Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Holy poo poo that is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Spedman posted:

Holy poo poo that is awesome.

You don't normally thing of things like launchpad cameras in shuttle launches but a ton of engineering and care were involved in setting all of that up. The specialty time codes in between the sprockets, the gas filled protective containers the cameras have to be set up in, keeping the tungsten lights from shattering in the units that store the umbilical apparatus. Even the custom aperture control to automatically expose for rockets. And the sheer number of cameras and feet of film involved in capturing everything.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

akadajet posted:

Even the custom aperture control to automatically expose for rockets.

the Ultimate Exposure Calculator is missing a section

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the only film developing i've done in three years is a few rolls of 4x5 a few weeks ago

it's gonna be a long night

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

atomicthumbs posted:

the only film developing i've done in three years is a few rolls of 4x5 a few weeks ago

it's gonna be a long night

Acros, drank
Foma, drank
Agitate, drank
Fixer, drank

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You would only need 5 system4 patterson tanks to do that all at once, if you stand developed.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

voodoorootbeer posted:

Acros, drank
Foma, drank
Agitate, drank
Fixer, drank

one cartridge, 36 shots

bang

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

When it comes to exposed c41 film that has been sitting around in a drawer for a decade or two... push a stop during development, or just work it as usual?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Putrid Grin posted:

When it comes to exposed c41 film that has been sitting around in a drawer for a decade or two... push a stop during development, or just work it as usual?

As usual I think. I recently had an exposed roll developed that had been sitting for 35 years. Came out fine.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

voodoorootbeer posted:

Acros, drank
Foma, drank
Agitate, drank
Fixer, drank

:perfect:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Have you been looking for expensive, pre-damaged, expired, colour negative 35mm film? You have?? Well Revlog have you covered

http://shop.revolog.net

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Wild EEPROM posted:

You would only need 5 system4 patterson tanks to do that all at once, if you stand developed.

did it in two 64-oz tanks, have two left over, was in darkroom until 3 am

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Spedman posted:

Have you been looking for expensive, pre-damaged, expired, colour negative 35mm film? You have?? Well Revlog have you covered

http://shop.revolog.net

I am also selling film that was stored next to reactor 4.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Can we play another round of What the Hell is Wrong with my Negatives?

There's this roughly (occasionally wavy) horizontal line through my entire roll of Tri-X 120. Shot with my RB67, dev in HC-110 1:47 for 6:30. What the hell is wrong with my negatives?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I think you've either not used enough dev accidentally, or the reel wasn't sitting at the bottom of the tank. Could also be not enough agitation.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Looks like not enough dev in the tank.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm going to be wet printing these, so the shots are just quick edits. Levels, curves, and no dusting.

Triptych by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

Triptych by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Spedman posted:

I think you've either not used enough dev accidentally, or the reel wasn't sitting at the bottom of the tank. Could also be not enough agitation.

ansel autisms posted:

Looks like not enough dev in the tank.

That's troubling because that's the one part of the dev for that roll that I thought was 100% ok. Tank needs 590 mL for a roll of 120 and I mixed up 600. Agitation was 5 sec every 30 after 1 min initial. I know my fixer is a little old but doesn't smell or look worse than usual. Developer concentrate is still normal yellow. Temperature is probably suspect because my thermometer has been sketchy lately. Could it be not enough fixer?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

voodoorootbeer posted:

That's troubling because that's the one part of the dev for that roll that I thought was 100% ok. Tank needs 590 mL for a roll of 120 and I mixed up 600. Agitation was 5 sec every 30 after 1 min initial. I know my fixer is a little old but doesn't smell or look worse than usual. Developer concentrate is still normal yellow. Temperature is probably suspect because my thermometer has been sketchy lately. Could it be not enough fixer?

Maybe if you didn't use enough of a volume of fixer, but the strength should be fine if it smells like fixer.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

someone dropped off some film for recycling

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

someone dropped off some film for recycling

The polaroid is probably dead, I bought a box of that stuff once just to see and it was all dried up.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Vericolor will be very crunchy looking but worth shooting.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

The Vericolor will be very crunchy looking but worth shooting.

Oops I think the example I posted was shot on vericolor III, my bad.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 6, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VPL is apparently tungsten-balanced. I wonder what the reciprocity failure curve looks like on film that expired 36 years ago

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

fractures by Alex, on Flickr

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
What's a goon-recommended shop to get color film cheaply developed?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Most everyone says Citizens Photo in Portland. I may hang on to the film I shoot over the summer and develop there when I'm in the area in September.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Can I put Natura 1600 through the X-Ray machine or do I need to have the TSA check it by hand?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Thoogsby posted:

Can I put Natura 1600 through the X-Ray machine or do I need to have the TSA check it by hand?

Get it hand checked just to be safe.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Thoogsby posted:

It'll be fine going through the carry on X-ray, but if it's not busy, you can always ask for a hand check.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Suicide Watch posted:

What's a goon-recommended shop to get color film cheaply developed?

Citizen's Photo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I bought a Fujica ST705 a couple of months ago and have shot three rolls of C41 so far. It dawned on me last night that I don't know if the shutter timing is accurate and I don't want to develop film until I've got a larger batch (don't want to waste chems). Is there an easy way to verify shutter timings? I could burn a roll of HP5 and develop it the same day, if that makes it any easier.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Film has such a large dynamic range that you won't really be able to tell if the shutter is off unless it's off by a large amount (2-3 stops). Anything smaller like 1/2 to 1 stop will be unnoticeable pretty much.

There are a couple phone apps that pretend to be shutter speed testers, but they are really inaccurate at anything higher than 1/250. Basically it uses the phone's microphone to record the sound of the shutter, then you look at the waveform and align two "end points" where the you see the shutter noise start and then stop. Then it tells you the speed.

If you are handy with electronics you can make your own that's super accurate. It is a rather simple circuit with a few resistors, capacitors, a phototransistor, and output to a 3.5mm audio jack. Plug it into your soundcard and record the "audio" it generates. Meanwhile shine a light through the lens (any small flashlight will do) and place the phototransistor in rear of the camera. Fire the shutter, and check out the recorded audio clip.

I think I used this schematic for mine - http://www.mraggett.co.uk/shuttertester/shuttertester.htm

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you for that, it looks simple enough. I wonder if anyone sells printed PCBs for this. Time to look around a little bit.
I just want to make sure that the thing isn't hugely off before I shoot another 10 rolls with it. :)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I made mine using point-to-point construction on a piece of cardboard

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This guy is selling some 35mm slide film really cheap locally but maybe you can convince him to ship it off to you.

EDIT: And gone.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 15, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought a 100ft roll of HP5+ 400 a few years ago, threw it in my loader, pulled maybe seven rolls and then promptly stopped using film. Pulled my gear out today. The film has been in a sealed plastic bag, in the loader, at room temperature for probably 3 years now. What are the odds that it's still usable? I'm not expecting much, but then again if a new roll is just $65 I'm perfectly fine popping that loader and using the old film to TP someone's house.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
It's fine. Film usually has an expiry date of 3-4 years so if you bought it fresh it's likely only approaching expiry now. And film expiry dates are very subjective to begin with.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Just use it. Try the first roll to check if you need to do any exposure compensation (you won't) and that's it. I'm running Tri-x that expired 3 years ago, kept in room temperature, and it works just like new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It will be fine.

I recently shoot a roll of HP5 and two rolls of FP4 which has expired about 30 years ago, and has been stored in hot attic for at least 5 years. The results were surprisingly usable:

000005 by Vidak, on Flickr

This is HP5, unsurprisingly FP4 has aged better. Gives me good hopes for two boxes of Pan F I have in freezer.

I'll post more pictures when I get home from work.