

Although FFXII desperately needs a Phantom Edit which removes Vaan and lets Matsuno do his thing.

Just pretend he is never there, he is in none of the important scenes.