Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

For starters, maybe stop venturing deeper into it?

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set believes in natural cures.

Working Daze knows technology marches on.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix ponders the horror of cuteness.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

The gently caress is this art? Oh, apparently Adams is away working on a movie. For a month. So we get a month of this weirdness, four different people, one each week.

Yes, Scott, it is the market's fault that you can't write anything but nerdy white guy characters.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Tunicate posted:

Oh hey, the baking hobo prophesy in Mary Worth hasn't come true yet.
Yeah that was a rather cruel McGuffin they threw in there, wasn't it? "Oh something's going to happen! Oh wait ice skating? Why are they ice skating?"

Mary Worth

Person: the weekly magazine about one guy. I enjoy the annual "Sexiest Day Alive" issue.

Rex Morgan MD

Slowly back away from the crazy old people, Rex, get in your car, and drive away. You don't want to live on this block.

Secret Agent X-9

I thought Billy (Billie) couldn't possibly be as dumb as he appeared the other day, but apparently everyone is that dumb in X-9 World.

Apartment 3-G

Everybody hurts...sometimes.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 5, 1951)

Barnaby (July 13, 1942)

Nancy (March 22, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (December 3, 1928)

Today I'm adding a new strip to my dailies: Gasoline Alley. Created by Frank King in 1918 (and still going strong today), Gasoline Alley is typically understood to be the first soap opera strip. As of 1923, when this set of scans begins, the strip's protagonist is Walt Wallet, whose main personality trait is that he's a reliable, loyal, loving, and fiercely protective friend. Secondary characters include Mrs. Blossom, Walt's love interest; Rachel, Walt's housemaid; and Skeezix, a foundling that Walt's in the process of trying to adopt.

Gasoline Alley (January 1, 1923)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

treasureplane posted:

Today I'm adding a new strip to my dailies: Gasoline Alley. Created by Frank King in 1918 (and still going strong today), Gasoline Alley is typically understood to be the first soap opera strip. As of 1923, when this set of scans begins, the strip's protagonist is Walt Wallet, whose main personality trait is that he's a reliable, loyal, loving, and fiercely protective friend. Secondary characters include Mrs. Blossom, Walt's love interest; Rachel, Walt's housemaid; and Skeezix, a foundling that Walt's in the process of trying to adopt.

Fantastic addition, I've been curious about what the strip must've been like back in the day ever since we got a taste of the... aesthetically questionable modern incarnation, and literally one strip in we're doing pretty swell. I'll be reading this with great interest.

e: VVV Yeah, now that the focus is off the dad's doubts about O'Malley it's feeling fresh again.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 29, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Barnaby's taken a bit of a narrative turn. Glad we stuck with it.

e: Skeezix already going for the shrugging pose

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Good Time Guy's also picking up, now that it's not just him getting dumped on by everybody.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

How is that at all special?

'everyone in this village can speakcommunicate with the local language'

Amazing.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Mary Worth only reads the large print edition of Reader's Digest and you know it.

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex I realize you're used to relying on the kindness of strangers but this is one of those situations where maybe you should consider paying someone to inspect a house you're considering purchasing, and thus will not need to worry about whether or not these two old crazy people think it's structurally sound

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

dismas posted:

Rex . . . consider paying someone

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Manuel Calavera posted:

Dilbert

The gently caress is this art? Oh, apparently Adams is away working on a movie. For a month. So we get a month of this weirdness, four different people, one each week.

Scott Adams posted:

The reason Dilbert lacks diversity is because the market does not yet allow a white male to write humor about well-organized minority groups.

:stonklol:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set works its feminine wiles.

Working Daze knows people are into those emjojis, right? That's still a thing?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a small price to pay.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

treasureplane posted:

Love this addition!

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

One of my favorites.

Nenonen posted:

Scott Adams: The reason Dilbert lacks diversity is because the market does not yet allow a white male to write humor about well-organized minority groups.
I wonder what you could do about this, Scott, I dunno, I dunno .. maybe you could TRY. Asswipe.

The original idea was to have readers of the comic draw the vacation strips - many left samples in the comments for him to review. In the end (for "very boring") reasons, folks at his syndicate will be filling in instead. After looking at some submissions, I can state assuredly that "very boring reasons" = "they sucked."

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Guess If They Are Married! This comic is from the Everett True era - about 1915 (from the always amazing Milwaukee Journal). I can't find much information about it online. It comes and goes in scans that are available, but this first one cracked me up.

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Oh, God, I'm sorry.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do enjoy Everett True beating the hell out of the big business politicians, assholes, litterbugs, and manspreaders, but sometimes it gets a little iffy with the 'wristwatches are for women, you queer!' *SMASH*

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 31, 1928)

Pogo (March 1 and 3, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (May 17-19, 1954)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Slammy posted:

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Puffed rice was invented nearly thirty years prior, but making it still required "puffing guns," rotating metal vessels in which grains were both heated and pressurized. Quickly opening the vessel caused water in the grains to vaporize and expand all at once, puffing the grain (and shooting it everywhere), but it was an inefficient process. Also, the puffing guns were heavy machinery, reinforced in order to protect against rupturing.

Trent posted:

I do enjoy Everett True beating the hell out of the big business politicians, assholes, litterbugs, and manspreaders, but sometimes it gets a little iffy with the 'wristwatches are for women, you queer!' *SMASH*

True hates obnoxiousness in all its forms, including affectations—which is what men's wristwatches were before World War I. He's not gay-bashing, he's punching a hipster.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Slammy posted:

Life In Hell

Oh, God, I'm sorry.

My God...it's worse than Tim Buckley.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Slammy posted:

Guess If They Are Married! This comic is from the Everett True era - about 1915 (from the always amazing Milwaukee Journal). I can't find much information about it online. It comes and goes in scans that are available, but this first one cracked me up.

This is great! I'm not so sure about the mini-gags below the main panels, but it's funny.

Moomin

I have two questions for the moomin-minded in the thread:

1) I just bought the third book, have any of these stories been posted yet? If not, I'll move on to them after Moomin Mamma's Maid.

2) The local Amazon also has a couple of the Lars Jansson's Moomin comic books, have any of you read those? Are they as good as Tove's stories? If they're good, I'll buy those books too.

Classic Dilbert

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slammy posted:

I wonder what you could do about this, Scott, I dunno, I dunno .. maybe you could TRY. Asswipe.

The original idea was to have readers of the comic draw the vacation strips - many left samples in the comments for him to review. In the end (for "very boring") reasons, folks at his syndicate will be filling in instead. After looking at some submissions, I can state assuredly that "very boring reasons" = "they sucked."
I'm actually pretty amazed that Adams isn't willing to tell people they suck to their "faces" give the kind of poo poo he posts on his blog and such.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm actually pretty amazed that Adams isn't willing to tell people they suck to their "faces" give the kind of poo poo he posts on his blog and such.

No, no, no, these were fans willing to do his job for him, make him money, and get no recompense. Those are the kind of suckers you thank effusively.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Julet Esqu posted:

Is it my imagination or is the art different? The shading looks all crosshatched and stippled. Kind of pop-arty. But maybe it's been that way for a while and I didn't notice.

Isabel is constantly horny due to her hot Latin blood. I mean, all the women in this comic are constantly horny, but because Isabel is Latina she's even MORE horny and Brooke has to write her as a borderline rapist to set her apart.

I thought it was because she was a walking Brillo Pad and only a masochist would have sex with a Brillo pad. Then again, if your choice is a Brillo Pad or the gaping maw of the Shai Hulud..

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

What about the last house? It doesn't even have a garage. Not to mention the fact that it's possible to have an unobstructed garage with no car in it, or own a car but choose to take the bus.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

True hates obnoxiousness in all its forms, including affectations—which is what men's wristwatches were before World War I. He's not gay-bashing, he's punching a hipster.
Updated for today's audiences:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How is that at all special?

'everyone in this village can speakcommunicate with the local language'

Amazing.

Indigenously created sign languages are kind of a big deal in linguistics because they can reveal a lot about the process of language creation. Guatemalan Sign Language has been exhaustively researched for that reason.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Slammy posted:

Outbusts of Everett True

This one from a few days back got to me. I never would have thought that at one point in history this was some big breach of decorum.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

:tviv:
Thank God the Evanses have been spared the torture of coming up with another new character!

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Daduzi posted:

Indigenously created sign languages are kind of a big deal in linguistics because they can reveal a lot about the process of language creation. Guatemalan Sign Language has been exhaustively researched for that reason.

I guess, though my main problem was with the 'every one' in the 'every one in this village communicates this way'.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

:golfclap:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I guess, though my main problem was with the 'every one' in the 'every one in this village communicates this way'.

I guess it's kind of interesting that a whole village know sign language even though they're (presumably) not all deaf.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Darkest Auer posted:

I have two questions for the moomin-minded in the thread:

1) I just bought the third book, have any of these stories been posted yet? If not, I'll move on to them after Moomin Mamma's Maid.

I remember Club Life, but I don't mind the repeats. It's been a few years.

I'd never read Moomin until these threads, so thanks for introducing it to me. Same to the people who post other good old comics like King Aroo and Gay and Her Gang.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Daduzi posted:

I guess it's kind of interesting that a whole village know sign language even though they're (presumably) not all deaf.

I read a bit about it, and it seems like there is actually a relatively high occurrence of deafness over there (below 10%, but still). So it makes sense to learn the language to be able to communicate with deaf neighbors/family members.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Andorra posted:

I remember Club Life, but I don't mind the repeats. It's been a few years.

I'd never read Moomin until these threads, so thanks for introducing it to me. Same to the people who post other good old comics like King Aroo and Gay and Her Gang.

I think Moomin and the Martians was posted, too. But, similarly, I'm fine with repeats.

I would like to see Moominvalley Turns Jungle, though.

Is Leslie someone we're supposed to know?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's one of the generic bullies. Possibly the guy who had a fight over the toilet?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Is Leslie someone we're supposed to know?

One time a girl was using the men's restroom on account of the ladies' being out of order, and Les tried to go in anyway that monstrous son of a loving fucker

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Really Pants posted:

One time a girl was using the men's restroom on account of the ladies' being out of order, and Les tried to go in anyway that monstrous son of a loving fucker

Ohhhhhh that guy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also he repeatedly hit on the hispanic girl that they wrote out of the comic and gunther was too much of a weenie to do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Darkest Auer posted:

2) The local Amazon also has a couple of the Lars Jansson's Moomin comic books, have any of you read those? Are they as good as Tove's stories? If they're good, I'll buy those books too.

Moomin and the Sea was posted but it was a long time ago (something like 5+ years, maybe?) and it's one of my favorites anyway. I have a few of the Lars books and they're good so I'd go for it :)

Pickles

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

TOBY

TOBY evil again? :ohdear:

• Locked thread