Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Vox Nihili posted:

The libertarian-Trump crossover crowd will never cease being hilarious.

Yeah what little ideology Trump has is the opposite of libertarian. Other than his yooge and apocalyptic tax breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Trump's ideology is the 20th Century Fox logo but it says Trump lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

it's a coping mechanism for people with low self-esteem

negative predictions/sentiment is easier to make because the shame of being wrong about something makes up for feeling like an idiot over being proven wrong

predicting a positive thing and then being wrong on top of not getting it is too much to bear

Youre dangerously close to a coherent explanation for the popularity of ironic detachment

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

and some, i assume, are good people

I think most of Trump's supporters are actually good people they're just pissed off and scared and the loud orange guy is giving them hope.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ben Garrison is a real political cartoonist

http://www.grrrgraphics.com/

This is the best, in hindsight:

Oh, his tears must be so sweet...

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

it's a coping mechanism for people with low self-esteem

negative predictions/sentiment is easier to make because the shame of being wrong about something makes up for feeling like an idiot over being proven wrong

predicting a positive thing and then being wrong on top of not getting it is too much to bear

I think you're right. I've also come to recognize it as a glaring persuasion tell, particularly for the style that plays to identity. http://paulgraham.com/identity.html is a good essay that speaks to some but not all of the phenomenon.

Montasque posted:

I think most of Trump's supporters are actually good people they're just pissed off and scared and the loud orange guy is giving them hope.

Speaking of tells, I've observed that projecting fear onto others is a 100% reliable indicator that the speaker is a leftist.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Montasque posted:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Majorian posted:

Oh, his tears must be so sweet...

He's in love with Trump, so... not so much.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah what little ideology Trump has is the opposite of libertarian. Other than his yooge and apocalyptic tax breaks.
Well and his hard on for government surveillance that rivals even Obama, but you know, the same goes for Rubio and Cruz.

Awwwwwwww

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I say if Brannock has a bunch of you melting down, he's doing something right.

Brannock!

*post*

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

Nah most are horrifyingly racist people.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Brannock!

*post*

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean they are scared because they are horribly racist so your partly correct.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Venom Snake posted:

Trump is an out of touch rich white dude who cares about nobody but himself

That sounds terrible, dude. Maybe we should vote for one of the Cubans or the lady.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well and his hard on for government surveillance that rivals even Obama, but you know, the same goes for Rubio and Cruz.

Awwwwwwww

Libertarians are anti-surveillance.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Brannock!

*post*

It's nice that this thread/forum has gotten big enough for drive-by white noise cheerleading to reemerge. Almost endearing.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

It's nice that this thread/forum has gotten big enough for drive-by white noise cheerleading to reemerge. Almost endearing.

White noise is the best noise am I right?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

This thread needs some Herman Cain:

https://twitter.com/FoxBusiness/status/703017962488238081

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The most perfect thing possible would be Cain as Trump's running mate.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Vox Nihili posted:

The libertarian-Trump crossover crowd will never cease being hilarious.

It is. Solipsism as ideology is antithetical to national unity. Such people are not woke.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

User posted:

Speaking of tells, I've observed that projecting fear onto others is a 100% reliable indicator that the speaker is a leftist.

nah you didn't have to be a leftist to see that people who distrusted government were really whipped up over ebola when that was a thing for example

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jewel Repetition posted:

Libertarians are anti-surveillance.
Trump's hard on for government surveillance that rivals even Obama, I mean.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
It's pretty funny that Trump is exactly what I'd expect from a dual class Highlander/Kraut billionaire.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

That's good!! I met some people who worked on LIGO and they gave me a NRAO pin, this is kind of like your story

that's a cooler version of my story yeah

reminded me of something else irrelevant

i grew up on the space coast; one of my classmates' parents worked on the first mars rover and they had us line up and stick out our feet and they had one of the test replicas they made run over our feet

i hope i get to go to space someday

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is the best, in hindsight:
i agree

also something i noticed about romney's favorables: if you zoom back to say 02/01/2012 on here
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/romney_favorableunfavorable-1134.html
you'll see that romney was double digits below water on favorables until june, when his favorables climbed way up and he started treading water, then in october his unfavorables dropped several points and he had his highest favorables of the whole year, and then he lost the presidency

no immediate point, but it's not the pattern i would have expected given hindsight

these comparisons may or may not be worth poo poo, honestly i'd ask yall to do nothing more than try to remember the past numbers for future consumption

rcp seems to have hosed up some of the math on this interesting graph though, they show both obama and romney with fav > unfav in the tables of polls below but up top their summary boxes give obama unfav - fav instead of fav - unfav. dunno what happened there
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/obama_romney_favorable_unfavorable.html

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Jewel Repetition posted:

The most perfect thing possible would be Cain as Trump's running mate.

Of course, Trump has already said he would prefer an experienced politician to balance the ticket as his VP. Herman must be angling for a cabinet position. I know which one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kea_gag5AZA

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Vox Nihili posted:

A Jeb! supporter right here, folks. Another meltdown.

But seriously...yes, yes, let's all get cozy, sip some Earl Grey and chat about GOP policies in a primary that has quite clearly been dominated by deep dives into position papers and the like.

Are you for real? This whole primary has been nothing but white noise!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol irl

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
This is without a doubt the most interesting GOP primary in the last three decades.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

William Bear posted:

Of course, Trump has already said he would prefer an experienced politician to balance the ticket as his VP. Herman must be angling for a cabinet position. I know which one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kea_gag5AZA

don't care where they stick him just bring the smoking guy with him

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

I mean they are scared because they are horribly racist so your partly correct.

Why do you hate the working class?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Brannock posted:

Christ how loving difficult is it for people to actually go after Trump on poo poo that isn't immediately falsifiable, there's hundreds of this stuff

Instead idiots elect to tackle "issues" that can be successfully argued down and makes their position look even more laughable than it immediately comes off as

Gonna tackle this one before I read any more posts: they're really, really loving stupid and belligerent as a defense mechanism.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Clintons have a full proof plan to defeat Warboss Trump

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/us/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-general-election.html

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

at least they're smart enough to take him seriously unlike the leightweights

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
It's pretty cool how after the nomination we get to watch everyone go through all five stages all over again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

He's in love with Trump, so... not so much.

Then they'll be even sweeter in a few months.:unsmigghh:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Montasque posted:

Why do you hate the working class?

Most working class aren't racist. In fact; they make up a large portion of the democratic voting base!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Gonna tackle this one before I read any more posts: they're really, really loving stupid and belligerent as a defense mechanism.

:qq:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Stopped reading.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2016/02/29/dont-vote-donald-trump/

Witness the final gasps of a useless opposition

quote:

Life is certainly a mystery. It’s almost impossible at times to understand phenomenons that occur whether in culture, politics or life in general. Surely there is no greater mystery that I can think of than the rise of Donald Trump in the Republican Party since last June. He has a good shot of winning the GOP nomination based on what we have seen thus far. If he does get the nomination, he will run against Hillary Clinton. And he will lose — badly — and he will almost assuredly, destroy the Republican Party as we know it...

He’s an authoritarian with a fascist streak. He praises people such as Vladimir Putin and praised the Chinese government actions in Tiananmen square. Why? Because they show “strength.” As long as somebody is showing “strength” to Donald, it does’t matter what they’re doing. That is a dangerous way to think about almost anything as it relates to the Presidency. Donald Trump keeps referring to president terms as “reigns.” Naturally, he sees the Presidency as a way for him exert power. He thinks people will be their to serve him, not the other way around...

Nobody is perfect, but Donald Trump sees marriage as nothing but a title. He has openly bragged about the married women he has bedded. He claims he’s never asked God for forgiveness because he believes he has never done anything wrong. That is impossible and such hubris will be dangerous in the White House. How does he respect the constitution when he’s constantly making threats about suing journalists who don’t kiss his rear end. He has supported partial birth abortion. He supports the continued subsidization of Planned Parenthood who uses the money to snuff out the lives of 300,000 babies a year. As for guns, he claims to be a staunch defender of the second amendment but has show himself to be a gun grabber on more than one occasion.

It simply makes no sense to openly support a man who doesn’t care one bit about your concerns...

Tomorrow, when you go to the polls in any one of the Super Tuesday states, think about the consequences.

If you’re asking, “If not Donald Trump, then who?”, the answer is….anybody. I am a Marco Rubio supporter but I will back Ted Cruz all the way. Hell I’ll support John Kasich before I would support Trump.

Vote for any of them over an authoritarian fraud and con man. Your country as you know it hangs in the balance.

• Locked thread